What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (9 Viewers)

Respect the move. I can't even imagine the hate they are getting in their mentions on social media for this. Many of the Lions players got a ton of hate when they cancelled practice yesterday to speak out about the issue. 

Regardless of the righteousness of the Buck's boycott, I think the NBA has to call it a forfeit.  Otherwise we're going to see teams boycott games with no consequences for all sorts of reasons, including some that may be convenient to allow a star player to heal.   This can't happen.   Teams can't choose when they want to play or not.

I'm impressed with their action, but if they don't take the loss here and it's just a postponement, it doesn't mean a whole lot.
I am fine with however the NBA goes here.

But, I think many NBA players just might be willing to walk out of the bubble altogether.

And, where does that leave the NBA?  Its a delicate balance, that nobody is quite prepared to figure out in an instance.

And, if we are talking about forfeits, we are missing the bigger picture here - America is coming apart at the seams.  We need to figure out how to address some very serious issues without simply paying lip service. 

No doubt, the situations officers are often in are extremely difficult.

Kenosha police do NOT have body cameras, so no video in that regard will be released (but they do have microphones - unsure of details with that in this case).

A police officer shot a man seven times in the back.  A person without a weapon.  That's a tough position to defend.

It's possible.  I'd say unlikely, but you never know how this situation plays out and that's now a distinct possibility.
Reaching into the car for a possible weapon defying police orders is completely stupid and officers I believe have authority to shoot

There's WAY more positive mentions regarding this on social media than negative ones.
Good. There was with the Lions too but we create our own little bubbles. I wouldn't be following the type of people who would hate tweet. But I saw a lot of the players responding back and expressing frustration with some of the really nasty things said. 

From twitter - 

Rockets-OKC players are planning to boycott Game 5 of their series, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

---

As someone said, doubt another game will be played until the NBA does ... something. Not sure what that will be.
What can the NBA do?  I assume all they can do is wait for the players to say they’re ready. 

I can tell you the Bucks fans 100% have the players backs on this.
eh, i'd bet it's far, far, far less than 100%.

you have fans who quit watching and supporting the GREEN BAY PACKERS because players knelt.  

Wisconsinites care far less about the Bucks and this is a team quitting pre-game, not just kneeling.  social media is going to be ablaze with "i quit the NBA!" and "#### the Bucks!"

Serious question.  Has body camera video been released?  The only video I saw was him resisting arrest and walking to his car and reaching into his car.  Hardly a public execution.  If he just complied with officers he would have been just fine. 

There are videos of situations like this where the guy takes a gun out of car and shoots police officers.  Tough situation for cops to be in.
UGH

I am going to take a guess here - but I don't think the Bucks' players really care about a W or L.
Like hell they don't.  It's a bold move for sure, but if they packed up to go home and boycott the rest of the season then I'd agree.  But they won't, nor will the league count the game as a loss.  It's actually an absolute no risk move.  

If they really don't care, then they will leave the bubble.

What can the NBA do?  I assume all they can do is wait for the players to say they’re ready. 
I think they can be more aggressive than that. I know they have been pro-active in messaging. But maybe they start a lobbying effort? Or a charitable effort? 

I'm not totally sure - completely spitballing. But I bet the NBA can team with the players to form ... some organization that helps.

I don't know how that is even a comparison.  Are the protests in the streets meaningless just because they didn't miss out on anything?  But if a protester skipped work and missed out on money then suddenly it was effective?  People are listening.... change isn't going to happen 'more' if they are given a loss. 
What is the message that you send by postponing a game for a couple days?   "I'm not willing to take a loss over this issue, but I will cause some logistical problems?"   

If they take the loss or end the season, it means something.  If all they do is play in a day or two, it's a nice gesture but pretty meaningless.

Who cares if it's a no risk move?  Does taking a stance and bringing attention to the issue count LESS just because the protester doesn't suffer?????
uh.....it doesn't count less.  But making a stand that involves zero risk absolutely is not the same thing as taking a stand with a high degree of risk to your own situation.  Like him or not, Kaep took his stance with a very high degree of risk.  Tommie Smith and John Carlos took a lot of risk in the 68 Olympics.

This boycott is not the same as those two.  They have no risk at all in doing it.  Now if they pack up and leave the bubble, then they have sacrificed for a cause.  As of now, there is no sacrifice.  

I agree with the boycott.

Failing to comply with police orders shouldn’t be a death sentence, it seems like this has to be reiterated every single time.  :shrug:
Unfortunately some people are tone deaf to situations. its easy when you can afford a lawyer and white to say just listen to the cops and then if anything happens handle it latter. However when you are a minority in a poor neighborhood cops know they can toe or cross the line. Cops know they can't pull their BS in a rich neighborhood as they can lose their badge and gun messing with the wrong person. Going into a poor neighborhood where you can't afford a lawyer they know they can press some BS charges or lie about incidents. It'd be nice if lawmakers though didn't make laws that basically targeted the poor and minorities though that allow corrupt cops to allow them to be themselves. It's amazing we still have to talk about these situations though in this country but it doesn't surprise me anymore. 

