What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jace Sternberger, WAS (1 Viewer)

An AFC TE coach tells NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein that Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger is capable of catching 50-to-60 passes a year.

"You wish he was a little bit faster but he makes up for it with his routes," the coach tells Zierlein. "You feed him, get him stronger and you'll have an NFL starter who gets you 50 to 60 catches a year." Sternberger (6'4/251) is called a "[T]alented route-runner with no wasted steps" by Zierlein, and he also notes his above-average hands and vision after he makes the catch. He does have some concerns about Sternberger's run blocking, and that he can be thrown off his timing when pressed. " His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested," writes Zierlein. "He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 2, 2019, 8:34 PM ET

It’s kind of amazing to me that no one has posted in this thread. Good size/speed/hands, good QB throwing him the ball, available late 2nd/early 3rd, pretty clear path to playong time, what’s not to like? 
A hype train pushing him higher than the 3rd round, where I got him yesterday on a TE needy team.

I'm thinking Faust just got him too and that's why he posted this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
He went at the 2/3 turn in both my drafts so far, which seemed about right given the remaining players on the board 

It’s kind of amazing to me that no one has posted in this thread. Good size/speed/hands, good QB throwing him the ball, available late 2nd/early 3rd, pretty clear path to playong time, what’s not to like? 
It surprises me when people vault the GB TE up in their rankings, when GB has never seemed to use their TE. It's a different day in the coaching office, but Rodgers hasnt really depended on his TE his entire career. 

It's hard to get excited for him unless you're banking on this new offense getting the TE more involved, and Rodgers changing his stripes and looking in that direction 

FTR: I am optimistic about the new offense. It's just hard to read the outlook for Jace because we havent seen Rodgers in this offense yet

Best value no one's talking about, but they sure are drafting him.  I only got him in one of four, each one he went at the top of his ADP tier - 32, 33, 36, 41.  I only had one pick in that range and all my mid-20's had guys I liked better (JJAW 24, Singletary 24 and 26).  I tried hard to get back into the early 30's, even offering 2020 2nd's, but no one was biting.  Lots of value in that range of the draft.

It surprises me when people vault the GB TE up in their rankings, when GB has never seemed to use their TE. It's a different day in the coaching office, but Rodgers hasnt really depended on his TE his entire career. 

It's hard to get excited for him unless you're banking on this new offense getting the TE more involved, and Rodgers changing his stripes and looking in that direction 

FTR: I am optimistic about the new offense. It's just hard to read the outlook for Jace because we havent seen Rodgers in this offense yet
New system of course to also factor in but last year Green Bay was 8th the the NFL in pass targets to TE's and that's with a TE who looked like a shell of himself and can barely run any longer.

I haven’t drafted him anywhere because I’ve taken hockenson in a couple drafts or have kelce. He has:

clear path to targets

elite qb

pass first offense

weak wr depth chart

questionable rb (in the pass game)

evan engram type (receiver first but can play slot)

New system of course to also factor in but last year Green Bay was 8th the the NFL in pass targets to TE's and that's with a TE who looked like a shell of himself and can barely run any longer.
thanks. this changes my perspective a little. looking forward to a non-vanilla offense this year

thanks. this changes my perspective a little. looking forward to a non-vanilla offense this year
I do agree with the point I think you were initially making that people have tended to overrate Green Bay TE's during the Rodgers era. One of the reasons I think this might be different is the talent and trust level Rodgers has with this WR group is not what he had with those groups as a whole in past years, at least not yet. I obviously don't mean Adams but the WR group as a whole.

I do agree with the point I think you were initially making that people have tended to overrate Green Bay TE's during the Rodgers era. One of the reasons I think this might be different is the talent and trust level Rodgers has with this WR group is not what he had with those groups as a whole in past years, at least not yet. I obviously don't mean Adams but the WR group as a whole.
I agree. This year will be interesting. I dont own him at all, but I did have him as a target. I passed completely after taking Hock, and had targeted UDFA such as Oliver, Warring and Knox. 

Just took him at pick 44 in a 16 team IDP rookie draft (PPR - TE premium, start 0-3 TE)

Wasn't necessarily targeting him but saw he was out there and traded up to get him. Looking forward to what he can do.

TE get 1.25 PPR and .15/10 yards receiving

Interested to see how he fares in training camp and preseason - he seems to be a bit of a forgotten guy after some initial post-draft hype due to landing spot. 

Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler 

A lot will be made of the hit Sternberger took today, but what shouldn’t be lost is that prior to being sidelined (he did end up returning) he was having by far his best practice of camp.

Bill Huber @BillHuberSI

Gutekunst on Sternberger: "Absolutely" can contribute this year after being set back with concussion. Expects he'll have to rely on him at some point this season.

Packers placed TE Jace Sternberger on injured reserve with a left ankle injury.

The No. 75 overall pick will be eligible for return in the second half of the season. Sternberger was banged up for most of the summer, making just one preseason appearance. Even if Jimmy Graham's game further craters, rookie Sternberger won't make a fantasy impact if he's designated to return. He is too far behind in his development.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Sep 3, 2019, 5:11 PM ET

Packers designated TE Jace Sternberger (ankle) to return from injured reserve.

The No. 75 overall pick will now have two weeks to practice before he can join the active roster. Coach Matt LaFleur recently stated Jimmy Graham wouldn't have his role reduced for ineffectiveness of late, but there will still undoubtedly be a changing of the guard if the third-round rookie can get up to speed post-injury. Robert Tonyan and Mercedes Lewis will backup Graham until then.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:06 PM ET

Nice. Between him and Isabella, I haven’t exactly had much production out of 2 of my 3 high rookie picks. Still, it’s hard to imagine him having much of an effect this fantasy year, given his position and  with such a large period of time out to start the season

Designated to return from IR. 

Interesting...  Not sure if GB had other options to designate? 

I know Jimmy Graham kind of looks... washed? He looks like a bad-blocking Witten out there.  He probably can't rip the seam lke he once did. 

Packers activated TE Jace Sternberger (ankle) from injured reserve.

Sternberger is a pass-catching tight end with some upside after averaging 17.3 yards per reception at Texas A&M last season. The No. 75 overall pick will have a chance at becoming the Packers' future starter in the post-Jimmy Graham era. Sternberger isn't likely to have a major role right away after so much missed time.

SOURCE: Packers on Twitter

Nov 2, 2019, 4:17 PM ET

I'm guessing it's just rookie TE growing pains. 

Jimmy Graham is horribly washed though.  You would think Sternberger could at least get some snaps. 

Starnberger I picked up mid season in all my leagues not expecting much.  I ended up dropping him in all leagues.  Didn't see much.  I understand TE take some development I just didnt think it would be this slow.

I'm guessing it's just rookie TE growing pains. 

Jimmy Graham is horribly washed though.  You would think Sternberger could at least get some snaps. 
He’s been active a couple of game’s recently.  Using him as a blocker predominately at this point.  He’s behind Tonyan right now too.  
There’s nothing to see here in redraft.  As a dynasty prospect, he’s got skills and the position is there for the taking in 2020.  

Starnberger I picked up mid season in all my leagues not expecting much.  I ended up dropping him in all leagues.  Didn't see much.  I understand TE take some development I just didnt think it would be this slow.
My expectation is that all rookie TE require 1 redshirt year - maybe more, but at least 1. 

I usually don't draft them, just buy going into the following season instead. 

Jace Sternberger caught 2-of-2 targets for 13 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the 49ers.

Activated from injured reserve in Week 9, Sternberger caught zero regular season passes but emerged for three postseason grabs. His snaps increased down the stretch. Going on 24, Sternberger remains an intriguing catch-first tight end who will be a candidate for a much bigger role in 2020. Jimmy Graham is a possible, if not likely, cap casualty.

Jan 19, 2020, 11:12 PM ET

Picked him up on the cheap half way through the year. I’m pumped to see what transpires next year. 

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said TE Jace Sternberger "can be a mismatch for us."

Gutekunst also said Sternberger "has some dynamic ability." That ability wasn't showcased in his rookie season thanks to injuries and Jimmy Graham's presence, but it's possible that both of those aren't deterrents in 2020. Graham is likely a cap casualty, which would vault Sternberger into the starting mix as a receiving threat. Sternberger is a potential deep sleeper for fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports

Feb 21, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

ESPN's Rob Demovsky expects Jace Sternberger to "get his shot" to be the No. 1 tight end.

This comes after GM Brian Gutekunst talked up Sternberger. With Jimmy Graham gone, Sternberger is the driver seat to start after injuries limited him to 60 snaps as a rookie. Sternberger's ceiling is high as Graham's potential replacement — a role that led to 72 targets last year. He'll compete with Marcedes Lewis and Robert Tonyan in training camp, though it wouldn't be surprising if the Packers add a draft pick to the mix.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 12, 2020, 9:33 AM ET

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman confirms second-year pro Jace Sternberger is the favorite to replace Jimmy Graham as the Packers' pass-catching tight end. 

You don't have to be a reporter or "expert" to come to this conclusion, but it is confirmation that the Packers are happy with where the second-year third-rounder is at after an ankle injury derailed his rookie campaign. Sternberger caught zero regular season passes before snagging three balls in the postseason. A Dallas Clark-type talent entering the league, Sternberger will be old for a second-year pro (24), especially one who made just eight appearances as a rookie. Nevertheless, the Packers' dearth of reliable pass-catching options means Sternberger could carve out a fantasy-relevant role. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 12, 2020, 4:11 PM ET

The Athletic: Jace Sternberger 'figures to be Green Bay's primary receiving tight end in 2020'

Excerpt:

Green Bay Packers tight end Jace Sternberger is expected to play an increased role in his second season after logging 60 offensive snaps in 2019. 

WHAT IT MEANS:

Sternberger is currently considered the Packers' primary candidate to replace Jimmy Graham after the veteran tight end signed a deal with the Chicago Bears. "That’s one thing that we’ve all discussed, that I will have the opportunity for my role to be bigger," said Sternberger when asked about this season's expectation. "It’s all how I handle it and what I can prove. It goes back to me and this opportunity. I’m just really excited about it, and I’m just definitely ready for it." 

Expect Sternberger to be utilized as a secondary pass catcher behind alpha receiver Davante Adams. In eight career games including last postseason, the former third round pick recorded 3 receptions for 15 yards and one touchdown. 

Source: Matt Schneidman

Alright with Funchess down I am officially interested

Not the biggest fan of Rodgers and Lafleur, but a significant vacated target share+what figures to be a slight bump in passing volume from the team regressing (not to mention no number 2 WR) means there is opportunity

I still love this kid.  Underdog playmaker.
IDK about underdog.

Decent chance he is the Packers 2nd leading receiver next year depending on how Lazard pans out

50-55 receptions, 650-750 yards with 5 TDs (lowish TE1 in 12 teamers) wouldn't shock anyone I don't think

Depends how much they use him for blocking though

IDK about underdog.

Decent chance he is the Packers 2nd leading receiver next year depending on how Lazard pans out

50-55 receptions, 650-750 yards with 5 TDs (mid to low TE1) wouldn't shock anyone I don't think

Depends how much they use him for blocking though
Just referencing his coming up through college.  Kid is nails.

JACE STERNBERGER TE, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Packers placed TE Jace Sternberger on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Sternberger was one of 15 new players to move to the reserve/COVID-19 list on Thursday's transaction wire. The impact of the virus varies between hosts, but any long-term effects would obviously be a detriment for the second-year tight end as he was only available for 60 offensive snaps in his rookie year. Allen Lazard remains the likeliest candidate to takeover as the Packers' No. 2 option after Devin Funchess opted out of the season.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Jul 30, 2020, 4:44 PM ET

Hopefully he's back soon.  I have high hopes for Sternberger.  This is a set back, but hopefully just a blip.   

Users who are viewing this thread