What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (1 Viewer)

Washington's aDOT is 23. He, like Will Fuller of the same aDOT, are, to the untrained eye, sacrificing targets and personal touches so that a 1A gets the love. Fuller with Nuk and JuJu in this case.

At least I surmise, because those kind of patterns seem like they come with a very low catch rate %. So you're definitely giving something to get something in that case. They're being asked to catch JUGS punts with guys covering them, except that's no machine, that's a human delivery.

Tough gig, and often thankless. For PPR purposes, take the underneath over Fuller any day.

https://twitter.com/SteeIerNation/status/1175100155718262790?s=20

This isn't just the starter in 3 wr sets either. This is Diontae Johnson (not Washington) starting in 2 WR sets opposite JuJu. 
Correct, it was ALWAYS Diontae behind Moncrief at that position in the teams practices and camps.

Most people just chose to ignore that or were flatly unaware. DJ was also behind Switzer as the slot guy in the 3-wide looks also.  Not sure how that is slotted with his promotion now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Ben being out does make this more cloudy though.......not the slam dunk it could have been. 

Short term, sure. I won't be starting him anywhere (he's firmly in the taxi squad) but the future is bright. 
Absolutely. It could still be hot early too but I'd be more confident in that if Big Ben was starting. 

It's best to just take his hyperbole with a grain of salt.  He still thinks Goedert is the best TE in the league.
I've got Dionte, Unicorn, Kyler and Jaylen Samuels on my roster. Just need to trade for Goedert and I'll have the all Milkman team.

I am flirting with the idea of starting him at my last flex in a PPR league over Miles Sanders, Lindsay, and Crowder. Am I nuts? 

Milkman seems to be really all over him. Would like to hear his predictions for Johnson's line on Sunday
I'd be blindly swinging at a pinata. The Big Ben injury made this situation impossible to predict. I feel he's the most talented WR on the team. I think he'll show that at some point this year. Washington has a great relationship with Mason Rudolph though......so he might get the biggest immediate bump. 

Diontae put a show on last week though......he just wasn't targeted. Pittsburgh saw it. That's why he's the starter now. 

I'd be blindly swinging at a pinata. The Big Ben injury made this situation impossible to predict. I feel he's the most talented WR on the team. I think he'll show that at some point this year. Washington has a great relationship with Mason Rudolph though......so he might get the biggest immediate bump. 

Diontae put a show on last week though......he just wasn't targeted. Pittsburgh saw it. That's why he's the starter now. 
If he truly is the most talented WR on this team(better than Juju) and he's getting the opportunity to start then there's no reason why he shouldn't shine early. QB's tend to throw the ball to the guy who gets open, and if they don't, the coaches will be there waiting for him on the sidelines ready to chew out the QB with their iPads in hand to show them the open guy they repeatedly missed. 

If he truly is the most talented WR on this team(better than Juju) and he's getting the opportunity to start then there's no reason why he shouldn't shine early. QB's tend to throw the ball to the guy who gets open, and if they don't, the coaches will be there waiting for him on the sidelines ready to chew out the QB with their iPads in hand to show them the open guy they repeatedly missed. 
Yeah and if you watch last weeks game I think that's what happened. Pretty sure the Steelers showed Mason Rudolph those routes and how open Diontae was over and over. So I can see that happening. I can also see Mason Rudolph going to Washington because he's got a good connection with him. Time will tell. 

He's the same exact size as AB. 
He's listed as the same size on paper. But in real life, he looks a lot closer to Tavon Austin than AB. I mean he looks small, like a pomeranian in a purse small. Guy looks super talented too but so do all the smurf WR's until they get lit up by a safety on a crossing route.

I'm rooting for him but I think Washington is the guy to play here given the history with the QB. 

Diontae put a show on last week though
1 catch for 17 yards is a show? That was off of four targets, too. 

I don't know much about this guy, other than he has speed and had good ST ability out of college, and open to any talent, regardless of size, being an effective weapon in the NFL.

In this case, I'll believe it when I see it. Really hasn't shown enough to make me think he's going to be a fantasy factor, and a few highly polished/better WRs ahead of him right now in the depth chart.

1 catch for 17 yards is a show? That was off of four targets, too. 

I don't know much about this guy, other than he has speed and had good ST ability out of college, and open to any talent, regardless of size, being an effective weapon in the NFL.

In this case, I'll believe it when I see it. Really hasn't shown enough to make me think he's going to be a fantasy factor, and a few highly polished/better WRs ahead of him right now in the depth chart.
I believe he’s referring to Johnson being open a few times after running good routes, including once in the red zone, and not even getting a target. 

Also, he’s #2 on the depth chart right now, only Juju is ahead of him

I believe he’s referring to Johnson being open a few times after running good routes, including once in the red zone, and not even getting a target. 

Also, he’s #2 on the depth chart right now, only Juju is ahead of him
No, I get that -- totally open to a guy passing eye tests and looking like the real deal, but looking open on a few looks also isn't the whole story. Stats and targets are meaningful adn he just doesn't have either to make me excited yet.

Looks like the guy is taking over Moncrief's position, so he'll have that opportunity.

But JuJu and James Washington have more proven ability, so while there is reason to be more excited about this guy, I just want to see what he does with it before getting all goosepimply over a rookie starting for the first time with a backup QB throwing to him.

Can he be amazing? Why the hell not. Let's just see it first with some production. Will be watching, totally open to seeing a young guy start generating excitement.

No, I get that -- totally open to a guy passing eye tests and looking like the real deal, but looking open on a few looks also isn't the whole story. Stats and targets are meaningful adn he just doesn't have either to make me excited yet.

Looks like the guy is taking over Moncrief's position, so he'll have that opportunity.

But JuJu and James Washington have more proven ability, so while there is reason to be more excited about this guy, I just want to see what he does with it before getting all goosepimply over a rookie starting for the first time with a backup QB throwing to him.

Can he be amazing? Why the hell not. Let's just see it first with some production. Will be watching, totally open to seeing a young guy start generating excitement.
What has Washington proven?

* Johnson 5-10 1/2, 183, 30 1/4 arms, 9-inch hands, 4.53 40, 15 reps, 33.5 vertical, 7.09 3-cone.
* Brown 5-10 1/8, 186, 31-inch arms, 9-inch hands, 4.56 40, 13 reps, 33.5 vertical, 6.98 3-cone.

As you can see on the table above, Johnson is almost a carbon copy of Brown in every physical category listed when he entered the league in 2010. As for comparing Brown/Johnson in terms of production coming out of school, Brown dusts Johnson’s career numbers. With both players playing three seasons in college, Brown had 305 career receptions for 3,199 yards at Central Michigan compared to Johnson’s 135 receptions for 2, 235 yards at Toledo. While Brown remains on an entirely different world of efficiency, Johnson actually has one more receiving touchdown (23) than Brown did (22) with a larger yards per reception (16.6) than Brown (10.5).

Per Pro Football Focus, Johnson was one of the best all-around route runners going into his senior season, as he earned a 140.1 passer rating when targeted. Johnson was ranked as the 11th best receiver heading into the 2019 NFL Draft by PFF.

***I’m NOT saying he’ll be Antonio Brown***

I’m just saying they have nearly identical metrics, measurements, and stats.

Tex

Correct, him and Ben were on totally opposite pages last year. He needed that year. His skills and what he has shown still remain.
I’m confused. You agree he was bad last year yet you say what he has shown still remains. What he showed wasn’t good. Am I reading your reply wrong and you’re agreeing with me that he hasn’t actually proven anything?

I’m confused. You agree he was bad last year yet you say what he has shown still remains. What he showed wasn’t good. Am I reading your reply wrong and you’re agreeing with me that he hasn’t actually proven anything?
His skill is with the hardest to complete passes in the game. So when he and the QB are "off" its going to look bad.  But we can see what he did in this preseason and last preseason and what he did college.

• 2018 preseason -- 7 - 158 - 22.6
  • 2019 preseason -- 10 - 208 - 20.8
  • 2019  season -- 4 -74 -18.5
  • In 3 years of college he was... 20.9, 19.4, 20.5 on 198 catches.

Milkman said:
https://twitter.com/SteeIerNation/status/1175100155718262790?s=20

This isn't just the starter in 3 wr sets either. This is Diontae Johnson (not Washington) starting in 2 WR sets opposite JuJu. 
Huh.

Well according to this the Steelers have run 2 WR sets on 16 of 113 total plays or 14% of their snaps.

The Steelers have had 3 WR or more on the field 86% of their plays.

Maybe Johnson is playing in the 2 WR sets over Washington when they do only have 2 WR? I suppose that could be, however it is a very small part of their offense.

As far as snap counts Washington had more than Johnson in the most recent game but only by 7 snaps. Both played a lot more with the benching of Moncrief.

Huh.

Well according to this the Steelers have run 2 WR sets on 16 of 113 total plays or 14% of their snaps.

The Steelers have had 3 WR or more on the field 86% of their plays.

Maybe Johnson is playing in the 2 WR sets over Washington when they do only have 2 WR? I suppose that could be, however it is a very small part of their offense.

As far as snap counts Washington had more than Johnson in the most recent game but only by 7 snaps. Both played a lot more with the benching of Moncrief.
Yeah so on those 14% of plays Diontae will be on the field and Washington will be on the sideline. It's not insignificant. 

Users who are viewing this thread