What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (3 Viewers)

Long Ball Larry said:
depending on how long it is shut down for, if Klay were able to come back, the Warriors might just take that first round.
No kidding, if both Klay and Steph would be back at full strength, I could see a scenario where number of top teams could get knocked out early.

Jalen Green picks G league over NCAA/overseas for 20-21.
 NBA commissioner Adam Silver and G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim have worked to eliminate two massive hurdles to convincing players uninterested in college basketball to pass on lucrative National Basketball League of Australia: a massive salary increase and a structure that doesn't include playing full-time in the G League.
interesting

Not my idea, but I love it.

March Madness type tournament instead of trying to restart the season. Lakers/Bucks first round bye. Other 28 teams play first round game. Reseed after first round.

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(3)Raptors vs (30)Warriors

(4)Clippers vs (29)Wolves

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(10)Rockets vs (23)Hornets

(11)Mavericks vs (22)Wizards

(12)Pacers vs (21)Suns

(13)Sixers vs (20)Spurs

(14)Grizzlies vs (19)Kings

(15)Nets vs (18)Pelicans

(16)Magic vs (17)Blazers
Has this been proposed or just one dude on twitter suggesting it?  I absolutely love it, it would be the most exciting playoffs ever.

Would have to be single knock out though for time constraints.  Or you could not re-seed, and have 1/4 of the teams in a certain city, with one team coming out of each "bracket".  Then a final four type style with semi's and finals being best of 3's.

NCAA need to get their #### together, this could be a big blow to them going forward. :popcorn:

I think it's awesome that these young athletes have another option, good for them. 
i'm not sure about that.  do people really watch college for the stars?  not nearly as much as the NBA.

Honestly, it might make it easier to build more cohesive teams and a better product.  A lot of these one and done guys just don't really fit in to a lot of college schemes.

NCAA need to get their #### together, this could be a big blow to them going forward. :popcorn:

I think it's awesome that these young athletes have another option, good for them. 
Only way they'll compete here is to pay them/let have endorsements. But then, it's a fair question, giving that individualism take away what's made college basketball, college basketball?

NCAA can't hide behind "free education" anymore. They're making a lot more of these kids than their overpriced tuition. If these guys really want to go to college in the future, they'll go.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not sure about that.  do people really watch college for the stars?  not nearly as much as the NBA.

Honestly, it might make it easier to build more cohesive teams and a better product.  A lot of these one and done guys just don't really fit in to a lot of college schemes.
I totally agree fundamentally but believe things are changing. I look at the way my son watches basketball and it's all stars all the time(Youtube clips and NBA2K). As our generation, that can appreciate more of a team concept game, phases out I'm afraid basketball will become even more star/brand driven. :sadbanana:

Only way they'll compete here is to pay them/let have endorsements. But then, it's a fair question, giving that individualism take away what's made college basketball, college basketball?

NCAA can't hide behind "free education" anymore. They're making a lot more of these kids than their overpriced tuition. If these guys really want to go to college in the future, they'll go.
it will be interesting (as noted on dunc'd on) how the ncaa will deal with letting the kids profit from their likeness.  it could be a legitimate decision for some kids whether it is better to build their brand (as well as general development) by going to a big school and being able to make money there.

it will be interesting (as noted on dunc'd on) how the ncaa will deal with letting the kids profit from their likeness.  it could be a legitimate decision for some kids whether it is better to build their brand (as well as general development) by going to a big school and being able to make money there.
I don't expect the NCAA to budge much TBH. Maybe they give the kids "an allowance". I just don't think these elite kids that have no desire at 18/19 to be in school should take less than what they can get elsewhere (overpriced college vs. being able to get 125k-1mil+ in deals in G League/overseas)

March Madness will sell itself. Schools have agreements with apparel providers. It's in their best interest to have "the programs" be the draw and not the players.

I agree with what you posted above (re: NBA individual game vs. NCAA team sport)

What would be some examples of this? 

Like video games?
Yep, and advertisements.  The latter would be the big revenue source for the marquee players.  So a guy like Zion might forgo the ~$1 million or whatever he can get in the G-League, for the prospect that playing at Duke will raise his national profile, and he could get a multimillion dollar deal pitching Kias or something like that.

I've been away so forgive me for being behind here. I was suspended for a month and then my mom tested positive and I was quarantined from work for two weeks (She's fine now I go back to work on Tues) but I got a positive news about Chicago getting rid of Forman and Paxson with Karnisova's appointment. I love when Chicgo is doing here though. 

Chicago Bulls newly hired VP Arturas Karnisovas "To Do List" moving forward:

1. Clear out the trash
2. Fire Gar Forman, Hire A Respectable GM
3. Fire Jim Boylen
4. Replace & upgrade all coaches/scouts
5. Begin the process of restoring respect around the NBA with this franchise.

#4 is a huge thing the Sixers should've done when they went through their rebuild. For yrs I've been arguing with people the 76ers have one of the worst in the NBA. From a new day league perspective they are still well behind given that many of their scouts are old school and not saber metrics guys. Theres still good use for the old guard in some ways but NBA teams need to start clearing house on the old guard and old ideas. This is a new league. The total process CHICAGO is doing from a full house cleaning (Besides selling the team) is something Philly should've done. 

Don't be surprised if and when Brett Brown is let go Ben Simmons is behind shortly. The worst thing to happen to the 76ers is Jimmy Butler not staying. The team needed him more then he needed them. Thats not a good look for future FA. This isn't a post to rip the Sixers as some might think. More so of showing that changing a owner, GM and Coach and putting in new pieces is only part of the solution. You need to revamp everything from the top to the bottom including scouting. Bring in people who are all on the same page in terms of what they want. They may have different ideas on player fits but at the very least the same concept.This isn't just for the Sixers but a lot of teams. Sixers plan was to make the minimum changes in office and hope to get lucky. There seemed to be zero plan. The next 2-3 yrs will be telling for the 76ers if their plan worked or Not IMHO but so far it doesn't look any different from success wise then what they had before any changes. 

If you really want to make full sale changes firing the coach sometimes works but if you go and fire the GM you better be taking a look at the scouting department and people who were around the last GM. Everything besides selling the team is not off limits. Change scouts if their philosophies don't fit etc. Chicago and Arturas Karnisovas are doing just that. Revamping this organization in Chicago from top to bottom. I haven't been this excited about this team in a long time. I'm excited for what the future holds here. 

LOT of people going to be pissed at the idiocy of Gobert. 

The dude is an idiot. I'm late to this but Jesus this guy really ruined any locker room relationship and trust that he had left. If I'm Jazz players I refuse to stay with this team after the year (Whenever that is now) until this clown is gone. He put a lot of people at risk here. 

Josh Harris is a piece of ####. He's laying off workers and cutting salaries of those that make over $50k for the Sixers and Devils. This after he just raised season tickets by 60%.  Oh by the way, he's worth $3.8b. 

I think I'm done with the sixers. I never liked the guy but I figured all owners suck so who cares. This guy is just evil. How can I root for a team with that guy at the top? 
Are you surprised though. I've been calling this guy a fraud from Day 1 but people were just calling me a Sixers hater. The guy is bigger than scum. I'm glad he changed policy but no one should and from what I saw on Social media didn't pat him on the back when he changed his mind. he changed it after negative PR. This organization as a whole just keeps on doing the most negative thing to effect their PR status with fans and the league. If the Sixers don't get or win at least a Conference title fans won't be as forgiving with Harris and ownership as they've been. I give props for those who have stuck it out since the beginning defending these guys but there comes a point in time where eventually fans can't be patient any longer and will demand better results 

One of the silver linings of this whole thing is company values (or an owner's) are put on display for all to see. I know a few I will never buy from again, and many who I will look to buy from more.

A company's values/mission and how seriously they are taken has always played some role in buying decisions of course, but their significance has slowly been increasing for a while now and will only accelerate with the crisis. Long overdue in my opinion. 
Yep one of the good things is you can see where companies stand. Show their true colors. This has completely exposed them plus others that were fake from celebs, to politicians etc all across the board. 

Just be excellent, Jayrod...be excellent.
I made a not so excellent post on facebook I will not share here about this. I already spent over a month in FFG jail for something I posted in another thread. I'll just say I don't think there were many Knick fans who decided to be excellent and for good reason 

it seems like the culture of the kings might be generally broken, though, considering how much internal turmoil has existed over multiple regimes
Yeah Dave Joeager (SP) was apparently fired after voicing his displeasure at the Kings for not drafting Doncic. I like any coach he wants to lose his job to get that guy on my team. Didn't seem like a terrible coach. I haven't followed the Kings religiously in Years but since the Maloofs sold the team it's gone further south New Arena I heard is awesome but other then that not much else positive 

Craig_MiamiFL said:
I don't expect the NCAA to budge much TBH. Maybe they give the kids "an allowance". I just don't think these elite kids that have no desire at 18/19 to be in school should take less than what they can get elsewhere (overpriced college vs. being able to get 125k-1mil+ in deals in G League/overseas)

March Madness will sell itself. Schools have agreements with apparel providers. It's in their best interest to have "the programs" be the draw and not the players.

I agree with what you posted above (re: NBA individual game vs. NCAA team sport)
I always liked my idea of using the Baseball type draft. If a Kid is 18 by the start of the NBA regular season they should be able to chose NBA over College. If you go to college stay for 3 yrs. Tuition should include your classes, plus books (doesn't include this or meals), meals, housing and free tutoring. You can also get a job part time as long as it doesn't effect your academics or your play (NCAA has seemed to ban these athletes from even getting part time jobs at their local bookstores, fast food chain, restaurants, bussing tables etc.). You should be able to participant in combine and interviews and then have NBA people tell you where you project. After that Kids as long as they didn't hire an agent should be allowed to make a decision to either attend college or go back to school for their SR year. I also feel 3 yrs also weeds out those athletes who are pretenders who had 1 or 2 hot seasons in NCAA and then fail in the NBA. Also if they want to profit off of autograph signings or something allow them. let them like independent wrestlers sell their own merchandise online if they want to. 

Capella said:
People root for the jersey, not the player, with the rare exception of somebody Ike Zion. 

That said, pay the damn players. 
No these days most of the younger crowd roots for the player not the teams. Gone are the days of your home team is your favorite team. Younger fans follower the player and loyal to them not the jersey. This became more of a reality when Lebron entered the league and left for the Heat then back with the Heat before going to LA. Or fans just decided to root for whatever team was popular. We older guys might be loyal to the Jersey but the younger millennial crowd will follow player over team even their local team especially if they are bad. 

Long Ball Larry said:
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/ncaa-will-allow-athletes-to-profit-from-their-own-name-and-likeness

The NCAA's ruling opens the door for athletes to appear in commercials, advertisements and video games and receive compensation for their work. It would also presumably allow athletes to make money off player-specific merchandise that some schools already sell.
This opens up the door for NCAA Football/Basketball video games to return as well. 

No these days most of the younger crowd roots for the player not the teams. Gone are the days of your home team is your favorite team. Younger fans follower the player and loyal to them not the jersey. This became more of a reality when Lebron entered the league and left for the Heat then back with the Heat before going to LA. Or fans just decided to root for whatever team was popular. We older guys might be loyal to the Jersey but the younger millennial crowd will follow player over team even their local team especially if they are bad. 
College 

College 
Youre in college? How old are you because I could've sworn you were older than me? or are you talking strictly college basketball here? If so most people stay truly loyal to their teams for the rare exception as you mentioned 

Youre in college? How old are you because I could've sworn you were older than me? or are you talking strictly college basketball here? If so most people stay truly loyal to their teams for the rare exception as you mentioned 
Talking about college fans. They pull for the jersey not the players. NBA fans are different. 

Also, in my 40s. 

Talking about college fans. They pull for the jersey not the players. NBA fans are different. 

Also, in my 40s. 
Ok I was confused there but definitely agree with you on that. Working in a grocery store you see first hand what the flavor of the day in sports is. 

I can’t believe the thread title hasn’t been updated to reference the Lakers being the only pro team applying for the small business bailout loan only to be properly shamed and give it back. @Capella

Multiple rival executives anticipate that the Bulls will replace Jim Boylen, according to Darnell Mayberry of The Athletic. 

Boylen is one of the most unpopular coaches among NBA fanbases, and it certainly makes sense that EVP Arturas Karnisovas will want to build the Bulls in his image to bring in his own coach. Per the report, Boylen is still working as if he’ll be in place next season. Considering that Karnisovas had said that the Bulls will want to prioritize player development, it's likely that Boylen will be gone before the start of the 2020-21 season.

SOURCE: The Athletic
:lol:  

I truly can't imagine any scenario where a new front office is brought in.......and they want to keep James ####### Boylen as the coach.

:lol:  

I truly can't imagine any scenario where a new front office is brought in.......and they want to keep James ####### Boylen as the coach.
Mayberry made a point in the article that the Bulls are still paying off Fred Hoiberg's contract, and they will have to do the same with Boylen, in addition to paying the salary for a brand new coach--all of this with a serious hit in generating revenue. 

It seems a foregone conclusion that Boylen and his time-clock are history, but maybe not. 

Users who are viewing this thread