What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dawson Knox, BUF (1 Viewer)

Anybody starting him tomorrow? Thinking about rolling him out over Hockenson. 
I am over Burton. Kittle is my other TE. Clearly an easier decision for me than you. I'm not sure what I'd do in your shoes. 

I am excited to have Knox on my dynasty squad though. Was able to pick him up for free after our rookie draft thanks to this thread. 👍

Is Buffalo’s offensive scheme one that usually utilizes the TE?
Honestly, I don't think so.

Knox appears to be already a borderline-elite run-blocking TE, but looks very raw catching the ball.  The Bills clearly think highly of him, they traded up to get him, but I really wouldn't expect a ton of consistency from him, at least this year.  He'll play quite a bit, but from a fantasy standpoint I'd expect him to be a very hit-or-miss player for the remainder of the season.

No I don’t think it’s silly to consider benching a rookie tight end who has 2 catches for 8 yards in the past two weeks combined. Can’t afford another donut. 
Yeah, as someone who went out on a limb and grabbed the rookie, I gotta say that it's been tough watching the donuts accumulate. But in the lineup he stays!

If Knox doesnt catch a rare TD last week is this thread even on page 1?
If we eliminate Game One of this year, which is pretty on pace with all other TE1s vs. Arizona, is Hock even close to a surefire starter? 

Can't undo the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Knox doesnt catch a rare TD last week is this thread even on page 1?
He has as many touchdowns as Hock. I don’t get your point here. Tight end is a wasteland and I’m looking for some upside. I’m in a deep league where the pickings are slim (I drafted Hunter Henry). It’s this guy, Hock, or 3-30 guys like Vernon Davis or Tyler Higbee. 

He has as many touchdowns as Hock. I don’t get your point here. Tight end is a wasteland and I’m looking for some upside. I’m in a deep league where the pickings are slim (I drafted Hunter Henry). It’s this guy, Hock, or 3-30 guys like Vernon Davis or Tyler Higbee. 
Hockenson has 6 more targets on the year than Knox and has a much more favorable matchup. Knox only plays about 50% of the offebsive snaps. 

Good luck with yoir decusion

Being a major piece in a gameplan is different than catching a random TD
I'm not saying it was fluky; I'm saying it's what the league-average TE has done to Arizona in terms of fantasy scoring so far. Actually, he did less than that. And he hasn't been close to league average the other weeks.

Knox got four targets last week and crushed some poor people from CIncinnati on his RAC. Thanks to this thread, I just picked him up off of the wire b/c I'm short with only Hock at TE. Had to cut a guy I like to do it, but only so many bench spots. 

You think they won't be playing from behind or deploying him with that receiver core vs. New England?

And I wouldn't urge people to go out and pick this guy up. My FAAB is limited as I decided to spend early this year. I can't have him blow up in New England and go through the bidding process. My own mis- or good management has caused me to make a preemptive pick up. 

I'm still starting T.J. Hockenson this week, as KC sees 13 targets against TEs per game this year, and TEs led the league in scoring against them last year.

I'm not saying it was fluky; I'm saying it's what the league-average TE has done to Arizona in terms of fantasy scoring so far. Actually, he did less than that. And he hasn't been close to league average the other weeks.

Knox got four targets last week and crushed some poor people from CIncinnati on his RAC. Thanks to this thread, I just picked him up off of the wire b/c I'm short with only Hock at TE. Had to cut a guy I like to do it, but only so many bench spots. 

You think they won't be playing from behind or deploying him with that receiver core vs. New England?
i am not saying knox isnt good. im saying hock is a better option this week 

Hockenson has 6 more targets on the year than Knox and has a much more favorable matchup. Knox only plays about 50% of the offebsive snaps. 

Good luck with yoir decusion
I hear ya, and I’m probably going to hold my nose and stick with Hockenson for one more week. Here’s to hoping this lives up to a shootout. 

Dawson Knox caught 3-of-3 targets for 58 yards in the Bills' Week 4 loss to the Patriots.

Knox has now gone at least 3/58 in back-to-back games. That's enough to put him on the TE2 radar at an absolutely desolate position. Knox's usage still comes with a zero-point floor.

Sep 29, 2019, 7:02 PM ET

Dawson Knox, a potential start at the slim pickins TE spot? 
Tyler Kroft is apparently healthy (at least for now), and that's inevitably going to cut into Knox's production.  I don't know whether Kroft will start over Knox, but at a minimum it's one more guy that Knox has to compete with for catches.

Dawson Knox, a potential start at the slim pickins TE spot? 

Tyler Kroft is apparently healthy (at least for now), and that's inevitably going to cut into Knox's production.  I don't know whether Kroft will start over Knox, but at a minimum it's one more guy that Knox has to compete with for catches.
I read somewhere that Buffalo is happy with knox and once Kroft is healthy he could be a trade prospect? Anyway something to monitor as BUF has a great match up on Sunday against MIA. FitzMagic can only pull so many rabbits out of a hat. BUF 31 - MIA 17.

MIA is listed as a bad MU for TE and a great MU for RB. I have to think the Bills come out of the bye week with a game plan that tries to take advantage of the poor rush D. With Bills DST looking so good, I can't imagine we see lots of passing from the Bills O. A little luck with a play-action pass.... otherwise, I think his zero point floor is too big a concern to start unless really desperate.

I think the Bills will run plenty of 2 TE sets (they already have been). Knox may see a small dip, but I think it’s Lee Smith and Sweeney who will see big drops in playing time.

