What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (7 Viewers)

In other non-news from earlier this week, Anthony Davis declined the max extension from the Lakers, meaning he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer. 

Drat. I guess Giannis is on his own in making sure the C's are kept out of the top spot in the Eastern Conference now.
Celtics are pretty good against the scrubs of the league, i can give them that. Marcus Smart is good at diving at guy's knees to try and intentionally hurt them, so i guess they have that going for them going for them

oh my god :lmao:  

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

After stunning players in a film session with a verbal suggestion that they were no longer playing “like a bunch of thugs,” Cavaliers coach John Beilein reached out individually to players tonight to insist he meant to use the word “slugs.” Story on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28450077/john-beilein-apologizes-cavs-says-meant-call-players-slugs-not-thugs

10:58 PM 1/8/20
I love John Beilein. He will always be a legend in Ann Arbor.

But that was bad. And his season so far has been ... not good.

I hope it gets better.

@Kev4029 also jesus I could not have been more wrong about the thunder a few months ago. I’m thinking they might even be able to win a round now 

@Kev4029 also jesus I could not have been more wrong about the thunder a few months ago. I’m thinking they might even be able to win a round now 
I'm not surprised they are in 7th place or whatever because the bottom half of the west sucks, but I definitely don't see this surge coming. Have they been any fun to watch?

I'm not surprised they are in 7th place or whatever because the bottom half of the west sucks, but I definitely don't see this surge coming. Have they been any fun to watch?
They really have, particularly when Schröder, SGA, and Paul are out there together.

I still think they aren’t quite this good though, they have some crazy record in close games which seems more like luck than anything else. 

They should trade for Drummond. They could be good now.
I hope Atlanta doesn’t trade for Drummond . The only thing Drummond is good for is personal stats. He doesn’t play winning basketball and is one of the least intimidating bigs in all of basketball.  No other big in the league is fearful of him—and the dude can’t stop anybody. Just look at what opposing teams bigs do against him. Tristan Thompson  goes for 35pts-14 rebounds against him tonight on 75% shooting from the field.  He’s one of the most overrated players in the NBA due to nothing more than hollow stats. 

Drat. I guess Giannis is on his own in making sure the C's are kept out of the top spot in the Eastern Conference now.
No, the Celtics themselves seem to be making sure of that.  Three straight losses in games they were favored.  What the heck, Brad?

Very nicely done tribute video by the Thunder last night.  Westbrook will always be loved in OKC.  

That being said, I really enjoy watching this current Thunder team and the game last night never really felt close.  CP3 has the team playing well above their level.  Ferguson kept Harden in check most of the night.  The Thunder play hard on both ends and seem to be just having fun.  Like I've said before, BillyD is looking like a better coach since he has a team of coachable players.  

Still not sure the Thunder can win a playoff series, they just don't have a player like RW or Harden that can take over a game and go on a 10 point run and that seems to be a need in the playoffs.   

Very nicely done tribute video by the Thunder last night.  Westbrook will always be loved in OKC.  

That being said, I really enjoy watching this current Thunder team and the game last night never really felt close.  CP3 has the team playing well above their level.  Ferguson kept Harden in check most of the night.  The Thunder play hard on both ends and seem to be just having fun.  Like I've said before, BillyD is looking like a better coach since he has a team of coachable players.  

Still not sure the Thunder can win a playoff series, they just don't have a player like RW or Harden that can take over a game and go on a 10 point run and that seems to be a need in the playoffs.   
I really love Shai’s game and overall demeanor on the court. I think he can grow to be the player that takes over games for the Thunder as he develops. 

Jayrod said:
No, the Celtics themselves seem to be making sure of that.  Three straight losses in games they were favored.  What the heck, Brad?

wikkidpissah said:
Did TimeLord's 11 minutes mean THAT much?!
you guys ready to admit yet that Tatum isn't going to be a future Hall of Famer? to be honest if i were trading with the C's, i would rather have Brown than Tatum

jvdesigns2002 said:
I really love Shai’s game and overall demeanor on the court. I think he can grow to be the player that takes over games for the Thunder as he develops. 
Yes, he will get there.  But it would be asking a lot for him to do it this year in the playoffs.  

Kyrie is so weird.

goes from maybe being out for the year a week ago to probably playing today.
I honestly do not understand the Nets having Kyrie play this year at all.  Even with Kyrie--that team is nowhere close to being a contender. If getting surgery insures that Kyries shoulder is fully healthy by next year when KD returns--I just see no upside to having him play and risking injuring it further.   It's not like Dinwiddie can't handle being the starter the rest of the year. 

I honestly do not understand the Nets having Kyrie play this year at all.  Even with Kyrie--that team is nowhere close to being a contender. If getting surgery insures that Kyries shoulder is fully healthy by next year when KD returns--I just see no upside to having him play and risking injuring it further.   It's not like Dinwiddie can't handle being the starter the rest of the year. 
Yeah, i'll spend my $500 taking my kid to see Tool instead. What? MJK is resting his voice for Bonnaroo? Yeah, it's prolly better that he does his best there.....

I don't necessarily disagree, but the decision to have surgery is his to make, not the Nets.

On a side note.....is there a more pleasurable TV viewing experience than watching Nets games?  The contrast of that court with the players and uniforms really makes things pop on TV.  While the actual basketball product is not great, the Nets have certainly hit it out of the park with aesthetics and viewing experience.

Yeah, i'll spend my $500 taking my kid to see Tool instead. What? MJK is resting his voice for Bonnaroo? Yeah, it's prolly better that he does his best there.....
I generally love your metaphors and your writing style—but in this case—the situations are not at all parallel. Besides that—as a Tool fan—I wouldn’t even care if MJK sings.  I paid good money to see Pigmy Love Circus in a small venue just to hear and see Danny Carey’s drumming. lol. 

I generally love your metaphors and your writing style—but in this case—the situations are not at all parallel. Besides that—as a Tool fan—I wouldn’t even care if MJK sings.  I paid good money to see Pigmy Love Circus in a small venue just to hear and see Danny Carey’s drumming. lol. 
Yeah, Kyrie Irving's getting almost a half mil per game. Let him decide if he's feeling his perfect self and whether it's worth it all without KD. I'll tell the kid i spent a week's pay to bring to the game that he's rockin' his Spencer Dinwiddie jersey tonite.

Yeah, Kyrie Irving's getting almost a half mil per game. Let him decide if he's feeling his perfect self and whether it's worth it all without KD. I'll tell the kid i spent a week's pay to bring to the game that he's rockin' his Spencer Dinwiddie jersey tonite.
Agree to disagree—Kyrie is not investing in himself. The Nets are paying him $142 million over four years.  Compromising his and the teams future health by playing him in a meaningless year is unnecessarily risky. Go read about what sports doctors are saying about Kyrie’s shoulder. The impingement he has is the type of injuries that athletes his age do not usually get—it’s the type of injury that people in their 40’s plus get.   Anybody that purchases tickets for a sporting event is well aware of the risks involved in getting them.   While the Nets can’t and shouldn’t force Kyrie to get surgery—I see zero reason or upside to risk the future of a guy that they just made one of the pillars of their franchise for the next 3 years by playing him.  We’ll see what happens.  Best case scenario—Kyrie comes back and maybe the Nets lose in the first round.  Worst case—he comes back and re-aggravates his injury or suffers a different injury.  

I hope Atlanta doesn’t trade for Drummond . The only thing Drummond is good for is personal stats. He doesn’t play winning basketball and is one of the least intimidating bigs in all of basketball.  No other big in the league is fearful of him—and the dude can’t stop anybody. Just look at what opposing teams bigs do against him. Tristan Thompson  goes for 35pts-14 rebounds against him tonight on 75% shooting from the field.  He’s one of the most overrated players in the NBA due to nothing more than hollow stats. 
I know it's bad that I'm quoting myself--but I can't help myself.  Jahlil Okafor starts against Drummond at Detroit and ends up putting up a line of 25pts-14rebs-5assists.   It's shocking to me that many people consider Drummond to be one of the better bigs in the game.  Opposing big men routinely put up huge numbers on him and for somebody with his size and athleticism--his presence in the paint is laughable.   Some players play basketball and defense to win--and some players are more motivated to put up stats even if they are hollow.   He's definitely more interested in being a stat stuffer than he is being an actual good defender. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Another 9 point halftime lead on the road blown. Something missing on this team ...
More neverwas than missing - after 3 & a half years on the same team, still no 2-man game between perhaps the two most-talented players in basketball. I believe my first "no one's learning anything!" post about Brown was over two years ago and, as a longtime Celtsfan and therefore Sixerwatcher, the fecklesslessly faithful brotherly love for the coach remains one of most mystifying things in sport.

More neverwas than missing - after 3 & a half years on the same team, still no 2-man game between perhaps the two most-talented players in basketball. I believe my first "no one's learning anything!" post about Brown was over two years ago and, as a longtime Celtsfan and therefore Sixerwatcher, the fecklesslessly faithful brotherly love for the coach remains one of most mystifying things in sport.
No your posts came to mind the last couple months. Unfortunately I think he gets the rest of this season before he's fired. Which means if he figures out how to get to the ECF, he might stay. But it's clear no one is improving and no one listens to him. 

No your posts came to mind the last couple months. Unfortunately I think he gets the rest of this season before he's fired. Which means if he figures out how to get to the ECF, he might stay. But it's clear no one is improving and no one listens to him. 
Maybe, now that he has free time, Jason Garrett can teach Brown to clap...

the scope of what brown has done during his tenure is really impressive.  that's why people love him.  he is the shepherd of this whole process.

that being said, it's nut cuttin time and he can't get credit for the past forever.  if they don't have at least a good showing in the ECF this year, he should almost certainly be gone.

the scope of what brown has done during his tenure is really impressive.  that's why people love him.  he is the shepherd of this whole process.

that being said, it's nut cuttin time and he can't get credit for the past forever.  if they don't have at least a good showing in the ECF this year, he should almost certainly be gone.
yeah, can't put all on Brown. Sixers were  6 for 32 from 3, that is a bigger concern.  Shooting 18% from 3 won't help any coach

yeah, can't put all on Brown. Sixers were  6 for 32 from 3, that is a bigger concern.  Shooting 18% from 3 won't help any coach
eh, the offense is pretty stagnant (partly due to personnel) and they live and die by the 3 too much for a team that is not that great at shooting.  They have trouble reliably generating offense in the 2nd half.  I'm actually happy seeing Trey burke in there.  Their actions are boring and not spaced well, so they just can't get much going.  It will be better when Embiid gets back obviously, but you can see their systemic offensive issues on display.

And Ben's finishing really should get as much flack as his shooting.  

eh, the offense is pretty stagnant (partly due to personnel) and they live and die by the 3 too much for a team that is not that great at shooting.  They have trouble reliably generating offense in the 2nd half.  I'm actually happy seeing Trey burke in there.  Their actions are boring and not spaced well, so they just can't get much going.  It will be better when Embiid gets back obviously, but you can see their systemic offensive issues on display.

And Ben's finishing really should get as much flack as his shooting.  
He does miss a lot of layups. 

Pistons up by 9 over Boston after 3 thanks to ... 20 points so far from Air France. 

The future is here.
8-10 shooting is certainly efficient. glad Doumbaya is doing good, you guys up to trade him for Al Horford?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread