What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (5 Viewers)

coyote5 said:
I read this and can't help but feel that neither of you understand how to use the phrase "better than advertised" appropriately  :lmao:
I think him using it wrong is tainting me. I do think his strengths are better than advertised - he was supposed to be a decent to good defender, have great court vision, be awesome on the break, be an elite rebounder - he's delivered there.

I guess I still don’t understand this. Dallas is taking on like 150% of the salary back.
Dallas has cap space to take on more than it sends out. In your Miami trade, the salary going to Washington exceeds that of Beal and Wall going out. Washington doesn't have the space to take in excess salary.

Dallas has cap space to take on more than it sends out. In your Miami trade, the salary going to Washington exceeds that of Beal and Wall going out. Washington doesn't have the space to take in excess salary.
I get the Miami one, but it says that Dallas can take on 125% of the salaries, but they are taking on a lot more than that.  Or do they have an additional cushion from the cap space?

im sure everyone finds this fascinating....

Ok, I guess I see at least part of it.  From cbafaq 

“Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't finish more than $100,000 above the salary cap following any trade.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucks just unloaded Snell. That's not good news for the Eastern Conference teams assuming that Milwaukee wouldn't be able to keep all their key guys.

Nice.

The Chicago Bulls are expected to be aggressive to sign a PG in free agency if they do not draft Darius Garland or Coby White tomorrow, per KC Johnson. 

The Bulls believe they can land a top level restricted free agent at the right price. Both D’Angelo Russell and Malcolm Brogdon are now being linked to the Bulls. Russell isn’t expected to return to the Nets as Kyrie Irving is set to sign with Brooklyn, per The Athletic.

They also have serious interest in moving up for Garland in the draft and are one of the most aggressive trying to trade for NO #4 pick per league sources

Bulls are also looking into bring back an old Friend in Big Taj Gibson. Would be a solid vet presence and it's better back up then Felicio. I'd take him if he came cheap. He won't complain about his role either

Darnell Mayberry (The Athletic) calls Wendell Carter Jr. the steal of the draft: “Carter can guard multiple positions, protect the rim and hold his own in switching schemes. He’s got a soft shooting touch. He can finish with both hands around the basket. He has potential to be a terror in the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop. He’s a very good passer, with impressive vision and timing to find the open man. And he will run the floor for easy points in transition. He’s a legitimate two-way threat.”

In other news and the best news we'll have all NBA Offseason. ESPN after Monday's incident have banned LAVAR BALL FROM ALL ESPN PLATFORMS OF COMING ON. 

Per Richard Deitch 

More

There will be no LaVar Ball on any ESPN platform heading forward — at least as of now. Asked if Ball will be used as an on-air guest, an on-the-record source for digital, or a background source for ESPN, an ESPN spokesperson said,"We have no plans moving forward."

Bucks just unloaded Snell. That's not good news for the Eastern Conference teams assuming that Milwaukee wouldn't be able to keep all their key guys.

Nice.
They don’t save much this year but will for the year after.  I still don’t think they can sign Lopez and will pass on Mirotic.  I continue to believe they’ll match any offer to Brogdon. 

They don’t save much this year but will for the year after.  I still don’t think they can sign Lopez and will pass on Mirotic.  I continue to believe they’ll match any offer to Brogdon. 
Bucks GM already made it sound like Lopez is a done deal. Apparently the effort to shed Snell's contract was so they'd be able to match any Brogdon offer sheet. I think Mirotic is a goner as well.

coyote5 said:
I read this and can't help but feel that neither of you understand how to use the phrase "better than advertised" appropriately  :lmao:
You are correct in that I read what he wrote improperly.  I read what he wrote very quickly and incorrectly interpreted that he wrote that lonzo's strengths are over emphasized while his weaknesses are underemphasized.  That's certainly not what he wrote--and I stand corrected for reading it quickly incorrectly.  Nice catch.  

Long Ball Larry said:
the contract is kind of an eye of the beholder thing and certainly had something to do with limiting the suitors, but on balance, i don't think that it is that bad.  For a team looking to contend now and not having to get saddled with some 5-year deal, it is pretty good.
Agreed.  I think the deal definitely makes sense for the Jazz--and I think that Memphis did the right thing by moving him and his contract.  They are so far from being a contender that they really need to focus on getting young players and developing them.   I do thnk that if Conleys contract was less expensive--they would have multiple teams offering them far more than what they got---but under the circumstances---both parties got what they wanted. 

Marks is saying they’ll have $14m in cap room to offer Lopez, which will probably be enough for him. 

Horford linked to Mavs, Lakers, Rockets, and Sixers?

Sign Butler and Horford and let Harris walk? What would that leave them to pay JJ or another free agent?

