What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (2 Viewers)

Is it a long term issue? People jack up their back and recover. Obviously this could be a long term issue but maybe we should, you know have that information before determine whether it is or not.
Never said it was. 

Said what I know about back injuries and why it’s a concern. 

I can post links to back injury information if you’d like? I know you like links. 

If he’s healthy I’ll play him depending on his matchup and the matchups of my other options.  
See, this is what I’m saying. You also don’t trust him. That’s not “overreacting” or framing a narrative. It’s a simple fact. 

Dionte should be a plug & play, set it and forget it WR.

now you have to look at his injury status & compare his matchups to over players. That would be considered a downgrade from what everyone was saying in the preseason. 

it’s not a narrative, nor is it an overreaction. It’s a normal response to what he’s shown through week 5. 

Unless it’s specific to Johnson, no thanks.

I just want accuracy.
It is 100% accurate to say that back injuries are bad, often linger, and are easy to recur when healed.

That applies to everyone who has a back injury, including Dionte Johnson. 

I hope his is something small. But in general, small back injuries usually don’t knock players out of the entire game. This probably applies to DJ as well. 

Until more specific information is available, this is as realistic an assessment as any. 

While watching you two go back and forth is entertaining, I’m still not starting Johnson until he finishes a game.   For whatever reason, Johnson has been hurt too often for my taste this season.  I’m not trading him because he is a WR2 if he plays a full game.  

While watching you two go back and forth is entertaining, I’m still not starting Johnson until he finishes a game.   For whatever reason, Johnson has been hurt too often for my taste this season.  I’m not trading him because he is a WR2 if he plays a full game.  
I think this is a fair assessment & strategy. 

That’s fine - we all have our own comfort levels. I just didn’t like some of the inaccuracies I was hearing - especially making up a concussion. Him leaving two games isn’t predictive of him missing any more games but you have to do what works for you.

These message boards don’t work if we get false claims being presented as fact. Like he’s left 3 out of 4 games when it’s been 2. 
I didn’t make up a concussion, I misread a post. And I immediately corrected it and said my bad for that. Twice. 

and again: he missed 2 games & missed part of a 3rd. 

these message boards also don’t work if others argue in bad faith about what others have said. 

If he’s healthy I have no more fear than I would have with any other player of him getting knocked out of the game.
I'm not trying to gang up on you here but really? No more fear than any other player?

Also I have to admit I giggled when you said "if he's healthy" because he's literally never been healthy in his career. 

I'm not trying to gang up on you here but really? No more fear than any other player?

Also I have to admit I giggled when you said "if he's healthy" because he's literally never been healthy in his career. 
Yes. I don’t think the fact he left two games early this season is predictive of what will happen going forward. Why I said “if healthy” was because I have no idea how bad this back injury was. So I’m obviously not going to start him if he’s out or even if he’s a game time decision (which would be the case with most players, provided I had options). But if he’s practicing all week (except for his usual Wednesday rest days), then I will start him. I also said depending on matchups because I don’t start him every week since I have good WR depth, I generally play matchups. I’m not even sure who Pittsburgh plays this week. 

If we are going to take that statement at it's literal word I would not put him in something like Tom Brady category who's had to leave one game in his whole career. So there are other players I would fear leaving a game less to be sure.

But I would say I have no more fear of him getting knocked out of a game early anymore then I do the average player and I'm someone that had him in 14 starting lineups week 3 and 12 starting lineups this past week.  So I know how brutal the early game exit can be, but  I truly see nothing in his profile that leads me to believe he's more prone then the normal player instead of just having had a bad two games of luck.

but  I truly see nothing in his profile that leads me to believe he's more prone then the normal player instead of just having had a bad two games of luck.
So if he's limited all week or DNP due to a back injury, that wouldn't be in is profile that would cause more concern than any other player? 

100 yd games

Diontae Johnson - 0

Chase Claypool - 1

Yet you guys act like he’s a top 30 WR. He’s a WR who is unathletic and makes his bones at the LOS with poor YAC skills. He should have been a pass in the 7th, 8th round this offseason and he’s hardly a hold or buy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 yd games

Diontae Johnson - 0

Chase Claypool - 1

Yet you guys act like he’s a top 30 WR. He’s a WR who is unathletic and makes his bones at the LOS with poor YAC skills. He should have been a pass in the 7th, 8th round this offseason and he’s hardly a hold or buy right now.
For me,  I was excited about the idea of what Dionte could do this season with the full attention of Big Ben.  The first few weeks DJ was peppered with plenty of targets, but didn’t do much to capitalize. However,   I felt his value was still there based on his high volume and market share,  but what he did with them was pretty underwhelming.  Injuries aside.  

Now Enter Chase Claypool.   Even as far back as week 1 Chase has stood up and shown how talented he is on a per target basis, not only this last weekend,  but since week 1.  He’s been making incredible plays all year,  just on very few targets. 

Unfortunately,  I own a ton on Dionte Johnson and only a few shares of Claypool here and there.  

So what do we do now?

