Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

High School Sports Awards on Father's Day

21 hours ago, mozzy84 said:

My kid has a lacrosse tourney on fathers day.  Never would have crossed my mind as being in the way of something.

When my son was in little league his championship game was on father's day three straight years. I couldn't have been happier, to be honest. Best present I could ever hope for.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, lowe said:

Father's Day is just another useless "holiday".

Kind of dumb to be upset.

Well there you go FFA. This guy thinks it is dumb and obviously speaks for the entire community. Case closed.

lowe, could you give me the run down on what else should be important or irrelevant to me? Want to make sure I don't decide to care about anything else that shouldn't matter to me.

• Like 1

Read the first post to my wife, and we agreed that it was odd to have on Sundays in general, but even more odd to be on Father's Day.

I get to drop two of my three kids off that day at Space Camp. We'll probably find a nice place to have dinner that nite.

I would be annoyed.  It just seems inconsiderate/absent minded from a planning perspective.  There are well over 300 other days to do this type of thing.  Don't jam it up on Father's Day when people might have other plans with family or just want to relax.

Would this type of thing occur on Mother's Day?  My guess is no.  

• Like 1
On 5/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, mr. furley said:

interesting perspective here. particularly in light of the recent inviolable holiday that is Mother's Day. 

father's day = "just another day" :shrug:

They’re both just days made up to sell ####.  

• Like 1

If your daughter enjoys the picnics at gramps, I would explain to her how conflicted it is to give that up. Your dad won't be around forever and if you can convey this to your daughter in a meaningful way she may agree with you.

She can still get the award later whether you show up or not. Unless this is a very special and personal award (MVP, school record, etc..) its just not that important (letter, chevron, silly participation certificate etc..)

Your job is to let her know how proud you are of her accomplishments in high school athletics and how fortunate you both are to be able to spend that day together with your dads enjoying food and conversation.

My youngest daughter has had her dance recital on Fathers Day for 7 years in a row. I embraced it and look forward to it.

What better way to spend it? 

I'm sorry, I don't understand those who would rather be away from family and golf with friends, etc. on Fathers Day.

I want to spend it with my girls while they are still around and want to be with their dad!

Edited by Payne
50 minutes ago, Payne said:

My youngest daughter has had her dance recital on Fathers Day for 7 years in a row. I embraced it and look forward to it.

I'm sorry, I don't understand those who would rather be away from family and golf with friends, etc. on Fathers Day.

I want to spend it with my girls while they are still around and want to be with their dad!

I feel exactly the same, but I extend that to my father as well.

20 minutes ago, toshiba said:
1 hour ago, Payne said:

I feel exactly the same, but I extend that to my father as well.

could your dad come down to your daughters award cermony and then you take him out to to dinner that would be a pretty good day for a granddad trust me on that one take that to the bank bromigo 

Just now, SWC said:

could your dad come down to your daughters award cermony and then you take him out to to dinner that would be a pretty good day for a granddad trust me on that one take that to the bank bromigo 

No, but the solution is to go to the awards ceremony and skip the family meetup.  Obviously celebrating my daughter's accomplishment is important.  But to me it seems strange that they would select this day.  But I have come to realize, in this thread, that not as many people use this as a family day as I suspected.

Just now, toshiba said:

No, but the solution is to go to the awards ceremony and skip the family meetup.  Obviously celebrating my daughter's accomplishment is important.  But to me it seems strange that they would select this day.  But I have come to realize, in this thread, that not as many people use this as a family day as I suspected.

i am sorry that your dad cant make it down that is crummy i guess i have been at softball and basketball games through the years for kids and grandkids and i just dont find it surprising that stuff gets scheduled on dads day in fact im not surprised and havent been for probably a decade when anything gets scheduled on any day anymore in the past year ive gone to a bball tourney on thanksgiving and moms day for some little angels i like watching run around like bumblebees and i am planning on going golfing with my kids and wife on dads day in a couple of weeks we just roll with whatever gets scheduled have fun around it and not let anything get us to worked up thats our way on the path of the brohan take that to the bank 

• Thanks 1

I think the main problem is its not about being a good dad or bad dad or really any of that stuff....of course we would all support or kid....the problem is why in the world would the schedulers of this event pick this day....first it is a sunday which is usually off limits for most high school activities outside of maybe a graduation....the schedulers should know people may have other things planned that day for the father....now traveling team sports are another story.....those that sign up to participate in those sports pretty much know they will be playing in some type of tournament on mothers day and fathers day....they know that going in, so they don't really make other "fathers day" plans...why couldn't the school pick a different day or do it on the Saturday before fathers day...?

• Like 1