Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NBA 2k20 cover released

Well folks, it's your favorite time of year - that's right, it's time for Caustic's second annual mock draft! Putting it in spoilers here as to not clutter up the thread - Go Nets. 

Well, bye.

23 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Does Steven A. have the pulse of the players or is this a ratings thing?

A little of both.  Mainly was talking about fans and fans lack of interest. Also the players lack of interest in actually playing right now.

Said season probably should not have been restarted as many of the players did not want to return to a bubble type environment  in the middle of summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, modogg said:

ehh. i'm glad Bucks did this without Lebron at involved. All of this standing up is nice, but when some of the hypocrisy comes in he is hurting the overall message. You can't get away with praising the Chinese government and downplaying the plight of its people, but come out now as a holier then thou guy. Guy is out for his own self-interest majority of the time. If that is the way he chooses to live his life, fine, but don't come out now like you are this champion for the people

I agree this is where I always hated Lebron. He does stuff for his self interest. Hey some of the stuff is nice but I feel he does it just to brag about it which is what we talked about earlier of guys not bragging. He looks like a hypocrite after the Chinese stuff though. I think he feels like since he's the face of the NBA he should be let known of this stuff. I disagree. If he's the NBAPA players leader then I can see where he'd be mad here but he isn't.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

For the draft this year, I think Onyeka Okongwu might be underrated.  Although a bit undersized, he otherwise seems to have great potential.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls end up picking him as BPA at 4.

Guy from Tel Aviv might be the pick but I'm biased and want them to trade back and get Sadiq Bey from Villanova. He's what we need at WING and could replace Porter. Good 3PT shooter and D already. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Sorry, but no. We're in our busiest time and we repeatedly asked for people to be cool and were repeatedly ignored. 

Just more curious then arguing here Joe but how can we talk NBA in this situation without the politics? I thought for the most part the Usual posters who frequent the thread have been doing a good job with being cool and respecting everyones opinions. For example I had zero issue with @shader asking what the players goal was in this. He was trying to get more information and see what their end goal is which I didn't mind and he was being respectful about it. Others were responding with ideas hat might go on. 

The biggest issue I think is the trolls who don't even frequent the thread who caused issues but after awhile everyone stopped and ignored them. I think the poster here are getting a disservice with this thread in the PF section. You essentially gave the trolls what they wanted. 

Again JMO and not a shot. I'm just generally curious on how we can talk about this NBA situation without the politics in the thread. Yes some of it was but other stuff was how could the season continue if teams didn't stay and what effect not playing might have on next season or their overall platform. Just generally curious how you want us to handle this to not cause any aggravation for the mods. 

However I guess it's better way to handle it then handing out suspensions to people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

The selfish sports fan in me (which we all have) is thrilled that hockey is moving forward and focusing on just the games. Those twitter trolls trashing the NHL for not following the NBA’s lead can go jump in a lake. 

Props again to the NBA players for taking this stance, but for those of us who still want some drama-free sports, the NHL is the way to go. Even more so than before. 

Disagree theres plenty of players minority wise in the NHL who aren't happy with the NHL. Evander Kane of the Sharks is one of the outspoken players (Honestly didn't realize he was black but he has the lighter version going similar to to a Kaep complextion). Others are pretty upset too and there were players who went after one of Kane's teammates along with fans for some tone deaf comments the player made. I think they were more upset with the "I have family who are cops" defense over the "I wish if I could I'd vote Republican" line. However we all know the NHL is always last in these issues. It doesn't happen often but there is extended racism by NHL fans to players. I still remember a preseason game for the Flyers up in Canada during a shoot out a few fans threw Bannanas on the ice. It was reprehensible. Some minority players have come out in the past admitting to hearing derogatory and racial slurs thrown their way from fans and other players. So its no surprise the NHL is last to the party. They have a huge racism problem it's just closet at this point. The reason its not shown is the very fact minorities and people of color are literally minorities in the NHL and you don't get many. But I bet you the first black player that is successful in the new few yrs (Wayne Simmonds black) and top 10 player the clowns will becoming out and showing just how much the NHL really doesn't care about the issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SWC said:

i heard on milwaukee sports talk yesterday that the magic to thier total credit almost immeidately said they would not accept a forfeit which i think rules by the magic take that to the bank bromigos 

Nice of the Magic. I know if I was in that situation on their side of things I wouldn't either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

and top 10 player the clowns will becoming out and showing just how much the NHL really doesn't care about the issue. 

PK Subban won the Norris. What are you talking about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Disagree theres plenty of players minority wise in the NHL who aren't happy with the NHL. Evander Kane of the Sharks is one of the outspoken players (Honestly didn't realize he was black but he has the lighter version going similar to to a Kaep complextion). Others are pretty upset too and there were players who went after one of Kane's teammates along with fans for some tone deaf comments the player made. I think they were more upset with the "I have family who are cops" defense over the "I wish if I could I'd vote Republican" line. However we all know the NHL is always last in these issues. It doesn't happen often but there is extended racism by NHL fans to players. I still remember a preseason game for the Flyers up in Canada during a shoot out a few fans threw Bannanas on the ice. It was reprehensible. Some minority players have come out in the past admitting to hearing derogatory and racial slurs thrown their way from fans and other players. So its no surprise the NHL is last to the party. They have a huge racism problem it's just closet at this point. The reason its not shown is the very fact minorities and people of color are literally minorities in the NHL and you don't get many. But I bet you the first black player that is successful in the new few yrs (Wayne Simmonds black) and top 10 player the clowns will becoming out and showing just how much the NHL really doesn't care about the issue. 

Please stay of of the NHL thread so it doesn't get sent to Siberia the Politics Forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caustic said:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The NBA's players have decided to resume the playoffs, source tells ESPN.

Today’s three playoff games will be postponed, discussion underway on when teams will resume play.

10:55 AM · Aug 27, 2020·

Honestly think them playing they lose some of the power they had. This also gives the idiots another thing of ammo for the scare propaganda of protesting doesn't work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rockaction said:

PK Subban won the Norris. What are you talking about?

I forgot about PK but he's also known as one of the dirtiest players in the league who head hunts people. That really doesn't help anyone. I'm talking about having someone like a Jerome Ignla type here. The Norris is voted on by Writers and teams not fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

I forgot about PK but he's also known as one of the dirtiest players in the league who head hunts people. That really doesn't help anyone. I'm talking about having someone like a Jerome Ignla type here. The Norris is voted on by Writers and teams not fans. 

I don't remember PK having that reputation at all. He's known for his enormous shot on the power play. But I guess you can make the point about the NHL. I don't agree and find most of the Canadian players at the higher levels of the sport to be both effacing and thoughtful (I knew them in college and played with them from the Junior B leagues). It's a generalization, but I didn't see any perniciously widespread racism, though it certainly rears its ugly head from time to time, just like in European soccer.

Dunno. It's not an issue I'm entirely comfortable putting my anchor down in, so I'll let you have it. 

Edited by rockaction
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

I agree. That's why we moved it here. 

I appreciate the response and answer. Again not arguing about it I was just generally curious how you guys wanted us to handle this situation in terms of discussion/debate. Again I do appreciate the effort and and understanding the situation where you guys aren't suspending people for it. So I get it best case scenario for everyone. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Disagree theres plenty of players minority wise in the NHL who aren't happy with the NHL. Evander Kane of the Sharks is one of the outspoken players (Honestly didn't realize he was black but he has the lighter version going similar to to a Kaep complextion). Others are pretty upset too and there were players who went after one of Kane's teammates along with fans for some tone deaf comments the player made. I think they were more upset with the "I have family who are cops" defense over the "I wish if I could I'd vote Republican" line. However we all know the NHL is always last in these issues. It doesn't happen often but there is extended racism by NHL fans to players. I still remember a preseason game for the Flyers up in Canada during a shoot out a few fans threw Bannanas on the ice. It was reprehensible. Some minority players have come out in the past admitting to hearing derogatory and racial slurs thrown their way from fans and other players. So its no surprise the NHL is last to the party. They have a huge racism problem it's just closet at this point. The reason its not shown is the very fact minorities and people of color are literally minorities in the NHL and you don't get many. But I bet you the first black player that is successful in the new few yrs (Wayne Simmonds black) and top 10 player the clowns will becoming out and showing just how much the NHL really doesn't care about the issue. 

as with every facet of life, there is a small portion of idiots.  but don’t throw the nhl under the bus, the league is predominantly canadian and european still.  i mean, boston is likely more racist in every sport than the nhl.  i remember mlb players having run ins with fans.  nfl always has issues pop up.  the nba too.  nhl has what, less than 10 AAs playing?  europeans barely understand our culture, asking for a russian to boycott hockey games due to an american issue is tricky.  there are euros in the nba, but the league must be 80-85% AA.  i would guess the nhl is what, 25-30% american born players?  they care about the issue as much as foreigners can be expected to care i suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I don't remember PK having that reputation at all. He's known for his enormous shot on the power play. But I guess you can make the point about the NHL. I don't agree and find most of the Canadian players at the higher levels of the sport to be both effacing and thoughtful (I knew them in college and played with them from the Junior B leagues). It's a generalization, but I didn't see any perniciously widespread racism, though it certainly rears its ugly head from time to time, just like in European soccer.

Dunno. It's not an issue I'm entirely comfortable putting my anchor down in, so I'll let you have it. 

Not saying its a Canadien issue as much more it's more an American thing. Here it's known as the rich person sport because the only people who can afford to play hockey are those with some money or a kid with talent who gets sponsored by a team or scholarship of sorts. I don't know how they handle youth programs and sectors there but here in the US if you aren't rich you are mortgaging your home. My Dad's best friend in HS had a son who played youth hockey in South jersey. South Jersey is where a lot of the Flyers live  as well. He played with Hextall's son in a young league and I think Therian's kid or something similar. His dad works for the local electric company. His son is a week younger then me played until job got in way then he coached before he couldn't do that (Works with the Jersey Electrical company like his dad but he does Gas and his dad Electrical) and I remember had he not been as good he'd have had to quit the sport all together. 

Subban in Flyer country is known as a pretty dirty player. He's head hunted our Captian before among other incidents. He's had cheap shot elbow on Nathan McKinnon of Col among others as well. It's unfortunate great player plus a minority but he's gotten a reputation around the league for his antics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DJackson10 said:

 but here in the US if you aren't rich you are mortgaging your home.

It absolutely is a wealthy person's sport in the United States because of the cost of ice time and equipment. It's outrageous, now even more than when I was growing up. You're right about that. But wealth doesn't really correspond to overt racism if you ask me. The poor and uncultured are more likely to express overtly racist sentiments in my experience. Now the institutional racism we talk about and hear so much of might benefit and be perpetuated by the wealthy, but I think we're talking about public perception and racial incidents, which tend to fester in the lower classes and the unrefined.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

as with every facet of life, there is a small portion of idiots.  but don’t throw the nhl under the bus, the league is predominantly canadian and european still.  i mean, boston is likely more racist in every sport than the nhl.  i remember mlb players having run ins with fans.  nfl always has issues pop up.  the nba too.  nhl has what, less than 10 AAs playing?  europeans barely understand our culture, asking for a russian to boycott hockey games due to an american issue is tricky.  there are euros in the nba, but the league must be 80-85% AA.  i would guess the nhl is what, 25-30% american born players?  they care about the issue as much as foreigners can be expected to care i suppose.

I'm gonna call BS here to an extent. You are forgetting there's Europeans who play in the MLS. Yes it's more black then the NHL white Europeans but it doesn't mean they don't care. Also this isn't just an American issue. Russia has their own secrete police who kills people at anti Putin rallies. I think if any group of players would understand Americans right now it'd be Russian players but they are probably so scared to speak out because of family back home and such. Look what happened to Enes Kantar for speaking out against his own government. Turkey voided his passport so he can't even travel to Canada to play against the Raptors, and he literally has to call the FBI in eery city to set up an alarm system at his hotel or home because he's afraid of the Turkish government trying to kidnap and kill him. I think some of these guys want to speak out but also can't do to whats happening in their own countries though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It absolutely is a wealthy person's sport in the United States because of the cost of ice time and equipment. It's outrageous, now even more than when I was growing up. You're right about that. But wealth doesn't really correspond to overt racism if you ask me. The poor and uncultured are more likely to express overtly racist sentiments in my experience. Now the institutional racism we talk about and hear so much of might benefit and be perpetuated by the wealthy, but I think we're talking about public perception and racial incidents, which tend to fester in the lower classes and the unrefined.

I agree with that definitely. More so saying theres idiots everywhere. I just don't think the NHL should go unchecked just because there haven't been many incidents. There hasn't been because of fewer chances too show it as well. More minorities more chances of it happening as well. Also people are upset with the NHL because its more or less them ignoring the situation all together. It's not just a black issue (Despite many incidents involving blacks) but it happens to poor white people, people with mental issues the police escalate not being properly trained to handle them etc. BLM isn't just about Blacks but stopping police brutality in general. So yes the NHL should be doing their part here. I'm not saying the NHL needs to do this this and that and I'd be happy but with how they are handling it just reaks of hey its not our problem we'll just put out a lip service type statement and hope people are happy. Problem is people see right through that these days. You want to grow the popularity of your sport in America with minorities here's your chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

So yes the NHL should be doing their part here.

They certainly dedicated the beginning of when they began to play again to honor BLM, a move I actually disagreed with. They had a speaker talk before the first game about institutional racism and its attendant problems. They honored BLM in the pre-game, and then everybody played. They didn't ignore it at all.

They're not playing the playoffs tonight, either. Both games are cancelled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rockaction said:

They certainly dedicated the beginning of when they began to play again to honor BLM, a move I actually disagreed with. They had a speaker talk before the first game about institutional racism and its attendant problems. They honored BLM in the pre-game, and then everybody played. They didn't ignore it at all.

