What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Someone Asked Me for Gas at the Pump (1 Viewer)

Jobber

Footballguy
I was filling up at Kwik Trip on the way home today. As I’m standing there, a 20-something guy comes over holding a 5 gallon gas can in one hand, and a toddler in the other.

He says “Would you be kind enough to spare some gas so we can get home?”

Me: “No.”

Is this some sort of scam I’ve never heard of or am I just a complete #####?

I was filling up at Kwik Trip on the way home today. As I’m standing there, a 20-something guy comes over holding a 5 gallon gas can in one hand, and a toddler in the other.

Yeah. It's called "bucketing" or something.   Moochers think that people would be more willing to just fork over some gas since you're already pumping instead of just asking for cash.

Yeah. It's called "bucketing" or something.   Moochers think that people would be more willing to just fork over some gas since you're already pumping instead of just asking for cash.
I'm sure that their market research is well-tested, but speaking for me personally, I'd be more willing to give a guy a few bucks than to fill up his gas can.

I'm sure that their market research is well-tested, but speaking for me personally, I'd be more willing to give a guy a few bucks than to fill up his gas can.
I would think it would be the other way around.  They could use the money for drugs or booze.  The gas they have to sell to get the money for drugs or booze.

Like buying someone a sandwich instead of giving them money to buy a sandwich.  

I fell for a slightly less creative scam years ago.  As I was pumping gas in a poorer area of Akron, a guy came up to me wanting $10 for gas because he needed to "get to the hospital to see his wife and kid that had just been born."  I didn't quite buy it, but it was payday Friday, and I was flush for cash and feeling good.  

I gave him $20, just feeling like "hey, if that guy needs to run that scam to get along, he needs it more than I do."

I remember cursing myself slightly less than a couple weeks later when I scraping around for something to eat the last couple of days before payday.  

I would think it would be the other way around.  They could use the money for drugs or booze.  The gas they have to sell to get the money for drugs or booze.

Like buying someone a sandwich instead of giving them money to buy a sandwich.  
Probably needed the gas to go make a drug deal which was going to make him cash.

I fell for a slightly less creative scam years ago.  As I was pumping gas in a poorer area of Akron, a guy came up to me wanting $10 for gas because he needed to "get to the hospital to see his wife and kid that had just been born."  I didn't quite buy it, but it was payday Friday, and I was flush for cash and feeling good.  

I gave him $20, just feeling like "hey, if that guy needs to run that scam to get along, he needs it more than I do."

I remember cursing myself slightly less than a couple weeks later when I scraping around for something to eat the last couple of days before payday.  
Sounds like you scammed yourself.

I had a guy do this.. I put one gallon into his gas can.

He then followed me into store, waited at the register, and asked if I would buy him a water since I was getting myself one.

That is when I very politely told him to #### off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is put some gas in the can - I’ve got the money.  And I don’t get calling it a scam, if I put gas in there that’s all he can do with it.  I wouldn’t give him money most likely. Definitely mooching.

Is put some gas in the can - I’ve got the money.  And I don’t get calling it a scam, if I put gas in there that’s all he can do with it.  I wouldn’t give him money most likely. Definitely mooching.
I mean, he could follow you home and then use it to burn down your house. But let’s pretend we’re not that extreme cynics on the human condition at 6:55 in the morning.  :whistle:

A nation of scammers?
I got stuck behind a guy at the grocery store who was attempting to use a $50 Publix gift card that I saw him pull off the shelf to pay for a $50 google play card. Of course it didn’t work because it wasn’t activated and then he decided to argue for a few minutes before leaving. 

Some of the busier convenient stores have hired security to run off the beggars.   Some of the local Quik Trips were getting really bad with people begging for money, food, and gas.  The first and last time I gave someone anything was a guy who needed some money for a hotel to spend the night.  He scared the #### out of me because I never saw him coming.  I think he was tweaking.  I told him that he needs to be careful.  All I had was a twenty so I gave it to him.  I blamed my kid who wanted to stop for some damn sunflower seeds before his baseball game. 

Could be a prop. Next question is can you give me a ride back to my car. Then next thing you know you are making a diaper run and picking up the mothers "prescription" after buying a new car seat that definitely wont be sold on craigslist. 

This may come as a shock, but there are several people in this world who would pay money for that liquid in that can.

Most of the scammers are professionals at this.  If you are getting approached it's because they think you are an easy mark.

Most of the scammers are professionals at this.  If you are getting approached it's because they think you are an easy mark.
When down in myrtle beach for spring break....some reguallar looking chic. approaches everyone at a gas station wanting money....half thought it was some police scam...she had a great story

You joke, but I'm willing to bet that more time has been put into crafting scams than any other business in the world.  
microsoft has 135000 employees working at least 40 hour weeks year in and year out which is 280000000 hours of work crafting that business each year so if you are right i am pretty damned sad with the state of the universe take that to the bank bromigo

microsoft has 135000 employees working at least 40 hour weeks year in and year out which is 280000000 hours of work crafting that business each year so if you are right i am pretty damned sad with the state of the universe take that to the bank bromigo
Are we taking everything literal now?  That's my bad.  I'll refrain from hyperbole thenceforth. 

Are we taking everything literal now?  That's my bad.  I'll refrain from hyperbole thenceforth. 
please re read my post and realize that i not taking issue with anything you said only that its sad so many spend so much time trying to take advantage of others bromigo and sorry to have offended you take that to the bank 

please re read my post and realize that i not taking issue with anything you said only that its sad so many spend so much time trying to take advantage of others bromigo and sorry to have offended you take that to the bank 
Totally not offended.  No worries.  I'm always just going for the laugh.

It always amazes me at the length people will go to not work. Panhandling and scamming seems like so much more work thank actual work.

Unfortunately we’ve created a system which encourages people to live off the governments ### and have a side hustle.  

Sure, but seems like an idiotic scam- I wait around to get $15 of gas in the hope that somebody will pay me $10 or $12 for it??
Where and how do they sell that gas.  I mean if some stranger comes up to me proposing that he will poor 5 gallons of something that may smell and look a little bit like gas, but is who knows what, in my tank and will only charge me $2 per gallon I am thinking I am going to decline.

Sure, but seems like an idiotic scam- I wait around to get $15 of gas in the hope that somebody will pay me $10 or $12 for it??
It's all about getting money.  Nowadays, people are less likely to hand over cash.  But gas?  Can't see why that would be bad.  So they can then sell gas to someone much cheaper than what they'd normally pay for it.  They're not trying to get rich.  They're just trying to support their habit.  

Where and how do they sell that gas.  I mean if some stranger comes up to me proposing that he will poor 5 gallons of something that may smell and look a little bit like gas, but is who knows what, in my tank and will only charge me $2 per gallon I am thinking I am going to decline.
My guess is they're not selling to Texaco or the like.  

It's not like the "scammers" aren't putting the hours in? Or that it's easy. They aren't living in a Tesla, going home to a penthouse with an ocean view or funding a 401K.

How many hours in a day do most of us scam from our employees to post on internet message boards?

When down in myrtle beach for spring break....some reguallar looking chic. approaches everyone at a gas station wanting money....half thought it was some police scam...she had a great story
I gave $20 to a cute girl at an airport recently who only needed like $17 to afford a train ticket to somewhere.  The terminal was under construction and she did help me find my way to the rental cars.  I knew it was a scam but the help and the hug (@Nathan R. Jessep)  were worth the $20.  :wub:  

She did know an awful lot about a certain small town in southeast Nebraska.  She had either been there or was that good of a scammer.

Users who are viewing this thread