What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (10 Viewers)

As the biggest Lonzo fan on these boards, I was sad to see him included in the deal.  I wish NO would have taken Kuzma instead.  I still believe in Lonzo as a player and think he is vastly underrated, and can be a championship winning PG.

That said, the one thing that has really tempered my Lonzo standom, is the FT%.  Despite everything I love about his game and the entertaining way he plays, I don't have a good argument to refute the point that you simply can't be an elite perimeter player in the NBA shooting 44% from the charity stripe.  :shrug:

I'll still be pulling for you ZO!  
Yeah, I hope he can find a way to get out from under his dad, figure out how to shoot a little bit. He at least needs to get his game around the rim together - his struggles finishing there so often are baffling.

The only reason for the train wreck was all the injuries. They were, I believe, 3rd in the western conference when LeBron got hurt, and were playing really good ball at that point. Then James, Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, Rondo and a few others missed serious time. This is another silly narrative.
agreed train wreck is a little harsh (apologies but I :wub: me some emojis). was more pointing out how I think the Lakers were looking like a legit young up and coming team for a bit there, then they really went away from that. For better or worse, guess we will find out

LA is a good place to build a brand, they will always have that advantage. Allows for a lot of mistakes  :kicksrock:  
It's also probably 1a or 1b in terms of awesome places to live in the U.S. if you're filthy rich. I think NYC is probably #1, but they don't have the weather we have. Miami is up there too.

But in the end, the Lakers are currently, as composed, one of the handful of NBA teams considered a favorite to win the title in 2019-2020. 
Thoroughly enjoying Lakers' fans continuing to cling to this as if Vegas in any way thinks the Lakers are one of the the likely choices to win the title next year. All they're doing is lowering their liability against all of these fanatic Lakers homers who are donating their money in droves. The books are laughing at the gift that fell into their laps. They could drop the Lakers 2019-20 Championship odds to even money and the dopes would still be lining up to bet on it.

agreed train wreck is a little harsh (apologies but I :wub: me some emojis). was more pointing out how I think the Lakers were looking like a legit young up and coming team for a bit there, then they really went away from that. For better or worse, guess we will find out
I get what you're saying. Then again, if you have an opportunity to have LeBron play on your team - you take it, without worrying about the potential negative consequences.

I think their biggest #### up last offseason was giving $12M to KCP. They should have offered that plus like $6M or so to Randle instead on a 1 year deal (instead Randle left for 1 yr $9M + 1 yr $9M player option which he just declined) and foregone Stephenson and some of the other crud. But guess who KCP's agent is?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug Gottlieb just went on a pro Danny Ainge rant.

Celtics aren't buried.  They are still a 3-6 seed level team in the East as is.  Any luck and they have a decent shot at the ECF and a punchers chance at the Finals with a decent trade or FA signing.  Also could see any of Tatum, Brown or Rozier take another leap forward.

Thoroughly enjoying Lakers' fans continuing to cling to this as if Vegas in any way thinks the Lakers are one of the the likely choices to win the title next year. All they're doing is lowering their liability against all of these fanatic Lakers homers who are donating their money in droves. The books are laughing at the gift that fell into their laps. They could drop the Lakers 2019-20 Championship odds to even money and the dopes would still be lining up to bet on it.
My post had nothing to do with Vegas.  If you don't consider a team led by LeBron and AD a viable contender, I disagree.  :shrug:

if the celtics do not have horford and kirie are they even a lock to win a first round series i dont know if that is the case brohan take that to the bank 

Doug Gottlieb just went on a pro Danny Ainge rant.

Celtics aren't buried.  They are still a 3-6 seed level team in the East as is.  Any luck and they have a decent shot at the ECF and a punchers chance at the Finals with a decent trade or FA signing.  Also could see any of Tatum, Brown or Rozier take another leap forward.
Their shot at the ECF is now pretty much dependent on the Bucks, 76ers and Raptors getting picked apart in FA. The C's are closer to Indiana at this point than they are the top of the conference.

My post had nothing to do with Vegas.  If you don't consider a team led by LeBron and AD a viable contender, I disagree.  :shrug:
I wonder how many teams in the league wouldn't swap rosters/cap situation with the Lakers right now if their goal is to win a championship in 2019/2020.

B for the Jazz, but I worry Conley and Mitchell might be too small defensively bc Rubio was used to defend the bigger guards. They have Gobert back there so it may not matter.

A for the Grizz. 3 assets for an old, injury prone, and expensive PG is great.

With the Warriors hobbled I'll be rooting for the Jazz. I love watching Mitchell play and a former teammate of mine is on their coaching staff.

Lol, your words were that the Lakers were one of a handful of teams considered a favorite to win the 2019-20 title. If you're weren't referring to betting odds and instead are referring to real life chances, then your faith is even more misplaced.

Conleys contract had a ton to do with that.    He's a great player--but good lord the remaining portion of his contract is hard to digest.  
the contract is kind of an eye of the beholder thing and certainly had something to do with limiting the suitors, but on balance, i don't think that it is that bad.  For a team looking to contend now and not having to get saddled with some 5-year deal, it is pretty good.

Their shot at the ECF is now pretty much dependent on the Bucks, 76ers and Raptors getting picked apart in FA. The C's are closer to Indiana at this point than they are the top of the conference.
I think if Oladipo is healthy, I put C's on the same benchmark as Orlando and Charlotte. Considering a healthy Oladipo, and if the Nets get Kyrie and something, I think the best C's can get is 6-8. That is if Mil and Toronto can retain their big pieces as well

Next year Eastern Conference standings

1. Philadelphia (no homerism, just accept it)

2. Mil

3. Indy

4. Tor

5. Brooklyn

6. Atlanta

7. Orlando

8. Boston

Detroit, Charlotte in the races too. Have Boston real low here, but thinking about it, I don't know if the chemistry issues just disappear because Kyrie leaves. Seem to have a lot of drama around Rozier and Brown, and no club house leader like Horford. Could see possibility of mini implosion. Particularly with who takes shots at the end of close games

if the celtics do not have horford and kirie are they even a lock to win a first round series i dont know if that is the case brohan take that to the bank 
No.  They need to add somebody to be at that point, but I'm pretty sure with the cap space that comes from losing Kyrie and Horford, there will be somebody available.  They certainly will be working their way down the list until a deal is done.

I think if Oladipo is healthy, I put C's on the same benchmark as Orlando and Charlotte. Considering a healthy Oladipo, and if the Nets get Kyrie and something, I think the best C's can get is 6-8. That is if Mil and Toronto can retain their big pieces as well

2. Mil

3. Indy

4. Tor

5. Brooklyn

6. Atlanta

7. Orlando

8. Boston

Detroit, Charlotte in the races too. Have Boston real low here, but thinking about it, I don't know if the chemistry issues just disappear because Kyrie leaves. Seem to have a lot of drama around Rozier and Brown, and no club house leader like Horford. Could see possibility of mini implosion. Particularly with who takes shots at the end of close games
Is this assuming Leonard leaves Toronto? Otherwise I figure Toronto is still on top there.

2. Mil

3. Indy

4. Tor

5. Brooklyn

6. Atlanta

7. Orlando

8. Boston

I agree everyone but Atlanta and Orlando, putting them at 6.  If Leonard walks from Toronto, Boston will be better than them.  If not, Toronto is either 1 or 2.

Again, they will sign someone.  Where they land depends entirely on who that is, which is my point.

ETA:  Philly is below Milwuakee and Toronto for regular season standings, assuming all teams hang on to everyone they have.

Is this assuming Leonard leaves Toronto? Otherwise I figure Toronto is still on top there.
this is Kawhi still there. Totally just threw that out, but the idea is a little hangover from winning the championship for the first time, plus a continued focus on load mgmt. not sure if Gasol is back or some of the older vets either

I agree everyone but Atlanta and Orlando, putting them at 6.  If Leonard walks from Toronto, Boston will be better than them.  If not, Toronto is either 1 or 2.

Again, they will sign someone.  Where they land depends entirely on who that is, which is my point.

ETA:  Philly is below Milwuakee and Toronto for regular season standings, assuming all teams hang on to everyone they have.
maybe. I can see Mil being up there, but if I had to guess (again completely with tons of moves yet to be played out and off the top of my head) I would guess Toronto has a little bit of a championship hangover and focuses on load mgmt. again.

Lol, your words were that the Lakers were one of a handful of teams considered a favorite to win the 2019-20 title. If you're weren't referring to betting odds and instead are referring to real life chances, then your faith is even more misplaced.
Yeah a team with LeBron, AD, and room for another max contract free agent in a year with the warriors having no shot to win the championship isn't a favorite to win.....as Stephen A would say get of the weeeeeeeeeeeed.

2. Mil

3. Indy

4. Tor

5. Brooklyn

6. Atlanta

7. Orlando

8. Boston

You might be a year early with Atlanta - the East is weak but I see them really making their jump in 2021. They have a ton of bad salary that comes off the books next summer, around $50MM that’s currently wrapped up in Crabbe, Bazemore, and Plumlee. They’ll have max space to add a star to their core of Young + Collins + whatever they do with their 3 picks tomorrow. They could be a lot of fun.

Here are 10 gut predictions for around the league:

1. Kyrie signs with Brooklyn
  2. Butler signs with LAL after AD waives his $4M.
  3. Philly re-signs Tobias and lands Beverly.  They also keep Redick who signs a team friendly deal.
  4. Kawhi goes to the Clippers
  5. KD and Horford go to the Knicks
  6. D'Angelo goes to Phoenix
  7. Boston trades Brown and two 1st rounders for Beal
  8. Lopez and Middleton are resigned to Milwuakee
  9. Brodgdon goes to Orlando
  10. Vucevic signs with Dallas

Yeah a team with LeBron, AD, and room for another max contract free agent in a year with the warriors having no shot to win the championship isn't a favorite to win.....as Stephen A would say get of the weeeeeeeeeeeed.
There's a rather significant flaw in what you just posted. And if you believe so strongly in the Lakers you should run to the nearest book and plop your money down before the odds get worse. They're currently 3.5 to 1 to win it all.

There is a gigantic difference between missing on the 7th pick once (Murray was the #7 pick the following year- they got that one right) and the #2 in back to back seasons. I mostly give them a pass on Ingram, but Ball was a reach IMO. His shot was so broken, he was not very quick laterally and never got to the basket, and his dad was such a cancer that there were plenty of people pushing him down their draft board. Even in this thread, people were all over the place on him. All of his weaknesses are probably at least as bad as advertised, while all of his strengths are probably better than advertised. 

Lonzo's strengths are not better than advertised. In is rookie year he was the 3rd best pg in the league in regards to defensive plus/minus.  His court vision is elite---and his handles are very solid.   If he can develop to be an even slightly below average shooter--his future in the NBA is very bright.  His only deficiency is that his offensive game has not evolved as quickly as many would have hoped.   
I read this and can't help but feel that neither of you understand how to use the phrase "better than advertised" appropriately  :lmao:

Knicks haven't been relevant in decades, and have zero all stars currently on their roster.  Rumor is that they may end up paying Al Horford the max for his mid-30s seasons.

Al Horford.  I repeat Al Horford.  We have LeBron and AD.  C'mon bro. 
That "rumor" was started in this thread.

There's a rather significant flaw in what you just posted. And if you believe so strongly in the Lakers you should run to the nearest book and plop your money down before the odds get worse. They're currently 3.5 to 1 to win it all.
Can u point out the flaw for me?

1. Brodgdon goes to Orlando
even if they renounce all of the FAs (which I'm not sure they would want to do), they still only have 18.6 for Brogdon, which I don't think gets it done.

Maybe they could try to dump Mozgov on Cleveland or something.  Lol at Fultz taking up $10 mill.

Yeah, I assume you're talking about "a year with the warriors having no shot to win the championship." I think people might be overreacting to the Warriors' injuries. They're certainly not the favorites, but IF (big if ) Klay is back and close to his pre-injury self in time for the playoffs they'll have as good a shot as anyone. In the meantime Steph + Draymond should get them to a 3-6 seed and their depth should improve as those guys see more playing time.

in fact grayson allen should have to poke two arm holes and a head hole in a black hefty trashbag and wear it over his jersey whenever he plays just so that everyone knows what he really is take that to the bank bromigos
You're not still salty about the 2015 NCAA title game are ya??  :lmao:

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

3. Philly re-signs Tobias and lands Beverly.  They also keep Redick who signs a team friendly deal.
Phoenix couldnt do that unless they let Oubre walk and dump another contract or two into someone’s cap space. Or give up assets to get someone to eat Tyler Johnson’s deal. 

Horford to nyk was my guess. Its a logical destination given cap, team need, etc.
if Horford leaves the C's for the Knicks it must mean that the C's chemistry issues and locker room atmosphere is even worse then anyone thought. Horford has made some good money, to leave for the knicks (granted if KD still goes there is that too) would really be something. I think he goes somewhere where he is closer to getting a title. no idea who, but I would think that has to be up there as far as a priority

if Horford leaves the C's for the Knicks it must mean that the C's chemistry issues and locker room atmosphere is even worse then anyone thought. Horford has made some good money, to leave for the knicks (granted if KD still goes there is that too) would really be something. I think he goes somewhere where he is closer to getting a title. no idea who, but I would think that has to be up there as far as a priority
Whomever the team is also offering more money.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here but:

”The Post has learned ESPN and the NBA are “zeroing in” on allowing Woj and company to tweet out the picks before they are announced”

We need a no Twitter posts rule draft night in here. 

Here are my resulting standings after this for next season (assuming drafted players as well):

WC

1. Lakers
  2. Nuggets
  3. Warriors
  4. Jazz
  5. Thunder
  6. Trailblazers
  7. Mavericks
  8. Spurs
  9. Kings
  10. Rockets
EC

1. Bucks
  2. 76ers
  3. Pacers
  4. Nets
  5. Celtics
  6. Magic
  7. Hawks
  8. Raptors
  9. Hornets
  10. Heat

Whomever the team is also offering more money.
it's also crazy how (if the rumors are correct) he came to this decision without doing the normal tour of potential suitors and exploring any other options. I forget who it was, but I remember hearing/reading from some NBA players in the past how going to 4-5 potential teams when they were free agents was the best part of it because you get totally wined and dined and hear how much they love you. They said they already knew what their decision would be, but that this tour is the best part of free agency

Phoenix couldnt do that unless they let Oubre walk and dump another contract or two into someone’s cap space. Or give up assets to get someone to eat Tyler Johnson’s deal. 

even if they renounce all of the FAs (which I'm not sure they would want to do), they still only have 18.6 for Brogdon, which I don't think gets it done.

Maybe they could try to dump Mozgov on Cleveland or something.  Lol at Fultz taking up $10 mill.
I don't have time to worry about the details, dangit.

(but I do believe Brogdon is in the $15M/yr range)

Yeah, I assume you're talking about "a year with the warriors having no shot to win the championship." I think people might be overreacting to the Warriors' injuries. They're certainly not the favorites, but IF (big if ) Klay is back and close to his pre-injury self in time for the playoffs they'll have as good a shot as anyone. In the meantime Steph + Draymond should get them to a 3-6 seed and their depth should improve as those guys see more playing time.
Well there's that in addition to plenty of other established contenders who can add to already strong rosters without starting from scorched earth. The main flaw I was referring to is the fact that the Lakers can't offer a max contract. And the pathway to doing so is at this point requires Anthony Davis giving away $4 million. Something he has indicated he isn't willing to do. That's on top of the Lakers ridding themselves of every player on the roster aside from Davis and James. Sounds like a championship to me!

Because of the cap space, do the Lakers need to complete their entire roster but for minimum contracts by July 6?

I have read 34 articles about how this all will work, with and without Davis waiving $4mm and  I am still confused. 

I'm obviously not going to argue that the Knicks are well run, but given their roster adding Horford at his age at the max would be a terrible move - which I guess means you'll probably be right.
I thought the exact thing.  Even signing him along with KD (like I just predicted) would be dumb as he'd be 35 by the time they were ready to contend....but hey, Knicks.

Because of the cap space, do the Lakers need to complete their entire roster but for minimim contracts by July 6?

I have read 34 articles about how this all will work, with and without Davis waiving $4mm and  I am still confused. 
Does anybody actually understand all of the NBA salary rules and cap exceptions?  I got about halfway through the wikipedia article on it and just gave up I was so confused.

I don't have time to worry about the details, dangit.

(but I do believe Brogdon is in the $15M/yr range)
i don't really think that he is worth more than that, but i think that there will be so much money, that someone will push it and why not try to screw the bucks anyway.  I would have to look at the exact teams, though.  the sixers could/would definitely go well over that if they let one of Butler/Harris go.

it's also crazy how (if the rumors are correct) he came to this decision without doing the normal tour of potential suitors and exploring any other options. I forget who it was, but I remember hearing/reading from some NBA players in the past how going to 4-5 potential teams when they were free agents was the best part of it because you get totally wined and dined and hear how much they love you. They said they already knew what their decision would be, but that this tour is the best part of free agency
Dude is about to come up on another 120M and he’s been through free agency. He doesn’t need a free steak. 

Because of the cap space, do the Lakers need to complete their entire roster but for minimum contracts by July 6?

Teams can't officially sign any free agents until the moratorium ends on July 6.  

Dude is about to come up on another 120M and he’s been through free agency. He doesn’t need a free steak. 
sure, but there are a lot of options out there (presumably). maybe we all find out soon enough that it seems like an obvious fit (e.g. Milwaukee, which makes no sense salary wise but would be a good fit there)

Teams can't officially sign any free agents until the moratorium ends on July 6.  
Yes, but I am sure some happen afterwards. I am asking if they need everything lined up perfectly by that date in order to maximize cap space. 

Also, so if it is all perfect and AD waives the $4mm, then they have $32mm in space prior to the trade. So that allows them to sign one-max guy or a few lower level dudes and THEN trade, right?

so they would have AD, Lebron, Kemba, kuzma. And no space. So how do they get to the minimum number of players at that point?

sure, but there are a lot of options out there (presumably). maybe we all find out soon enough that it seems like an obvious fit (e.g. Milwaukee, which makes no sense salary wise but would be a good fit there)
I’m certain his agent has explored every option. These things don’t come together over ribeyes and Pinot anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread