What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (8 Viewers)

as a knick fan, i’m still trying to figure out how ntilikina was drafted 8th overall.  i mean, was every scout simply wrong on this guy?  he has zero NBA skills in today’s day and age.  he can’t shoot and isn’t athletic to attack the rim or create for others.  i get that he is tall and waves his arms, but i think the modern day PG is a bit more than that.  no idea why the knicks picked up his option.  he might be a great 12 th man for a contender where he needs to play 5 minutes every 20 games or so, but him getting 25-30 minutes nightly says we simply don’t care to win.
Phil drafted him to run the Triangle, then got fired a few days later....

Let me explain it to you clearer since you don't seem to grasp basic logic. 

When shooting 50% from 3, Philly should be winning easily.  Let's see what they do if they aren't breaking team records for made 3's in a game.  Likely it will be more like their 3 game losing streak than 12 pt wins at home.

Back to my original point, Brett Brown is not a good coach.  This team isn't winning a championship with him as their head coach and this game did nothing to dissuade me off that position.
Fingers crossed that the Celtics can make the playoffs for you guys. They will be a 7th seed and get the Sixers 1st round. We can see if the Sixers are any good then 

Because Beverly obviously knocked it away and it was only that it was still touching lebrons fingers when Beverly knocked it away.  That would never be considered out on lebron until a slo mo instant replay, so just seems against the spirit of it
The rule is clear. It touched Lebron last. It's a tough break, but 100% correct call. Just because we couldn't have made the correct call in years past is no reason to not make the very clear correct call, today.

Nuggets with a terrible home loss to the Pellies. Brandon Ingram is so fun to watch offensively.

At some point they need to thrust Porter Jr. into their starting lineup.  Strongly feel the Nuggets will never win a title with a slow offense revolving around Jokic. For as great a big man offensively as he is, he gets LOTS of slack for his atrocious defense. Nuggets style of play completely negates any advantage having all the depth they do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule is clear. It touched Lebron last. It's a tough break, but 100% correct call. Just because we couldn't have made the correct call in years past is no reason to not make the very clear correct call, today.
So nobody in the entire world playing on the street or in a gym can get that call correct without having a super-slo-mo replay following them?  Disagree strongly.  When the defender slaps the ball directly out of bounds, just give the ball back to the offense and keep playing.

So nobody in the entire world playing on the street or in a gym can get that call correct without having a super-slo-mo replay following them?  Disagree strongly.  When the defender slaps the ball directly out of bounds, just give the ball back to the offense and keep playing.
Can you show me the rule under which you make such a determination?

My understanding is rule is simple: Ball goes to the opposite team of that which touched the ball last.

We have replay at the highest levels of play for a reason, to get the call right.

Do you dispute that Lebron touched the ball last? It’s literally 100% clear.  

End of story. 

My understanding is rule is simple: Ball goes to the opposite team of that which touched the ball last.

We have replay at the highest levels of play for a reason, to get the call right.

Do you dispute that Lebron touched the ball last? It’s literally 100% clear.  

End of story. 
so would you like all of those plays to be reviewed all game long?

so would you like all of those plays to be reviewed all game long?
That is another discussion.

As to what is the correct call in this instance, there is no viable debate.  It’s literally 100% clear that Lebron touched it last. The rule is the ball goes to the other team. Literally end of story unless we are whining about rules and not what happened on that play per the existing rules.

If you’d like to engage in whether or should be reviewable and what/when should plays be reviewable, have at it.  But there’s nothing here to back up that the right call was not actually made... which is the entire purpose of replay.

Now, to the other issue since it can’t be disputed that this was the correct call... I believe in the last minute at the least, these close calls should be reviewed.  

And this instance is literally proof as to why... without the technology we may or may not have made the correct call.  With the technology we got the call correct with absolute certainty, which tells me that is exactly how this play should be handled in the future. 

Goal: make the correct call.

Result from this case: Correct call was made

Why are we whining about getting a call correct (unless the whining has nothing to do with the issue of getting a call correct) 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I don't have a rule book in front of me right now, but hopefully the rule is worded in a way that matches how it is called in millions of basketball games every year.

I don't have a rule book in front of me right now, but hopefully the rule is worded in a way that matches how it is called in millions of basketball games every year.
Yeah. Something to that effect of it goes the the opposite team of whoever touched it last.

Not sure why this is even a debate. It’s the most cut and dried rule. No intent, no judgements regarding what affected what. Just: who did it touch last?

Yeah. Something to that effect of it goes the the opposite team of whoever touched it last.

Not sure why this is even a debate. It’s the most cut and dried rule. No intent, no judgements regarding what affected what. Just: who did it touch last?
It's a debate because the rule is called one way in millions of games (plus the first 47 minutes of a NBA game), then replay calls it a differently in the final 1 minute.  So maybe the wording of the rule should be updated so that it is always called the same way.

If the player’s team who did not touch the ball last got the ball, yes.

It May be time to update the rule. But the rule is clear. 

You’ve yet to answer my most fundamental questions:

1. What is the rule?

2. Who touched it last?

That is the ONLY consideration for this moment as to whether it was the correct call. But you may well have a point to change the rule/update the language 

It's a debate because the rule is called one way in millions of games (plus the first 47 minutes of a NBA game), then replay calls it a differently in the final 1 minute.  So maybe the wording of the rule should be updated so that it is always called the same way.
I understand the debate regarding whether or not we update the rule. There is no legitimate debate as to what the “correct” call is here though. 

What’s the rule say and what happened is very clear.  To your point, as it doesn’t reflect the INTENT of the rule, we should update it so the two align

The rule isn’t called differently in millions of other games. The ball accidentally bounces off people all the time before going out of bounds. The refs call it the way they do when they see the ball go off a player. If they can’t see it, they don’t call it. 

I’ve seen shots get blocked before and as the ball is clearly on its way out of bounds, it hits off the hand/arm/shoulder/whatever of the offensive team even though they didn’t mean to touch it. Too bad. It’s off them. 

Sometimes players even try to grab a loose ball, miss it, and in missing it, earn possession even though that was an “accident”.

This discussion is crazy. 

Nuggets with a terrible home loss to the Pellies. Brandon Ingram is so fun to watch offensively.

At some point they need to thrust Porter Jr. into their starting lineup.  Strongly feel the Nuggets will never win a title with a slow offense revolving around Jokic. For as great a big man offensively as he is, he gets LOTS of slack for his atrocious defense. Nuggets style of play completely negates any advantage having all the depth they do. 
The Nuggets are the 3rd best defense in the NBA and Jokic is on the court for 65% of the game - last year was a similar story. He isn't a rim protector or good in space, but he is always in the right place, he boxes out well, and he has very quick, strong hands. I didn't watch the game last night, so maybe we was especially aloof last night, but he has an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time.

I bet if fans were able to vote before the season for either having replay or not having replay at all the overwhelming majority would just go with no replay and live with the call
And it would be a near landslide to vote it back in the following season, after the uproar of so many missed, obvious calls.

This team is frustrating as hell to watch. It's why I haven't been watching most games the lat month. Just checking on the scores. Still annoys me. 

So i still lean the Sixers can win the championship this year with their ceiling level of play, but holy moly when they don't put the effort in or just play poorly they can rival the Knicks for the worst team in the league when they play closer to their floor level. I can't remember too many teams like these guys with such a significant variance. 

2nd half of the season will be telling

ETA: and glad to hear some of the comments lately from the team. Horford is right that the team is not utilizing him all that great, and J-Rich is right to pipe up about the accountability of the team

Wow. RIP. News seemed quiet about it for a week or so, so I figured he was gonna pull through.

Going to be fun watching the Lakers against the Clippers in the West if everyone is healthy.

So i still lean the Sixers can win the championship this year with their ceiling level of play, but holy moly when they don't put the effort in or just play poorly they can rival the Knicks for the worst team in the league when they play closer to their floor level. I can't remember too many teams like these guys with such a significant variance. 

2nd half of the season will be telling

ETA: and glad to hear some of the comments lately from the team. Horford is right that the team is not utilizing him all that great, and J-Rich is right to pipe up about the accountability of the team
I know I'll get viewed as some hater just for commenting but they literally have zero leaders on the team or people holding anyone accountable from the FO to the Coach to players. It's nice guys are talking but actions speak louder. Kinkade just Ripped Simmons for going to a NYE Party to spend time with Kendal (Allegedly it's been found out recently she cheated 6 times on Ben already?) after the loss yesterday. He stated it's not great in the optic department nor do the Sixers seem to ever help themselves in these issues. Horford calls the team out and then a player who's only been with the team since the Sumer is calling out a lack of accountability already doesn't look good. Then you see this right after during a time the team needs to get back on a plane and go to HOU? Just doesn't look good. My soccer Club Milan has a similar issue. We got thrashed 5-0 and are not anywhere near where the club should be this tie of the year. Then the fans see pics of two guys who had awful games taking private jets and partying in Ibiza after the game? Same issue as the Sixers. Not a good look. 

Instead of talk they need actions. Maybe Ben tells his People hey look we just lost 3 in a row Im taking the night off maybe getting a few players together to go to the gym or over my place so we can talk and see why things aren't working out, Hold some sort of team meeting. Like something to show "hey we're serious about this it's time for us to take some accountability or people will lose their jobs." You can have your fun and games all you want but when its at the risk of losing games maybe sacrificing fun and play for later is what's best. I mean there were stories in the past about the Sixers coming up with excuses for Embiid and Simmons missing games in the past with illness and a report came out saying they were hungover and Sixers were doing PR (Similar to the AI yrs). There's just been clear signs of both these guys being more about them and not about the team at times. They need some locker room leaders at the least or Brand to make some sort of statement move of this isn't acceptable. 

I never thought AL was a good pick up for them. I just don't think he fits the team. I always liked J-Rich and good to see him speaking out. Shows a lot of growth and maturity. You'd like to see that from your stars like Joel or Ben but it seems they are more interested in their GFs or how many likes and how popular on the socials they can be. I see it on Social media and fans are already turning on both of these guys. Joel on his lack of effort and missing games and their frustrations with Ben lack of attempting Jumpers and other things. If they don't turn it around they are gonna start losing fans and Joel and Ben being ran out of town. I know I've said it for awhile quite honestly given how both are so ball dominate I just don't see how the 76ers currently constructed can win with both guys on the roster. The Roster itself is horrible constructed for the best players they have. I'm just not sure how you fix it without trading one of those guys first and building around the guy you chose to keep.I'd personally keep Embiid though as I don't think you will get fair value at all for him for what you need back. 

Users who are viewing this thread