What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High School Sports Awards on Father's Day (1 Viewer)

toshiba

Footballguy
My daughter's high school has planned their yearly sports awards on Father's Day.  My daughter will be receiving an award.  Am I wrong to be annoyed that they schedule this on Father's Day?  This is an optional event, but I feel like it puts parents in an awkward position who normally have family events on days like this.

I was unaware that there were family events on Father’s Day other than maybe a special breakfast/dinner and card. 

I don't make a big deal out of fathers day, so this wouldn't bother me.

For I don't know how many years, we had baseball tournament on mothers day.  As a matter of fact, my favorite picture of my wife and our boys is of the three of them sitting in the restaurant we stopped at on the way back.  All three of them are sun/wind burned.  It's kinda funny, but a perfect reminder of that day and those times.  

:shrug:  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

For I don't know how many years, we had baseball tournament on mothers day.  As a matter of fact, my favorite picture of my wife and our boys is of the three of them sitting in the restaurant we stopped at on the way back.  All three of them are sun/wind burned.  It's kinda funny, but a perfect reminder of that day and those times.  

I used to coach my son's baseball team a few years back with another guy.  He would never want to schedule tournaments for Mother's Day or Father's Day weekends.  I used to argue with him over it.  There is nothing else I would rather be doing on a Father's Day than being out on the ball field with my son.  But, I get it.  Not everyone thinks that way, and some like to make other family plans for those days.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
You would still be doing a fatherly thing...
Of course, we will be going, as I should...

Hopefully she doesn't graduate during your birthday week.
Actually she does.  June 22 is graduation, just a few days after my birthday.

i think the best father day gift anyone could give me would be the chance to see my kid get an award on fathers day take that to the perspective bank bromigos 
That's great.  I usually enjoy taking my family up to my father's house (2 hours away) for our family picnic.

What kind of award ceremony is it?  Is it a banquet with dinner and what not?
No just an assembly type thing.

I was unaware that there were family events on Father’s Day other than maybe a special breakfast/dinner and card. 
Family picnic at my fathers, 2 hours from where we live.

My kid has a lacrosse tourney on fathers day.  Never would have crossed my mind as being in the way of something.
That's great, this conflicts with a family event.

Why would a woman care if the event is on Father's Day?
Probably a good wife/mother/...

I'm going to a memorial service on Father's Day.  I would rather do the award ceremony.
Yeah there are a ton of things that I would rather not do.  This sin't about not wanting to do this.

That's great to have that memory 

Last edited by a moderator:
That great, this conflicts with a family event.
I guess I never thought the majority of people made annual plans on fathers day, whoever set up the ceremony must have thought the same as me.  We aren't talking about the fourth of july here, its a random sunday in june.

My kids' school has a fundraiser kickball tournament on Father's Day.

The only drawback is not being able to spend the day with my own father, but I may be able to sneak a lunch in prior.

i think the best father day gift anyone could give me would be the chance to see my kid get an award on fathers day take that to the perspective bank bromigos 
would be the greatest gift i could hope for ... thank you for this perspective, SWCer

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I guess I never thought the majority of people made annual plans on fathers day, whoever set up the ceremony must have thought the same as me.  We aren't talking about the fourth of july here, its a random sunday in june.
yeah- the issue isn't the fathers' day thing, it's that he has another commitment (yes... associated with fathers' day).

I'm with the swcer here.

• Love
My kids' school has a fundraiser kickball tournament on Father's Day.

The only drawback is not being able to spend the day with my own father, but I may be able to sneak a lunch in prior.
invite him to the kickball tourney brohan if you think your pop wouldnt like seeing his son and his grandkids all on dads day think again that stuff matters to us older bromigos a hell of a lot take that to the bank 

yeah- the issue isn't the fathers' day thing, it's that he has another commitment (yes... associated with fathers' day).

I'm with the swcer here.
No actually it is with it being on Father's Day.  If it was just a random day I wouldn't think twice about it.  Just conflicting plans.

Pretty sure I had a HS baseball game scheduled for every Fathers Day.
I don't recall any other public school event in my school career or my child's being on Sunday.

*actually school musicals I think perform on Sundays

so what is it that is bugging you truly toshiba is it that you just do not get to do exactly what you want on what you preceive as your day or what because to me the whole point of dads day is being with your family if you are forutnate enough to have that chance and to me if you are getting worked up about how and where that happens that seems to me to me missing the point and in this instance when the thing you are going to do instead is basically another way of saying hey look my kid is getting an award good job dad i dont get it that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigo

My kid has a lacrosse tourney on fathers day.  Never would have crossed my mind as being in the way of something.
Yeah, seemed like we were at a travel softball tournament somewhere every year on Father's day for about 5 years running.

Never thought twice about it

so what is it that is bugging you truly toshiba is it that you just do not get to do exactly what you want on what you preceive as your day or what because to me the whole point of dads day is being with your family if you are forutnate enough to have that chance and to me if you are getting worked up about how and where that happens that seems to me to me missing the point and in this instance when the thing you are going to do instead is basically another way of saying hey look my kid is getting an award good job dad i dont get it that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigo
No that's not it

No actually it is with it being on Father's Day.  If it was just a random day I wouldn't think twice about it.  Just conflicting plans.
just saying... fathers' day is just a day. you and the family decided to make a plan tied into it- it's not a mandate. but hopefully there's a way of working around both the awards and the picnic.

No that's not it
then what is it brohan take that to the bank 

just saying... fathers' day is just a day. you and the family decided to make a plan tied into it- it's not a mandate. but hopefully there's a way of working around both the awards and the picnic.
There's not, and of course we go to the awards ceremony.  I can understand your point,  Any "holiday" is just a random day.

No that's not it
I am not getting worked up.  I am annoyed, but that's it.  And my daughter's award is for her hard work, not mine.  I don't think I should be getting "good job dad" for her hard work.

No that's not it
I am not getting worked up.  I am annoyed, but that's it.  And my daughter's award is for her hard work, not mine.  I don't think I should be getting "good job dad" for her hard work.
well i belive that kids learn there work ethic from those around them including notably parents and even if you did nothing to that end which i find hard to believe you still clearly raised a good kid who works hard and in any event you should feel pride in that and you deserve and atta dad and im giving you one so bam there it is another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank broshiba

No that's not it
well i belive that kids learn there work ethic from those around them including notably parents and even if you did nothing to that end which i find hard to believe you still clearly raised a good kid who works hard and in any event you should feel pride in that and you deserve and atta dad and im giving you one so bam there it is another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank broshiba
I appreciate your perspective!  I do think you are right that I shouldn't get worked up. 

Thanks!

• Love
There's not, and of course we go to the awards ceremony.  I can understand your point,  Any "holiday" is just a random day.
kinda my point... but fathers' day is whatever you make of it. there's no parade or other set activity at a certain time or place that the community needs to work around like other holidays. if they scheduled the ceremony during 4th fireworks, or memorial day parade, etc... I'd agree with getting irritated.

kinda my point... but fathers' day is whatever you make of it. there's no parade or other set activity at a certain time or place that the community needs to work around like other holidays. if they scheduled the ceremony during 4th fireworks, or memorial day parade, etc... I'd agree with getting irritated.
It’s interesting though cause I look at the Fourth of July and memorial day as more community holidays than I do family holidays. I think I would be annoyed less.

My daughter's high school has planned their yearly sports awards on Father's Day.  My daughter will be receiving an award.  Am I wrong to be annoyed that they schedule this on Father's Day?  This is an optional event, but I feel like it puts parents in an awkward position who normally have family events on days like this.
you could just move it to "Selfish D### Day" and celebrate it twice as hard.  

I don't recall any K-12 events on Sundays.  Dance and travel sports - yes, but not school activities.

I’d be annoyed too. It’s a day that families make plans. The OP had a picnic planned with his dad and family. They can do this on any day. Don’t do it when families most likely have other plans.

Users who are viewing this thread