What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we have a discussion about "Old Town Road?" (1 Viewer)

Never heard it. Will actively avoid. Won't criticize, though, if I don't listen. That sounds like a fair deal. 

Never heard it. Will actively avoid. Won't criticize, though, if I don't listen. That sounds like a fair deal. 
You must not watch much tv because it’s all over the place.  It was prominent at the NFL draft, Kentucky Derby and all the promotions and a bunch of other comercial/promotional things.  It’s cringeworthly.

You must not watch much tv because it’s all over the place.  It was prominent at the NFL draft, Kentucky Derby and all the promotions and a bunch of other comercial/promotional things.  It’s cringeworthly.
I figured on the bolded. I'd put it at above a 50-50 chance I've heard it. I did watch the NFL draft and didn't recognize it. I did not watch the Kentucky Derby, but I do frequently watch NBCSN for the hockey playoffs. I'm sure I've caught it and haven't noticed it, which seems to be the important thing right now (at least as far as I'm concerned). To get away from it might be nigh impossible, though, and I've resigned myself to that potential problem.   

I'm honestly not a fan of the new version with Billy Ray. I like the original. My only complaint is that I wish it was a full song. Original is just 2 minutes long.

My kids seem to like it - catchy and I had no clue the name of it.  Not my cup of tea but I doubt they care that a old, out of shape white dude isn’t a fan.

I don't personally think I'm out of any demographic targeted except for ***bad new country/bad Soundcloud rap***. I'm very much in the demographic for hip hop and country, but not the hyper-produced new country and trap beat mumblecore or overground autotune garbage. 

I just get the sinking feeling I never want to hear it because it likely sucks and will be time I'll never get back. 

I don't personally think I'm out of any demographic targeted except for ***bad new country/bad Soundcloud rap***. I'm very much in the demographic for hip hop and country, but not the hyper-produced new country and trap beat mumblecore or overground autotune garbage. 

I just get the sinking feeling I never want to hear it because it likely sucks and will be time I'll never get back. 
I don’t know what you would think of it but it has a old school punk rock- 90s rap quality to it because of its origin and its fight against the gate keepers of country who fought against it only to have one of their own embrace it and throw it back in their faces. Socially, it had one of the coolest impacts I’ve seen. Social media had a blast with it. Lots of black people buying cowboy gear and having fun with how silly it is do because of one song. Also Billy Ray became a legend within the black community by being himself while his daughter tried way too hard to fit in within the hiphop community and always failed. There’s a lot of interesting angles to the song and it’s development.

I don’t know what you would think of it but it has a old school punk rock- 90s rap quality to it because of its origin and its fight against the gate keepers of country who fought against it only to have one of their own embrace it and throw it back in their faces. Socially, it had one of the coolest impacts I’ve seen. Social media had a blast with it. Lots of black people buying cowboy gear and having fun with how silly it is do because of one song. Also Billy Ray became a legend within the black community by being himself while his daughter tried way too hard to fit in within the hiphop community and always failed. There’s a lot of interesting angles to the song and it’s development.
Now I'll listen. I've now wasted time in this thread, might as well give it a listen. 

Objectively terrible but I also love it.
Right, what’s wrong with just having fun and being a bit silly? It’s not Verdi’s Requiem but who cares? Sometimes things can just be stupid fun.

And I’m the first to admit I need to also apply that line of thought to some of my views on movies/TV. 

That was so inoffensive I don't know what to say. I'd never choose to listen to it. I think Camp Lo tried black cowboy in 2002 and got called homosexual, with all the usual aspersions that come from that. We've come a long way, baby.
Yes we have. Nothing offensive at all about it until Billboard ordered it removed from country chart because it wasn’t country enough. That’s when it Billy Ray got pissed and called up Lil Nas to do a remix to say, “hey is it country enough for you now?” Immediately went to the top of every damn chart everywhere

Yes we have. Nothing offensive at all about it until Billboard ordered it removed from country chart because it wasn’t country enough. That’s when it Billy Ray got pissed and called up Lil Nas to do a remix to say, “hey is it country enough for you now?” Immediately went to the top of every damn chart everywhere
Billboard and the Recording Academy are the silliest of desiccated institutions.

Is this real?  If so that's pretty awesome

Users who are viewing this thread