What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (6 Viewers)

Jayrod said:
But if they land Kemba, Rozier is gone.  Does that not free up any more money for a 5?  Also, not sure if they can afford Morris, but C's need him.  Don't have a starting quality PF otherwise, unless the plan is Williams (which seems like not so good an idea to count on a rookie), or just some kind of 3 wing small ball thing with Tatum, Brown and Hayward.
If they max Kemba they’ll basically just have the ~$4 million room exception left. I think that’s enough to get a serviceable center but not a stud. Jordan, Cauley-Stein, Holmes - I think that’s the market they’d be in. 

I'm not going to lie....I'd be good with that.  I feel like he is redundant with Tatum and Hayward and has a lower ceiling than either of them.  I'd rather give Smart the minutes and not have to risk a sulking Brown coming off of the bench.
well, he's the best switcher in ball next to Kawhi, combination of size & footspeed wise, and i'm sure Stevens still wants the ball to come up with the point on it, then a Maaaacus switch, a Jaylen switch and a Timelord swat (replacing a Horford switch) if that don't get em a turnover. that's what that which is left of this team is still based on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they max Kemba they’ll basically just have the ~$4 million room exception left. I think that’s enough to get a serviceable center but not a stud. Jordan, Cauley-Stein, Holmes - I think that’s the market they’d be in. 
C-S is an absolute goofball who i would just loooove to have take the exception

KD Watch:

Stephen A. Smith, who once reported that KD/Kyrie to the Knicks was "95% done," is now reporting that KD/Kyrie to the Nets is "basically done." Who can say if "basically" is more than "95%," but it's hard to argue with such a reliable journalist.

:IBTL:

If they wouldn't deal him for Kawhi, who could they possibly be in on that they would have any chance of acquiring that would be a top tier player?
He has one of the more interesting contract situations coming up next year. I would think a trade for brown would occur if Ainge and brown are not close to what that contract will be. Is he a $20 million a year for 4 years guy? Would Boston pay that is the other question. 

KD Watch:

Stephen A. Smith, who once reported that KD/Kyrie to the Knicks was "95% done," is now reporting that KD/Kyrie to the Nets is "basically done." Who can say if "basically" is more than "95%," but it's hard to argue with such a reliable journalist.

Man for your sake I hope it happens. I remember last year I was so suckered in thinking basketball players actually cared about basketball and Lebron was a lock for coming to Philly. 

KD Watch:

Yea but a lot of other people are calling this too. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t get done at this point. 

Yea but a lot of other people are calling this too. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t get done at this point. 
It would make a lot of sense IMO, but we'll see. That fifth year / extra $50MM he could get by staying in GS is probably awfully enticing given the severity of his injury. I do think it's probably between the Nets and Warriors at this point though, I'd be shocked if he picks the Knicks or Clippers or something. 

So will the Nets have basically the same team as last year, except upgraded at PG?  Then they get to grow together for a year, and add in KD?  Will they be able to keep their 2019 roster in 2020, or do they start to lose some of the role players?  Nets could be scary . . . . 

Sixers really need to keep Butler.  I am not so concerned with Harris, although I like him and really would love to see the team together for a full season, minus J. Simmons and plus Thybull.  Can they sign ANYONE of note for depth if they keep Harris and Butler?  Who could replace Reddick?

So will the Nets have basically the same team as last year, except upgraded at PG?  Then they get to grow together for a year, and add in KD?  Will they be able to keep their 2019 roster in 2020, or do they start to lose some of the role players?  Nets could be scary . . . . 
Pretty much. Next year they're going to lose some of their vet depth like Carroll, Dudley, and Davis, but they added Taurean Prince and are banking on more contributions from their young guys. In the event that they land Kyrie/KD, 2019 is one last season for Levert, Allen, and the young players to really grow before major expectations kick in. For the most part I think they can keep the band together as long as they're willing to pay the tax, which Tsai/Prokhorov are. 

I forget where I saw it, but I thought I saw someone tweet that KD had already sold his house in CA and had already purchased one in NY. Not sure how accurate that info would be, but figured I would throw it out there.

I forget where I saw it, but I thought I saw someone tweet that KD had already sold his house in CA and had already purchased one in NY. Not sure how accurate that info would be, but figured I would throw it out there.
I saw that.  Also saw that Butler bought a new home outside of Philly right after the playoffs were over for the Sixers.  But who knows with this stuff.

It would make a lot of sense IMO, but we'll see. That fifth year / extra $50MM he could get by staying in GS is probably awfully enticing given the severity of his injury. I do think it's probably between the Nets and Warriors at this point though, I'd be shocked if he picks the Knicks or Clippers or something. 
I've said it before, I'll say it til I'm proven wrong. No star who cares about anything other than a paycheck is going to trap himself with James Dolan. That franchise is dead in the water until he's gone.

I've said it before, I'll say it til I'm proven wrong. No star who cares about anything other than a paycheck is going to trap himself with James Dolan. That franchise is dead in the water until he's gone.
Well, KD was seen scooting around NY with an orange cast on his leg, so maybe you’ll be proven wrong sooner than we think!  :tinfoilhat:

Can we just start this #### already?  I know things aren't officially allowed until Sunday at 6pm, but how much sooner can we expect to get some "official" moves from WOJ BOMBS?

Can we just start this #### already?  I know things aren't officially allowed until Sunday at 6pm, but how much sooner can we expect to get some "official" moves from WOJ BOMBS?
If it’s anything like last year, we’ll get about 20 Woj bombs right at 6 pm on 6/30. They sure do negotiate those contracts quickly!  ;)

Man for your sake I hope it happens. I remember last year I was so suckered in thinking basketball players actually cared about basketball and Lebron was a lock for coming to Philly. 
man, thinking about this now, how cool would have the playoffs been last year if LeBron joined the Sixers that off-season. LeBron vs. Kawhi with those 4th quarter plays would have really been something. 

and these rumors and press releases are so funny (refuse to call any of it news, i would say maybe 10% could be news, the rest is just junk). Today they are now saying the Clippers are the favorite (as opposed to Houston yesterday) to get Butler, and likely Kawhi signs there too. 

i think i am more scared of a 5 year max contract for Jimmy, than i am of him signing somewhere else. 

Seriously. NBA does many things right but they do the off-season so ### backwards. The free Agent Vets should get priority over rookies. Free agency before Draft is how it should be.

The Lakers will have a 30% max slot:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Lakers are trading Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones to Wizards as part of the Anthony Davis deal with New Orleans, league sources tell @ZachLowe_NBA and me. Deal clears contracts and creates more cap space for free agency.

1:17 PM · Jun 27, 2019

wikkidpissah said:
Vooch is a wonderful player who the game is passing by, in terms of Ws & advancing & stuff
I agree with your overall sentiment, but Vooch can shoot 3's.  Not like Brook Lopez or Al Horford, but he's a decent shooter from deep.

Can we just start this #### already?
Yup.

Seriously. NBA does many things right but they do the off-season so ### backwards. The free Agent Vets should get priority over rookies. Free agency before Draft is how it should be.
Agreed 100%.  This would also have the added benefit of changing the draft into an event where viewers more easily know which teams players are going to.  The hat thing, stupid questions to the rookies about a team they know they're not playing for, etc

SAS says Hornets offered Kemba 5/160. Woj says the deal is done, Kemba told Charlotte he's peacing out.

Well done MJ.

SAS says Hornets offered Kemba 5/160. Woj says the deal is done, Kemba told Charlotte he's peacing out.

Well done MJ.
With 8% annual raises, the starting annual salary for a 5/160 contract would be what, $28MM? Hornets couldn’t even offer him the regular 30% max? Eesh.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't make sense for him to want the extra 50, but I would point out that he has already made 187 million and will now get another 164 and then I would guess could maybe get another 20(?) after that as long as he is functional.  So that's like 371 million meaning that the 50 might not be quite as much of a factor as it would be for someone like Kemba who has made far less.

Chris Haynes @ChrisBHaynes

Yahoo Sources: Kawhi Leonard intends to meet with the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers when free agency commences.

1:52 PM · Jun 27, 2019

oh my god, if the lakers literally had LeBron, AD and Kyrie on the roster and NO ONE ELSE and no cap room, it will be the greatest day in the history of the NBA.

i do wonder what the ceiling of that team would be if it were LeBron, AD and Kawhi, though.  Regardless of what they put around them, could they make the finals?
This is happening! (though they will still have Kuzma)

The Lakers will have a 30% max slot:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Lakers are trading Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones to Wizards as part of the Anthony Davis deal with New Orleans, league sources tell @ZachLowe_NBA and me. Deal clears contracts and creates more cap space for free agency.

1:17 PM · Jun 27, 2019

Anthony Davis is waiving his $4M trade kicker, league sources tell ESPN.
imagine they could have arguably the top 3 players in the game (depending on you want to rank them).

If you're a Laker's fan you're happy. And any non-Lakers fan laughing at their situation is kidding yourself.

There are plenty of roster fillers out there for a team with LeBron, Kawhi, and AD to make a fairly easy finals run assuming the big 3 are healthy.

If you're a Laker's fan you're happy. And any non-Lakers fan laughing at their situation is kidding yourself.

There are plenty of roster fillers out there for a team with LeBron, Kawhi, and AD to make a fairly easy finals run assuming the big 3 are healthy.
That's a heck of an assumption.

I get humility and Lakers fan are like oil and water, but who they actually get with that max slot is kinda important.

According to Spotrac, LAL has only James, Davis, and Kuzma rostered. They have a cap hold for 9 remaining sports for a total of just over $8 million. They are stuck with $5 million in dead money from Deng. Can they get someone to take on that contract if they threw that team a 2nd round pick or money? I assume the Lakers stretched Deng's contract.

According to Spotrac, LAL has only James, Davis, and Kuzma rostered. They have a cap hold for 9 remaining sports for a total of just over $8 million. They are stuck with $5 million in dead money from Deng. Can they get someone to take on that contract if they threw that team a 2nd round pick or money? I assume the Lakers stretched Deng's contract.
There's nothing they can do about Deng's cap hit.

is there a website that reports player contracts as percentages relative to their team's salary cap?

maybe even with historical values for comparison sake?

so that instead of saying "Thad Young will sign with the Magic, 4 years/103 million" and me thinking "THAT'S ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!" it will be more like "oh, that's 8% of their salary cap.. comparable players have been around 8% of the cap in the past.. even if in the past that was more like 4 years / 10.3 million".

Users who are viewing this thread