I hope this starts real change though 

🤔

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt·24m

Forfeiture by @Bucks comes exactly four years to the day of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee for the first time.

Interesting factoid

Having a really hard time following either lines of thought here.  Let's say the protest was simply for a higher voter turnout.  Do you think someone who normally wouldn't vote, would go out to vote if the Bucks got the L?  But wouldn't if they just postponed the game?  C'mon.

This is a huge statement they made... the result of their stand on this isn't going to change based on the NBA's decision here.  Protesters don't need to suffer or lose anything in order for their stance to mean anything.  That's ridiculous.
I didn't say that.  In fact I actually said "it doesn't count less".   And a protest with no sacrifice can have impact.   The team taking a no risk stance on an important social issue is truly a noble thing to do. 

But in no way is it the same thing as taking a stand when there is risk to your personal situation.  What truly gets most peoples attention is people who take a stance where there is some degree of risk and personal sacrifice involved.

I support the cause and their boycott, but sorry for me it's just a little hollow if they get back on the court and try to win a championship over the coming weeks.  The NBA as a whole has done a wonderful job addressing the BLM movement and social justice issues, and I believe, they also see that it will not be a negative impact to their bottom line.

However, when it comes to China, where there are far greater human rights concerns they run with a tail between their legs just because one executive tweeted "Fight for Freedom, Stand with Hong Kong".  Nearly everyone backtracked including the league stars who wanted nothing to do with the issue.  Why?  Not because they didn't agree with Morey or the issue.  They were protecting league revenues.

So yeah...get with me when a player/team makes a sacrifice that negatively impacts their personal situation then I'll see it as a stronger stance.

I'm unsure if they will make more of a stand cancelling the season or using the season to spread the message.  Not saying that to hint at either side, I'm honestly not sure.
In 10 years when people look at the recordbooks and there is no champion for 2020, they'll talk about the season that was ended to protest police brutality.

In 10 years when people look at the recordbooks and see that the Clippers won in 7, they aren't going to say, "oh, yeah, that's the year where a couple of game 5's were delayed by 48 hours."

caustic said:
Woj says all games are postponed and game 5 of each series will be rescheduled.

DJackson10 said:
NBA just said they postponed all the games. 

This is where it gets interesting.  The NBA needs an exit strategy for these boycotts, and they will need the players to sign-off before games start up again.  

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Emotions are raw, players were already worn out of bubble environment prior to the Jacob Blake shooting and sources say discussions within teams are ongoing about postponing tomorrow's three games too -- and beyond. "The season is in jeopardy," one vet player here tells ESPN.

4:56 PM · Aug 26, 2020

Emotions are raw, players were already worn out of bubble environment prior to the Jacob Blake shooting and sources say discussions within teams are ongoing about postponing tomorrow's three games too -- and beyond. "The season is in jeopardy," one vet player here tells ESPN.

SMH

Just end the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is kind of what I was thinking - this has been such a long and awkward season, that the players may just be tired of it all.

This is where it gets interesting.  The NBA needs an exit strategy for these boycotts, and they will need the players to sign-off before games start up again.  
Woo just reported an 8PM meeting between the players left in the bubble and League tonight. Vet players told WOj "Season is in jeopardy." 

It’s not why, I think that’s just a contributing factor. They feel trapped in this bubble while things are going outside that they can’t be a part of. 
That makes sense. They'll need to be pretty careful with their messaging to ensure the "they're just tired of being in the bubble" narrative doesn't creep into the spin from the boycott/cancellation.

Interesting that news organizations are saying the Brewers are "postponing" their game, but the NBA teams are "boycotting."   Since NBA players are business partners in the league, they aren't "boycotting" anything by postponing games to a later date.   You can't boycott yourself.  

Discussions of not playing by MLB teams is more WC games as A few east coast games have already started or been played today. 

Wow Kenny Smith just walked off the set 

Tim Bontemps

@TimBontemps

Kenny Smith just said he doesn't feel equipped to be on Inside The NBA tonight, and, standing in solidarity with the players who chose not to play today, just walked off the set.

Go ahead and cancel the rest of the season
That might very well happen.  Optically how does it look if they just picked up and started playing tomorrow or over the weekend--or next week?  By boycotting today--I think the cancellation of the season very much comes into play because there is no optically good time to just start playing again.   Will players be okay just sitting in the bubble indefinitely until they figure out the right moment to play again? I don't think thats likely.  

Woo just reported an 8PM meeting between the players left in the bubble and League tonight. Vet players told WOj "Season is in jeopardy." 
I think the coaches are going to have to carry the load here of convincing the players to play. Doc Rivers' answer last night about it was a good start. I think they will have to pound that message home.

Users who are viewing this thread