What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (2 Viewers)

I am so glad that I got outbid at the auction on this guy. He would have demolished my season.

I wanted him on my team, but I didn’t save enough at the end of the draft. He’ a very good football player, but not a good fantasy option. If another team cuts him, I would add him to my bench... but I would hesitate to play him.

Broncobiv said:
Any word on Diontae in practice this week, regarding his injury? He'd be a great start vs Dallas this week. 
Yes, hopefully nobody tackles him... or asks him to run fast... or :oldunsure:

Diontae Johnson was a full participant for Wednesday's practice.

It's a positive sign after Johnson was sidelined for a short period in Sunday's win over the Ravens. He's expected to enter Week 9 at full strength in a tremendous spot against Dallas' sieve of a secondary.

SOURCE: Steelers Depot on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 10:01 AM ET

Didn't see the game but he had a terrific 1st half. What happened in the 2nd half? Shift in coverage? Injury? I'd like to think the dropoff was because they were up big but JuJu and Claypool racked up 2nd half stats.

Didn't see the game but he had a terrific 1st half. What happened in the 2nd half? Shift in coverage? Injury? I'd like to think the dropoff was because they were up big but JuJu and Claypool racked up 2nd half stats.
My assumption is they moved coverage his way but won't know for sure without watching the All 22 tape. 

I lose when this guy is in my lineup, and I lose when I leave him on the bench. Just end it already.
It is just a matter of health with this dude. He's had 5 games where he started AND finished in 2020... averaged almost 12 targets/game.

Can't do anything about injuries that occur in-game, but if he's healthy going in? Crazy to leave him on the bench... arguably the WR1 in a prolific passing game.

It is just a matter of health with this dude. He's had 5 games where he started AND finished in 2020... averaged almost 12 targets/game.

Can't do anything about injuries that occur in-game, but if he's healthy going in? Crazy to leave him on the bench... arguably the WR1 in a prolific passing game.
Yes, his volume is too high to ever sit him when healthy.

When he's healthy and has no major issues going into the week during practice, he's on auto-start for me. And I drafted Thielen, Godwin, Robinson, and have Aiyuk in the league I speak of. It's a start 3WR league, but Johnson, when healthy? In there.

It might be a strange comparison, but he gives my this LaDainian Tomlinson feeling when he is in a 1on1 with a defender. You just know that he will make him miss without even being touched. It is a thing of beauty.

Did he make it out unscathed? When I was watching Redzone I thought I heard one of the announcers say something about him leaving the game, but then he must have returned.  Anyone know what happened? Hoping I just heard them wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Claypool double and even triple covered on some of his TD catches. The safety and CB couldn't stop him on the 31 yard TD down the right sideline yesterday. The attention paid to Claypool especially on deep patterns has to benefit Johnson and others.

Diontae Johnson caught 8-of-13 targets for 46 yards in the Steelers' Week 12 win over the Ravens.

Those 13 targets led the team. On the heels of back-to-back 110-plus yard performances, Johnson pieced together a befuddling game against Baltimore with arguably three or four drops that left multiple chunk gains on the field. Johnson is a great player with an extremely promising career ahead of him, but these inconsistencies pop up a bit too often and limit the total efficiency of the offense. Still, you live with the miscues because Johnson is capable of the spectacular - just not on Wednesday afternoon football. He is an easy start against Washington in Week 13.

Dec 2, 2020, 7:12 PM ET

I've seen Claypool double and even triple covered on some of his TD catches. The safety and CB couldn't stop him on the 31 yard TD down the right sideline yesterday. The attention paid to Claypool especially on deep patterns has to benefit Johnson and others.
The combination of these two, juju, and even E² makes for a scary offense.

Maybe not Chief scary, but as close as they come when firing on all cylinders.

The combination of these two, juju, and even E² makes for a scary offense.

Maybe not Chief scary, but as close as they come when firing on all cylinders.
The first sentence is dead on, and I'd like to offer up the real difference maker which is Mahomes' deep ball, his youth, and his mobility. Roethlisberger was always great at extended plays and going deep, but a little bit is lost with age.

Steelers overall have better depth options in pass catching than the Chiefs do, IMO. If the AFC runs through Pittsburgh, I would love to see a KC/Pitt matchup in the SFC Championship. This is a bad year to not have two byes, as both teams have been so dominant.

The first sentence is dead on, and I'd like to offer up the real difference maker which is Mahomes' deep ball, his youth, and his mobility. Roethlisberger was always great at extended plays and going deep, but a little bit is lost with age.

Steelers overall have better depth options in pass catching than the Chiefs do, IMO. If the AFC runs through Pittsburgh, I would love to see a KC/Pitt matchup in the SFC Championship. This is a bad year to not have two byes, as both teams have been so dominant.
I'm definitely cheering against that (go titans) but that seems likely. 

The Chiefs shouldn't have much trouble with Miami or Indy but you never know.

I'm definitely cheering against that (go titans) but that seems likely. 

The Chiefs shouldn't have much trouble with Miami or Indy but you never know.
The team I see giving either of those two fits is exactly that Titans team. I think they're really underrated, and if they're healthy, they can make a serious playoff run. It's gonna get colder and Tennessee has their thumper at running back. KC and Pittsburgh lack that type of RB.

He was really bad today. But so good overall. Happy 100% ownership guy right here.
He killed me in a must win game I was going against JuJu head to head today. First time I have been disappointed in his play, still think he is undervalued for long term dynasty value.

The team I see giving either of those two fits is exactly that Titans team. I think they're really underrated, and if they're healthy, they can make a serious playoff run. It's gonna get colder and Tennessee has their thumper at running back. KC and Pittsburgh lack that type of RB.
Along those same lines, I could see Cleveland being an issue. They run the ball even better than Tennessee, and probably have a better defense than the Titans when Garrett isn't out with COVID. Of course Tannehill>Mayfield usually.

Along those same lines, I could see Cleveland being an issue. They run the ball even better than Tennessee, and probably have a better defense than the Titans when Garrett isn't out with COVID. Of course Tannehill>Mayfield usually.
I had the same thought about Cleveland, and the boldface font from the quote is why I thought Tennessee was the biggest threat. But I shouldn't forget Baltimore, either. They hung with the Steelers today despite serious losses in manpower. Just Tennessee strikes me as the most complete offense out of the three. Defensively, I think Cleveland's front gives teams fits with Garrett and Richardson and others and is probably better than Tennessee's front. So yeah, if they can make it through the year, the NFL has a really interesting situation for their playoffs.

Jarad Evans

⁦‪@PFF_Jarad⁩

Most targets since Week 9:

1. Diontae Johnson - 49
2. Tyreek Hill - 46
3. Keenan Allen - 44
4. Davante Adams - 41
5. Chase Claypool - 38
6. DeVante Parker - 35

12/2/20, 7:23 PM

He killed me in a must win game I was going against JuJu head to head today. First time I have been disappointed in his play, still think he is undervalued for long term dynasty value.
Feels like we saw his floor yesterday, and all due to DJ... dropped a likely TD, dropped a big gainer that fell right in his lap... the 10+ targets seems like a guarantee at this point. Imagine a game where the Steelers are playing catch-up/loss. He could see 20 targets with some garbage time.

Feels like we saw his floor yesterday, and all due to DJ... dropped a likely TD, dropped a big gainer that fell right in his lap... the 10+ targets seems like a guarantee at this point. Imagine a game where the Steelers are playing catch-up/loss. He could see 20 targets with some garbage time.
He had another deeper td in his hands but it got knocked away. Should have caught that too. He was also open by several yards and Ben made a poor throw allowing the db to get back in the picture.

He had another deeper td in his hands but it got knocked away. Should have caught that too. He was also open by several yards and Ben made a poor throw allowing the db to get back in the picture.
I can see why Tomlin was livid last night. Game should have been a blowout. If it went that way, maybe the starters are resting 4th QTR, and Bud Dupree is still playing.

WRs and TE playing like they got paid to put the ball on the ground yesterday.

I can see why Tomlin was livid last night. Game should have been a blowout. If it went that way, maybe the starters are resting 4th QTR, and Bud Dupree is still playing.

WRs and TE playing like they got paid to put the ball on the ground yesterday.
Yeah rightly so. They were really sloppy. Maybe the attitude presented by Tuitt was reflected in the focus of the team. And rather than padding stats in what he predicted would be an easy win, Dupree is lost for the year late in the 4th. Yup Tomlin should have been furious.

The question is , is he really doing enough with all these targets he’s seeing. His efficiency seems bad, but I suppose that’s not all his fault and partially the routes being run. That being said he was brutally bad yesterday. As bad of a game as I can recall seeing a WR have..

The question is , is he really doing enough with all these targets he’s seeing. His efficiency seems bad, but I suppose that’s not all his fault and partially the routes being run. That being said he was brutally bad yesterday. As bad of a game as I can recall seeing a WR have..
Prior to last night, in the last 5 games that he played all of, he put up in my 0.5 PPR league: 19.2, 24.5, 11.1, 20.6 and 17.1. I don't have a points/target metric, but I'll take that production most weeks.

We've all gotten burned when he got knocked out of some games in the first quarter, but I'm not counting those against him in terms of target efficiency.

It was a rough game, though that wasn't just Johnson. Claypool and Ebron also had some awful drops. Ben also had a few really bad throws too. I'm willing to throw that entire game out given the circumstances.

I don't see Johnson being this bad again, and I don't see those targets going away, so its likely just a blip. 

Users who are viewing this thread