What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D.J. Moore Player Spotlight 2019 (1 Viewer)

Daniel Simpkins

Footballguy
For those who are new around here, the Player Spotlights are a main feature of our preseason on the site. They're in-depth looks at key players, including pros and cons, and our staff projections. For years, we also included the best commentary from the Shark Pool. A few years ago, activity in the Pool died down and commentary waned. But, we have confidence in a resurgence.

So here's the deal. Discuss your thoughts about the player in question. We'll pick the best comments from the bunch and use them (and give you credit) in the published articles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D.J. Moore WR- Carolina Panthers

Moore looked promising in his rookie year, snagging 55 balls for 788 yards. That was with Christian McCaffrey registering 107 catches. Is there any chance Moore forces a more even split in targets this year? Will Cam Newton's health be a factor? Can Moore produce if Will Grier sees playing time this season? How will Norv Turner's playcalling factor into target shares?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DJ Moore will get a number if targets, but I think hes a little overhyped for 2019. I'm not sure the TDs will be there in 2019. I actually like him more if Grier is throwing the ball than Cam

I think DJ Moore will get a number if targets, but I think hes a little overhyped for 2019. I'm not sure the TDs will be there in 2019. I actually like him more if Grier is throwing the ball than Cam
That's interesting, Dan. Why do you see Moore's touchdowns being decreased? 

I agree with you that Grier may be a better fit for the type of receiver that Moore is. We'll see if Grier gets an opportunity to prove that in a couple of years due to a Newton injury or the team moving on.

You'd prefer a 3rd round rookie QB as DJ's QB?  Not sure that makes much sense.  At least we know Cam is competent.  

That's interesting, Dan. Why do you see Moore's touchdowns being decreased? 
He only had 2 all season. I dont think he will decrease. I just dont see him as a TD threat that will drastically increase. At his going rate I feel like he would have to score 8 TDs, and I'm not sure I see that happening. 

You'd prefer a 3rd round rookie QB as DJ's QB?  Not sure that makes much sense.  At least we know Cam is competent.  
Grier is incredibly accurate, and I thi k that favors Moore better than Cam Newton, who is the exact opposite 

Yes, we know who Cam is, but we also know who he isnt. 

JuJu was going at a massive (and worthwhile) premium last year. Why do I mention JuJu? Well on the surface people tend to perceive that JuJu was more productive his rookie season:

JuJu

58 rec 917 yds 7 TD’s ; 0 rush; 917 total yds 7 total TD’s

DJ Moore

55 rec 788 yds 2 TD’s; 13 rush 172 yds 0 TD’s; 960 total yds 2 TD’s

Obviously completely different players. I think Cam could be a partial issue. My point is more so (and I haven’t done a best ball draft since pre NFL draft) I was pulling DJ Moore in round 6/7/8. I feel like JuJu was pulling 4th or 5th round value by the time preseason ended last year. I think DJ is an incredible value right now. 

ETA: This type of rookie production is highly predictive of dominance. Especially entering year 2.

DJ was my top WR in rookie drafts last year from early on and my interest has only increased.  That said, I've found his market value is priced appropriately and he's a difficult guy to trade for.

He's probably not going to be a big touchdown producer this year again and that's the one big knock I have on him.  Think he's destined to be a 4-6 TD per year guy which obviously keeps his ceiling lower than that of a true WR 1.  On the other hand, he contributes a lot in the rushing department and is a wizard after the catch, so maybe he can break some long ones to pad the TD total.

I've found that you'll have to pay WR1 type prices to get him though and I'm not quite ready to do that.  Rather wait and see if he starts the season slowly and try to pounce, or even buy high if he starts strong.  The upside is already priced in so don't really see his price climbing too much.

A reasonable expectation for this year seems like around 70/1,000/5 with some rushing stats on top.  So maybe around 225 PPR points, which was in the Golladay neighborhood last year I believe.  In other words, a solid WR2 year incoming.

I came in here to write a critique and see that @skinfanjon pretty much covered everything I have to say.

One aspect that keeps me away from DJ is simply the expectation of what a WR1 is on that team/in that offense.  Cam is never going to be Ben, so I am not sure the Juju/DJ comparison is relevant, and we are also hearing that Olsen is fully recovered and should be himself for at least one more and maybe 2-3 seasons. 

And then you add in that CMC is a freaking Norse god, and I don't see a high ceiling for anyone on the WR corps.  DJ will likely improve on all his numbers this season, making him a solid if unspectacular WR2 when it's all said and done.  I think I will pass on him in redraft in favor of someone with a similar floor and much higher ceiling.

In Dynasty, he's way too expensive for my tastes.  And his owners are right to demand a lot for him.

I came in here to write a critique and see that @skinfanjon pretty much covered everything I have to say.

One aspect that keeps me away from DJ is simply the expectation of what a WR1 is on that team/in that offense.  Cam is never going to be Ben, so I am not sure the Juju/DJ comparison is relevant, and we are also hearing that Olsen is fully recovered and should be himself for at least one more and maybe 2-3 seasons. 

And then you add in that CMC is a freaking Norse god, and I don't see a high ceiling for anyone on the WR corps.  DJ will likely improve on all his numbers this season, making him a solid if unspectacular WR2 when it's all said and done.  I think I will pass on him in redraft in favor of someone with a similar floor and much higher ceiling.

In Dynasty, he's way too expensive for my tastes.  And his owners are right to demand a lot for him.
Agreed and good points about the offense being a limiting factor.

DJ had a very solid rookie season despite Cam being terrible due to his shoulder. I have faith he will be healed and play much better this year. DJ will be the unquestioned leader in targets among receivers, including Olsen, whose health I have far less faith in. CMC will eat. Cam's accuracy is my biggest concern. 

I haven't been getting him in bestballs, largely because there are some players at other positions in the same ADP range that I like better. But I did acquire him in one dynasty league. It was Penny/1.12 for DJ/2.09. 

One important thing to remember about Moore is he didn’t even start getting starter reps last year until what, Week 7? I think he put together a very solid rookie season and showed flashes of being a top 10 guy eventually. He led ALL receivers last year in forced missed tackles per reception. To put what his value is to me in perspective, I wouldn’t take any WR in this years draft class over him. 

JoeJoe88 said:
One important thing to remember about Moore is he didn’t even start getting starter reps last year until what, Week 7? I think he put together a very solid rookie season and showed flashes of being a top 10 guy eventually. He led ALL receivers last year in forced missed tackles per reception. To put what his value is to me in perspective, I wouldn’t take any WR in this years draft class over him. 
Exactly and still almost had 1,000 total yards. That’s also with widely being panned as a mediocre route runner. If he has put in the work this offseason and takes a leap this is going to be a freak of football player. Think about what Tyreek Hill did, from 860 yds first season to 1242 yds second season. I get the low TD total being a valid concern (Cam being a vulture) but TD’s are highly variable.

JoeJoe88 said:
Yes very good point.

Just to add to tangfoot's comment about him being expensive in Dynasty; I believe I am in win now mode and paid 1.11 and 2020 1st round pick in my 12 team PPR league to acquire him.

Users who are viewing this thread