What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jerry Jeudy, CLE (3 Viewers)

Comp Jerry Jeudy/Marvin Harrison 
I agree. Jeudy has amazing feet. It is almost as if he is double-jointed. He can get open and receive the ball well. Just like Marvin his YAC is limited and he protects himself as a football player. He tends to gravitate towards the sideline when receiving near the boundary. I have zero issue with this but it is how he plays (which is great for preservation and longevity). His footwork is so special if paired with a good young QB he has a chance to put up special numbers for a long time. What he does well is get open. If a team plays to his strengths he will kill it.

Apples and oranges. 

The quote I referenced was looking at average yards per target

Your link shows yards per route. 

These are two completely different metrics. He might have been running the most yards per route, but those are including routes he got zero targets, which means it can be inflated by being a decoy or second/third option on that play. 
But is there any evidence that it would be inflated more for Jeudy than anyone else? Doesn't the same mechanism work to inflate everyone equally, aside from some analysis that includes differentiating between which top WR recruits were used as decoys or otherwise not targeted, like a % of routes that they got targets. Because otherwise that inflation mechanism should be equal for all. And in that world, Jeudy had the highest number in the class per the yards per route metric. So........? Not sure what that means but I don't think those metrics are different in the way you're saying they are. 

Dr. Dan said:
These are good questions/suggestions. I have no idea. This is the discussion I was hoping for rather than a dismissive "we are over analyzing now"
I'm a bad overanalyzer, too. It occasionally gets me in trouble and I've certainly been told I think too much. For me these rookies all have some pluses and minuses and I don't fret too much about ranking them despite as much wrangling as I do. What gets me is the in season starting lineup calls. I work the wire really good and I think I'm a solid trader, and drafting is perhaps my biggest strength, but yeah starting lineups get me. 

I have no idea if he is a bust against man coverage but if he is it would be good to know. Strongly considering the 4th RB over him.

Is he like Ruggs and cant handle the press coverage? Is the recipe for neutralizing him as simple as cover him man to man?
I'm an overanalyzer, too, which is why I looked into this on Ruggs and found out I might be wrong. Guys are saying he is physical enough to have played outside and won against press. But take it with a grain of salt because I'm a Ruggs honk. Only know that I am looking for flaws as much as the next guy, and finding them mainly in his absence of dominator status and his potential fantasy non-usage as decoy, both of which might tie in together. All I know is that I've been trying to read up on his physicality and he seems to pass some of the non-lazy evaluator's tests. (I don't trust the guy that compared him to Darrius Heyward-Bey and the guy talking about him being a body catcher. That means they weren't watching.)

To bring it back to Jeudy, it seems like the analyzers are saying he played more effective in the slot and against zones, which means something to me, anyway. I don't have Jeudy in my first round ever; but I only have one first-rounder at 1.01, so that's sort of natural, as his ADP is below that but way before 2.01.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an overanalyzer, too, which is why I looked into this on Ruggs and found out I might be wrong. Guys are saying he is physical enough to have played outside and won against press. But take it with a grain of salt because I'm a Ruggs honk. Only know that I am looking for flaws as much as the next guy, and finding them mainly in his absence of dominator status and his potential fantasy non-usage as decoy, both of which might tie in together. All I know is that I've been trying to read up on his physicality and he seems to pass some of the non-lazy evaluator's tests. (I don't trust the guy that compared him to Darrius Heyward-Bey and the guy talking about him being a body catcher. That means they weren't watching.)

To bring it back to Jeudy, it seems like the analyzers are saying he played more effective in the slot and against zones, which means something to me, anyway. I don't have Jeudy in my first round ever; but I only have one first-rounder at 1.01, so that's sort of natural, as his ADP is below that but way before 2.01.
It may mean something, it may not. His yards per route versus man don't seem terrible in comparison. Maybe his quarterback was more comfortable when facing zone coverage (Ruggs numbers dont look great). If a team drafts him and plays toward his strengths he will be great. He has the feet to be one of the better route runners in the NFL. He will not be a tackle breaking machine or a Moss-like deep threat, but he can be a quarterbacks best friend and become a PPR star. He has enough savvy and speed to come up with periodic big plays. I will probably side with Lamb if Jeudy ends up in a poor quarterback situation. I do think Lambs skills are a little more universally accepted although I do worry about his ability to separate at the next level. But Lamb is so aggressive after catch which will bode well for any offense. 

Neither of these guys are perfect prospects, but both do offer some elite qualities that if put into the right situation can have a huge FF impact. Destination will play a huge role in the success of a lot of these top RB & WR prospects.   

Notable yards per route #s vs man in WR class Jerry Jeudy 3.14 Denzel Mims 2.86 K.J. Hill 2.65 Tyler Johnson 2.62 Brandon Aiyuk 2.51 Jalen Reagor 2.43 Ceedee Lamb 2.38 Isaiah Hodgins 2.34 Michael Pittman Jr. 2.26 Justin Jefferson 2.02 Bryan Edwards 1.36 Henry Ruggs III 1.08

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike

Yards per route vs. man coverage leaders for WR class over past two seasons: 1. Laviska Shenault Jr. 4.98 2. Tee Higgins 4.25 3. Easop Winston Jr. 3.75 4. Jauan Jennings 3.52 5. K.J. Hamler 3.43

I'm an overanalyzer, too, which is why I looked into this on Ruggs and found out I might be wrong. Guys are saying he is physical enough to have played outside and won against press.
The thing is barring help from a second corner/safety, playing press coverage against a guy like Ruggs is very risky because if he does get past the press corner he's gone and no one is catching back up to him.

One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn that he believes Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy has "more of that superstar potential than anyone" else in this year's class of wide receivers.

“Just a phenomenal route runner. Explosive. Just makes things happen," the same scout continued.  In a poll of 17 NFL executives, Jeudy was just narrowly edged out by Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb as the draft's top receiver talent, but Jeudy did receive several first-place votes.  Jeudy posted an ugly score of 9 on the Wonderlic, but he "was good in the interview with us," a different scout said. “He really understands football.  He’s lived life in the ultimate football playground."  Jeudy is Rotoworld's Hayden Winks' No. 2 wideout and a slam-dunk first-round pick.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 15, 2020, 11:47 AM ET

Ryan Leaf scored a 27 on that test. And Frank Gore scored a 6 and is still in the league....I'm not putting ANY stock in that stupid test. ;)
Running back (and cornerback) generally allow for the dumbest players. Wide receivers need more, but I don't claim to know how much more

not that it's a great indicator of smarts, but this makes sense to me as when he gave his interview with that necklace on he did not come across too bright... that was a yellow flag for me. But, take this test with a grain of salt in general. He seems to know how to play football and studies well
Yeah everything you hear about the kid says his idea of a good friday night is studying film.  File this under who cares

That's not bad really.
It was an online Wonderlic, so I wonder about its accuracy, but that thing was hard, man. It requires knowledge outside of the exam, the ability to shape and process complex mathematical formulas quickly, and other traits that focus on what I call "fast intelligence," that is, intelligence that has a time limit. Generally, the timed tests put out by ETS and other boards don't have quite the time crunch of the ASVAB you took in high school or the Wonderlic, both of which put an emphasis on how quickly you can process information.

I was just using thirty as a benchmark; I forget what I got, but it was lower than I expected.

not that it's a great indicator of smarts, but this makes sense to me as when he gave his interview with that necklace on he did not come across too bright... that was a yellow flag for me. But, take this test with a grain of salt in general. He seems to know how to play football and studies well
It's a test which measures how well a person can process information quickly. I could see why it might matter for a receiver; but then you look at the list @Faust linked with Randy Moss, Torey Holt, and Reggie Wayne near the bottom. So maybe it doesn't.

It was an online Wonderlic, so I wonder about its accuracy, but that thing was hard, man. It requires knowledge outside of the exam, the ability to shape and process complex mathematical formulas quickly, and other traits that focus on what I call "fast intelligence," that is, intelligence that has a time limit. Generally, the timed tests put out by ETS and other boards don't have quite the time crunch of the ASVAB you took in high school or the Wonderlic, both of which put an emphasis on how quickly you can process information.

I was just using thirty as a benchmark; I forget what I got, but it was lower than I expected.
I took it once online, got completely frustrated and quit before I saw how I did. I didn't even want to know my score. It's really not easy and not something you can prepare for. Anybody should be able to answer all the questions correctly if given as much time as needed, the clock gets you. The quick thinking makes it useful for football where decisions have to be made in split seconds. 

I did it once and got mid 40s. I don't know how else to say it but I thought it was pretty easy. I was shocked, once I did it, to see how low some people scored. I don't know. I've always crushed tests so I know I'm an outlier. 

Just took it twice on line, got a 32 and 36 fwiw, but always been a great test taker.
I found one and got 39.  Damn, that 12 minutes goes fast!  I only answered 40 of the 50 questions. 

I'm not sure I could have gone any faster, but I suppose with 1 minute left I could have just started guessing random answers quickly (but it didn't tell me what question I was on)

Tried doing it again but it was the same questions.

Got a 33 while holding my 9 month old and being harassed with questions by my 3.5 year old. Only got to 37 out of 50.
Then you all got me. I truly forget what I got, but I remembered being a good bit behind Fitz and the boys, which made me a modicum of upset with a huge side of salt (not it he wounds, but salt in that I didn't care). 

The Wonderlic. Pun not intended: I wonder what on earth they use it for. So much of the intelligence required in football is kinetic/spatial.

Back to Jeudy: I wonder what his play strength is? Can't be that high, can it?

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Jeudy is now the vegas favourite to be the first wr taken in the draft on the betting site I use.  Interesting.  Anyone else seeing this on other vegas odds sites?  I would have though Lamb for sure.

...at the end of the day Jeudy is still the #1 WR IMO.  Now if either is drafted by a team with a crappy fantasy QB, that changes things.

The Colorado Springs Gazette's Woody Paige reports the Broncos could be looking to trade into the Top 10 for Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy in next week's draft.

It's the same thing NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reported in his most recent Move the Sticks podcast. Broncos GM John Elway is clearly high on Jeudy, and while it would be wise to sit back and allow what's being touted as the deepest wide receiver class in history to simply fall where they may, the organization is doing a poor job of keeping their cards close to the vest. Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb, Alabama's Henry Ruggs, and Jeudy are all expected to hear their names called at some point between picks 8-16, but the ongoing mystery of exactly where they land is what continues to make this year's draft the Wild West.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Apr 19, 2020, 5:26 AM ET

Source is telling me Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy‘s draft stock may drop due to reported knee issues that haven’t been disclosed yet. Jeudy underwent surgery for a meniscus injury in 2018. #NFLDraft2020

— Natalie Egenolf (@NatalieEgenolf) April 21, 2020

Source is telling me Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy‘s draft stock may drop due to reported knee issues that haven’t been disclosed yet. Jeudy underwent surgery for a meniscus injury in 2018. #NFLDraft2020

— Natalie Egenolf (@NatalieEgenolf) April 21, 2020
Every source is probably supplied by one of the GMs' runner to spread lies in hope to drop the value on the targeted prospects.  It is known to happen such as Laremy Tunsil on gas-mask bong.

Rotoworld:

97.5 The Fanatic's Natalie Egenolf reports that Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy's "draft stock may drop due to reported knee issues that haven’t been disclosed yet."

To add fuel to the fire, NBC Sports Philadelphia's Derrick Gunn hears that there are teams who have knocked Jeudy off their first-round boards altogether due to concerns over his knee. The Crimson Tide wideout underwent a surgical procedure to repair a meniscus issue in 2018, per Egenolf. Jeudy is widely considered either WR1 or WR2 in this draft class, jostling with CeeDee Lamb for the pole ranking position throughout the evaluating season. That esteem, of course, is based on the idea that Jeudy would check out medically. He could come off the board in the early teens on Thursday, but if he drops a little, these reported knee concerns should be kept in mind.

SOURCE: Natalie Egenolf on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 10:25 AM ET

Jerry Jeudy 'lingering knee issue' confirmed by Adam Schefter

On Tuesday afternoon, a report came out from two reporters in Philadelphia that Jerry Jeudy had a knee issue that could cause him to fall in the upcoming NFL Draft. In an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic on Wednesday morning, NFL insider Adam Schefter confirmed that Jeudy has a "lingering knee issue" but does not see it having a dramatic effect on his stock. (Adam Schefter on Twitter) 

Fantasy Impact:

Schefter confirming the knee issue for Jeudy, who had knee surgery in 2018, is not great for his draft stock. But Schefter also seemed unconcerned and indicated that he did not believe Jeudy would fall very far in the draft. Jeudy has been widely considered the top wide receiver prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft for months now and had been expected to be drafted by the middle of the first round at the latest.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Pro Football Focus, Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy's 64 receptions of at least 15 yards over the past two seasons were the most in the country. 

Without looking at the numbers beforehand, if people were taking bets on who would top this list, Jeudy would have almost certainly been one of the favorites. As the star in Alabama's explosive offense over the past two years, Jeudy has been able to rip off 15-yard gains both through yards-after-catch opportunities and by separating down the field. He is the total package wide receiver as far as play making goes. Perhaps Jeudy could clean up his pass-catching technique a bit, but he is a big play waiting to happen. Expect Jeudy to be off the board in the first 15 picks. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 23, 2020, 3:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread