What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (4 Viewers)

If Ben is healthy, I expect Dionte to be much more than a solid WR3.  He is the best route runner and most complete Steelers receiver by far.  When he gets open, which is most of the time, Ben will find him.

If Claypool pushes Washington off the field he'll be playing on the outside. 
Claypool doesn't have the route running chops to play on the outside--maybe not ever but definitely not as a rookie

He is big slot through and through but it's a bit troubling that I can't think of a single pro comp for him (others have said Waller but Claypool isn't a TE)

In any case I don't see him as a threat to Diontae

Claypool doesn't have the route running chops to play on the outside--maybe not ever but definitely not as a rookie

He is big slot through and through but it's a bit troubling that I can't think of a single pro comp for him (others have said Waller but Claypool isn't a TE)

In any case I don't see him as a threat to Diontae
You obviously haven't watched his tape. 

anyone wish to guess what his season end stats will be?

I'd be happy with 1000-6 ....1150-7  I'd be overjoyed ..... 1200-8+ and he is a league winner 

anyone wish to guess what his season end stats will be?

I'd be happy with 1000-6 ....1150-7  I'd be overjoyed ..... 1200-8+ and he is a league winner 
My bad I thought you were referring to Claypool. Diontae Johnson is a lock for 1000 yards this year if he stays healthy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad I thought you were referring to Claypool. Diontae Johnson is a lock for 1000 yards this year if he stays healthy. 
You throw the word "lock" around too easily.  That mean's it's a done deal and a 100% sure thing.

Not a single FBG staffer out of 5 has him over 900 yards.  1000 is possible, but under 50%, and certainly not 100%.

I’m a fan of Dionte but so much depends on Big Ben. Ive read (sorry, don’t have the link) that a QB has never come back from his type of injury before - and he’s a 38 year old guy to boot. If Ben is healthy and his usual self, look out. I think a 75-1,100-7 line is not out of the question. 

I do know Ben loved going to JuJu when both were on the field.  Why would that change?
Because Diontae is better in almost every way.  Not a knock on JuJu, this kid is just really good.

Because Dionte is better in almost every way.  Not a knock on JuJu, this kid is just really good.
JuJu is pretty damn good too.  Nothing against Johnson, but Roethlisberger and Smith-Schuster have a chemistry that isn't just going to disappear. 

I do know Ben loved going to JuJu when both were on the field.  Why would that change?
Ju-Ju was the #2 WR to AB and took advantage of soft coverage.  Last year was 'supposed' to be his breakout since he was 'supposed' to get all of those targets that AB had.  He faced double coverage for the first time, he only faced double coverage less than 2% with AB.  He faced tougher DBs.  Granted the QBs were terrible but he's not a true #1 WR IMHO.

Dionte at 5'10 and 180 isn't an ideal goal line option.

Washington had his issues.

I think that it is possible Claypool 'could' work his way into being a 'decent' FF option late in the season.

Ju-Ju was the #2 WR to AB and took advantage of soft coverage.  Last year was 'supposed' to be his breakout since he was 'supposed' to get all of those targets that AB had.  He faced double coverage for the first time, he only faced double coverage less than 2% with AB.  He faced tougher DBs.  Granted the QBs were terrible but he's not a true #1 WR IMHO.

I think that it is possible Claypool 'could' work his way into being a 'decent' FF option late in the season.
Between no QB and injury you can't base 2020 on 2019 results IMO, but I do know Smith-Schuster was a beast with Big Ben in 2018.  That I do know.

Between no QB and injury you can't base 2020 on 2019 results IMO, but I do know Smith-Schuster was a beast with Big Ben in 2018.  That I do know.
From the FBG Ju-Ju page.  LINK

Smith-Schuster needs to do a better job of beating difficult coverage. He was the no.1 receiver for the Steelers for the 2019 season and wasn't able to take that next step with tougher coverage. When Smith-Schuster was a no.2 receiver then he produced at a higher level. 
He had AB and was a #2 WR.  Facing top coverage and failing to step-up is why I don't consider him a legit #1 WR.

Ben hasn't had a WR like Chase since Plax.  I'm much more intrigued with the 'potential' of Claypool going forward.

He had AB and was a #2 WR.  Facing top coverage and failing to step-up is why I don't consider him a legit #1 WR.

Ben hasn't had a WR like Chase since Plax.  I'm much more intrigued with the 'potential' of Claypool going forward.
With Rudolph and Duck at QB and Samuels at RB, Julio Jones wouldn't have looked like a legit #1.

