What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (4 Viewers)

Lather, rinse, repeat about every 3-4 weeks (or when they play a secondary as inept as the Cowboys secondary has looked) 
Before last week, he was 5th in the league in routes run, and 16th in targets. The production didn't match the metrics. Freeman is just good enough right now too to give the defense a little something to think about, without being a total target vacuum like Barkley. I'm not saying that we're talking about a WR1 here, but wouldn't shock me at all if Slayton finishes around WR20.

Before last week, he was 5th in the league in routes run, and 16th in targets. The production didn't match the metrics. Freeman is just good enough right now too to give the defense a little something to think about, without being a total target vacuum like Barkley. I'm not saying that we're talking about a WR1 here, but wouldn't shock me at all if Slayton finishes around WR20.
Maybe true. Maybe not. Not sure what it has to do with the Dionte Johnson topic. 

Just the definition of a "buy low" 🙂

With DJ you might actually be paying exactly for what you're getting.
Ah - got it. Yeah, there’s often a narrow window to “buy low”. Likewise with “selling high”

if you’re right about either, one would expect to not be able to do either for very long, as those expected risers or fallers will have risen or fallen.

I still think Slayton is prone to wild swings in production, with a high ceiling/low floor, making him also a “buy at actual value” guy, but we all have our takes on that.  

You can buy him dirt cheap when he misses next week, comes back week 7, promptly gets hurt again, and they then IR him. 

You can buy super low then. 

He's low right now but he's going lower guys! 

Glass. 
There we have it.  It’s sell high for some owners thinking Diontae will get injured and over shadowed by the new shiny #11. 

I would look at this as a good time to float an offer because even with Claypool, Diontae should still get a ton of targets. He is too good at getting separation. In fact, Claypool could actually help him by drawing coverage elsewhere.

There we have it.  It’s sell high for some owners thinking Diontae will get injured and over shadowed by the new shiny #11. 

I would look at this as a good time to float an offer because even with Claypool, Diontae should still get a ton of targets. He is too good at getting separation. In fact, Claypool could actually help him by drawing coverage elsewhere.
I think I read an article that he creates the most separation per target in the league, actually.

I think I read an article that he creates the most separation per target in the league, actually.
I don’t think you read that recently though - he’s around 15th rn

For the season he’s at 3.4, which is a respectable number (though misleading as a stand alone metric)

I mean per NextGen Gabriel David & Olamide Zaccheaus creates more average separation 

Lots of very good to elite WRs create less separation but understand leverage - they win 50/50 balls on body control, positioning & sheer strength

For the season he’s at 3.4, which is a respectable number (though misleading as a stand alone metric)

I mean per NextGen Gabriel David & Olamide Zaccheaus creates more average separation 

Lots of very good to elite WRs create less separation but understand leverage - they win 50/50 balls on body control, positioning & sheer strength
who they draw in coverage matters too.

It actually could have been from last seasons data?

It actually could have been from last seasons data?
probably, I’m sure it was true at some point

as someone else pointed out, no one is denying he has some talent

but he’s also not AB just because he’s little & went to a MAC school (ironically the guy trashing made the comp pg 1)

hope he gets healthy in a few weeks, will be good for everyone if he does

probably, I’m sure it was true at some point

as someone else pointed out, no one is denying he has some talent

but he’s also not AB just because he’s little & went to a MAC school (ironically the guy trashing made the comp pg 1)

hope he gets healthy in a few weeks, will be good for everyone if he does
Looks just like him when he plays. AB is a great comp. Now can he get lucky and stay healthy like AB did for basically 5 straight years......that's the million dollar question. 

And he can't separate from the medical staff at the moment so he'd probably have a real hard time with DBs.
Probably good news if they play the 49er, as I’m pretty sure they’ve suited up the medical staff to play DB at this point. Warm bodies. :shrug:  

Looks just like him when he plays. AB is a great comp. Now can he get lucky and stay healthy like AB did for basically 5 straight years......that's the million dollar question. 
Health/durability is a lot less a matter of luck than most here care to believe. Some guys take better care of their bodies/nutrition. Others know how to subtly dodge the biggest hits. Some are very good at body control/balance and don't fall quite as hard. Others are just made of genetic steel. And the most durable have some combo of all of the above. Don't get me wrong, there is obviously some luck involved too. But not nearly close to all.

Best indicator, I would guess is past history, but then you still have the Frank Gores who bust up multiple times early, then become utter tanks later. Without having some regression analytics to lean this into, I'd suspect Frank would prove to be the rare exception to a general rule that past history is the best single indicator of injury proclivity. If true, that doesn't bode well for your man-crush turned turnip.

