Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Witness history being made.....

2 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

i get most here don't get sprinting

You're probably right.  

Could you please explain the entire concept of "several people running as fast as possible towards and objective and the first person to reach that objective is declared the winner."  This is a very complex sporting event for sure.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Sure. Its a noteworthy news feat and there isn't a max number of threads that can be started. So cool - good for the kid.

I just don't understand why his race/ethnicity was brought into it. That seems entirely irrelevant.

I wouldn't say the issue of race is entirely irrelevant in this instance.

3 minutes ago, McJose said:

You're probably right.  

Could you please explain the entire concept of "several people running as fast as possible towards and objective and the first person to reach that objective is declared the winner."  This is a very complex sporting event for sure.

If you are confused over a 100m dash, I doubt anything that can be said could help you.

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I wouldn't say the issue of race is entirely irrelevant in this instance.

The big story is this...WHITE USA SPRINTER RUNS A SUB10.00.  Which had never been done.  Yes race is the story here.  The HS thing secondary.

Edited by ZenoRazon

Just now, ZenoRazon said:

If you are confused over a 100m dash, I doubt anything that can be said could help you.

I AM totally confused.  

So these competitors run for a distance of 100 meters?  Did I get that right?  

Does the route aways have to be in a straight line or can it be curved or angled?  

Would it be possible for the racers to run 50 meters in one direction and then run back in the other direction for a total of 100 meters?

Could a racer run ten 10 meter lengths and then add up the times to determine his 100 meter time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, ZenoRazon said:

The big story is this...WHITE USA SPRINTER RUNS A SUB10.00.  Which had never been done.  Yes race is the story here.  The HS think secondary.

According to folks in the link you posted (for what it's worth), that is not accurate.

2 minutes ago, McJose said:

I AM totally confused.  

So these competitors run for a distance of 100 meters?  Did I get that right?  

Does the route aways have to be in a straight line or can it be curved or angled?  

Would it be possible for the racers to run 50 meters in one direction and then run back in the other direction for a total of 100 meters?

Could a racer run ten 10 meter lengths and then add up the times to determine his 100 meter time?

It appears a 100m sprint is a  bit too complex for ya McJose,  Google....the 100 meters....and read.

33 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I just don't understand why his race/ethnicity was brought into it. That seems entirely irrelevant.

Because nearly all national and international sprinting records, including on the high school level, are held by black athletes.  So the kid being white adds a surprising aspect to his feat which many people find interesting due to its novelty.

I've seen several comments from what appear to be black commenters on other sites saying something to the effect of "That white boy is fast!" regarding Boling.  Should they also be admonished for noticing that Boling's race is different than nearly all his top competitors?

Excitement

Based on a true story

The year was 1954, the place/event The California State High School Track and Field Championships. The next event on the track the finals of the boys 100 yard dash.

James Jackson from Alameda HS had just tied the National 100 yard record of 9.4 (Jesse Owens) a week prior and had never lost a 100 yards, he was undefeated.

Delano's Lemon King ran his record tying 9.4 a week before Jackson and he also had never lost a 100 yard dash.

Here we had the two fastest HS kids in the world finally meeting.  the crowd was on their feet, news crews from all over the world where he to wiitness this.

In lane five  stood the short but muscular James Jackson wearing his now famous on black knee high sock looking totally confident. Right next to him the long tall slender Lemon King looking as serious and determined as it gets.

The starter.....runners come to your marks. As a hush came over the crowd,. you could hear a pin drop,

Set............

12 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Because nearly all national and international sprinting records, including on the high school level, are held by black athletes.  So the kid being white adds a surprising aspect to his feat which many people find interesting due to its novelty.

I've seen several comments from what appear to be black commenters on other sites saying something to the effect of "That white boy is fast!" regarding Boling.  Should they also be admonished for noticing that Boling's race is different than nearly all his top competitors?

I knew somebody here would get it.

When Christophe LeMaitre from France became the first white to break 10.00 we all got it,, there was no reason to play silly games about it, all that race BS went out the window, just tell it like it really is....FINALLY a white guy broke 10.00.

When people get silly over race is when it gets annoying.

There are no white cornerbacks in the NFL.  Yep, they lack the speed to run with black WR's, just a simple fact of life, anyone getting all uptight over facts is on them.

Edited by ZenoRazon

6 hours ago, Gary Coal Man said:

It's a bizarre character trait to complain that a thread was started.  If you're not interested in the topic or if the topic offends you why not move to a thread where you can comment positively on a topic you're interested in rather than negatively on a topic you're not interested in, but others may be.  There's a reason why that particular video of that kid setting a new high school world record has nearly 59,00 views, 230 comments (nearly all of which are positive), and all track and field publications are covering it -- because his feat is newsworthy.

Far dumber and more pointless topics have received their own thread on this site.

Can I complain about the thread title?  If it would have said anything like “white high school track” I never would have clicked. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

29 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

So what is accurate?

According to your link, that four other white sprinters have run sub-10 seconds on the 100m dash.  But I guess none of them were American?  If so, I guess you're right.

Edited by bigbottom

This would be the All Time 100m for Paleface USA Sprinters

lane

1.Charles Paddock  USC  1920 Olympic gold/WR 9.5

2.Mel Patton USC WR 9.3 Olympic 200m gold

3.Dave Sime  Duke WR 9.3 Olympic 10m silver/gtrandpa of Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey

4.Bobby Morrow  ACU 1956 Olympic 100/200m gold/ WR9.3

5.Hal Davis Cal WR 9.4....he had no Olympics to win in 1940, he would have,

6.Frank Wykoff USC WR9.4

7.James Teeters  Oklahoma State 10.00, he is currently competing (big cat, why no football?)

8.Kevin Little  Drake 10.13, better at 200m.

I do expect Boling to be there someday.

Edited by ZenoRazon

This is how these threads always go with Zeno for anybody not paying attention. Eventually it comes down to really dated notions of "common sense" when it comes to athletics and "old school" when it comes to sociopolitical issues and the like. It's a drag. 

It's predictable how these threads go (BECAUSE HE STARTS A ####### ####-TON OF THEM) when the subject is white or black. 

Let's talk speedy, quick, elusive white running backs, go ahead.  Who is that 220 pound white running back with 4.5 jets, who?

See why when someone unusual shows up it's news?

Yes, and pointing it out is as controversial as mud. What you don't account for is the degree to which race acts as a deterrent to attempt to enter or participate rather than a predetermining trait or thing. See: European basketball players and the NBA.

Edited by rockaction

12 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

According to your link, that four other white sprinters have run sub-10 seconds on the 100m dash.  But I guess none of them were American?  If so, I guess you're right.

The big news is.....White USA sprinter breaks 10.00.....and for that to be just some HS kid....wow~

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

This is how these threads always go with Zeno for anybody not paying attention. Eventually it comes down to really dated notions of "common sense" when it comes to athletics and "old school" when it comes to sociopolitical issues and the like. It's a drag. 

It's predictable how these threads go (BECAUSE HE STARTS A ####### ####-TON OF THEM) when the subject is white or black. 

I always looked at you as a guy who took this suff WAY too seriously, how about just relaxing a bit guy, ok?  Talk a little track, music, whatever, stop worrying about what others do, alright?

Dude, chill, ok?

I always looked at you as a guy who took this suff WAY too seriously, how about just relaxing a bit guy, ok?  Talk a little track, music, whatever, stop worrying about what others do, alright?

Dude, chill, ok?

Dude, that's great that you look at me that way. You have no idea how communities form, how to elicit a response, how to know when to break a rule, etc.

I'm not worried about what you do anymore, you simply now annoy me with your redundancy and predictability. I'm very chill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yes, and pointing it out is as controversial as mud. What you don't account for is the degree to which race acts as a deterrent to attempt to enter rather than as a predetermined thing. See: European basketball players and the NBA.

Talking speed and size here.

Just now, ZenoRazon said:

Talking speed and size here.

