What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bryce Love, RB (FA) (1 Viewer)

zed2283

Footballguy
I looked and looked, and surprisingly didn't find a thread on him.  So I apologize if there's an old one out there somewhere.  He's coming off a down final college season, torn ACL, likely starting on the PUP, and buried behind Peterson, Guice, Thompson, and even Perine.  But two years ago he was one of the most dynamic players in college football and a Heisman candidate.  What sort of future do we see for Bryce Love?

Bryce Love Redskins NFL draft steal

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably as big of a Love fan as there is on this board, if he hadn't gotten hurt, I think he was arguably the best RB in this draft class, but his injury happened at the worst possible time. He also went to a poor offense, who already likely has a big time RB under contract for at least 3 more years. 

Love is likely a zero for 2019, but if you are willing to accept that going in, I still think he's a worthwhile late 2nd round rookie pick, on the chance that Guice can't stay healthy. Unless both Guice and Love can't get healthy, I think they are the 1-2 in Washington for years to come possibly starting late this season, but more likely in 2020. 

I'd be surprised if Perine made the team, and Thompson and Peterson are both likely to be gone in 2020, so Love isn't that far from being useful, but his ceiling took a hit. He's my #8 rookie RB for, but that may say more about this draft class than anything else. If he gets a shot, he may make something out of it.

I was really high on Love - wait, that looks kind of wrong - prior to his injury.  His game is speed and agility and the reports of his knee not recovering well spooked me.  I hope I’m wrong because he’s fun to watch.

Redskins RB Bryce Love (ACL) "likely won't be ready for the start of the season."

Love was said to be aiming for a mid-training camp return, but this new timeline fits the traditional rehab time of a torn ACL. With Adrian Peterson, Derrius Guice, and Chris Thompson on the roster, there's isn't any incentive to rush him back quickly. Even if he's active in 2019, touches will likely be limited.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jun 28, 2019, 9:15 AM ET

Redskins coach Jay Gruden confirmed fourth-round RB Bryce Love (ACL) will begin the year on the reserve/PUP list.

Gruden indicated that 2019 will likely serve as a red-shirt year for the rookie. The Stanford product earned All-American status as a junior while finishing runner-up to Baker Mayfield for the 2017 Heisman Trophy, but labored through an injury-plagued senior campaign that ended with a torn ACL. With Love unlikely to see the field this season, Washington's backfield responsibilities will fall in the hands of Derris Guice, Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson.

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 1:18 PM ET

NBC Sports' JP Finlay reports Redskins fourth-round RB Bryce Love (ACL) is expected to undergo another surgery on his previously injured right knee on Tuesday.

This season was always expected to be a redshirt year for Love after the All-American Stanford product labored through an injury-plagued senior campaign that ended with a torn ACL. Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan has been non-committal on Love's progress, stating he'll "just see where he’s at" following the rookie's rehabilitation process. As it stands, Derrius Guice is on injured reserve but on track to return after Washington's Week 10 bye, Adrian Peterson's (ankle) status is unknown following an undisclosed MRI and Chris Thompson is dealing with turf toe.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Oct 22, 2019, 9:34 AM ET

NFL Beat Writers Retweeted

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

14h

Sounds like this surgery, happening tomorrow, is a minor procedure aimed at speeding up the rehab from his original knee surgery. He’s in Pensacola now.

I think he's actually bordering on serious. I don't think I would even add him to a roster right now or spend a buck in an auction for him. Right now, that's a crowded backfield. Will it be in four months? I dunno. But it seems a little bit early to be jumping on the Love train. 
I know he was serious. It was humorous to hear it so straight forward. Usually there's more of a talk with it.

While I agree it's a crowded backfield and Love may still be recovering from injury, I'm not exactly sure it's a murderer's row of talent in front of him.  Guice has an injury history of his own, Peterson is 35, is Gibson a RB or WR?, and I think we know what the rest are (McKissic, Barber, & Wilson) as we've already seen them in the NFL.  So while I'm not especially excited by his prospects, I also believe you can't discount him.  To me he's an end of the bench flyer who you should get an idea of his worth within the first 6 games of the year (assuming he's healthy).

Depth chart: RB: Derrius Guice, Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson (3RB/WR), J.D. McKissic (3RB), Peyton Barber, Bryce Love (inj), Shaun Wilson

Washington RB Bryce Love has passed his physical after recovering from multiple surgeries on his injured right knee. 

Drafted by Washington in the fourth round of the 2019 draft, the 23-year-old Love is "ready to go" after having a second surgery last October to repair his torn ACL. Love had a dominant junior year at Stanford, rushing for more than 2,000 yards and piling up 19 touchdowns. He averaged 6.8 yards per carry over 49 games at Stanford. He'll enter a crowded backfield in Washington, with a finally-healthy Derrius Guice expected to handle lead-back duties for the Football Team. 

SOURCE: Washington Football Team on Twitter 

Jul 28, 2020, 10:58 AM ET

Damn shame what happened to Love.  He could have made a lot of money by coming out a year before he did.  I hope he gets over his injuries and at least is able to make a living at his craft, albeit probably just average or below.

While I agree it's a crowded backfield and Love may still be recovering from injury, I'm not exactly sure it's a murderer's row of talent in front of him.  Guice has an injury history of his own, Peterson is 35, is Gibson a RB or WR?, and I think we know what the rest are (McKissic, Barber, & Wilson) as we've already seen them in the NFL.  So while I'm not especially excited by his prospects, I also believe you can't discount him.  To me he's an end of the bench flyer who you should get an idea of his worth within the first 6 games of the year (assuming he's healthy).

Depth chart: RB: Derrius Guice, Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson (3RB/WR), J.D. McKissic (3RB), Peyton Barber, Bryce Love (inj), Shaun Wilson
Just curious though.....  In a day in age where most teams only carry 4 RB, will Washington keep 6 (assuming Love is the #6 RB)?

I think they will keep one of ADP and Barber at most. Neither have a productive future although both lend stability in the face of injuries. I don't think they would keep McKissic over Love, but might keep 5 - again, in light of ADP's age and Guice and Love's injury histories.

I think they will keep one of ADP and Barber at most. Neither have a productive future although both lend stability in the face of injuries. I don't think they would keep McKissic over Love, but might keep 5 - again, in light of ADP's age and Guice and Love's injury histories.
They could also carry Gibson designated as a WR.  Not saying they won’t use him as a RB but if they want flexibility, he could take up one of the WR spots on the team. 

If they cut Wilson and designate Gibson as a WR spot, then they keep 5 RBs... Guice, Peterson, Love, Barber, & McKissic.  

A 100% of his Jr. Stanford season version of Bryce Love has the potential to be an every-down NFL starter. It's my opinion that a healthy McKissic is every bit of Chris Thompson, and I love me some CT.  I dont think they're keeping 5, and I think Barber is there for insurance.  Throw in Gibson as a hybrid, and that's a pretty dynamic supporting cast for Guice and The Terminator.

I think it all boils down to the new coaching staff not being sure what they have.

Guice- injury prone

AP- 35

Love- ACL injury

Gibson- possible CMC 2.0??

Barber, McKissic.

TBH, there's a possibility that AP finally goes downhill and turns to #####. He's 35. Also, maybe Guice hurts himself again and is done in the NFL.  The same with Love, some people don't come back from an ACL injury.

Those are 3 very possible scenarios.

Guice, AP, and Love are all great players. But the reality is, they're all question marks going into the season.

We could get into week 3 or 4 and not have either of them starting.

Hence why they brought in Barber, McKissic and drafted Gibson.

There is also the option that the practice squads are expanded this year because of Covid and maybe even able to protect some of your squad guys? So if it's low risk can put Love on the practice squad.

Took him as a flyer in a superflex startup back in February. Not much hope he makes my week 1 roster but I guess I should follow.

Took him as a flyer in a superflex startup back in February. Not much hope he makes my week 1 roster but I guess I should follow.
I worked hard on two FFPC rosters to actually keep him back when we did cuts. One of those leagues I have Guice and other league eats up RB's and my team has never had a high pick in the rookie draft so I feel like this is the kind of shot I have to try and take, my thought process being at the time had he come out healthy I figure he's at least a second round rookie pick.

I've thought for last few months I wasted a valuable roster spot. Mentally I wrote him off. Still not exactly bursting with hope but if reports are good on him I'm sure I'll back to working hard to find a spot for him. When he got cleared I felt kind of bittersweet, should have just been good news but I dread trying to find that open spot for him.

I worked hard on two FFPC rosters to actually keep him back when we did cuts. One of those leagues I have Guice and other league eats up RB's and my team has never had a high pick in the rookie draft so I feel like this is the kind of shot I have to try and take, my thought process being at the time had he come out healthy I figure he's at least a second round rookie pick.

I've thought for last few months I wasted a valuable roster spot. Mentally I wrote him off. Still not exactly bursting with hope but if reports are good on him I'm sure I'll back to working hard to find a spot for him. When he got cleared I felt kind of bittersweet, should have just been good news but I dread trying to find that open spot for him.
If he shows any kind of a pulse I will likely try to get whatever I can for him. In SF those roster spots are even more precious. This is FFPC also.

Good stuff out lately https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-excited-for-second-year-running-back-bryce-love-a-sleeper-to-emerge-in-washington-backfield/

I think Love was a special athlete that would win any comparison and you'd just assume he could overcome anything in a game etc. Now everyone is wondering if he's the same guy after his injury.

My opinion is this- it can take weeks and several hits to bring out that specialness, then it's just a matter of time. We will know, without a doubt. Like the batter that smashes a dozen homers in practice or the hoops player that returns to do windmills....sports fans and writers will drool and we will know. I find this soooo reassuring and think he's possibly the best "what if" prospect for dynasty this season.

I would imagine it takes some time for production and not be anticipating anything til midseason but "how'd he do that?" and "that was a thing of beauty" and quotes like that should dictate to hold onto him. He has Peterson's eye too and greatness always recognizes greatness so we'll get comments from him if Love is showing out.

If we get no praise no love for Love, then just cut him.

I think this is easy and we can overanalyze to make this difficult

If we get no praise no love for Love, then just cut him.
Some praise.  This is the kind of comment, even though I don't agree with it, that gets hype going. But beware that Randy Jordan threw out praise for the entire backfield.

@JPFinlayNBCS

Randy Jordan says Bryce Love has some similar tools to Christian McCaffery. Both played college together at Stanford

I thought he was going to be one of my easier cuts at roster cutdown, but not now.  Hopefully his knee is fully recovered.

Washington’s Fantasy Outlook Following Derrius Guice’s Release

Excerpt:

The next name I am looking at is former Stanford RB Bryce Love. People seem to have forgotten how special Love was in 2017 as he finished as the Heisman Trophy runner-up to Baker Mayfield. In 2017, Love rushed for over 2,000 yards on 8.1 yards per carry while showing off sprinter-level speed and acceleration. 

He is being overlooked due to an underwhelming 2018, where he added injury to insult by tearing his ACL on the final play of the season. Due to surgery and recovery, Love missed all of his rookie season. 

Love brings explosiveness and top-end speed that is unmatched in the Washington backfield. Everything coming out of the organization indicates they have been impressed with Love and have high hopes for him this year. He is going undrafted in most redraft leagues as RB86. We are throwing darts in that ranges and few, if any, have the upside Love does with your final selection. 

The Guice news doesn't change Love's status, although you probably want it to. It is still going to be whether Love looks special again and thus has recovered to become his ol self. 

The Guice news doesn't change Love's status, although you probably want it to. It is still going to be whether Love looks special again and thus has recovered to become his ol self. 
I somewhat agree, but Guice being gone takes away the one guy who had as much/more talent. So, if Love can get back to his college self, he's got a shot at at 200+ touches, which I really don't think he had with Guice there.

anybody buyin in dynasty?  if so, what offers you makin?

seems a decent flyer to me.  should be cheap, and while its still bit of a longshot, big payoff potential.

I think people are WAY underestimating Mr. Love and way overestimating Gibson.  Love is an established RB who had an ACL.  As long as he returns healthy I think he gets a solid shot. 

Fantasy Football Training Camp News and Notes: Is there a must-draft sleeper in Washington's backfield?

Excerpt:

Bryce Love: Love might have been the most talented back here anyway. He's has been cleared for football activity after missing his rookie season, and is the highest-upside option if back to the form we saw in college. I'm trying to draft him with one of my last few picks everywhere — don't be a surprise if he's a top-70 pick in September. You heard it here first. Unfortunately, the lack of real game reps with the preseason being canceled means there may not be confidence in Love's abilities until a few weeks into the season. But he's the one guy here who could really run away with a three-down role. 

I drafted Gibson in every dyno rookie draft this year and have been picking up Love where I could get him for cheap/nothing.  I like Gibson better, but Love wasn't a bum either before he got hurt.  Either of them could have massive value this year in redraft.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Bryce Love is "looking really good" at training camp and could be a factor in the Washington backfield.

Love looks healthy after a second ACL surgery cost him his rookie season. There hadn't been much puff on him, but with Derrius Guice gone and Antonio Gibson struggling in pass protection, he suddenly has a path to snaps. Love hits big runs — he set FBS records with 13 plays over 50 yards as a Stanford junior. There’s some post-hype to Love in a wide open backfield, but an early season role is far from a lock after a lost 2019.

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: NFL Network

Aug 14, 2020, 6:35 PM ET

NBC Sports' JP Finlay believes Bryce Love being Washington's No. 2 running back "seems quite real."

With Adrian Peterson receiving a routine day off, Love was thrust into Washington's first-team reps in practice Wednesday. It's encouraging to see him healthy after essentially redshirting his rookie season in 2019. The depth chart following Derrius Guice's release is firmly up for grabs, and there are a handful of ways it can shake out. Love will primarily be competing with Peterson for early-down work, while third-round rookie Antonio Gibson attempts to carve out a passing-down role and potentially more. Love's injury history should keep the fantasy chatter low, but he's at least on the radar in deep leagues. Gibson is a boom-bust option around the 80th to 120th overall pick in fantasy drafts.

RELATED: 

Adrian Peterson

, Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Aug 19, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

First team reps with good quotes....it's rough not having preseason to gauge for ourselves

Washington coach Ron Rivera said Bryce Love can be an “every-down” back.

“This is a guy that could be an every-down back for you,” Rivera said. “He’s an explosive, dynamic player.” Love has been talked up as the new No. 2 back behind Adrian Peterson. He’s setback-free in training camp and has shown he’s nearly back to pre-injury form. Love has veteran status over Antonio Gibson, potentially giving him the edge in carries. It’s looking like there’s a real chance Love has a Week 1 role.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Washington

Aug 23, 2020, 10:41 AM ET

Love is sitting there as our Dynasty FA opens tonight.  He and Boston Scott are my top 2 targets. I just can't see Peterson keeping the job.

Users who are viewing this thread