Health/durability is a lot less a matter of luck than most here care to believe. Some guys take better care of their bodies/nutrition. Others know how to subtly dodge the biggest hits. Some are very good at body control/balance and don't fall quite as hard. Others are just made of genetic steel. And the most durable have some combo of all of the above. Don't get me wrong, there is obviously some luck involved too. But not nearly close to all.

Best indicator, I would guess is past history, but then you still have the Frank Gores who bust up multiple times early, then become utter tanks later. Without having some regression analytics to lean this into, I'd suspect Frank would prove to be the rare exception to a general rule that past history is the best single indicator of injury proclivity. If true, that doesn't bode well for your man-crush turned turnip.
Agreed. Sadly.

Diontae Johnson (back) returned to Steelers practice on Thursday, getting in a "limited" session. 

It gives Johnson a shot at suiting up against the Browns, though Friday's session will be critical. "Full" would have him on track to play. "Limited" would trend him toward a game-time decision. At less than 100 percent health one week after Chase Claypool went nuclear in his absence, Johnson would be a mid-range WR3 if he gets the go-ahead. 

Oct 15, 2020, 4:27 PM ET

I know all the back and forth in here but going to be hard to trot him out if you have another decent option.  Then watch he goes ham.  Ugh..

Leroy Hoard said:
My wr problem from day one. Is he healthy? Should I play a lesser wr that is healthy? Start, bench, or waiver wire?  
Worth holding for a couple of weeks but I don’t feel comfortable starting him.  Let’s see if he can get healthy, get on the field, and stay on the field.  

Glass Diontae letting his owners down yet again. At least he's not going in my starting lineup and then getting tackled once and limping off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Backs can be really tricky, you hope it's not a longterm nerve issue with him...

unless you're the Claypool owner apparently.

Backs are tricky. Diontae could be out several more weeks. Steelers being pretty hush hush on what's wrong with him too isn't helpful. 

He's on my dynasty team so that increases the chances of him being out for the season dramatically. 

You've been warned. Lol

Backs can be really tricky, you hope it's not a longterm nerve issue with him...
I tried telling folks this and was lambasted for it since I didn’t know the specifics of Dionte’s injury. 

The fact is back injuries are among the most difficult to predict the outcome for, and can be aggregated merely by sleeping wrong, much less taking a hit from an NFL LB or S. 

I said it before, I’ll say it again. He’s a hard player to trust right now. 

I tried telling folks this and was lambasted for it since I didn’t know the specifics of Dionte’s injury. 

The fact is back injuries are among the most difficult to predict the outcome for, and can be aggregated merely by sleeping wrong, much less taking a hit from an NFL LB or S. 

I said it before, I’ll say it again. He’s a hard player to trust right now. 
If it's just spasms, it can also heal up and be of no further issue real quickly.

Dealt with them a few times in my young hockey playing days. Would go for a few days feeling like I might never be able to move comfortable again, to playing in a week.

Backs are tricky. Diontae could be out several more weeks. Steelers being pretty hush hush on what's wrong with him too isn't helpful. 
What’s the basis for this statement about the Steelers being hush hush about it or being out several weeks? They said he has a back injury and it must be significant enough that he’s been ruled out early. What more would you expect at this stage? A copy of his medical file?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's just spasms, it can also heal up and be of no further issue real quickly.

Dealt with them a few times in my young hockey playing days. Would go for a few days feeling like I might never be able to move comfortable again, to playing in a week.
This is why I said hard to trust.

I suffered back issues for 6 months. Almost had surgery for a slipped but stable L5. The cortisone shot finally knocked out the inflammation.

But by nature back injuries can be debilitating. it makes it difficult to trust. 

In small leagues, is he droppable if not playing next week?   Can’t imagine anyone wants him in a trade in redraft.   

Really? Not sure how you can say this.  I get having patience.  I still have faith he can produce,  but this is just wishful thinking. 
He still leads the team in targets despite basically missing 2 games, he's their best route runner, and best RAC WR. 

If I were ranking it as everyone is healthy, its Johnson>JuJu>Claypool, and if Claypool stays hot, I think its at JuJu's expense, not Johnson's. 

I feel like we've been through this already with the Steelers with Conner, when people were ready to write him off after week 1, when he underachieved and got hurt, and Snell looked good in his absence. Johnson feels like a potential stud WR(especially in PPR) in the 2nd half of the season. 

I'm not saying Johnson will 100% be the #1, but there is no reason to think he won't be, and he clearly was when healthy so far. Considering what else has been said in this thread, and in Claypool's, Johnson feels like an obvious buy-low for pennies on the dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread