What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (4 Viewers)

He also said it could have been caused by a laceration.

In my view it would make a big difference in assessing the severity of the injury, a ruptured ear drum a lot worse.
Right, I think some who are not medical experts might have thought bleeding from the ear could be something even more serious.  Bleeding from your ear because of a blow to the head and it not being the ear drum or a laceration sounds really scary. 

Still not cleared though, right?  Positive signs for sure, just nothing official.  I’d love to put him in this week if he’s a go and Juju already doubtful, but man it’s hard to trust Rudolph (of course, my other stellar option is ARob).  I suppose DJ’s appeal would grow if Conner is also out

That one guy said:
Still not cleared though, right?  Positive signs for sure, just nothing official.  I’d love to put him in this week if he’s a go and Juju already doubtful, but man it’s hard to trust Rudolph (of course, my other stellar option is ARob).  I suppose DJ’s appeal would grow if Conner is also out
I think the Bears are going with Chase Daniel which should be an improvement. I haven't looked at the numbers though.

As far as the QB part of your decision I think your better off with Robinson.

I think the Bears are going with Chase Daniel which should be an improvement. I haven't looked at the numbers though.

As far as the QB part of your decision I think your better off with Robinson.
Where are you hearing/ seeing that? Everything I've read & heard on the local radio is that Mitch has been a full practice participant and is slated to start on Sunday.

As a Bears fan, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if Mitch doesn't play... but Daniel isn't really the answer either. 

Regardless, I still think i'd go ARob over Johnson.

Where are you hearing/ seeing that? Everything I've read & heard on the local radio is that Mitch has been a full practice participant and is slated to start on Sunday.

As a Bears fan, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if Mitch doesn't play... but Daniel isn't really the answer either. 

Regardless, I still think i'd go ARob over Johnson.
Oh really? I guess I'm not up to date on that.

I was under the impression that Mitch was benched. Perhaps that is not the case. 

I do think Daniel gives them a better chance to win and makes their receivers a bit better. He isnt the same running threat though.

Oh really? I guess I'm not up to date on that.

I was under the impression that Mitch was benched. Perhaps that is not the case. 

I do think Daniel gives them a better chance to win and makes their receivers a bit better. He isnt the same running threat though.
It's been all over the local radio, but Nagy insists Mitch wasn't benched...  :rolleyes:

In any case, ARob is basically Mitch's fav (possibly only) target on the team. So if he plays, ARob would be in my lineup. 

While Daniel might offer the better chance to win, Mitch offers the better fantasy for ARob IMO. In the case of ARob vs. Johnson, if Mitch plays; start ARob. If Chase starts, flip a coin.

I didn’t even mention also having MJones available with Driskel chunking the ball around.  I am wealthy in uncertainty!

Anywho, moving away from who do I start land, now is probably a great time to try and buy from contenders as they look for more solid floor players

(RotoWire) Johnson (concussion) doesn't carry an injury designation for Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Analysis: Johnson practiced fully all week, which puts him in line to play Sunday. He'll play a key role opposite fellow wideout James Washington this weekend, with JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion/knee) already having been ruled out on Friday's final Week 12 injury report. In that context, Johnson -- who caught two passes for 17 yards while logging 38 snaps before exiting Week 11's loss to the Browns -- appears to be in a good spot for a bounce-back effort, facing an 0-10 Cincinnati squad that has allowed an average of 258.1 passing yards per game.

Diontae Johnson caught 6-of-8 targets for 60 yards and a touchdown in Pittsburgh's Week 14 win over the Cardinals.

He was singlehandedly responsible for 14 of Pittsburgh's 23 points, slicing through several flailing arm tackles for an 85-yard punt return before hauling in a back-shoulder fade from Devlin Hodges to give the Steelers a 20-10 lead heading into the fourth quarter. He also turned a would-be-dead screen behind the line of scrimmage into a 14-yard gain solely by using his vision and athleticism to reverse the field. Johnson's 60 receiving yards were encouraging for his rest-of-season outlook, but he shouldn't be considered anything more than a WR4/5 once JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) returns.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:27 PM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-7 targets for 62 yards in Week 15 against Buffalo.

He also fumbled a handoff from James Conner in the red-zone at the end of the first half. Johnson made up for that by opening the second half with a 31-yard catch and run. This was another solid game from Johnson coming off a 6/60/1 line last week. Depending on JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) status, Johnson will be on the FLEX radar for a Week 16 matchup with the Jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this kid from a dynasty perspective, although I want to see how he's used with Juju healthy. I wonder if the extra attention defenses will pay Juju could give Johnson that little inch of space to break big play(s). 

Diontae Johnson compiled eight catches for a team-high 81 yards and a touchdown on nine targets Sunday in Pittsburgh’s Week 16 loss to the Jets.

Johnson gave the Steelers some momentum by snatching a game-tying touchdown pass from Mason Rudolph just before the half. He dusted Blessuan Austin, beating him down the sideline for an uncontested 29-yard score. The touchdown was his fifth of 2019, seventh-most among rookies. Johnson took his lumps early on but he's been much better down the stretch, supplying 60-plus yards in each of his last three games. The 13-2 Ravens host the Steelers in Week 17, though Pittsburgh will probably be getting Baltimore's B squad now that the Ravens have wrapped up homefield advantage in the AFC.

Last edited by a moderator:
(RotoWire) Johnson caught four of seven targets for 54 yards in Sunday's 28-10 loss to the Ravens.

Analysis: Although the rookie receiver failed to hit the century mark in a game, Johnson finished the 2019 season with a solid 59-680-5 line while playing in all 16 contests. With several players missing time due to injury Johnson led the team in catches and receiving touchdowns as well as targets (92). He also ran for 41 yards on four carries and led the league by averaging 12.4 yards per punt returns, including an 85-yard touchdown. Johnson has upside heading into the 2020 season, especially if Pittsburgh gets more consistent play at quarterback.
65-900-6

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac reports Diontae Johnson is recovering from a sports-hernia operation.

Johnson posted a picture of himself in the hospital a week ago. It was apparently for this fairly routine operation. It typically comes with a 4-6 week recovery timeline, but the Steelers won't push it during the offseason. Johnson could be limited in OTAs. With JuJu Smith-Schuster banged up, rookie Johnson finished second on the Steelers in yardage in 2019, catching at least four passes each of the final four games of the season. There's a real chance Johnson opens 2020 as the No. 2 receiver ahead of James Washington.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Feb 13, 2020, 6:10 PM ET

Big things coming for Diontae Johnson after a good rookie season with sub par QB play......Big Ben, even at his age, should be a nice upgrade for the second year receiver. 
You have been beating this drum for awhile, and props to you...because he made some plays. But with Washington showing at times, Ebron added at TE, Chase drafted highly, Big Ben back...there is a lot to sort out in Pitt.

You have been beating this drum for awhile, and props to you...because he made some plays. But with Washington showing at times, Ebron added at TE, Chase drafted highly, Big Ben back...there is a lot to sort out in Pitt.
True, but he is probably the best route runner on the team. I think Ben is gonna love him. 

JuJu is gone after this year. Ebron is a TE. Diontae will be fine. 

Diontae Johnson is one of the most undervalued WR in dynasty right now. If you don't own him go get him now before everyone else figures it out. 
Not only do I agree but I'd say in redraft as well.  I am a Steeler fan, JuJu is one of my favorite players in the league and I own him on a few dynasty teams so taking that for what it's worth when I say I legit don't know who the #1 WR on the team is right now. Again this not coming from a place of being down on JuJu.

What's his value if I was looking to aquire him?
I picked him up for 2.5 last week in a PPR league.  It's really a good time to buy right now for two reasons. One if your league has not drafted yet, you can probably get someone to fall in rookie love with a prospect. The other is Claypool addition might have irked some people on his value.

That league I got him for 2.5 I offered it for him about a week before the NFL draft. They counted asking for 1.11 and throwing in Stills.  Well I figured the Steelers would draft a WR and I knew a good chance with that pick at 49 and I also was counting on rookie fever so I said no and sure enough the trade got re-offered me to after they drafted Claypool.

I picked him up in another league where I dealt Mike Evans for Cooper and Dionte as I'm a little worried about pairing of Brady with Evans. I posted that trade in the trade thread and a few replies said they would prefer Cooper straight up to Evans(since both teams added Gronk and Lamb so opinions might have changed). But for me I would absolutely not have traded Evans straight up for Cooper, concerns over Brady or not.  What seemed like a throw in, Diontae, was actually the impetus for the trade offer. I wanted to find a way to add him, had no picks from round 2-5. But when I made the trade I looked first to see who had Diontae and then worked on what I'd want them to add to him to get Evans from me.

What's his value if I was looking to aquire him?
For a lot of people he's a high end WR3 so like WR26-WR30. To me he's WR12 in dynasty. 

It's pretty clear to me Pittsburgh doesn't view JuJu as a #1 WR, he's clearly better at playing solely in the slot where he can get away from the #1 CB. His contract is coming up. He's going to want to get paid after he has a big year this year playing inside. Pittsburgh isn't going to pay him or at least that's what they are thinking right now. That's why they drafted a WR so early this year.

With the writing on the wall with JuJu I think Diontae is Pittsburgh's #1 WR and they know it. That position is worth a lot. 

For a lot of people he's a high end WR3 so like WR26-WR30. To me he's WR12 in dynasty. 

It's pretty clear to me Pittsburgh doesn't view JuJu as a #1 WR, he's clearly better at playing solely in the slot where he can get away from the #1 CB. His contract is coming up. He's going to want to get paid after he has a big year this year playing inside. Pittsburgh isn't going to pay him or at least that's what they are thinking right now. That's why they drafted a WR so early this year.

With the writing on the wall with JuJu I think Diontae is Pittsburgh's #1 WR and they know it. That position is worth a lot. 
WR 12....holy chit

To me he's WR12 in dynasty. 

Pittsburgh's #1 WR and they know it. That position is worth a lot. 
So I found someone who is higher on Diontae then me.

My holdup is the post-Ben future, which I'm guessing we see in 2022 but he's 38,  does not strike me as someone like Brady who is obsessive about keeping in shape/condition so he could fall off anytime.

Where I trust the Steeler's when it comes to drafting WR's I feel the opposite on QB's. In the past 50 years they've hit on Big Ben and Bradshaw, next best two  they have drafted in that 50 year span was O'Donnell and Kordell. This team, IMO, went over  20 years between franchise QB's. They passed Dan Marino.  Best QB they drafted since taking Ben in 2004 was........I don't know, none of them were any good.  We can wipe that away by saying they did not commit premium picks to QB, with the highest being a third. That's fair but I've read multiple reports they had a first round grade on Rudolph and still remain determined with him to the extent they would not even mess with Winston.  I'm in the Rudolph is awful camp, and it's all part of why my trust level in this team to properly identify QB talent concerns me. That's my biggest worry with Diontae.

I agree JuJu is likely gone after this year, writing is on the wall. I'm  just thinking him or his fantasy owners might be the lucky ones.

Diontae Johnson is one of the most undervalued WR in dynasty right now. If you don't own him go get him now before everyone else figures it out. 
Tried to acquire him. Owner of squad he's on is from Pittsburgh. He wanted top dollar, so you're losing that trade to begin with. Unfortunately, that's a no thanks in my book. Will have to watch from afar. 

I own him in both my dynasties. I want to say late first, but then I look at what's the on board - Pittman, Ruggs, Higgins, Mims - I'd rather have Dionte. And no one is giving up a mid-first (Akers/Lamb territory). So he's probably a guy I'd move for late first + prospect I like.

So I found someone who is higher on Diontae then me.

My holdup is the post-Ben future, which I'm guessing we see in 2022 but he's 38,  does not strike me as someone like Brady who is obsessive about keeping in shape/condition so he could fall off anytime.

Where I trust the Steeler's when it comes to drafting WR's I feel the opposite on QB's. In the past 50 years they've hit on Big Ben and Bradshaw, next best two  they have drafted in that 50 year span was O'Donnell and Kordell. This team, IMO, went over  20 years between franchise QB's. They passed Dan Marino.  Best QB they drafted since taking Ben in 2004 was........I don't know, none of them were any good.  We can wipe that away by saying they did not commit premium picks to QB, with the highest being a third. That's fair but I've read multiple reports they had a first round grade on Rudolph and still remain determined with him to the extent they would not even mess with Winston.  I'm in the Rudolph is awful camp, and it's all part of why my trust level in this team to properly identify QB talent concerns me. That's my biggest worry with Diontae.

I agree JuJu is likely gone after this year, writing is on the wall. I'm  just thinking him or his fantasy owners might be the lucky ones.
Don't disagree with this post that's a situation to monitor but It's hard to look much past two years and Diontae started to warm up last year without Ben. Diontae is going to pop this year and next. If I don't like his situation when Ben is gone I can trade him for a haul 2022. 

I just traded the 1.7 for Johnson and the 2.3 pick. My first break was at 1.6 and the 2nd break ends at 15 (2.3) so I should be able to get one of my guys with that pick.
I don't play dynasty, but some guy traded D. Johnson to move up 9 spots?!?!?  Seems crazy.  Nice trade.

I don't play dynasty, but some guy traded D. Johnson to move up 9 spots?!?!?  Seems crazy.  Nice trade.
I think Johnson's value is a little all over the place. I sent out the offer and the guy did a really quick accept, which is good, we have 2 owners happy with the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread