What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delivery Fee Is Not A Tip (1 Viewer)

It's not a tip. It's the wage the company pays to have a driver. Plus whatever extra the company wants to milk out of it.

Please explain. 
Just another way companies are double dipping to make customers cover their expenses.

The whole tip driven employment scheme is such a scam.  The idea that it will lead to better service is just an excuse for companies to make you pay for their employees.  I just got back from New Zealand where service people are paid real wages and tips are truly optional and service was 10x better than what it is here in the States.

Pay a good tip you cheap bassturds. Those guys work hard for little dough, and it hurts nobody to tip a guy well.

Arguing over semantics about tipping is just cheap and petty talk. All you guys who won’t tip out of principle should be ashamed of yourselves.

Help your fellow man for crissakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay a good tip you cheap bassturds. Those guys work hard for little dough, and it hurts nobody tip a guy well.

Arguing over semantics about tipping is just cheap and petty talk. All you guys who won’t tip out of principle should be ashamed of yourselves.

I tip the hell out of pizza drivers. You bring me food when my drunk ### can't drive somewhere to get it myself, you're damn right you're getting some extra cash.

Yes, this is basically the only situation that I ever order pizza.

So the driver has already been paid and an additional tip is unnecessary? 
Nope.  However, if I normally tip $5 and the delivery fee is $3, the driver is only getting an additional $2.  I really hate companies that do this.  Makes you feel like you're stiffing the delivery guy.

Just another way companies are double dipping to make customers cover their expenses.

The whole tip driven employment scheme is such a scam.  The idea that it will lead to better service is just an excuse for companies to make you pay for their employees.  I just got back from New Zealand where service people are paid real wages and tips are truly optional and service was 10x better than what it is here in the States.
The practice is 100% archaic and many countries have progressed beyond it.

Pay a good tip you cheap bassturds. Those guys work hard for little dough, and it hurts nobody to tip a guy well.

Then of course, you get these sorts of replies from people that completely miss the point, and want to shame others into their backwards mindset.

Nope.  However, if I normally tip $5 and the delivery fee is $3, the driver is only getting an additional $2.  I really hate companies that do this.  Makes you feel like you're stiffing the delivery guy.
What?

If the total bill is $20, with $3 of that being a delivery charge and you give the driver $22, the driver gets a $2 tip. The company gives the driver, maybe, $1 from that $3, and the company keeps $2. The $1 the driver gets is compensation for gas/oil.

Also, if a driver gets paid $7.50 an hour, many times when the driver goes on delivery, their wage goes down to, say, $5.50 an hour. The company assumes the driver will get bumped up to minimum with their tip. The company will do whatever it can to save as much money as they can. 

Delivery was great in the early 2000’s then some laws changed and it sucks now. 

Then of course, you get these sorts of replies from people that completely miss the point, and want to shame others into their backwards mindset.
I'm all for a living wage and no tipping, just know the price of everything is going up and you're going to end up paying about the same anyway.

I'm all for a living wage and no tipping, just know the price of everything is going up and you're going to end up paying about the same anyway.
Plenty of other countries pay their servers a real wage and pizza delivery places were doing fine before they started charging delivery fees.

Please explain. 
To be perfectly clear--I am just speculating based on being the manager of a business.  When I have an employee that I need to ask to run a delivery--it costs our business a lot more than if a customer comes to us.   If I have to send an employee out-- it costs far more payroll (lets say the delivery takes a total of 30 minutes round trip) versus the employee time it would take if the customer came to us, it also costs the business the mileage fees that are owed to that employee, as well as the insurance costs associated with the liability of having  an employee driving around.  

If you look at a pizza joint---a customer that places a  $25 order for carryout versus a customer that places the same order for delivery  is going to result in vastly different profit margins for the restaurant.  The driver getting "tips" is not going to change or effect that profit margin discrepancy for the business itself.   The delivery fee is just the businesses/restaurants way of recouping their physical costs of delivery.  

Customers are the ones paying for employees no matter what. 

You're not wrong about the tipping system being a mess though.

To be perfectly clear--I am just speculating based on being the manager of a business.  When I have an employee that I need to ask to run a delivery--it costs our business a lot more than if a customer comes to us.   If I have to send an employee out-- it costs far more payroll (lets say the delivery takes a total of 30 minutes round trip) versus the employee time it would take if the customer came to us, it also costs the business the mileage fees that are owed to that employee, as well as the insurance costs associated with the liability of having  an employee driving around.  

If you look at a pizza joint---a customer that places a  $25 order for carryout versus a customer that places the same order for delivery  is going to result in vastly different profit margins for the restaurant.  The driver getting "tips" is not going to change or effect that profit margin discrepancy for the business itself.   The delivery fee is just the businesses/restaurants way of recouping their physical costs of delivery.  
Would you agree the corporate pizza joint offering delivery likely gets a much larger market share versus the local mom and pop that doesn’t?

Those costs are offset simply by making delivery an option. 

Delivery fees rarely, if ever, go to the driver.
I meant in that the company is getting paid for the cost of a driver plus whatever convenience fee they feel they can get away with. $3 a delivery for a 3-4 mile round trip that has 4-5 stops covers the companies cost of having to pay whatever low wage they are giving the drivers. The drivers get screwed because they have to pay their own gas.

I'm in NYC, so eliminate the car and gas/etc from the equation...almost all guys on electric powered bikes. We use seamless delivery app service for all our takeout, where it leaves an option to tip (autopopulated @20% which we change to 10, depending on the weather).

Lately we've noticed some restaurants have put in the delivery charge...upwards of 5 bucks. Given the bicycles and close proximity, I have no idea what that money is for or where it goes...also makes a small order turn into a why bother order, so we eliminate the restaurants that do this from our roster of go-tos. Sucks though, because one of them was a go-to.

Plenty of other countries pay their servers a real wage and pizza delivery places were doing fine before they started charging delivery fees.
Is this a corporate thing? None of the local places we order from do this. This fee wouldnt influence that behavior, but it would get me to pause before ordering when I'm out of town. 

Decreasing the tip isnt the answer though. Tip the same or order from somewhere else. 

I'm in NYC, so eliminate the car and gas/etc from the equation...almost all guys on electric powered bikes. We use seamless delivery app service for all our takeout, where it leaves an option to tip (autopopulated @20% which we change to 10, depending on the weather).

Lately we've noticed some restaurants have put in the delivery charge...upwards of 5 bucks. Given the bicycles and close proximity, I have no idea what that money is for or where it goes...also makes a small order turn into a why bother order, so we eliminate the restaurants that do this from our roster of go-tos. Sucks though, because one of them was a go-to.
Just get an electric bike and you can go to it. 

Always tip delivery drivers 20% (or more), you bums. Pizza, Chinese, Amazon, whatever. Those people are working hard while you're at home, sitting on your biscuit.

Always tip delivery drivers 20% (or more), you bums. Pizza, Chinese, Amazon, whatever. Those people are working hard while you're at home, sitting on your biscuit.
How would you tip an Amazon delivery?

If it truly is the Amz delivery guy, they usually just drop and go. Even if I'm home they don't stop and wait

When Uber went mandatory service fee they said it was because people would no tip like they did for rides. 

Whatever the service fee is I just roughly double it. 

I thought that's what the tip was for?
This has already been covered. It costs the pizza place more to deliver you a pizza than it does if you go pick it up. This includes the base wage for the driver, insurance, vehicle/mileage etc. The fee shouldn't really be that hard to understand.

The tip is for the driver himself.

Even if we did away with tipping, as the discussion has moved in that direction, the delivery fee might still exist because of the added cost it represents to the restaurant vs. walk-in business.

This is why every pizza chain now advertises cheap "walk-in specials" now too.

This has already been covered. It costs the pizza place more to deliver you a pizza than it does if you go pick it up. This includes the base wage for the driver, insurance, vehicle/mileage etc. The fee shouldn't really be that hard to understand.

Even if we did away with tipping, as the discussion has moved in that direction, the delivery fee might still exist because of the added cost it represents to the restaurant vs. walk-in business.

How is that different from any other service a company provides that they have an employee for?  If they're including the cost of that service in the fee then why am I also expected to tip?

Pizza was $20.  They charged me a $4 delivery fee.  I gave the guy an additional $2.  He rolled his eyes at me.  Sorry your life sucks, pal. 

I still don't see how any of that applies to NYC delivery guys on bicycles... But I know the metropolitan markets might be a different niche.

Except we don't live in other countries, so the servers and delivery drivers in the good old USA are working under the conditions of our country.

Expecting a server to make less money because other countries do it better or differently just makes no sense to me. 

Firstly, delivery fees are a relatively new thing.  They didn't exist 15 years ago.  Pizza places wouldn't be what they are if they didn't deliver.  It's a cost of doing business that they're now attempting to pass on to the customer, no different than the crummy #####bags that charge extra if you pay with a credit card.

Secondly, it doesn't really cost them that much more to deliver because they are not paying that driver a fair wage, instead expecting the person ordering to pay the driver via tip.  That is double dipping.

These clowns are charging $5 delivery fees for a single order which is probably more than they pay the driver for an entire hour.  So a driver makes 5 deliveries in an hour, the pizza place racks up $25 in delivery fees while paying the driver like $2.50 for that hour.  It's just another way to screw over the customer to maximize profits.  A nice racket they have going on for sure.

How is that different from any other service a company provides that they have an employee for?  If they're including the cost of that service in the fee then why am I also expected to tip? 
How is it different than paying for toppings on a pizza? There's a cost to putting pepperoni and bacon on your pizza, so you pay more for it than you do for the cheese pizza. Delivery is the same thing. 

How is it different than paying for toppings on a pizza? There's a cost to putting pepperoni and bacon on your pizza, so you pay more for it than you do for the cheese pizza. Delivery is the same thing. 
There's a service fee for putting toppings on your pizza? 

Users who are viewing this thread