They're not playing the playoffs tonight, either. Both games are cancelled.

I just saw a friend post that they weren't playing games tonight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zigg said:

Start a new thread Cap, this isn’t salvageable.

When the league re-starts and with Joe’s blessing I will do so. No point in doing it today, will just attract the same crowd. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Capella said:

When the league re-starts and with Joe’s blessing I will do so. No point in doing it today, will just attract the same crowd. 

I kinda of miss busting on the lakers.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that has been here 23 years this is lame Joe, I get it your board your rules but perms banning people over a hot topic like this is ridiculous. It is Trump like with here is my ball and I’m taking it home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

As someone that has been here 23 years this is lame Joe, I get it your board your rules but perms banning people over a hot topic like this is ridiculous. It is Trump like with here is my ball and I’m taking it home. 

Who got permanently banned?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Don’t noonan

No idea what he did this time, but I'd wager if he was perma banned it was a "straw that broke the camel's back" type thing. He's certainly caused the mods enough grief over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

BREAKING: The NBA just announced that all basketball arenas will he turned into 2020 voting locations.

Ample space for large amounts of people to vote safely.
 

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍

 

now that’s getting things done 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Capella said:

BREAKING: The NBA just announced that all basketball arenas will he turned into 2020 voting locations.

Ample space for large amounts of people to vote safely.
 

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍

 

now that’s getting things done 

While that is great news I think one hindrance is the need to poll workers.  In Milwaukee local politicians only had 3 voting locations during the last election because there were not enough poll workers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fantasy_Freak said:

While that is great news I think one hindrance is the need to poll workers.  In Milwaukee local politicians only had 3 voting locations during the last election because there were not enough poll workers.  

I'm sure Covid has left a lot of people out of work who would gladly work that day???

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Fantasy_Freak said:

While that is great news I think one hindrance is the need to poll workers.  In Milwaukee local politicians only had 3 voting locations during the last election because there were not enough poll workers.  

Yeah because that bum LeBron doesn't do anything:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/lebron-james-poll-workers-vote-trnd/index.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good look for LBJ right now in anyway. At first when he left the meeting my first thought was just overall frustration. Then it came out he threw a hissy fit because the Bucks didn't inform him of what was going on sooner. Now Stephan A Smith has more. Wonder what this does at Lebron's chances of recruiting players to LAL in the future and his future rep.

Smith reports that players were turned off by Lebron James at the meeting. They felt he believed he was above the other NBA players. Speaking out of pocket, turning off some of the young players. Said young Players are not taking what Lebron is hearing. Basically came off as he has his and he doesn't care about what they wanted. Yesterday meeting held between players still in bubble with Silver and Owners of each team including Micheal Jordan who is a Chairman labor committee. 2 players per team but LAKER HAD 4. When they thought meeting was over Lebron grabs the mic. Lebron talks 15 in a fashion that turns everyone off talking about things already agreed too. Stephan A says Lebron says and I quote "I got to look out for the guys beneath me." Players told Smith, Woj others that they had no idea what he was saying came off as King. Came off as Galvinising More Then a Vote Movement. Talks how on his own show how he's alienating players and owners when he discussed on his show being an owner. Turning players, owners execs off. Coming across as big time and needs to be careful people have told Smith. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

BREAKING: The NBA just announced that all basketball arenas will he turned into 2020 voting locations.

Ample space for large amounts of people to vote safely.
 

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍

 

now that’s getting things done 

:thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

That is great to read.  I hope they do something ensure more/quicker polling locations.  In April Milwaukee had 5 polling locations normally they have 180.  Anything that can be done to aid in more people voting the better things will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Bucks players returned to the locker room, they turned to their owner for help to take action. He called the WI. state house as they discussed a police reform bill. By nightfall, the governor was calling for a special vote on it.
 

Update: The vote has formally been scheduled. An NBA team threatened to go on strike and got a dormant police reform bill into a scheduled voting session immediately. This is the power they are wielding and continue to exercise.
 

“but what are the players really doing?”

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Capella said:

As the Bucks players returned to the locker room, they turned to their owner for help to take action. He called the WI. state house as they discussed a police reform bill. By nightfall, the governor was calling for a special vote on it.
 

Update: The vote has formally been scheduled. An NBA team threatened to go on strike and got a dormant police reform bill into a scheduled voting session immediately. This is the power they are wielding and continue to exercise.
 

“but what are the players really doing?”

but what are the owners going to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joffer said:
3 hours ago, Capella said:

BREAKING: The NBA just announced that all basketball arenas will he turned into 2020 voting locations.

Ample space for large amounts of people to vote safely.
 

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍

 

now that’s getting things done 

:thumbup:

Wait.....how is this better than a high school gym?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...