Yes. European basketball players had the combination of the speed and size necessary for basketball that people thought white athletes lacked for decades. What people didn't ever consider was the barriers to entry and the seeking out of other sports and positions, on average, more likely to suit white athletes rather than attempt to individuate and judge each individual based on just that -- the individual. This seeking out of other sports more suited to bodies of European descent affected white participation in basketball or white prominence in the edges and backs of football.

The same can be said of baseball and hockey and barriers to entry, be they physical or sociopolitical (cost and space, etc.)

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Dude, that's great that you look at me that way. You have no idea how communities form, how to elicit a response, how to know when to break a rule, etc.

I'm not worried about what you do anymore, you simply now annoy me with your redundancy and predictability. I'm very chill.

You really do need to just have fun this stuff guy, it really isn't all that, ok guy?

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yes. European basketball players had the combination of the speed and size necessary for basketball that people thought white athletes lacked for decades. What people didn't ever consider was the barriers to entry and the seeking out of other sports and positions, on average, more likely to suit white athletes rather than attempt to individuate and judge each individual based on just that -- the individual. This seeking out of other sports more suited to bodies of European descent affected white participation in basketball or white prominence in the edges and backs of football.

The same can be said of baseball and hockey and barriers to entry, be they physical or sociopolitical (cost and space, etc.)

When talking sprinting the difference between those with roots to western Africa and the rest of the world is totally dramatic, far bigger gap than any other sport.

4 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

When talking sprinting the difference between those with roots to western Africa and the rest of the world is totally dramatic, far bigger gap than any other sport.

This has been covered for decades about the difference between West and East Africa and the so-called fast and slow-twitch muscles assigned to each region, race, and continent. But individuation, mixed with multiracial offspring, has muddied the waters and lessened the absoluteness of any broad categorical judgment.  Indeed, even if we are to take as given that:

1. races are easily delineated
  2. they are not socially constructed and 
  3. tend to have tendencies that cluster around an average as far as heritable physical and/or intellectual traits

we are forgetting that individuals are outliers from the average almost all the time, especially among males. 

Edited by rockaction

14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yes, and pointing it out is as controversial as mud. What you don't account for is the degree to which race acts as a deterrent to attempt to enter or participate rather than a predetermining trait or thing. See: European basketball players and the NBA.

Alright, let's extend that train of thought.  Basketball is wildly popular in China.  Chinese boys grow up playing basketball, and China has a 20 team professional basketball league that has produced a handful of NBA players.  So both the participation and the "seeing someone who looks like me excelling" factors have been filled.  Why don't we see more Chinese players in the NBA since so many people in the world's most populous nation participate in basketball?

And are white boys really deterred from participating in high school track?  There's undoubtedly more white high school track athletes in America than there are black high school track athletes, but the black sprinters still dominate at the national level.  Just is what it is.

23 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Alright, let's extend that train of thought.  Basketball is wildly popular in China.  Chinese boys grow up playing basketball, and China has a 20 team professional basketball league that has produced a handful of NBA players.  So both the participation and the "seeing someone who looks like me excelling" factors have been filled.  Why don't we see more Chinese players in the NBA since so many people in the world's most populous nation participate in basketball?

And are white boys really deterred from participating in high school track?  There's undoubtedly more white high school track athletes in America than there are black high school track athletes, but the black sprinters still dominate at the national level.  Just is what it is.

Social pressures and artificial constructs regarding sport play a large role in who participates. See Malcolm Gladwell's study of the Canadian National Junior Hockey Team and birthdays, for instance. Something as simple as being born in January was statistically significant given the age cutoffs at youth levels and physical development, where early development served to benefit the January babies while weeding out the later ones from participating due to a lack of prowess because of the timeline of average physical development.

Barriers to entry are subtle and often overlooked by those even smarter than us. Common wisdom is often wrong. Do blacks lack the faculties necessary to play quarterback, as was thought for decades even while football was integrated? No. That is overt, though. There are subtler pressures likely at work here. 

Edited by rockaction

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Social pressures and artificial constructs regarding sport play a large role in who participates.

Perhaps, but we still have more white high school students than black high school students participating in track in America, and it's always been that way.  So some supposed lack of white participation in high school track isnt't leading to lack of whites excelling at the highest level of sprints like, say, lack of historical black participation in hockey led to a lack of black players in the NHL.

Do blacks lack the faculties necessary to play quarterback, as was thought for decades even while football was integrated? Yes.  

I respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

There are subtler pressures likely at work here. 

Would you concede that there's also likely genetics at work here?

7 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Would you concede that there's also likely genetics at work here?

To a degree, yes. I think we can admit that human beings tend to cluster around certain averages by race while also not denying that there are real social pressures regarding participation in certain events and entry into certain positions and games. There are always outliers, and I think they're more common than we think. 

28 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This has been covered for decades about the difference between West and East Africa and the so-called fast and slow-twitch muscles assigned to each region, race, and continent. But individuation, mixed with multiracial offspring, has muddied the waters and lessened the absoluteness of any broad categorical judgment.  Indeed, even if we are to take as given that:

1. races are easily delineated
  2. they are not socially constructed and 
  3. tend to have tendencies that cluster around an average as far as heritable physical and/or intellectual traits

we are forgetting that individuals are outliers from the average almost all the time, especially among males. 

What is it about the greatest running backs....

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Eric Dickerson

Emmitt Smith

O.J.Simpson

Adrian Peterson

Greatest 100m sprinters

Usain Bolt

Justin Gatlin

Yohan Blake

Tyson Gay

Bob Hayes

Mo Greene

Carl Lewis

Greatest WR....Jerry Rice

Greatest DB...Deion Sanders

Greatest KR...Devin Hester

Greatest long jumper...Carl Lewis

Aren't you getting?  All with those western African roots.

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

To a degree, yes. I think we can admit that human beings tend to cluster around certain averages by race while also not denying that there are real social pressures regarding participation in certain events and entry into certain positions and games. There are always outliers, and I think they're more common than we think. 

You are telling me those quicks, agility, elusiveness we see from a Gale Sayers, Devin Hester, Marshall Faulk, O.J.Simpson, Tyreek Hill,  isn't ALL about genetics?  Huh????

You do know studies have been made proving a different physique, right?

Edited by ZenoRazon

China, Poland, Iran, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Iraq, Pakistan, Italy, Greece, Ireland, Japan, Afganistan, France, Mongolia, Syria, combined can't match that tiny Caribbean island Trinidad when it comes to sprinting....why?

This is something unique to the black athlete,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Ms_37TWBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2-q0dJlYIc

That has...0....to do with culure, social economical, and all that other other silliness, this is just something blacks possess that others don't, yep, a gift.

Edited by ZenoRazon

7 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Yep, this is why it's newsworthy.

Edited to add:  It was a wind-aided race.  Per the Houston Chronicle, "[t]he 4.2 mph wind prevents it from counting officially as a national record, but it's the fastest open 100 time in all conditions in high school history."

I knew it.  He farted out of the starting blocks for extra propulsion, didn't he?

Thanks for the thread. We all could have read Taboo or listened to our fathers or used "common sense" to draw conclusions as radical as you have. The problem is this:

1. You have no idea how history will turn out
  2. You have no idea how to quantify social pressures or even address them
  3. You have no idea how to handle outliers from racial averages
  4. You have no idea how to use nuance and anything other than observation of artificial constructs and rules for drawing conclusions

It's really something more suited for fifth-grade discussion than serious discussion the way you go about it, but you'd have no idea about that. It was said not more than decades ago that whites and those of European descent would not play basketball at the level of blacks or those of West African descent, and yet it happens routinely these days. It took the social barriers to fall, like barriers to entry and participation, notably the European adoption of basketball as a primary sport in addition to soccer.

You can't tell that the lack of representation of blacks in baseball and hockey is anything but social barriers to entry when baseball was once very multiracial and integrated and proof of the similarity of the races regarding baseball's skill set.