Horford is the type of player that would be a good fit just about anywhere, not only on the court but off it as well. His stats don't always jump off the stat sheet but seeing him play up close for the past few years you could really see the value he brings. I don't think his age is really a huge factor with the way he plays either so 4 years really shouldn't be a problem IMO. Sorry to see him leave, someone will be getting a real class act, quiet leader and a very versatile player. 

Boston is trying to move out Baynes to free up salary cap space.
idiotic. guy opts in 3 days ago when he could probably get years or fill lineup for one of these Starball consortiums and Traitor Danny makes him regret it before the week is out. and he's white. Ainge is like the fantasy owner who's fine w losing all his leagues as long as he wins all his trades.

idiotic. guy opts in 3 days ago when he could probably get years or fill lineup for one of these Starball consortiums and Traitor Danny makes him regret it before the week is out. and he's white. Ainge is like the fantasy owner who's fine w losing all his leagues as long as he wins all his trades.
It looks like Baynes is in the way if the Celtics want to have a max salary slot available.  I think it's the right move although I'm not sure who the Celtics should target.  

Edit:  How good would Kemba look in green?!

It looks like Baynes is in the way if the Celtics want to have a max salary slot available.  I think it's the right move although I'm not sure who the Celtics should target.  
yeah, an African-American ballplayer is gonna sign in cold, nitelifeless Boston after Kyrie stirred the drink so bad over Gordo that it's too much for Al frikkin Horford. Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Vucevic!!

In terms of rules and procedures, how does it work in terms of being considered “under the cap?” For example, could the Celtics be considered under the cap by signing a free agent and then match a contract offer for Rozier, even if they go over the cap? Does the league assign a place holder salary for Rozier for under the cap purposes?

In terms of rules and procedures, how does it work in terms of being considered “under the cap?” For example, could the Celtics be considered under the cap by signing a free agent and then match a contract offer for Rozier, even if they go over the cap? Does the league assign a place holder salary for Rozier for under the cap purposes?
Rozier has a $9 million cap hold.  If they want to use that money to sign another free agent with cap space, they'd have to renounce him.  That would mean he'd be an unrestricted free agent and the Celtics could only use cap space or exceptions to sign him (which wouldn't seem pausible).

I like this trade for the Pistons. Snell seems like a solid if unspectacular rotation piece and they get an extra pick out of it.
As a Lobo fan, i wish i could recommend, but.............. He must practice real hard or sumn. He's ona those guys who hangs around the 3pt line cuz he's got no usable skillz (how can a zone defender avg less than half a steal?!) so they throw him the ball when his man has doubled them. He shoots like one of Ray Allen's hangovers and plays that steppy-wavy defense from high school.

Rozier has a $9 million cap hold.  If they want to use that money to sign another free agent with cap space, they'd have to renounce him.  That would mean he'd be an unrestricted free agent and the Celtics could only use cap space or exceptions to sign him (which wouldn't seem pausible).
Let's say Boston goes out and signs someone and is under the cap with Rozier penciled in at $9 million. Another team offers Rozier $20 million a year and Boston decides to match (both unlikely, but let's just go with it). So even though they were under the $109 million cap number initially by adding the unnamed free agent (with Rozier allocated at $9 million), now they are at $120 million (with Rozier now at $20 million). Would that fly with the league in terms of being "under the cap" and could they keep the guy they signed as a free agent? Or do you have to either re-sign/match contract offers for your RFA's BEFORE you can sign a free agent?

Let's say Boston goes out and signs someone and is under the cap with Rozier penciled in at $9 million. Another team offers Rozier $20 million a year and Boston decides to match (both unlikely, but let's just go with it). So even though they were under the $109 million cap number initially by adding the unnamed free agent (with Rozier allocated at $9 million), now they are at $120 million (with Rozier now at $20 million). Would that fly with the league in terms of being "under the cap" and could they keep the guy they signed as a free agent? Or do you have to either re-sign/match contract offers for your RFA's BEFORE you can sign a free agent?
It flies. 

The order of how transactions are officially finalized is an enormous consideration in the NBA.

Yes, that would work as long as they officially sign the free agent before matching. Timing matters. If they matched beforehand, the $20 million would replace the $9 cap hold.

Edit: Note that nobody can officially sign until July 6.  They just verbally agree starting June 30.  Then, there would be a 3 day matching window for the restricted free agent.  That would leave plenty of time for the Celtics to time things in the proper order.

Knicks working out Coby White now.

They are likely either smoke screening or looking to trade down.

Horford linked to Mavs, Lakers, Rockets, and Sixers?

Sign Butler and Horford and let Harris walk? What would that leave them to pay JJ or another free agent?
That's a lot of money for a backup center. Unless they consider him as the 4. 

On the other hand I do like it just taking away a tough opponent for Joel and also have him give Joel tips on what he does so effective to stop him. 

That's a lot of money for a backup center. Unless they consider him as the 4. 

On the other hand I do like it just taking away a tough opponent for Joel and also have him give Joel tips on what he does so effective to stop him. 
I think he starts at the 4 if they lose Harris. 

Yea I know. But you know the lakers are trying to figure it out 
(Pelinka phones Silver)

Pelinka: I have some ideas on how to get another max salary on this roster so LeBron loosens the grip he has on my balls, but I need your help.

Silver: Okay, go on.

Pelinka: Can you raise the salary cap?

Silver:  :mellow:

Pelinka: Can I change the years in the Deng stretch provision from 2019 and 2020 to 2020 and 2021?

Pelinka: Can you veto the AD trade?

Pelinka: Stern would have done it!

Pelinka: Well, I'm out of ideas.

Silver: Then you're ####ed.

(Pelinka phones Silver)

Pelinka: I have some ideas on how to get another max salary on this roster so LeBron loosens the grip he has on my balls, but I need your help.

Silver: Okay, go on.

Pelinka: Can you raise the salary cap?

Pelinka: Can I change the years in the Deng stretch provision from 2019 and 2020 to 2020 and 2021?

Pelinka: Can you veto the AD trade?

Pelinka: Stern would have done it!

Pelinka: Well, I'm out of ideas.

Silver: Then you're ####ed.
you forgot "Can you find a way to get Chris Paul to us? Come'on, you have done that before with him." 

Duncan and Leroux ranked their top 12 prospects on this morning's pod, some interesting choices in here - in particular, they really do not like Culver:

Nate Duncan:

Tier 1

Zion Williamson

Tier 2

Ja Morant

Tier 3

Darius Garland

Coby White

Tier 4

Sekou Doumbouya

RJ Barrett

Bol Bol

Deandre Hunter

Tier 5

Nassir Little

Cam Reddish

Jaxson Hayes

Jarrett Culver

Danny Leroux

Tier 1

Zion Williamson

Tier 2

Ja Morant

Tier 3

Darius Garland

Coby White

Tier 4

Deandre Hunter

RJ Barrett

Sekou Doumbouya

Cam Reddish

Nassir Little

Bol Bol

Jarrett Culver

Jaxson Hayes

Woj is hinting at a flurry of draft day trades, saying that the NBA record of 13 first round trades might be challenged tomorrow night.
If this is the case, I’m going to follow along on Twitter.  It takes them too long to announce trades on TV.  (Nobody worry, though, I won’t spoil things here.)

Duncan and Leroux ranked their top 12 prospects on this morning's pod, some interesting choices in here - in particular, they really do not like Culver:

Nate Duncan:

Tier 1

Zion Williamson

Tier 2

Ja Morant

Tier 3

Darius Garland

Coby White

Tier 4

Sekou Doumbouya

RJ Barrett

Bol Bol

Deandre Hunter

Tier 5

Nassir Little

Cam Reddish

Jaxson Hayes

Jarrett Culver

Danny Leroux

Tier 1

Zion Williamson

Tier 2

Ja Morant

Tier 3

Darius Garland

Coby White

Tier 4

Deandre Hunter

RJ Barrett

Sekou Doumbouya

Cam Reddish

Nassir Little

Bol Bol

Jarrett Culver

Jaxson Hayes
It seems Doumbouya is rising and virtually everyone seems to like him.  Apparently the Bulls are considering him. I’m not crazy about him from the video I’ve watched but what do I know?

Little bits of draft day gossip:

Jeremy Woo‏ @JeremyWoo

There has been persistent chatter in league circles over the past few days linking the Spurs to Georgian center Goga Bitadze. The feeling is that they may have to trade up in order to draft him. The Spurs currently hold Nos. 19 and 29 in the first round.

8:34 AM - 20 Jun 2019

Jonathan Wasserman‏ @NBADraftWass

Hearing from teams who believe Darius Bazley is going somewhere in the 20s, won't make it to the 2nd round

8:10 AM - 20 Jun 2019

Jake Fischer‏ @JakeLFischer

There’s an ongoing flurry of trade discussion regarding picks 20-23, league sources say, with teams like Golden State, Brooklyn, Sacramento, Dallas and San Antonio expressing interest to move up into that range.

9:39 AM - 20 Jun 2019

I'm wondering if the last two tweets are related - the Nets in particular are reportedly big fans of Bazley.

It seems Doumbouya is rising and virtually everyone seems to like him.  Apparently the Bulls are considering him. I’m not crazy about him from the video I’ve watched but what do I know?
Duncan & Leroux liked his jumpshot and feel for the game, also gave him credit for earning minutes on a decent pro team as a teenager. Obviously his age is a big plus too, won't turn 19 until December. I'm never blown away with Euroleague tape, even with top prospects like Doncic, since it seems like the competition is so much weaker than the NBA. I'd make a pretty lousy scout.

Users who are viewing this thread