What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$50 + Aged Steak Disaster - Burnt to a Crisp (1 Viewer)

Klimtology

Footballguy
Followed the advice of my butcher. Sear over very high heat in a cast iron skillet. 

4 min on each side.(2 and 1/2 inch ribeye steak.)

WTF? did I do wrong?

TIA

Followed the advice of my butcher. Sear over very high heat in a cast iron skillet. 

4 min on each side.(2 and 1/2 inch ribeye steak.)

WTF? did I do wrong?

TIA
My problem with very high heat is the smoke. I have been doing three minutes a side using butter on medium heat to keep from smoking. Then finish in the oven at 400 for a few minutes depending on cut and doneness requested

It was burned to a crisp on the inside?  Or do you not like crust on your steak? 4 minutes sounds a little long but unless you've got some kind of super jet burners on your stove it shouldn't be burned to a crisp...

Pics, please. Outside and cut open.

And go buy a sous vide.

My problem with very high heat is the smoke. I have been doing three minutes a side using butter on medium heat to keep from smoking. Then finish in the oven at 400 for a few minutes depending on cut and doneness requested
Did you try putting some oil on the steak?    Virgin olive oil has a higher smoke point than butter so you'll be able to cook with a higher heat using it. 

Did you try putting some oil on the steak?    Virgin olive oil has a higher smoke point than butter so you'll be able to cook with a higher heat using it. 
I used to use oil, but have switched to butter for the past two years or so.

Caramelizes well, less likely to burn/char and my inlaws like their steaks at least medium-well, so for a Prime, I might have a steak in the oven for 15 minutes or so. 

Another cautionary tale that just because someone can butcher an animal does not Mean they are good at cooking that animal.   Exhibit A: my dad.  

Youtube gives you access to all the best chefs in the world.   No need to ask your butcher.  

4 minutes shouldn't have done that, but you might try the Reverse Sear method. It's got some nice advantages and could give you a little more control.

You just put the steak in a low oven (250ish) to slowly get the internal temp to the desired temp (or just below it), could take 20-30 minutes depending on some factors. Then sear it really quickly (about 45 seconds per side).

It's especially helpful for a really thick steak. 

Avocado oil has a higher smoke point if you wanna spray oil. My next-door neighbor and his chick do this same thing with bacon every Sunday morning. It's like their Sunday morning ritual now. They stink up the entire hallway with what I can only imagine is an entire slab of bacon resting in a cast iron skillet.

I had the best steak of my life Friday night.  It was crispy on the outside and medium on the inside.  ‘‘Twas a masterpiece.

No offense man but if you don't know how to properly cook a steak WTF are you doing buying an aged cut for?!

need2know said:

Why buy that expensive steak and not know how to cook it? Shame on you bud

In his defense, he did ask the butcher for advice.

And the butcher did give him some pretty decent advice.

And the steak did turn out exactly as it should have.

The real question is why he would use the word "disaster" after admitting that the interior of the steak was cooked just the way he likes it.

not gonna lie here... you get yourself a nice ribeye (BONE IN), for like 15-20$ and you cook it over ripping hot wood charcoal, and it'll taste as good or better than any steak you can get at any steakhouse.

Costco steaks.

Nice hot charcoal fire on the Weber. Drink some beers and throw a football around with the kids. While you are at it do some baked potatoes in foil on your secondary charcoal grill. 

Eat outside. Booyah!  :headbang:

Reverse sear with real charcoal.  Get yourself a wireless meat thermometer, smoke at 250 until internal temp is 115-120.  Pull off, and get the grill as hot as possible.  Put it back on, sear it for 60-90 seconds per side.  

If you're gonna spend $50 on dry aged meat, it's worth taking the time to cook it perfectly.  Sous-vide would also work well.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a cast iron skillet to cook a steak. I'm really puzzled how four minutes on a side could result in a burnt to a crisp steak though. It's a bit on the long side but not egregiously so.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a cast iron skillet to cook a steak. I'm really puzzled how four minutes on a side could result in a burnt to a crisp steak though. It's a bit on the long side but not egregiously so.
True... 2 1/2 inch steak... I figure it would've been a little past medium at that point, but  :shrug:

Nothing wrong with it at all. Put some oil in, a big ol piece of butter, get it ripping hot, some aromatics (I use a little garlic and thyme) and spoon the butter onto the side that’s up. Don’t sit there and **** around with it. Few minutes each side, flip it once and eat. 

Nothing wrong with it at all. Put some oil in, a big ol piece of butter, get it ripping hot, some aromatics (I use a little garlic and thyme) and spoon the butter onto the side that’s up. Don’t sit there and **** around with it. Few minutes each side, flip it once and eat. 
What’s your go-to recipe for Steak-ums?

Users who are viewing this thread