What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Witness history being made..... (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon said:
My cousin Mikey and I went to a Biker bar for tacos, the best tacos in the world. The owners wife is from TJ she speaks no English but man can she make some serious tacos. While munching down our tacos a big cat walked in bragging about how he could wipe anyone in the joint. Mikey hit him over the head with a  beer pitcher, knocked him out cold.

Great tacos.
Great story. But, I'm gonna need to know the race of everybody involved in the story to truly appreciate it, ok?

The kid has wings on his feet.  Good for him.  It's better than my best time in the 100, and my time was at 100 yards, not meters.  Yes I'm old.
While in a Kansas High School NFL RB to be John Riggins (lighter than the 240 Redskin) won the State Championship in 9.8 yards.

Packer WR Jordy Nelson also a Kansas State 100m champ, don't know his time.

Riggins the first 1000 yard rusher for both the Jets and Redskins.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is actually room for good discussion about sprinting in this thread. For instance:

Is sprinting the kind of sport in which elite high-schoolers can make significant improvement in their times between age ~18 to, say, ~22-23? Or even a little older than that?

Seeing Boling's run made me curious about how old Usain Bolt was when he first ran an official sub-10.0 at a meet. Might be able to Google that.

EDIT: Heard this during the last Olympics, but had forgotten: Bolt trained exclusively as a 200- and 400-meter sprinter until the 2007 Jamaican championships, a few months before he turned 21. His first official 100m time was 10.03. One year later, Bolt ran the 100m in 9.76, two-hundredths of a second off the world record. Less than a month after running 9.76, he ran a 9.72 to take over the 100m world record at age 21 years and 9 months.

Bolt set his standing world record of 9.58 ten days shy of his 23rd birthday.
Bolt started off as a 400m, but was simply too lazy to put in the training that event takes, so he got more into the 200m.  And that was his event for years, with a once in awhile 400/4x4 relay.  But, he kept bugging his coach about running the 100m,  the belief was he was simply too tall to have the start. Yep, wrong.

What seperates Bolt from everybody else is his speed endurance,  he is on a whole other level there and it is due to all those years of training as a 200/400 cat. No other stud 100m cats started out like he did.

What is happening is this....

World class sprinters hit that topend/max velocity around 60/70ish meters, once there now it's that sustain/maintain as high as % of that TE/MV as you can, this is speed endurance. Then around 85ish here comes that decelleration phase, those who decellerate slower because of superior SE have a huge advantage.  Bolt doesn't hit his TE/MV until later in a 100m, he's more 80ish so....if he can sustain/maintain  up into 90ish his decelleration phase will be tiny. So more of his race is acelleration/topend/max velocity than anyone else, less time decellerating.  Of course a 6-5 stride is totally unique at 100m also.

did someone around here determine what alias this Zeno guy was?  
What's is with you people?  Who needs an alias?  Why would anyone do that silly BS? i sure in the hell don't play that  immature little kid silliness.

That's as ridiculous as.....you're a troll...hahahaha~

Been doing this as long as anyone here, I don't troll, don't use multi's, ok? 

Who here was talking all those who beat Jesse Owens n a 100?  Who here was talking Texas piano players in the 1920's?  Who here was talking who did back up Jim Brown?  Let me guess......nobody. 

Anyone who needs an alias is a sad little twek.

Matthew Boling breaking the high school 100M record (albeit, wind-aided) has gone viral over the past day with numerous mainstream media outlets deeming it newsworthy.  One of those mainstream media outlets, CBS News, even noted Boling's nickname, White Lightning, in their headline.  Commenters of all races are also noticing the obvious -- Boling's race -- and are having a good time with it in their comments.  This is how normal view this feat, and there's nothing wrong with that.

CBS News

ESPN
It all changed in the early 60's with the emergence of Bullet Bob Hayes. Up until then whire sprinter were holding their own, hell they won the 52 Lindy Remigino, 56 Bobby Morrow. 60 Armin Hary Olympic 100m. 

Hayes started running times never seen before and at 5-11 190 was massive for a world class sprinter.  He was actually just a fast football player. The 60's also had Jimmy Hines, Charlie Greene, Tommie Smith a total freak of nature, BUT......USSR sprinter Valery Borzov did win the 72 Olympic 100/200 which was the last stand for white sprinters, since then it's been western African roots sprinters pretty much dominating. A fast white sprinter did become a rarity.

We can't talk Boling and not tell the real story.

Frank Budd who was a good friend and classmate of my father at Long Branch High school way back when ran a world record 9.2 100 yard dash in 1961. In 1962 he ran a world record 20 flat 200 meter. It is claimed that Budd, feeilng a twinge in a muscle, was easing-up the last 70 meters. Hand timed but 20 flat for 200 meters (not yards) 57 years ago is impressive. Another note: Amazingly. Budd achieved his success despite a deformed right calf, the legacy of a childhood disease, possibly polio.

Frank Budd who was a good friend and classmate of my father at Long Branch High school way back when ran a world record 9.2 100 yard dash in 1961. In 1962 he ran a world record 20 flat 200 meter. It is claimed that Budd, feeilng a twinge in a muscle, was easing-up the last 70 meters. Hand timed but 20 flat for 200 meters (not yards) 57 years ago is impressive. Another note: Amazingly. Budd achieved his success despite a deformed right calf, the legacy of a childhood disease, possibly polio.
As you can see Budd was the top ranked sprinter in the world in 1961.

Frank Budd (US)

Dennis Johnson (Jamaica)

Harry Jerome (Canada)

Livio Berruti (Italy)

Bob Hayes (US)

Seraphino Antao (Kenya)

Marian Foik (Poland)

Jocelyn Delecour (France)

David Jones (Great Britain)

10 ................................

Dave James (US

He was out of Villanova which also had Paul Drayton another great sprinter at that time.  Budd did try the NFL (Eagles)  football not his thing it appears.

He was histories first 9.2 sprinter.

You obviously know who he is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dHzg8k4IO8

Just who was the last white athlete to ....

100m..10.1 (9.98 with +4 is a 10.16)

200m..20.5

400m..46.0

long jump ..26-3

Hmmmm?

Great story. But, I'm gonna need to know the race of everybody involved in the story to truly appreciate it, ok?
Really don't get what is going on with this do ya?

White sprinters don't run 9.98 here in the USA.  AND...high school kids don't run a 9.98.

If you know sprinting you get just how big a deal this is.  We had never seen this before, ever.

Try talking the Jackie Robinson story without talking race, good luck.  Try talking the Rolling Stones with no mention of Elmore James and them black blues.

Really don't get what is going on with this do ya?

White sprinters don't run 9.98 here in the USA.  AND...high school kids don't run a 9.98.

If you know sprinting you get just how big a deal this is.  We had never seen this before, ever.

Try talking the Jackie Robinson story without talking race, good luck.  Try talking the Rolling Stones with no mention of Elmore James and them black blues.
White track stars lack of relative success is not because they aren't allowed to compete.  It's not that difficult Xeno.

White track stars lack of relative success is not because they aren't allowed to compete.  It's not that difficult Xeno.
I totally agree it's not difficult at all, it's real simple. Those with roots to western Africa have unique physical attributes more suited for quickness, speed and leaping ability in athletic events. 

I totally agree it's not difficult at all, it's real simple. Those with roots to western Africa have unique physical attributes more suited for quickness, speed and leaping ability in athletic events. 
I'm way outside my area of expertise here, but I don't think this is true. My understanding of it is that the "physical attributes" in question are genes that are more prevalent in West Africans, but not in any way shape or form unique to them. The reason they excel is that the prevalence of those genes leads to a cultural emphasis on sprinting that results in identifying the people with this genetic makeup at a young age, which makes it more likely they can become a world class sprinter. And, correspondingly, more chance that one or more of those world class sprinters will become Olympic final caliber sprinters. That doesn't mean that the West Africans have an advantage over the rare non-West Africans who share those particular genetic traits, however.

This is why, for example, Japan was able to come in second in the 4 x 100 relay in Rio and China was able to come in fourth. They don't have nearly as many people who have that genetic makeup, but since they have a much larger population than, say, Jamaica, and because they have a culture that at least pays some attention to Olympic events and track more specifically, they were able to locate and train enough of them to put together a world class relay. If the physical attribute was unique to people with West African heritage there's no way that people of Chinese heritage would be able to compete at that level.

Here's the article I got this from- it's from a "why does India suck at track and field" perspective but it explains all this stuff and talks about the 4 x 100 at Rio.

All that to say there's nothing all that special about a white dude running super fast, other than it being amazing regardless of his race at that age. He's the same as the West African dudes, except that fewer of his racial peers share his special genetic makeup.

Anyway, we have to have some geneticist around here who understand this stuff better than me, a random nerd who read a couple articles. There used to be a Duke guy in the ACC basketball threads who did this for a living, I think.  @Genedoc maybe? Haven't seen or heard from him in years.

Bolt started off as a 400m, but was simply too lazy to put in the training that event takes, so he got more into the 200m.  And that was his event for years, with a once in awhile 400/4x4 relay.  But, he kept bugging his coach about running the 100m,  the belief was he was simply too tall to have the start. Yep, wrong.

What seperates Bolt from everybody else is his speed endurance,  he is on a whole other level there and it is due to all those years of training as a 200/400 cat. No other stud 100m cats started out like he did.

What is happening is this....

World class sprinters hit that topend/max velocity around 60/70ish meters, once there now it's that sustain/maintain as high as % of that TE/MV as you can, this is speed endurance. Then around 85ish here comes that decelleration phase, those who decellerate slower because of superior SE have a huge advantage.  Bolt doesn't hit his TE/MV until later in a 100m, he's more 80ish so....if he can sustain/maintain  up into 90ish his decelleration phase will be tiny. So more of his race is acelleration/topend/max velocity than anyone else, less time decellerating.  Of course a 6-5 stride is totally unique at 100m also.
There's a lot of wrong here, buddy.  It would be a disadvantage to hit your top speed that late in the race.  Hitting top speed early and sustaining it would be the best scenario.  No way Bolt doesn't hit top speed before 80m.  Also, if you are a 100 m sprinter, it is probably best if you do NOT decelerate until AFTER you cross the damn finish line, unless of course you are saving yourself for a later heat or you are already winning by a comfortable margin and just want to start your early celebration.  

I'm way outside my area of expertise here, but I don't think this is true. My understanding of it is that the "physical attributes" in question are genes that are more prevalent in West Africans, but not in any way shape or form unique to them. The reason they excel is that the prevalence of those genes leads to a cultural emphasis on sprinting that results in identifying the people with this genetic makeup at a young age, which makes it more likely they can become a world class sprinter. And, correspondingly, more chance that one or more of those world class sprinters will become Olympic final caliber sprinters. That doesn't mean that the West Africans have an advantage over the rare non-West Africans who share those particular genetic traits, however.

This is why, for example, Japan was able to come in second in the 4 x 100 relay in Rio and China was able to come in fourth. They don't have nearly as many people who have that genetic makeup, but since they have a much larger population than, say, Jamaica, and because they have a culture that at least pays some attention to Olympic events and track more specifically, they were able to locate and train enough of them to put together a world class relay. If the physical attribute was unique to people with West African heritage there's no way that people of Chinese heritage would be able to compete at that level.

Here's the article I got this from- it's from a "why does India suck at track and field" perspective but it explains all this stuff and talks about the 4 x 100 at Rio.

All that to say there's nothing all that special about a white dude running super fast, other than it being amazing regardless of his race at that age. He's the same as the West African dudes, except that fewer of his racial peers share his special genetic makeup.

Anyway, we have to have some geneticist around here who understand this stuff better than me, a random nerd who read a couple articles. There used to be a Duke guy in the ACC basketball threads who did this for a living, I think.  @Genedoc maybe? Haven't seen or heard from him in years.
 Why do Nigerians look totally different physically from Kenyan?  Why do Samoans look totally different physically from Filipino's?  Where are those 220 pounders white NFL RB's with 4.4 jets?

Are you saying we don't see dramatic differences in physiques out there?

Just one of many....

The study of race and athletic performance is best described as
intriguing but immature. Geneticist Claude Bouchard of Laval
University in Quebec has determined that certain human athletic
traits, such as anaerobic power and training capacity, have a
powerful genetic component, suggesting that, to a significant
extent, athletes are born, not made. One Bouchard study that
compared black West Africans with white French Canadians found a
higher percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers and anaerobic
enzymes--both thought to be essential to explosive sprinting--in
the West Africans, but Bouchard is the first to point out that
he was not studying athletes. Until he does, he can only
speculate about how the differences he found relate to athletic
performance.

There's a lot of wrong here, buddy.  It would be a disadvantage to hit your top speed that late in the race.  Hitting top speed early and sustaining it would be the best scenario.  No way Bolt doesn't hit top speed before 80m.  Also, if you are a 100 m sprinter, it is probably best if you do NOT decelerate until AFTER you cross the damn finish line, unless of course you are saving yourself for a later heat or you are already winning by a comfortable margin and just want to start your early celebration.  
Wrong.

First off NOBODY can run a 100m without a decelleration phase, no exceptions.

Yes, it is a huge advantage hitting topend late in a 100m, that saves the amount of distance a sprinter is in that sustain/maintain phase or the speed endurance phase.

Bolt takes longer to get up to his topend than what is considered normal, this is a known fact.

I was a sprinter in high school (10.4 100 yards)  I'm not guessing at this stuff.

Wrong.

Yes, it is a huge advantage hitting topend late in a 100m, that saves the amount of distance a sprinter is in that sustain/maintain phase or the speed endurance phase.

Bolt takes longer to get up to his topend than what is considered normal, this is a known fact.

I was a sprinter in high school (10.4 100 yards)  I'm not guessing at this stuff.
Aren't you the one who loves to tell people to Google it...

10m split times from world record show top speed hit right about 50 m

More split times from Bolt and others.  Asafa Powell's split times from '05 do not show any deceleration, nor do Mo's in '99 or '01.  Others are slight, and I speculate may be endurance related more than anything else.

Aren't you the one who loves to tell people to Google it...

10m split times from world record show top speed hit right about 50 m

More split times from Bolt and others.  Asafa Powell's split times from '05 do not show any deceleration, nor do Mo's in '99 or '01.  Others are slight, and I speculate may be endurance related more than anything else.
What are you talking about?  The chart is telling you what I;m telling you.  I actually was using that chart, see where it says....Bolt won because of speed endurance?  Well, when does speed endurance come into play, yep...80m mark. 

That chart shows what I;m talking abouy.

Does anyone know how much do sprinters generally improve after HS?
Here it is very individualistic, some never improve on what they did in HS, while others are running their PR in  their 30's.  There is no "one size fits all;' with this.

What are you talking about?  The chart is telling you what I;m telling you.  I actually was using that chart, see where it says....Bolt won because of speed endurance?  Well, when does speed endurance come into play, yep...80m mark. 

That chart shows what I;m talking abouy.

Bolt doesn't hit his TE/MV until later in a 100m, he's more 80ish so...
The chart shows max velocity well before 80m.  I am not arguing sustainability.  Clearly being able to sustain top speed is desired.  You said he didn't hit max speed until 80 m.  That is flat wrong.  And if your strategy in a 100 m sprint is to slow down (decelerate) before the finish, you are doing it wrong.  Clearly some people can not help it as they do not have the endurance to maintain, but they are not willfully decelerating as part of some sort design which is the way you implied it.

Wrong.

And the data in my second link above proves this wrong.

The chart shows max velocity well before 80m.  I am not arguing sustainability.  Clearly being able to sustain top speed is desired.  You said he didn't hit max speed until 80 m.  That is flat wrong.  And if your strategy in a 100 m sprint is to slow down (decelerate) before the finish, you are doing it wrong.  Clearly some people can not help it as they do not have the endurance to maintain, but they are not willfully decelerating as part of some sort design which is the way you implied it.
Look at Bolts topend and how long he held it, and there are other races just not that one.  It is a known fact his topend comes later than most.  Not my opinion.

It's not a matter of stragedy, there is no stragedy in a 100m, it's about human capabilities.  We simply can't run 100m all out, it isn't possible.  So it's not about choice it's about you have no choice.

