What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (8 Viewers)

This is how I would answer:

"That would be great.  But, as you know, things in this league can change so fast.  It's hard to know for sure."
sports media take:  "AD said he can't promise LA he'll be there next year because things change fast.. you know what that means.. he can't commit because he's not a loyal person. he's selfish and he wants the next team to be all about him. he doesn't care about winning. he just wants attention. all he had to say to the reporter was 'i'm here to win games'. he hasn't won anything yet and he's acting like a diva, holding the Lakers hostage."

sports media take:  "AD said he can't promise LA he'll be there next year because things change fast.. you know what that means.. he can't commit because he's not a loyal person. he's selfish and he wants the next team to be all about him. he doesn't care about winning. he just wants attention. all he had to say to the reporter was 'i'm here to win games'. he hasn't won anything yet and he's acting like a diva, holding the Lakers hostage."
Welcome to today's NBA.

It's not a cop out, it's optionality to borrow a Hinkie word.  Horford gives you a quality starting 4 that has the ability to cover for Embiid when he's out. Based on everything we know about Horford, he's not going to cause problems because he has to play center 20-25 games a year.
Never said he would. A lot of us non Sixers fans said it was an overpay. I mentioned something about his defense playing with another big not being great and someone mentioned he was playing Center or something. Either way I stand by my stance of I don't like the signing from a $$$ stand point and I don't think the Sixers got any better with the signing. Horford should just play at the 4 and the team should've signed a decent Back up C instead. Last year the Sixers would've been one and done without Butler and Simmons went MIA most of the Toronto Series. You can say oh he played Leonard well. I mean if you like Moral Victories he only dropped 35-40 on him instead of 50 on whoever else guarded. I think the only position they upgraded overall Age and ability was SG. Harris is an inconsistent SF with questionable D there overpaid to get him then they had to overpay just to keep him to prevent both he and Jimmy both leaving. Horford is still a decent player but well past his prime. They really did nothing to improve the bench. I think they somewhat tried to upgrade back up PG but again thats a risk there with Neto staying healthy. 

the reality is that if dumbo Fultz hadn't run into Embiid's face and if the training/coaching staff were more prudent, Embiid plays 72 games in each of the past 2 years.

And having Horford as an Embiid backup is completely part of the reason that they paid him.  They will have one of those guys on the floor for 48 minutes.  There is plenty of room for argument as to whether they paid too much for Horford, but the concept of him as Embiid's backup is not a good line of reasoning.
Thats where my argument is here. To back up them paying Horford that much with the he'll back up Embiid too is not a good reason at all. I don't think anyone else was gonna go that high on Horford. The thing that will keep Horford going is he's smart and Crafty so even given a decline in skill set he's still very playable. He just won't live up to what the Sixers are paying statistically in the long run and I know fans are incredible impatient overall in sports and won't use common sense thinking. If they are really that concerned about having someone as good as Horford as Embiid's back up that is not an encouraging sign for Joel and the fans IMHO. That's telling me that he's expected to miss more games then you'd like and we need more then a back up who can play spot start minutes. Horford does give a lot of things like leadership and professionalism but even the little things and locker room stuff you could argue with it, it's still too much you are paying the guy. And I'm saying this as a guy who's a Florida fan and has watched Horford from College and in the NBA so I'm not being a Horford hater at all. I just know what he gives me at this point in his career and he's not living up to that contract. 

Last edited by a moderator:
BigSteelThrill said:
Shaq, last night, answering why Kawhi Leonard went to the Clippers and not Lakers...

"Because Jerry West is a master."  :bow:
Jerry West was on the Dan Patrick show the other day. Dan asked him how much credit he should be given for the Kawhi signing and he aww shucks'd his way through it with a "very little" answer.

the guy is so highly respected that he just has to be in the room and guys are drawn to play for his team

Jerry West was on the Dan Patrick show the other day. Dan asked him how much credit he should be given for the Kawhi signing and he aww shucks'd his way through it with a "very little" answer.

the guy is so highly respected that he just has to be in the room and guys are drawn to play for his team
I still remember when he threatened to resign with the GSW's when they were considering trading Klay for Kevin Love.

this article is pretty funny:

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/celtics-sixers-tampering-al-horford-nba-free-agency/2/

funny Celtics PR like always. Savior Danny tried to nickle and dime Horford and got burned. nothing like just blaming everyone else.

I honestly don't think there is another front office in the 4 major sports that gets such a pass. Looking more objectively at what they have done, we basically see that the C's has treasure chest of assets, great draft picks, and some luck. Seeing how the signs are pointing to them squandering away Jaylen Brown, they will have numerous top 3 picks, and tons of blessings, and all they will have to show for it is Jayson Tatum

Yet, we still hear how great they are. How is it possible you have all those assets and great picks, and likely all they will have to show is 1 fringe all-star. Will be interested to see what Brown can get on an open market (i think he becomes restricted free agent if he doesn't sign by October, but seeing how next free agent period will be shallow, i could see some team like the Knicks bid pretty high for him)

Love that Ainge is now saying "Plan A" was Kemba and Kanter the whole time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNO8btnvY70

i think i would rather have Colangelo than this fool who just outright lies with not even flinching

this article is pretty funny:

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/celtics-sixers-tampering-al-horford-nba-free-agency/2/

funny Celtics PR like always. Savior Danny tried to nickle and dime Horford and got burned. nothing like just blaming everyone else.

I honestly don't think there is another front office in the 4 major sports that gets such a pass. Looking more objectively at what they have done, we basically see that the C's has treasure chest of assets, great draft picks, and some luck. Seeing how the signs are pointing to them squandering away Jaylen Brown, they will have numerous top 3 picks, and tons of blessings, and all they will have to show for it is Jayson Tatum

Yet, we still hear how great they are. How is it possible you have all those assets and great picks, and likely all they will have to show is 1 fringe all-star. Will be interested to see what Brown can get on an open market (i think he becomes restricted free agent if he doesn't sign by October, but seeing how next free agent period will be shallow, i could see some team like the Knicks bid pretty high for him)

Love that Ainge is now saying "Plan A" was Kemba and Kanter the whole time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNO8btnvY70

i think i would rather have Colangelo than this fool who just outright lies with not even flinching
Let's not get crazy now. Ainge still fleeced high collars of 2 first round picks for a player who can't play.

Interesting stuff in Spurs front office:

The news: After a little more than 15 years serving as GM, Buford is getting prepared to bequeath the role to assistant GM Brian Wright, league sources have confirmed to The Athletic. Wright will report directly to Buford, who will officially get a new title that some around the NBA believe will be a role helping to oversee Spurs Sports & Entertainment.

When the Spurs initially hired Wright in 2016, he stayed behind the scenes and focused mainly on scouting. But sources have informed The Athletic over the last year Wright has been more involved, even fielding calls and packages for the trade of Kawhi Leonard the previous summer.

Interesting stuff in Spurs front office:
interesting. i remember after the Colangelo fiasco last year the Sixers talked to Buford a lot. the rumor was Brand would take over for now and Buford was going to come over when his contract was up and get a title like president of basketball operations. front offices can be funny with credit being given and taken by speculation, but all signs pointed to Buford being legit. 

He may get a few open looks in the Bucks offense.  Great signing for Milwaukee.  The vets the Bucks have added this offseason all appear to be good fits.
SIxers in 4. Hell, may be Sixers in 3, and the Bucks just figure to not even show up for game 4

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
538's projected records based on player CARMELO totals . . .

HOU 58-24
DEN 51-31
LAL 51-31
GSW 50-32
UTA 49-33
LAC 48-34
DAL 44-38
NOP 43-39
MIN 43-39
OKC 41-41
POR 41-41
SAS 37-45
PHO 35-47
MEM 35-47
SAC 33-49

PHI 59-23
MIL 54-28
BOS 46-36
TOR 45-37
MIA 44-38
ORL 42-40
IND 39-43
BRK 38-44
CHI 37-45
DET 36-46
WAS 32-50
ATL 28-54
CHA 26-56
NYK 23-59
CLE 21-61

% to win title:
PHI 27%
HOU 24%
LAL 13%
MIL 10%
GSW 10%
LAC 5%
DEN 3%
BOS 2%
UTA 2%
TOR 1%
All other teams each <1%

who in the world would have thought that Tacko Fall gets much more love than Bol Bol at this point. 
Tacko Fall is a much taller human and he's also been playing basketball in 2019. Bol is tall, but there are other guys his size in the NBA. Fall is bigger than Boban so he's a bit of a spectacle.

Just for kicks because I was curious...

Code:
	538 proj		Vegas	Differential
ATL		28		32.5	-4.5
BOS		46		48.5	-2.5
BRK		38		45.5	-7.5
CHA		26		24.5	1.5
CHI		37		30.5	6.5
CLE		21		24.5	-3.5
DAL		44		41.5	2.5
DEN		51		50.5	0.5
DET		36		36.5	-0.5
GSW		50		47.5	2.5
HOU		58		51.5	6.5
IND		39		48.5	-9.5
LAC		48		55.5	-7.5
LAL		51		51.5	-0.5
MEM		35		27.5	7.5
MIA		44		42.5	1.5
MIL		54		56.5	-2.5
MIN		43		35.5	7.5
NOP		43		37.5	5.5
NYK		23		27.5	-4.5
OKC		41		N/A		#VALUE!
ORL		42		41.5	0.5
PHI		59		53.5	5.5
PHO		35		26.5	8.5
POR		41		45.5	-4.5
SAC		33		35.5	-2.5
SAS		37		43.5	-6.5
TOR		45		45.5	-0.5
UTA		49		52.5	-3.5
WAS		32		28.5	3.5

Wow, 59 wins for Philly? Maybe. I know they have a lot of talent. Just don't know if they are at that level right now.

The 538 Clippers ranking seems way off. Makes you really doubt the whole thing.
I looked at the projected minutes distributions for the Kings and some of them were pretty weird (like Bjelica full time at the 3 even though I don’t think he ever played there last year).  I didn’t look through the other teams, but maybe that has something to do with it. 

I looked at the projected minutes distributions for the Kings and some of them were pretty weird (like Bjelica full time at the 3 even though I don’t think he ever played there last year).  I didn’t look through the other teams, but maybe that has something to do with it. 
Bulls minutes are weird too like having LaVine getting the majority of his minutes at PG.  But I’m ignoring that because they’re giving a 52% chance at making the playoffs.  :thumbup:

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

FollowFollow @ShamsCharania

More

The Los Angeles Lakers have claimed Kostas Antetokounmpo off free agency waivers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

Since the league expanded the All-NBA team to three teams for the 1988-89 season, only one league champion did not have a player on one of the three All-NBA teams. That was the 1988-89 Pistons 31 years ago. Eighteen of the 31 winning teams had two or more All-NBA players.

2018 TOR Kawhi (2)
2017 GSW KD (1) Curry (3)
2016 GSW KD (2) Curry (2) Green (3)
2015 CLE LeBron (1)
2014 GSW Curry (1) Klay (3)
2013 SAS Parker (2)
2012 MIA LeBron (1) Wade (3)
2011 MIA LeBron (1) Wade (3)
2010 DAL Dirk (2)
2009 LAL Kobe (1) P Gasol (3)
2008 LAL Kobe (1) P Gasol (3)
2007 BOS KG (1) Pierce (3)
2006 SAS Duncan (1)
2005 MIA Shaq (1) Wade (2)
2004 SAS Duncan (1)
2003 DET B Wallace (2)
2002 SAS Duncan (1)
2001 LAL Shaq (1) Kobe (1)
2000 LAL Shaq (1) Kobe (2)
1999 LAL Shaq (1) Kobe (3)
1998 SAS Duncan (1)
1997 CHI MJ (1) Pippen (3)
1996 CHI MJ (1) Pippen (2)
1995 CHI MJ (1) Pippen (1)
1994 HOU Hakeem (3) Drexler (3)
1993 HOU Hakeem (1)
1992 CHI MJ (1) Pippen (3)
1991 CHI MJ (1) Pippen (2)
1990 CHI MJ (1)
1989 DET Dumars (3)
1988 DET None

Based on that, which teams look unlikely to have an All-NBA player (and thus get ruled out) . . . and which teams have a decent shot of having TWO All-NBA players (and thus have a better shot of winning)?

Based on that, which teams look unlikely to have an All-NBA player (and thus get ruled out) . . . and which teams have a decent shot of having TWO All-NBA players (and thus have a better shot of winning)?
I'd say these guys are locks for at least 1 of the 15 all-NBA slots sans major injury:

• Giannis (MIL)
  • Harden (HOU)
  • Jokic (DEN)
  • Embiid (PHI)
  • Curry (GSW)
I think of these guys as highly likely as long as they don't have a down year, play enough games and stay healthy:

• Lillard (POR)
  • Ivring (BRK)
  • James (LAL)
  • Davis (LAL)
  • Westbrook (HOU)
  • George (LAC)
  • Leonard (LAC)
That leaves anywhere from 3-5 spots available.  Here are the guys with a good opportunity to land a spot:

• Gobert (UTA)
  • Walker (BOS)
  • Butler (MIA)
  • Towns (MIN)
  • Griffin (DET)
  • Beal (WAS)
  • Vucevic (ORL)
Here are a few less likely, but possible options depending on how good of a season they have:

• Doncic (DAL)
  • Green (GSW)
  • Mitchell (UTA)
  • Simmons (PHI)
Out of the top 15 teams, the only teams without anyone listed above are IND, SAS & TOR.  Indiana is missing their stud in Oladipo for probably half the year, San Antonio has a couple of dark horse options in Aldridge or Derozan and Toronto has Siakim as a remote possibility.

If you are looking for teams with 2 All-NBA players the likely list is LAL, LAC & HOU with GSW, UTA & PHI having an outside shot.

I'd say these guys are locks for at least 1 of the 15 all-NBA slots sans major injury:

• Giannis (MIL)
  • Harden (HOU)
  • Jokic (DEN)
  • Embiid (PHI)
  • Curry (GSW)
I think of these guys as highly likely as long as they don't have a down year, play enough games and stay healthy:

• Lillard (POR)
  • Ivring (BRK)
  • James (LAL)
  • Davis (LAL)
  • Westbrook (HOU)
  • George (LAC)
  • Leonard (LAC)
That leaves anywhere from 3-5 spots available.  Here are the guys with a good opportunity to land a spot:

• Gobert (UTA)
  • Walker (BOS)
  • Butler (MIA)
  • Towns (MIN)
  • Griffin (DET)
  • Beal (WAS)
  • Vucevic (ORL)
Here are a few less likely, but possible options depending on how good of a season they have:

• Doncic (DAL)
  • Green (GSW)
  • Mitchell (UTA)
  • Simmons (PHI)
Out of the top 15 teams, the only teams without anyone listed above are IND, SAS & TOR.  Indiana is missing their stud in Oladipo for probably half the year, San Antonio has a couple of dark horse options in Aldridge or Derozan and Toronto has Siakim as a remote possibility.

If you are looking for teams with 2 All-NBA players the likely list is LAL, LAC & HOU with GSW, UTA & PHI having an outside shot.
Layman

:thumbup:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Spurs legend Tim Duncan has joined Gregg Popovich's coaching staff as an assistant coach.

3:48 PM · Jul 22, 2019

Users who are viewing this thread