Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, caustic said:

This is just depressing:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Charlotte has been scouring the free agent point guard market, considering such options as Elfrid Peyton, TJ McConnell, Ish Smith and Emmanuel Mudiay, league sources tell ESPN.

3:43 PM · Jun 29, 2019

I love how the NBA felt like they had to step in with the Sixers, but this is ok. Yes, replace Kemba with Ish Smith. that is fun. 

i like Kemba signing with Boston though. i was all about betting Boston under wins for the season, but i think they may be a good regular season team. they will be one of those team that tries every game. they will get blown out in the playoffs every time, but they will be fun for celtics fans for most of the year

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NBA 2k20 cover released

Well folks, it's your favorite time of year - that's right, it's time for Caustic's second annual mock draft! Putting it in spoilers here as to not clutter up the thread - Go Nets. 

Well, bye.

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If Durant and Kawhi go somewhere together they will want to be on the same contract year.  Durant would basically be going alone for a year and what if Kawhi gets hurt or changes his mind then Durant is stuck there.

just seems way out of nowhere. and if any truth to it, poor Kyrie (who was the player slated to KD for the past 5-6 months).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Capella said:

I think Vuc gets 4/90. That’s pretty manageable. He should stay useful through the contract so if Bamba becomes anything you can move him. Keeps them competitive next year as well, especially if Isaac develops. 

No idea where they get a PG from though. 

Reading this makes me puke

Link to post
Share on other sites

the funny part with all of this is how this stuff is communicated. Good old Ainge just loves talking to the sports media when he can. it is funny how the tampering rules are just thrown right out the window at this time. Poor Magic says in an interview that Simmons would like to workout with him in the off-season and he has a while investigation. Now teams just blatently talk to free agents or potential free agents and it is all good

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, modogg said:

the funny part with all of this is how this stuff is communicated. Good old Ainge just loves talking to the sports media when he can. it is funny how the tampering rules are just thrown right out the window at this time. Poor Magic says in an interview that Simmons would like to workout with him in the off-season and he has a while investigation. Now teams just blatently talk to free agents or potential free agents and it is all good

Well to be clear, Magic was going to tamper with Ben.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, modogg said:

the funny part with all of this is how this stuff is communicated. Good old Ainge just loves talking to the sports media when he can. it is funny how the tampering rules are just thrown right out the window at this time. Poor Magic says in an interview that Simmons would like to workout with him in the off-season and he has a while investigation. Now teams just blatently talk to free agents or potential free agents and it is all good

I wouldn’t be surprised if some teams object and call for a tampering investigation.

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

It's happening!

do you really think it helps? well, i am sure it helps, but what is better:

Kyrie + Horford or Kemba?

will be interesting. there are a few moves that will really bum me out in free agency. If Nerleans Noel goes to Boston, it is probably top on that list

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Sources: Jimmy Butler expected to meet the Miami Heat in South Fla. Sunday. Butler/Rockets meeting likely early week in LA. Sixers haven’t ruled out working with Butler on sign-and-trades, which Miami and Houston need to acquire the All-Star guard.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Free agent Kyrie Irving is meeting with the Brooklyn Nets in New York on Sunday and both sides are motivated to move quickly toward reaching a 4-year, $141M deal, league sources tell ESPN.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2018

 

Once Kyrie Irving commits to a deal, Nets are expected to renounce All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN. Russell led Nets to the playoffs this past season. There's tremendous league-wide interest in Russell.

5:03 PM · Jun 29, 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caustic said:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Sources: Jimmy Butler expected to meet the Miami Heat in South Fla. Sunday. Butler/Rockets meeting likely early week in LA. Sixers haven’t ruled out working with Butler on sign-and-trades, which Miami and Houston need to acquire the All-Star guard.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2019

this one is funny. Was Jimmy a free agent before? i know he was traded a few times, and i think Chicago re-signed him. My guess is he wants to live it up and get wine'd and dine'd. Weirdest thing about these reports is no news of Butler visiting the Lakers or Nets or anybody who actually has cap space

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modogg said:

yeah, i was just listening to Woj podcast and he basically just said it was a given. What is Kemba, 30? will be interesting if it happens. Ainge guess loves his Scary Terry to a point. That guy would trade his own kids it seems. Guess that is good and bad. If they can still get a free agent like Kemba guess it is good

Just turned 29 last month. I love this add but would love it even more if the Celtics are this mystery team to get Capela.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caustic said:

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Free agent Kyrie Irving is meeting with the Brooklyn Nets in New York on Sunday and both sides are motivated to move quickly toward reaching a 4-year, $141M deal, league sources tell ESPN.

5:00 PM · Jun 29, 2018

 

Once Kyrie Irving commits to a deal, Nets are expected to renounce All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN. Russell led Nets to the playoffs this past season. There's tremendous league-wide interest in Russell.

5:03 PM · Jun 29, 2019

would you be happy with just Kyrie? how much of a bump does that give the Nets with just an exhange of Russell and Kyrie? my guess is they do better, not quite at the top 3 of Mil, Phi, and Tor,. not sure about Indiana

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, modogg said:

this one is funny. Was Jimmy a free agent before? i know he was traded a few times, and i think Chicago re-signed him. My guess is he wants to live it up and get wine'd and dine'd. Weirdest thing about these reports is no news of Butler visiting the Lakers or Nets or anybody who actually has cap space

He was a restricted free agent and agreed to re-sign on July 1.

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be rooting for DLo wherever he goes. The guy played his ### off for Brooklyn and dragged them out of the depths of basketball hell - they wouldn’t be in the market for these huge FAs if it wasn’t for the effort from him and others. Treat him well, @Frostillicus

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShamrockPride said:

Just turned 29 last month. I love this add but would love it even more if the Celtics are this mystery team to get Capela.

Celtics do like their PGs with injury histories/knee issues. 

and i don't know if Houston pulls the trigger on a Capella trade without any other move, not sure what that does for them

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, modogg said:

would you be happy with just Kyrie? how much of a bump does that give the Nets with just an exhange of Russell and Kyrie? my guess is they do better, not quite at the top 3 of Mil, Phi, and Tor,. not sure about Indiana

Hard to say how much they improve because health is such a wild card with Kyrie. They’ll definitely be a better team when he’s healthy and on top of his game, but maybe not *that* much better. Probably 4th or 5th seed in the East if everything goes smoothly.

I think Nets fans would riot if we gave up DLo for Kyrie straight up. The justification for Kyrie’s health/personality baggage is that he can attract a bigger name - hopefully KD. If they strike out on him, I think Tobias Harris is their backup plan - a good fit but a huge step down from one of the best 3 players on the planet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Nets will be willing to work with Russell and his reps on ways to get him to a team of his choice, including sign-and-trade scenarios, league sources tell ESPN. If Russell and Nets found a sign-and-trade deal that works for both, obviously, there's no need to renounce his rights.

5:14 PM · Jun 29, 2019

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caustic said:

Another solid player who won’t be on the FA market:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

NBA free agent Nikola Mirotic has decided to sign with Euroleague club Barcelona, sources tell  @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Mirotic was in the market for $45-50M total in contract in the NBA.

1:31 PM · Jun 29, 2019

I'm pretty much a basketball dummy. Can someone explain the Bird rights? Bucks Twitter is all about the $18.5 million if they want to keep him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

I'm pretty much a basketball dummy. Can someone explain the Bird rights? Bucks Twitter is all about the $18.5 million if they want to keep him?

 In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see it posted in the last couple of pages but I heard on the radio an hour or so ago that Klay Thompson is going to sign his super-max deal (or whatever it's called) and stay with the Warriors. Not really a surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

I'm pretty much a basketball dummy. Can someone explain the Bird rights? Bucks Twitter is all about the $18.5 million if they want to keep him?

Bird rights enable a team to go over the cap to re-sign a player that has been with the team for 3+ seasons. [REDACTED, I GOT THIS WRONG] Larry and Juxt are right, Milwaukee does have Mirotic’s bird rights.

Edited by caustic
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Miami has $140 million in contracts and not many attractive pieces. I have no idea how they can turn things into getting Butler.

It's all posturing by Jimmy to get Philly to give up that 5th year. Which if you're Philly, don't #### around. Give him the 5th year. That's the only thing you can offer him that's better than the competition. 

All this talk of sign and trades and Sixers willing to accommodate him is just playing chicken. We'll see who blinks. I personally think Philly shouldn't play games. Just give him the max and say here it is. What do you want to do?

Edited by Insein
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caustic said:

Bird rights enable a team to go over the cap to re-sign a player that has been with the team for 3+ seasons. Since Mirotic wasn’t with the Bucks for that long, they would have had to stay under the cap when re-signing him. Same goes for Brook Lopez.

After his 3 point shooting display and shot blocking last season, I expect Lopez to be a bit expensive.

ETA: if you are the Bucks, who do you pick if you have to choose between Brogden and Lopez? I hope it doesn't come down to that for them but it very well may.

Edited by Jayrod
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

 In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. 

I don’t know the exact reasons , but the bucks did inherit mirotic’s bird rights.  They can transfer during a trade, though I am not sure of all of the conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

I didn't see it posted in the last couple of pages but I heard on the radio an hour or so ago that Klay Thompson is going to sign his super-max deal (or whatever it's called) and stay with the Warriors. Not really a surprise.

Just Max because of the NBA dumb rule that a player that's not on the All NBA roster can't have a super max.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Insein said:

Just Max because of the NBA dumb rule that a player that's not on the All NBA roster can't have a super max.

I don't think the Warriors front office is that upset about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

“As far as trades and the transferal of Bird Rights go, if a player has been with a team for three complete years and he gets traded, his new team will acquire his Bird Rights”

the pelicans had inherited them from the bulls and then they went with him to the bucks. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

I don’t know the exact reasons , but the bucks did inherit mirotic’s bird rights.  They can transfer during a trade, though I am not sure of all of the conditions.

Right. They have full Bird rights.  They don’t have Bird rights on Lopez because (IIRC) they signed him to a one year deal.

Regarding the initial comment about Mirotic, Bucks might get to keep those rights since he signed with a non-NBA team and the Bucks wouldn’t need to renounce him since they should be over the cap for the foreseeable future.  Perhaps Mirotic will decide to return to the NBA and the Bucks could sign him with Bird rights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not verified by Woj/Shams, but I’m seeing reports on twitter that Middleton is getting the full 5/190 max from Milwaukee. Bucks are barrelling towards that luxury tax at full speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caustic said:

Not verified by Woj/Shams, but I’m seeing reports on twitter that Middleton is getting the full 5/190 max from Milwaukee. Bucks are barrelling towards that luxury tax at full speed.

That’s the cost of doing business.  Bucks had to do this.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

After his 3 point shooting display and shot blocking last season, I expect Lopez to be a bit expensive.

ETA: if you are the Bucks, who do you pick if you have to choose between Brogden and Lopez? I hope it doesn't come down to that for them but it very well may.

Expensive? Fine. Multi-year? Never on a Lopez.

Not matching $20mil for Brogdon either. Satoransky's as good for a third of that. Don't follow Bucks' team chemistry and would certainly consult the Freak about keeping him happy, but would try to convince him that people wanna play w him, so why not get more talent for less. Not paying the penalty jus cuz we got close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

That’s the cost of doing business.  Bucks had to do this.  

Yeah, letting him walk was never an option. He's still pretty young as well, so a 5-year deal for him may not have the downside of, say, a 5-year deal for Jimmy Butler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

 In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. 

So does that $18.5 million or whatever count against the cap? Sorry, like I said I'm pretty dumb (do we still have sigs?)

37 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

After his 3 point shooting display and shot blocking last season, I expect Lopez to be a bit expensive.

ETA: if you are the Bucks, who do you pick if you have to choose between Brogden and Lopez? I hope it doesn't come down to that for them but it very well may.

Word around MKE is that they have a number and if someone goes over it, they'll let Brogden walk. They feel like he's a perfect fit for their system but if someone wants to pay more for him to be a 2nd option instead of a 3rd or 4th option then so be it. And of course the homers are thinking they could grab Frank the Tank on the cheap and not lose any production from Lopez but whatevs

Just reporting what I'm seeing on Bucks twitter FTR. Nothing official

Edited by strykerpks
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

So does that $18.5 million or whatever count against the cap? Sorry, like I said I'm pretty dumb (do we still have sigs?)

 

Yes, but they can go over the cap.  Let's say a team has a $100 million payroll and the cap is $115.  They can sign Lawrence Moten for $12 million as a free agent, and then sign MIddleton for that $18.5 for a total payroll of $130.5 and that's fine.  They can't do it the opposite way, signing Middleton and then Moten because that takes them over the cap by signing a free agent instead of their own guy with Bird rights.  So expect them to announce the MIddleton signing but not actually have him sign until they've used all their cap space (if they have any).

:nerd:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Yes, but they can go over the cap.  Let's say a team has a $100 million payroll and the cap is $115.  They can sign Lawrence Moten for $12 million as a free agent, and then sign MIddleton for that $18.5 for a total payroll of $130.5 and that's fine.  They can't do it the opposite way, signing Middleton and then Moten because that takes them over the cap by signing a free agent instead of their own guy with Bird rights.  So expect them to announce the MIddleton signing but not actually have him sign until they've used all their cap space (if they have any).

:nerd:

Thanks much, that kinda makes sense. Ya know, you're kinda nice when you're not being a wiener. Don't worry I won't tell anyone

PS Is Lawrence Moten a real name?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strykerpks said:

Thanks much, that kinda makes sense. Ya know, you're kinda nice when you're not being a wiener. Don't worry I won't tell anyone

PS Is Lawrence Moten a real name?

Second round pick by the Vancouver Grizzlies back in 1995.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

mirotic is definitely weird.  he is going to be giving up a lot of money.

But he gets to live in Barcelona. Granted it’s not Milwaukee or Phoenix, but there are worse places to live and make 5 million a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...