ETA: If he keeps dropping the ball though, that would definitely be a trigger for reduced playing time.

MIA is listed as a bad MU for TE and a great MU for RB. I have to think the Bills come out of the bye week with a game plan that tries to take advantage of the poor rush D. With Bills DST looking so good, I can't imagine we see lots of passing from the Bills O. 
Josh Allen owners just collectively gasped

Dawson Knox caught 4-of-6 targets for 55 yards in the Bills' Week 10 loss to the Browns.

It was Knox's biggest game in six weeks, though he also committed another drop. Even with the soft Dolphins on tap for Week 11, Knox's TE2 appeal is almost nonexistent.

Honestly, thought he'd be credited with 2 drops.  Really hoping the hands will come with time, because he's a monster when he has the ball.

Dawson Knox (knee) resumed practicing Friday.

It puts him on track to suit up Sunday against Miami. The rookie makes for a risky streamer, even in a favorable matchup.

SOURCE: Sal Capaccio on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 11:33 AM ET

Dawson Knox tallied two catches for 32 yards and a touchdown on three targets Sunday in the Bills’ Week 11 victory over the Dolphins.

Knox's 23-yard touchdown in the second quarter snapped a six-game scoreless drought for the rookie. It was probably the easiest touchdown he'll ever score as the Dolphins dialed up an all-out blitz, essentially leaving Knox by his lonesome. Knox has been one of the more productive rookies at a sparse fantasy position, ranking third among first-year tight ends with 279 receiving yards. He'll be on the road at Denver in Week 12.

Nov 17, 2019, 5:58 PM ET

Bills OC Brian Daboll has been "impressed" with second-year TE Dawson Knox at training camp.

"Dawson has done a really good job," Daboll said. “He's a young player still. Hopefully we get more out of him this year." Knox flashed in 11 starts as a rookie, going over 50 yards and a touchdown in two of the first four games before fading in the second half. He played over 60 percent of snaps. Knox had the highest drop percentage (24.3%) among tight ends, but the Bills like his big play upside. He’ll be asked to do less blocking this year with the return of Tyler Kroft.

SOURCE: buffalobills.com

Aug 15, 2020, 10:36 AM ET

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia reports second-year pro Dawson Knox has "clearly improved" as a blocker. 

Buscaglia reports blocking and ball security are the two areas where the Bills want Knox to improve. Improved blocking would mean more snaps, which means more targets. Of course, Tyler Kroft's presence means Knox might not be called on as often to block. Talented second-year third-rounder Knox has gotten lost in the shuffle amongst this year's deep tight end group. Even with improved blocking, Knox probably won't see enough looks in the Bills' run-heavy offense to knock down the every-week TE2 door.  

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 18, 2020, 5:36 PM ET

Bills TE Dawson Knox entered the league's concussion protocol.

Knox had totaled six targets through two games before taking a hard hit along the sideline from Dolphins LB Kyle Van Noy. Knox's absence would logically help Gabriel Davis get on the field more in 10 personnel for Buffalo's salivating Week 3 matchup against the Rams. Knox himself is a thin option best reserved for deeper leagues if cleared ahead of Sunday.

SOURCE: Sal Capaccio on Twitter

Sep 21, 2020, 4:18 PM ET

I love Knox’s potential but he had yet another drop yesterday, fumbled away the one he caught, and then got concussed. No reason for the Bills to keep giving him playing time if he’s going to continue that pattern, especially with Gabriel Davis playing so well that 4 WR sets should become a lot more common.

I love Knox’s potential but he had yet another drop yesterday, fumbled away the one he caught, and then got concussed. No reason for the Bills to keep giving him playing time if he’s going to continue that pattern, especially with Gabriel Davis playing so well that 4 WR sets should become a lot more common.
Another example of why TEs are so risky for dynasty leagues.  Sometimes it takes several years to materialize and sometimes it doesn't at all.

Another example of why TEs are so risky for dynasty leagues.  Sometimes it takes several years to materialize and sometimes it doesn't at all.
Yes. I’ve been holding this guy for a while now in 2 leagues because I liked how he looked. The last couple of waiver moves I’ve made he was almost the drop. Next time he probably will be.

I'm forgetting one of his targets from this weekend, but officially he has not been credited with a drop yet this year.

In looking that up, I noticed that surprisingly the Bills are tied for 4th with 5 drops through 2 games. 2 or 3 fewer and the offensive numbers would look even better.

Grigs Allmoon said:
I'm forgetting one of his targets from this weekend, but officially he has not been credited with a drop yet this year.

In looking that up, I noticed that surprisingly the Bills are tied for 4th with 5 drops through 2 games. 2 or 3 fewer and the offensive numbers would look even better.
Honestly I missed it. I am taking Sal Capaccio’s word for it but it sounds like some could credit the defense rather than call it a drop.

Knox shows way too much potential to give up on him on now -- TEs often take a while to figure it out in the pros.  Let's talk if there's no improvement in year three.

Honestly I missed it. I am taking Sal Capaccio’s word for it but it sounds like some could credit the defense rather than call it a drop.
Knox had both hands on the ball, but the defender had a hand in the triangle formed by Knox's arms, the ball, and Knox's chest.  The defender was in an excellent position to strip the ball for an incompletion or fumble.  Probably nobody was making that particular catch, and if Knox didn't have a history of dropped passes we wouldn't say anything about it.  But he does, as you know.

Users who are viewing this thread