What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Facebook and Facebook Groups - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Do you use Facebook Groups?

• Yes. I love them

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Yes. I like them

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Yes. But they're just meh

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • No.

Votes: 55 62.5%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Obviously, if you're reading this, you're ok with this type of "old school" online community and a message board.

The questions I have for you are these: 

1. Do you use Facebook?

2. Do you use any Facebook Groups?

I'm especially interested in if you use Facebook Groups. If so, can you elaborate on groups you like and how you use them and in particular, pros and cons of Facebook Groups compared to a message board forum like this one? 

Thanks.

Searching for specific things are really hard on Facebook, information gets lost really easily. I come to the message boards for opinions on specific players and I don’t see Facebook groups as a great match there. For news and discussion on recent developments I think Facebook groups fit but I am not a Facebook fan due to privacy concerns. I do use Facebook regularly though (unfortunately).

I've almost got to the point where I *only* interact with people on FB in groups and very minimally on my own feed. I'm in a geeky star wars movie group, a few political ones, couple sports themed, and some of us have a regular poker game that we use a FB group as the organizing force for.

I'm in a few FB groups - one for music, one for politics, a cast iron cooking group, and a few for BBQ/smokers. I like the groups for like-minded discussions and interests. A message board like FBGs imo is better for information. FB topics tend to disappear and the same topics are brought up frequently with the same answers. I like the message board format for keeping the discussion/information organized.

I belong to a group from my hometown, a group from my high school class, a group from my college athletic teams and a group for fishing in my area. The only one I have ever interacted with anybody on is my high school class. The rest are just for information.

I use a few for sports teams, work groups, etc.  It's a good way to communicate for work things, but usually a lot of clutter and multiple posts in the sports groups as search features are never used and are pretty bad.

If you're making this to consider moving the platform over there, I would personally think that to be a bad idea.  The lack of anonymity required would discourage probably 90% of users here. (Though, maybe a lack of anonymity is what you're looking for).  You would probably get a severe decrease in people using the board and therefore they would become almost useless.

I use a few for sports teams, work groups, etc.  It's a good way to communicate for work things, but usually a lot of clutter and multiple posts in the sports groups as search features are never used and are pretty bad.

If you're making this to consider moving the platform over there, I would personally think that to be a bad idea.  The lack of anonymity required would discourage probably 90% of users here. (Though, maybe a lack of anonymity is what you're looking for).  You would probably get a severe decrease in people using the board and therefore they would become almost useless.
Nothing would be moved. If we did something, it would be an addition. 

I don't understand what you mean though, if 90% of the users here wouldn't go there, how would it affect this board to make it "almost useless"?

I don't understand what you mean though, if 90% of the users here wouldn't go there, how would it affect this board to make it "almost useless"?
I guess I made the assumption you were thinking of moving it all over.   So I meant that if the ONLY board was the FB one, it would become useless.

The addition thing would be interesting but I still think the anonymity would be an issue. 

The addition thing would be interesting but I still think the anonymity would be an issue. 
For sure it would make things very different. No doubt. In some ways good as it would cut down hopefully on the itoughguy stuff. But also limit discussion in other ways. 

Not a big Facebook person, and I don’t think I’d check the Facebook groups.

If we are talking about changes we’d like to see, I’d rather have Jene’s combined draft board right now.

Not a big Facebook person, and I don’t think I’d check the Facebook groups.

If we are talking about changes we’d like to see, I’d rather have Jene’s combined draft board right now.
With you. Almost ready. It's ridiculous we have it for free content to everyone but that's how it'll be. 

I happen to be a member of a van group which started out as a message board and later decided to have a Facebook group as well. The Facebook group seems to have become the main entry point for new users and a lot of information just stay in the group instead of being more easily searchable through the boards. So lots of the same questions popping up about technical issues and diy guides, and the message board just seems much more stale (maybe it always was, lol).

Regarding anonymity, if it wasn’t there a lot of people wouldn’t post out of fear of league opponents listening in imo.

Interesting to see such an extreme on both ends.  People either use it a lot, or not at all.  I guess that makes sense though.

Regarding anonymity, if it wasn’t there a lot of people wouldn’t post out of fear of league opponents listening in imo.
This too.  You'd have to make the group private so that people could see who was reading their posts. 

One way to go maybe if you wanted to add it to the message boards would be to do something totally different than these boards.  Not just the same discussion.  I don't know what that would be though... maybe polls (that could be anonymous), or maybe simply for WDIS stuff?

I happen to be a member of a van group which started out as a message board and later decided to have a Facebook group as well. The Facebook group seems to have become the main entry point for new users and a lot of information just stay in the group instead of being more easily searchable through the boards. So lots of the same questions popping up about technical issues and diy guides, and the message board just seems much more stale (maybe it always was, lol).

I don't use FB and don't plan on it. Joe if Footballguys isn't already on FB it should be, expand the brand! Like Sneakerfreak's van forum, it will likely create separate discussions on the same topic on different platforms. Twitter probably does this already. As far as FB being a more civil platform I wouldn't count on it.

Interesting to see such an extreme on both ends.  People either use it a lot, or not at all.  I guess that makes sense though.

Right. It's not usually something you check once a day. You get into a conversation and go back to it. 

I guess if you limit your use to pictures of kids and vacations it's easier to limit, but if you're in groups it's addicting.

Personally I'd probably quit it except I like looking back at memories and keeping up with people I usually don't see. Plus right now we're going through some stuff that's helpful to communicate with lots of people instead of sending mass emails or multiple texts. So my wife put a group together for our stuff. 

You mentioned making it paid only. 
Apologies if I wasn't clear. I said, "It's ridiculous we have it for free content to everyone but that's how it'll be."

It is free. And it's ridiculous. Hopefully most people will purchase the premium subscription so we can continue to pay Jene for his outstanding work. You're probably already signed up but if not, the Early Bird Discount is still on AND you can get it for free with just a $10 deposit if you're a new DraftKings customer. Thanks. 

Use facebook, and groups.  Local mountain bike club (a few hundred members) uses it to notify members of trail conditions (and when to not use them), and to announce group rides.  Better than e-mail, and not quite as intrusive as a group text. 

Slight Hijack. Does anyone use a FB Group for posting league info (rules, ect) 
We used to but a couple guys deleted their FB because of how insane it got during the last 5 years so we switched to just using group text and some shared Google files. Works out well for me since it was literally the only reason I ever used FB. 

Other than the SP, I use reditt.
Haven’t posted to or scrolled FB in 6-7 years.

Most of my FF info comes from Reddit, Twitter and YouTube. Most of the Podcasts I listen to have a YT channel. FBGs does not AFAIK.

IG for personal stuff & maintaining connections but less and less each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
 some shared Google files
Never thought of that, thanks for the idea. Email wasn't working ("hey, i can't find the email, can you resend that part about trades again ? ") and was looking for some kind of repository for that. Especially now I have to change a bunch of things because of the extra week. 

Never thought of that, thanks for the idea. Email wasn't working ("hey, i can't find the email, can you resend that part about trades again ? ") and was looking for some kind of repository for that. Especially now I have to change a bunch of things because of the extra week. 
Works well but also be prepared for "what was that Google file again?" and "can you share it with me, I can't find it". 

Users who are viewing this thread