And the data in my second link above proves this wrong.
Look, you are trying way too hard here to...YOU ARE WRONG.  First off you are reading the charts wrong if you aren't seeing that decelleration phase ,  and if you think there are sprinters who can run a 100 all out you have no business even talking sprinting.

NOBOBY....make that....NOBODY...can run 100m all out, that is impossible.

http://speedendurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/how-to-run-the-100m1.jpg

I thought I had read somewhere that guys like Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay and Yohan Blake typically reached top speed at around 30-35 meters and Bolt was around the 50 meter mark.

I thought I had read somewhere that guys like Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay and Yohan Blake typically reached top speed at around 30-35 meters and Bolt was around the 50 meter mark.
No sprinters hit max that early on in a 100m.

It's pretty much...

0-10...start...10-50ish accelleration...50-90..hitting topend, sustaining topend and losing topend....90ish-fiinish ...deceleration phase. It does vary with athlete but pretty much like that.

So when we see a football 40 we never see that topend/sustain/decelleration phase, all we see is the start/acceleration.

Look, you are trying way too hard here to...YOU ARE WRONG.  First off you are reading the charts wrong if you aren't seeing that decelleration phase ,  and if you think there are sprinters who can run a 100 all out you have no business even talking sprinting.

NOBOBY....make that....NOBODY...can run 100m all out, that is impossible.
I don't have the time, nor desire, to give you a lesson on measurement and data analysis right now.  If you want to let your opinion trump the data, then that's on you.  The data for Bolt in more than one race clearly shows a top speed before the 80 m mark which was your claim.  The data for Powell clearly shows a race where he maintained his speed through the finish.  I am not saying he ran top speed all 100m...he had to accelerate up to top speed, but then he maintained it the rest of the way.   

There was a sprinter in the late 60's named Tommie Smith.  He is the guy that had everyone thinking here is that exception to all the rules, that freak of nature,

He came on late in everything he ran, he looked like when he hit the tape he was at his fastest,  it sure did look that way.

Just prior to the 68 Olympics out 4x1 team wanted a tune up race,  so they faced a few teams at forget where.  One of those teams had Tommie Smith on anchor, our USA team had the Olympic 100m champ to be Jimmy Hines on anchor.

At the final exchange Hines had a solid two meters on Smith, then here he came, he ran down the futhre "Worlds Fastest Human".  Which ...see see the guy is a freak.

I don't have the time, nor desire, to give you a lesson on measurement and data analysis right now.  If you want to let your opinion trump the data, then that's on you.  The data for Bolt in more than one race clearly shows a top speed before the 80 m mark which was your claim.  The data for Powell clearly shows a race where he maintained his speed through the finish.  I am not saying he ran top speed all 100m...he had to accelerate up to top speed, but then he maintained it the rest of the way.   
Trust me when I tell you this....you are so off on this it's comical. First off to even use the word....stragedy...in a 100m tells me you don't understand the event, then to talk as if athletes have some choice about that deceleration phase tells me you know....0...about sprinting,.

There are five phases in a 100m.

1.Block clearance/start

2.Acceleration

3.Hit topend

4.Maintain topend/Speed endurance

5.deccelerate

That is from Tom Tellez the guy who coached Carl Lewis.  Not that we aren't all aware of that.

There is no such thing as a non decelleration 100m and  that word....stragedy.,....hahahaha~~~

Trust me when I tell you this....you are so off on this it's comical. First off to even use the word....stragedy...in a 100m tells me you don't understand the event, then to talk as if athletes have some choice about that deceleration phase tells me you know....0...about sprinting,.

There are five phases in a 100m.

1.Block clearance/start

2.Acceleration

3.Hit topend

4.Maintain topend/Speed endurance

5.deccelerate

That is from Tom Tellez the guy who coached Carl Lewis.  Not that we aren't all aware of that.

There is no such thing as a non decelleration 100m and  that word....stragedy.,....hahahaha~~~
Fart

Why not Google....The Deceleration Phase in the 100m...?   It's all there.

It is humanly impossibe to hold your topend  longer than 10ish meters give or take.  Everyone will deal with that deceleration phase, simply how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread