What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oil Change Blues (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
I try to change my oil about every 4000 miles, I do buy it's important. So I pull in an oil change place. After turning my truck over to them I head into the waiting area and some coffee.

Guy comes in to show me the stick which reads full.  A little while later I pay and head out to where a kid will delivery my truck.

kid....what was that you were listening to?

Zeno....some old blues, that was Kokomo Arnold from the 30's.

kid.....that was cool, never  heard anything like that before.

Zeno....it's very cool, you have a computer?

kid.....sure do.

Zeno....Google.....prewar blues. 

kid....I will, hey thanks.

Kokomo Arnold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B944jMtu6Qc

Last edited by a moderator:
You get out of the car for an oil change? Everywhere hear you stay in the car- it takes like 10 minutes

You get out of the car for an oil change? Everywhere hear you stay in the car- it takes like 10 minutes
Some lube centers are trying to create a customer experience. The hope is that being out of your vehicle and occupied you are more likely to agree to the upselling for fuel treatments, flushes, air filters, car wash packages, etc. 

Interesting - around here they don’t allow you in that area and say it’s a security issue.  Never stayed in my car when getting an oil change and I’m 45.

Some lube centers are trying to create a customer experience. The hope is that being out of your vehicle and occupied you are more likely to agree to the upselling for fuel treatments, flushes, air filters, car wash packages, etc. 
Yeah I have noticed that the last few times they gave me a bottle of water and offered me a free coffee but it was all in the context of staying in my vehicle.

Always left/leave the vehicle during an oil change. Never heard of staying inside.
Funny- I've never gotten out or even been offered to get out. You pull into the garage, they have you pop the hood and they go about their work while you sit there. You pay the bill, check the lights, etc. while they work and you pull away 10 mins later.

Funny- I've never gotten out or even been offered to get out. You pull into the garage, they have you pop the hood and they go about their work while you sit there. You pay the bill, check the lights, etc. while they work and you pull away 10 mins later.
Same here at places like Jiffy Lube or Valvoline Oil places. If you go to a gas station or repair shop you wouldn't stay inside though.

You don't get out of the car for an oil change???

Who wants to sit there in a car while a waiting room with some coffee is far better.

I had a feeling the actual oil change would get the attention. The thing was a kid being turned on to something new to him, which is pretty cool.

I can see it now in 4000 miles.

kid....hey man, hey I did Google prewar war, love that stuff, all that Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Bessie Smith, Leroy Carr stuff is great.  My friends loving it also. So who is your favorite?

Zeno....that can't be done, simply to much diversity in that music.  We have piano blues, harmonica, the jug bands,  the guitar players, then there are the regions which is huge in them old blues.  Have you checked out Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy yet?

kid....let me grab a pencil,  ok so....Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy, got it.  Hey thanks man.

Zeno....no problem my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peopole I did assume it was pretty obvious the music/kid was the story here not a boring oil change.  Who talks oil changes?

So back to the oil change...

I'm in the camp where it's never even been an option to sit in the car the whole time, but I've also never had the mechanic bring the dipstick into the waiting room to show me the level. Is it just me or is that kind of strange/pointless?

Why do you think leaving your car unattended for hours is more trustworthy than being able to watch the alleged service being performed the whole time?
The drive thru place near me even has camera and screen set up so you can watch the guy under the car while you sit in your car.

My mechanic is about 3 blocks away, so I leave it with them and they call me when it's done. 

I drop my car off in the morning and pick it up after work.  I don't trust the big franchise places.
Same. I’m a little surprised so many here go to Jiffy Lube type places. Where their “mechanics” are 16 year olds freshly fired from their McDonalds fry cook position. I go to a trusted auto shop where they will also check the rest of the vehicle for issues.

So back to the oil change...

I'm in the camp where it's never even been an option to sit in the car the whole time, but I've also never had the mechanic bring the dipstick into the waiting room to show me the level. Is it just me or is that kind of strange/pointless?
They always show me the dipstick when they first pull it to show the existing oil level and quality and then at the end to verify they filled it with clean oil. I've never had any other experience. 

My mechanic is about 3 blocks away, so I leave it with them and they call me when it's done. 
For what? It takes 10 minutes. 

I had a feeling the actual oil change would get the attention. The thing was a kid being turned on to something new to him, which is pretty cool.

I can see it now in 4000 miles.

kid....hey man, hey I did Google prewar war, love that stuff, all that Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Bessie Smith, Leroy Carr stuff is great.  My friends loving it also. So who is your favorite?

Zeno....that can't be done, simply to much diversity in that music.  We have piano blues, harmonica, the jug bands,  the guitar players, then there are the regions which is huge in them old blues.  Have you checked out Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy yet?

kid....let me grab a pencil,  ok so....Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy, got it.  Hey thanks man.

Zeno....no problem my friend.
:lmao:   :lmao:  What in the actual #### are you smoking this morning??

For what? It takes 10 minutes. 
They're a busy mechanic. I usually tell them no rush and they'll call me an hour or two later. They do ask if I want to wait and I'm sure they'll get to it quicker but it's not a big deal. I go home and have breakfast.

They're a busy mechanic. I usually tell them no rush and they'll call me an hour or two later. They do ask if I want to wait and I'm sure they'll get to it quicker but it's not a big deal. I go home and have breakfast.
Seems like the difference here is maybe people who go to a mechanic vs people who go to a place that just does oil change? 

Users who are viewing this thread