What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brett Rypien, FA (2 Viewers)

Deamon

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread on Brett yet. Lots of potential and surprising to not be drafted this year. Had a lot of UDFA offers and a very high guarantee for a udfa qb. Hopefully will make the final team as the 3rd qb.

Last edited by a moderator:
One Broncos insider:

"Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rypien had a longer career than second-round pick Drew Lock. I wish a book would offer me juicy odds on Rypien starting more career games."

What an awesome late game performance by Rypien.  He has to make this team, he won't last on their practice squad.

You'd have to play in a pretty deep league to roster an undrafted third/fourth string QB (or maybe have a taxi squad).

Sure he could become a starting QB someday but the odds are against it and how long can you "waste" that roster spot?

Or be in any reasonably-sized superflex league
Yes, Rypien is a complete no brainer stash in any non shallow dynasty league. His cost is nothing more than a roster spot, and his chance of getting a starting job is higher than any current non starters outside of Bridgewater, Mullens, and Brissett. 

I think Rypien has as much chance as Lock to win that job.  Rypien is to Simeon as Lock is to Osweiler/Lynch. 

Eta: probably more of a no brainer for me because part of my roster construction strategy is to make sure I concentrate value enough that I always have extra roster spots for lottery tickets. 

Why is he not getting any preseason reps?  By all accounts he has outplayed Hogan and Lock in practices... and looked good in his limited preseason action.  Some speculating that they're trying to hide him so they can stash him on their PS and no one will take him away.  Seems risky, especially given all the money they paid for him.

I can see them not wanting 2 developmental QB's on the roster, but Hogan has looked flat out awful.  Brett deserves a chance in there, especially now that Lock is hurt! 

Decent game tonight.  Outplayed Hogan again.  Will be a slap in the face if they keep Hogan over him.

They better put Rypien in - at least as the backup.  WHY would you waste a start on Brandon Allen?
I don't get it.  Seems like all these moves from signing Flacco, to not going for it on 4th downs, to bringing in and likely starting Allen... are all moves that smell of fear.  Not sure if they're scared to be so bad and not sell seats?  Lots of 'play it safe' calls that are just going to result in more 7 point losses. 

Brett is more prepared to play than Lock is.  If he lights it up, take the 'controversy' and media questions head on and deal with it.  Don't shy away from it.  If he sucks, then he's safe on your practice squad.  No risk.  Why TF start Allen!?

I don't get it.  Seems like all these moves from signing Flacco, to not going for it on 4th downs, to bringing in and likely starting Allen... are all moves that smell of fear.  Not sure if they're scared to be so bad and not sell seats?  Lots of 'play it safe' calls that are just going to result in more 7 point losses. 

Brett is more prepared to play than Lock is.  If he lights it up, take the 'controversy' and media questions head on and deal with it.  Don't shy away from it.  If he sucks, then he's safe on your practice squad.  No risk.  Why TF start Allen!?
My thoughts exactly. 

The only reason not to start Rypien is that he might be good, and then they might have a hard time going to Lock? Sounds like Elway logic or something...

If Rypien is better than Lock that's great, the GM still wins.  It's a good problem to have, especially if Lock needs time to develop. 

I think this year's QB class is very underrated with the emergence of Allen and Minshew already.  It's silly to not see what Rypien can do.  Denver is already lucky that Pittsburgh or KC didn't claim him off the PS.  KC could have done it out of spite.  

kittenmittens said:
My thoughts exactly. 

The only reason not to start Rypien is that he might be good, and then they might have a hard time going to Lock? Sounds like Elway logic or something...

If Rypien is better than Lock that's great, the GM still wins.  It's a good problem to have, especially if Lock needs time to develop. 

I think this year's QB class is very underrated with the emergence of Allen and Minshew already.  It's silly to not see what Rypien can do.  Denver is already lucky that Pittsburgh or KC didn't claim him off the PS.  KC could have done it out of spite.  
FTR Allen was an UDFA in 2018 not 2019. They drafted Grier

I liked this guy a lot pre draft. Was a bit surprised he didnt get drafted at all. Disappointed he ended up in Denver with them drafting Lock. 

Any word on him at all? I'd hope they'd let him start too but it looks like Allen

I find it telling that, despite his apparent emergence as a spot starter during prime bye weeks, nobody has bumped the Brandon Allen thread, but the Brett Rypien thread is exploding...

I liked this guy a lot pre draft. Was a bit surprised he didnt get drafted at all. Disappointed he ended up in Denver with them drafting Lock. 

Any word on him at all? I'd hope they'd let him start too but it looks like Allen

I find it telling that, despite his apparent emergence as a spot starter during prime bye weeks, nobody has bumped the Brandon Allen thread, but the Brett Rypien thread is exploding...
Allen sucks, and has no future in the league.  Brett is much better.  Broncos are scared to take a risk and do anything that isn't 'safe', and maybe scared of Brett playing so well that the fans won't want any part of Lock.

They should have played Allen earlier.  Probably could have traded him to Chicago for a late pick.... 

The fact that they thought Flacco was going to win games tells you all you need to know about that organizations ability to evaluate the QB position.  Well, that and their last few drafts. 

Didn't draft a QB but picked up Riley Neil as a UDFA.  Don't know much about him but he seems to have a lot of concerns, so hopefully Brett makes the team as the 3rd QB.

Cut by Denver today.  Brutal. 

I guess their hope is he again makes it to the practice squad as their #3. 

I hope another team gives him a shot, he's wasting away in Denver.

@Deamon

https://twitter.com/bkdenversports/status/1309332188186329088?s=21

“Per NFL Source: The Broncos are signing QB Brett Rypien to the active 53-man roster. Not the biggest surprise considering Vic told us Bortles wouldn’t be ready to backup Driskel this week. Good for Brett, who’s worked hard, helped Lock, and gets a nice pay raise! “
Thanks!  Couple ppl sent me that already tonight, exciting news.  Sucked when they signed Bortles, but hoping Brett can get in the game at some point.

Coach Vic Fangio relayed Monday that he hasn't decided whether Rypien or Jeff Driskel will start against the Jets on Thursday, Zac Stevens of TheDNVR.com reports.

ANALYSIS
With Drew Lock (shoulder) out, Driskel started this past Sunday's loss against the Buccaneers, but he was replaced by Rypien after recording just 5.9 yards per attempt, a touchdown and an interception. Rypien was more accurate and just as efficient, completing eight of nine passes for 53 yards (5.9 YPA) and an interception in his first NFL action. The two may compete during the practice week, and Fangio was clear that Blake Bortles isn't in the starting conversation at this time.

With Jeff Driskel benched, who should Denver start at QB on Thursday?

Excerpt:

Should the Broncos rip it with Rypien in Week 4?

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that they absolutely should roll with Rypien over Jeff Driskel in their game against the Jets because in the limited action Rypien saw against Tampa Bay, Rypien looked more prepared, comfortable, and just flat out better than Driskel.

Where Driskel’s Week 3 performance brought on flashbacks of Sam Darnold ‘seeing ghosts’ while facing the Patriots’ defense last season, Rypien looked like he belonged. He knew where to go with the ball on his dropbacks and arguably did a better job than Lock has in the past in regards to working through his progressions.

That’s incredibly impressive considering that Rypien has never played in a non-preseason NFL game, hasn’t taken a rep in a game since last year’s preseason, and hasn’t taken a snap in a game that mattered since his Boise State Broncos had their bowl game canceled at the end of the 2018 season. Meanwhile, Driskel started multiple NFL games in each of the past two seasons.

The Jets game is one the Broncos just can’t afford to lose, so they have to start the quarterback that gives them the best chance to win. We may not yet know whether that quarterback is Rypien or Blake Bortles, but one thing we do know is that quarterback isn’t Driskel.

They could probably sign Jay Cutler on Wednesday and still beat the Jets the way they are playing. There is a pretty good chance the donkey defense outscores the Jets offense.

If den drops to 0-4 by losing to the Jets and getting out-coached by Gase you pretty much have to pull the plug on the Vic Fangio Experience, no? Forget about making Rypien the QB.... you may as well make Rypien the new GM as well. 

They could probably sign Jay Cutler on Wednesday and still beat the Jets the way they are playing. There is a pretty good chance the donkey defense outscores the Jets offense.

If den drops to 0-4 by losing to the Jets and getting out-coached by Gase you pretty much have to pull the plug on the Vic Fangio Experience, no? Forget about making Rypien the QB.... you may as well make Rypien the new GM as well. 
You wish. LOL

You wish. LOL
Not really. I with den would give elway/Fangio that Gruden 10yr guaranteed contract to be honest.

Think of all the homeless in CO walking around in ex-bronco QB jerseys that will have been donated over the course of a decade. If for no other reason give elway an extension for the sake of humanity.

it's early in the season, but dare I say this is a must-lose game. if Rypien is the guy to lead the team to the L, and the eventual 1st overall pick, then let's ride.

it's early in the season, but dare I say this is a must-lose game. if Rypien is the guy to lead the team to the L, and the eventual 1st overall pick, then let's ride.
Lol. Based on his performance vs the Steelers this year and a couple of decent starts last year with the Lions, Driskel is more likely to lead the Broncos away from the number 1 pick. All i want is someone to throw Fant the ball.

Lol. Based on his performance vs the Steelers this year and a couple of decent starts last year with the Lions, Driskel is more likely to lead the Broncos away from the number 1 pick. All i want is someone to throw Fant the ball.
Driskell sucks.  I honestly think the Jets will beat a Driskell lead Broncos team.  The Jets have little time to prepare for Brett, and his confidence and reads are way better.  They'll probably keep him more conservative than they did during garbage time this week, but I think that would be a bad idea.  There's nothing to lose by getting him to play his game.

#LETBRETTCOOK

Does he have that Ryan Finley mojo?  Reading Deamon's posts makes me think the answer is no.

-QG

Congrats @Deamon!!!

Side note - Finley was an unstoppable force of losing who helped us land Joe Burrow.  This does not appear to be your cousin's MO

-QG

Congrats @Deamon!!!

Side note - Finley was an unstoppable force of losing who helped us land Joe Burrow.  This does not appear to be your cousin's MO

-QG
Ya I just got the fantasy life update that he was starting!  Super excited.  But also mad that I have to work and will be PVR'ing the game.

NFL Network's James Palmer reports 2019 UDFA Brett Rypien will be the Broncos' starting quarterback for Thursday's game against the Jets. 

Mark's nephew, Rypien has been with the Broncos since last year. The 24-year-old Boise State product made 49 starts for BSU, compiling a career 37-12 record and completing 64 percent of his throws at 8.4 yards per attempt with 90 touchdowns and 24 picks. Rypien has plus accuracy but smallish hands (9") and marginal arm talent. Maybe he will be better than Jeff Driskel, but Thursday's game against the Jets is shaping up to be a dismal descent into darkness even by the standards of the very worst TNF matchups. Even vs. the laughingstock Jets, Rypien is not a recommended streamer. 

- Rotoworld

I had Lock as my QB2 until Tua gets the job in Miami (16-team league), so I probably need to keep cycling thru the DEN flavor of the week just to have a nominal starter available should I need one due to bye or injury.

Users who are viewing this thread