I say this is no time to be stubborn.  Instead, let’s go HARD after Chase Claypool if he’s still on the waiver wire.  He is a legit special talent and there is no point in being left behind holding onto what we thought Dionte Johnson could have been in the preseason. 

I see Juju and Dionte being secondary pieces to Claypool from here on out. This new emergence doesn’t help Dionte.  It only takes away more of what made him valuable,  his target share.  Target share he did very little with.  I still think DJ is capable of big games in the offense,  but it’ll be Claypool’s show from here on out. Everyone else is just a compliment. 

Stay objective and choose wisely.

Good  Luck!  

100 yd games

Diontae Johnson - 0

Chase Claypool - 1

Ok - from that perspective I get where you were going. I don’t agree with all your points but if your main point was Claypool is a better overall talent and will be a better fantasy asset than Johnson, I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with that. The only pick I had in one league, the 2.11, became Claypool so I’m a fan of his also.

ETA: the difference I see between Johnson and Landry (who I never liked) is that Landry was a pure volume compiler. Gase offenses feed the slot guy - just see what Crowder is doing now. Johnson's volume comes not from being force fed but rather from almost always being open. He's a great route runner and gets separation. I also disagree about Johnson having poor YAC skills. That's very surprising from my observations. I'm sure you'll have some analytical study that shows that's the case but I've seen some weird stances by PFF and the like (just my opinion). 

Ok so count me in the camp that says it will be hard to know who to start from one week to the next for ROS. Assuming DJ is healthy enough to play. For argument sake let's just say he plays. I think we will largely see a whack a mole situation where 2/3 of the WRs are fantasy worthy in a given week. Ultimately in most redraft leagues you're probably starting any of these 3 almost every time, which is why I don't tend to worry too much about the concussion or the back as I think those are fluky. I'm much more concerned about the toe, but that doesn't seem to be stopping him so moving forward if he is playing he is easily in my lineup. Unless I get Michael Thomas back as a 4th WR and I bump DJ to 5. McLaurin might get bumped instead. And if Juju really is going to get shipped out next year then I have to think DJ is central to their offense moving forward, as is Claypool.

Anyway I'm still optimistic. But there is a watering down effect here for all three WRs if they are all healthy in a game. What would Claypool have done yesterday if DJ had played the whole time?

DocHolliday said:
That's fine - we all have different levels of how we deal with perceived risk. My main point is that Johnson leaving two games isn't predictive of what will happen going forward.

As I said I started Johnson for the first time in my one dynasty league so of course getting one point from him was disappointing and may cost me this week unless Diggs comes through but I've seen enough from him that he will be in my lineup most weeks if healthy with zero concern that he'll leave a game again just because he did twice. 

The Steelers receivers as a unit, feels like chasing points week to week.  I didnt even try to get Claypool because I knew someone else in my league would over pay for him......I'm holding DJ hoping he can get healthy and have some value.

The Steelers receivers as a unit, feels like chasing points week to week.  I didnt even try to get Claypool because I knew someone else in my league would over pay for him......I'm holding DJ hoping he can get healthy and have some value.
Yes - Big Ben is the biggest beneficiary of all the options in the Pitt passing game. 

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Diontae Johnson (back) will begin the week limited at practice.

Johnson's participation throughout the week will determine whether or not he's available on Sunday, though it doesn't sound like his injury is too serious. With 15 targets the past two games, Chase Claypool's usage alongside Johnson is still to be determined (and in limbo given Johnson's status). Claypool remains a commodity on waiver wires since it's still possible Johnson sits in Week 6.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Oct 13, 2020, 10:02 AM ET

Feels like he got in some spots he and the team needs to learn to avoid where the big guys mangle you.  He’s not built for that.

ROS seems like its gonna be week to week trying to figure out if it's a Claypool, Johnson or Smith-Schuster week. Likely plenty of targets to support two but not too many weeks will all three be in double digits (PPR.) None of them really have the makings of a WR1 in FF this year.

If I had to guess I'd say we're looking at WR20-25, WR25-30 and WR30-35 

1. JSS
  2. Claypool
  3. DJ
Fight me

BobbyLayne said:
ROS seems like its gonna be week to week trying to figure out if it's a Claypool, Johnson or Smith-Schuster week. Likely plenty of targets to support two but not too many weeks will all three be in double digits (PPR.) None of them really have the makings of a WR1 in FF this year.

1. JSS
  2. Claypool
  3. DJ
Fight me
I think DJ will have the Brown role and be the Steelers #1 WR with JSS and Claypool sharing weeks as the #2 pending match ups. The Steelers early season WR usage seemed to suggest this is their plan.

I think DJ will have the Brown role and be the Steelers #1 WR with JSS and Claypool sharing weeks as the #2 pending match ups. The Steelers early season WR usage seemed to suggest this is their plan.
This could certainly be the case, but could Claypool be forcing himself into the mix more with his play? DJ's never had anything like what Claypool did last week. Rooting for DJ but have no idea how this is going to play out...

BobbyLayne said:

1. JSS
  2. Claypool
  3. DJ
Fight me
I agree with your thought process. Looks like all three should be considered to be WR3 moving forward with any one of them capable of putting up WR1 numbers on occasion.   Don’t think predicting the big weeks is possible unless Johnson continues to be injured.  

But things sure have changed now that Claypool has gotten more looks.  I'm sure the Steelers will want him much more involved in the passing game.  

I agree with your thought process. Looks like all three should be considered to be WR3 moving forward with any one of them capable of putting up WR1 numbers on occasion.   Don’t think predicting the big weeks is possible unless Johnson continues to be injured.  
WR3 and the infinite melancholy of sadness

It's been a minute since Juju has had a WR1 kind of game

Johnson had his first two 10+ target games to start the year but still looking for his first 100 yard game

Claypool has been making plays all year, nobody called the eruption versus the Eagles but there's a lot to like there

Pretty much how I see it as well.

I'd add I have extreme confidence putting Diontae in my lineups when he's healthy for both upside and high floor.

I have a decent amount of confidence putting in JuJu though it's more for his solid floor, not the upside.

Claypool I don't yet trust in my lineup. Saying that I only own him a few places and he's in those lineups due to bye weeks and injuries but my trust is not there with respect to him being a weekly lineup type lock yet. Total faith in the talent, but I believe he remains third in the hierarchy for now.

Love it. I come to the DJ thread for uplifting projections about him becoming the WR1 in Pittsburgh.

Just hoping I'm not still popping in here week 14 for the same reasons. :sadbanana:

interesting thought processes going on here

Johnson will be limited in practice this week per Tomlin - great matchup but in my view he's the one you cannot trust at this point

I don't see how anyone could think Diontae is the guy

but I guess that's why it's such an interesting hobby

Johnson will be limited in practice this week per Tomlin - great matchup but in my view he's the one you cannot trust at this point

I don't see how anyone could think Diontae is the guy

but I guess that's why it's such an interesting hobby
Yeah I'm like the exact opposite at least until he became injury prone. When I watch him I'm like "He looks just like AB when he plays".

Honest question.   Why is everyone so ready to anoint this guy as the Steelers #1WR?   He’s played in 18 games and has yet to have a 100 yard game.  While JuJu has already shown what he can do and the rookie put up a 100 yard game in his 4 game (with very limited opportunity in his first 3 games).  What makes Johnson so much better than the other two?  I’m just not seeing it. 

Simply the stages of grief for those who thought they stole the Pitt/Ben WR1 in round five; and also from those who thought they stole from those who thought they drafted the Pitt/Ben WR1 in round five by drafting the actual Pitt/Ben WR1 in round 12. All the while, the real thieves were the Steelers themselves who drafted the true Ben WR1 in round 2 of the NFL draft.  :ph34r:

Honest question.   Why is everyone so ready to anoint this guy as the Steelers #1WR?   He’s played in 18 games and has yet to have a 100 yard game.  While JuJu has already shown what he can do and the rookie put up a 100 yard game in his 4 game (with very limited opportunity in his first 3 games).  What makes Johnson so much better than the other two?  I’m just not seeing it. 
Obviously you didn't draft him is the likely answer

SEE LF post above

Simply the stages of grief for those who thought they stole the Pitt/Ben WR1 in round five; and also from those who thought they stole from those who thought they drafted the Pitt/Ben WR1 in round five by drafting the actual Pitt/Ben WR1 in round 12. All the while, the real thieves were the Steelers themselves who drafted the true Ben WR1 in round 2 of the NFL draft.  :ph34r:
Damn, that's meta.  :shock:

DJ is a table pounding buy low if this thread is any indication.
Not really because owners still believe.

In my experience, it takes 3 things for a buy-low:

1. commodity diminishing in perceived, but not actual value

2. Prospective buyers remaining convinced the currently perceived value is lower than actual value

3. True believers losing faith in actual value, believing in perceived value.

it’s that 3rd one that likely hasn’t yet happened. Maybe if he’s limited all week and either misses week 6, or worse plays week 6 & has yet another early exit, those true believers will start to lose faith. 

Of course then prospective buyers will also start to wonder if perception = reality, in which case they’re not buying low, they’re simply “buying”.

This logic applies to redraft. It’s way premature to expect dynasty owners to lose faith this quickly, but it never hurts to ask.

Not really because owners still believe.

In my experience, it takes 3 things for a buy-low:

1. commodity diminishing in perceived, but not actual value

2. Prospective buyers remaining convinced the currently perceived value is lower than actual value

3. True believers losing faith in actual value, believing in perceived value.

it’s that 3rd one that likely hasn’t yet happened. Maybe if he’s limited all week and either misses week 6, or worse plays week 6 & has yet another early exit, those true believers will start to lose faith. 

Of course then prospective buyers will also start to wonder if perception = reality, in which case they’re not buying low, they’re simply “buying”.

This logic applies to redraft. It’s way premature to expect dynasty owners to lose faith this quickly, but it never hurts to ask.
Slayton was a "buy low" last week.

Users who are viewing this thread