I hope you’re not counting on the rookie Claypool for your dynasty team in 2020.  I don’t know about you but I’m not going to ignore 1400+ yards 116 rec and 7 tds with Big Ben throwing him the ball.

With Rudolph and Duck at QB and Samuels at RB, Julio Jones wouldn't have looked like a legit #1.
He failed to do anything.  I had doubt about him heading into last season and he confirmed to me he's not a legit #1 WR but if you think he is then invest heavily.  

I hope you’re not counting on the rookie Claypool for your dynasty team in 2020.  I don’t know about you but I’m not going to ignore 1400+ yards 116 rec and 7 tds with Big Ben throwing him the ball.
Dynasty I'm a buy low and one of the main reasons is I don't like Ju-Ju.

Their is nothing like him on the roster and I believe he will have an impact as a GL weapon later in his rookie season and that he'll build on that going forward.

More so than a guy who can always get open?

Dont think Juju ever outdid AB. AB could get open. And that's Dio's forte.
I’m not doubting Johnson, I’m just saying juju is damn good and has already proven it with 116 receptions and 1400 yards just two seasons ago.  He’s young and last year was a throw away obviously.

All these things can be true. Juju may not be a true #1 but can still ball out if someone like AB or Diontae commands attention. A healthy Ben can make both these guys fantasy relevant. And we should be rooting for Juju *and* Diontae to succeed as that will only help the other.

JuJu is not a #1 WR and never was. His connection with Ben is strong though and he's basically going back to what he did really well 2 years ago. Diontae Johnson will be a huge help. Even last year defenses were starting to treat Diontae Johnson like he was the #1 WR on the team.

I expect a pretty big year from JuJu though and then he'll sign a big contract somewhere else. 

All these things can be true. Juju may not be a true #1 but can still ball out if someone like AB or Diontae commands attention. A healthy Ben can make both these guys fantasy relevant. And we should be rooting for Juju *and* Diontae to succeed as that will only help the other.
Diontae will be JuJu BFF.

I’m not doubting Johnson, I’m just saying juju is damn good and has already proven it with 116 receptions and 1400 yards just two seasons ago.  He’s young and last year was a throw away obviously.
And I'm not doubting Juju either.   :suds:

Hell, anyone doubting the Steelers ability to land hugely talented receivers and get terrific statistical production out of them needs to take their meds 

JuJu is not a #1 WR and never was. His connection with Ben is strong though and he's basically going back to what he did really well 2 years ago. Diontae Johnson will be a huge help. Even last year defenses were starting to treat Diontae Johnson like he was the #1 WR on the team.

I expect a pretty big year from JuJu though and then he'll sign a big contract somewhere else. 
You can call it what you want #1 or #B, or #2,  I don’t really care, but I call 116/1400/7 pro bowl.

He failed to do anything.  I had doubt about him heading into last season and he confirmed to me he's not a legit #1 WR but if you think he is then invest heavily.  

Dynasty I'm a buy low and one of the main reasons is I don't like Ju-Ju.

Their is nothing like him on the roster and I believe he will have an impact as a GL weapon later in his rookie season and that he'll build on that going forward.
So now 1400 yd seasons can be directly attributed to the other WR across the field? This is non-sensical. 

I have Dionte Johnson on two dynasty teams and JJSS on none, but some of the “hate” on him seems unfounded and unfair. Those QBs were horrific last season.

You can call it what you want #1 or #B, or #2,  I don’t really care, but I call 116/1400/7 pro bowl.
Yeah I'm high on JuJu in redraft this year. I'm also high on JuJu in dynasty but to trade him after this season. Just not high on his talent. 

Chill guys.  I stacked Juju and Diontae together in most leagues, so everything is gonna be okay.
Thanks man!

This thread is getting kinda silly and I think it can be simplified. Ben will throw to the open guy and the WR talent is deep, bigger and faster. Won’t be a shock to produce multiple 1000 yard receivers. The defense can’t double everyone; running game is too good. 

Base 11 package from this  :homer:  pov 

JuJu is the first look when matchup is favorable due to chemistry. Likely move him around and mix between slot and outside.

Dionte (AB lite) is great at creating separation and should be a PPR magnet

Washington has improved his technique and will be great at stretching the field. Best on the roster at high pointing the ball.

Claypool primarily outside subbing with Washington and will surprise many. Predict he will be a TD hog with multiple, 2 TD games. Great blocker downfield which helps the running game.

Ebron is the lead TE chain mover, alternate seam attacker and red zone threat.

Expectations should be tempered despite the talent and rejuvenated Ben.  Running game is very good and could lead to taking the air out of the ball.  D is outstanding and Tomlin knows winning by 1 point vs 20 doesn’t matter. No need to run up the scoreboard.

Thanks man!

This thread is getting kinda silly and I think it can be simplified. Ben will throw to the open guy and the WR talent is deep, bigger and faster. Won’t be a shock to produce multiple 1000 yard receivers. The defense can’t double everyone; running game is too good. 

Base 11 package from this  :homer:  pov 

JuJu is the first look when matchup is favorable due to chemistry. Likely move him around and mix between slot and outside.

Dionte (AB lite) is great at creating separation and should be a PPR magnet

Washington has improved his technique and will be great at stretching the field. Best on the roster at high pointing the ball.

Claypool primarily outside subbing with Washington and will surprise many. Predict he will be a TD hog with multiple, 2 TD games. Great blocker downfield which helps the running game.

Ebron is the lead TE chain mover, alternate seam attacker and red zone threat.

Expectations should be tempered despite the talent and rejuvenated Ben.  Running game is very good and could lead to taking the air out of the ball.  D is outstanding and Tomlin knows winning by 1 point vs 20 doesn’t matter. No need to run up the scoreboard.
You didn’t even spell the guy who you think is “the next AB’s” name right. 🤡 thread

Bracie always has odd/negative stuff about Steel City.
I was one of the first to share in this thread about how Dionte was blowing up in camp during his rookie season and how I invested in Claypool.  

Riddle me this Batman, how did Dionte have a promising year without Ben at QB while Juju didn't?

Only haters say anything negative about the Steelers?  Lol.

So Ed Bouche hates the Steelers?

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette believes it's "not likely" that the Steelers re-sign contract-year WR JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Smith-Schuster had a flat-out stinker of a 2019 season, his first as the Steelers' top dog out wide. He was unable to stay healthy, and the quarterback play was shoddy at best after Ben Roethlisbrger went down in Week 2. But JuJu also didn't elevate his quarterbacks, leaving many to wonder if he can truly be a No. 1 wideout in the league. With a big bounce-back in 2020, JuJu could price himself out of Pittsburgh, and it might be too late for the Steelers to keep him at that point. Smith-Schuster badly needs a rebound season.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 2, 2020, 9:20 AM ET

I was one of the first to share in this thread about how Dionte was blowing up in camp during his rookie season and how I invested in Claypool.  

Riddle me this Batman, how did Dionte have a promising year without Ben at QB while Juju didn't?

Only haters say anything negative about the Steelers?  Lol.

So Ed Bouche hates the Steelers?
D I O N T A E - perhaps when you all are done with the circling pseudo analysis you could take the time to learn how to spell his name. This thread is the most half assed hack thing I’ve seen in the SP in some time. Suggesting a player has upside is one thing, dismissing a guy who has already accomplished something most players could barely dream of is quite the other.

D I O N T A E - perhaps when you all are done with the circling pseudo analysis you could take the time to learn how to spell his name. This thread is the most half assed hack thing I’ve seen in the SP in some time. Suggesting a player has upside is one thing, dismissing a guy who has already accomplished something most players could barely dream of is quite the other.
That's a little over the top but 🙂 

Great fantasy analysis on the spelling, feh.  Are you one of the Juju investors that burned last year because you thought one good year is a good fantasy investment?

Josh Gordon, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Lloyd, Drew Bennett, Michael Clayton, etc, et el...  

Juju wasn't good and Diontae was because one is better than the other and I'll take a flyer on Claypool long-term because I don't like Juju.  

Great fantasy analysis on the spelling, feh.  Are you one of the Juju investors that burned last year because you thought one good year is a good fantasy investment?

Josh Gordon, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Lloyd, Drew Bennett, Michael Clayton, etc, et el...  

Juju wasn't good and Diontae was because one is better than the other and I'll take a flyer on Claypool long-term because I don't like Juju.  
It’s not etc, etc... congrats you picked the outliers. Ohhhh all hail the guy that was able to pick out the outliers. Yesssss great oracle, tell us who is the next greatest of great fantasy players.

Users who are viewing this thread