What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jerry Jeudy, CLE (1 Viewer)

Faust said:
Jerry Jeudy had the fifth most air yards in the NFL this season. 

The rookie only trailed Calvin Ridley, Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs, and D.K. Metcalf in air yards. Jeudy's 12.9 air yards per target was higher than all of the top four receivers besides Ridley. His rookie year usage could hardly be more encouraging, as Jeudy commanded a team-high 21 percent target share. He separated himself from Tim Patrick as the Broncos' No. 1 wideout in the season's final month, becoming Drew Lock's main target. Jeudy continuing his target and air yard dominance could make him a premiere 2021 fantasy draft value at wide receiver. 

RELATED: 

Tim Patrick

, Drew Lock

Jan 4, 2021, 9:33 AM ET
That's awfully positive spin for a guy that played like crap and had a bad attitude on top of it.

That's awfully positive spin for a guy that played like crap and had a bad attitude on top of it.
Not to mention, its basically ignoring that Courtland Sutton will be back next year, and is far superior to Patrick. Good chance those air yards are Suttons if he hadn't gotten injured.

That said, I think improved QB play, will likely lead to improved Jeudy play. He's an interesting WR3 in my opinion.

I think improved QB play, will likely lead to improved Jeudy play. He's an interesting WR3 in my opinion.
Yes, WR is so dependent on the QB, it's hard to slam a guy after just one year. It's bad enough that he went from college level Alabama to NFL level Denver, but Lock isn't  even as good as Tua. 

I seriously think his slightness and a few big hits early in the year got his head on a swivel. I remember the first hit he took in his first two games (TN was a nationally televised game in a primetime slot this year, remember?) and he got rung in the chest. He started dropping balls soon after. The NFL is just a different animal. Aside from one big play against the Raiders, IIRC, there was no RAC this year.

It was only his first year and air yards were promising and people keep praising his routes (how much of that is narrative and real route running, though?), but if the head keeps on a swivel, that's bad news.

Which leads me to this: Devonta Smith at 165 lbs., anybody?

I seriously think his slightness and a few big hits early in the year got his head on a swivel. I remember the first hit he took in his first two games (TN was a nationally televised game in a primetime slot this year, remember?) and he got rung in the chest. He started dropping balls soon after. The NFL is just a different animal. Aside from one big play against the Raiders, IIRC, there was no RAC this year.

It was only his first year and air yards were promising and people keep praising his routes (how much of that is narrative and real route running, though?), but if the head keeps on a swivel, that's bad news.

Fans in Miami seem to be 50/50 on Chase versus Smith at #3, because of Smith's light frame. Smith's electric performance vs OSU may have tilted it in his favor. I'd draft Chase based on what I know. Too bad we're not getting much real measurements on Smith.

rockaction said:

Smith looks tiny.  I would take Chase.  

SoBeDad said:
Fans in Miami seem to be 50/50 on Chase versus Smith at #3, because of Smith's light frame. Smith's electric performance vs OSU may have tilted it in his favor. I'd draft Chase based on what I know. Too bad we're not getting much real measurements on Smith.

Smith looks tiny.  I would take Chase.  
Chase seems like the easy pick to me.

The Athletic's Nick Kosmider reports Jerry Jeudy has been Teddy Bridgwater's "most frequent target" at OTAs.

It needs to be noted that Courtland Sutton is still being limited coming off ACL surgery, and Tim Patrick has missed some reps with a hamstring issue, but by all accounts Jeudy has looked sharp in offseason work. The 22-year-old is coming off a rough rookie season that saw him finish 200th of 202 qualifying receivers in catch rate (46%) by reeling in only 52 of his 113 targets, but some of that has to do with Drew Lock's inaccuracy. Jeudy still dropped too many passes. He should be more comfortable with a normal offseason after going through the predraft process all last winter. Bridgwater's better accuracy should help Jeudy.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 7, 2021, 7:32 PM ET

So, basically - we know everything without knowing anything at the same time as to the future of the Denver WRs.  If Bridgewater is the QB, I trust him to find Jeudy's route running and physical talents superior to Sutton.  If Drew Lock is the QB - I am not sure he has much going on upstairs and anything is possible. 

And Locke is the biggest problem there.  Who will be there longer Locke or jeudy?  Hmmm 

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy has third year breakout written all over him.   That offense is going to suck until they get an actual qb in there and by the end of the year you'll probably be able to get jeudy for wr3 prices.  Hold/wait.

Sometimes talent can overcome a bad QB situation...see Allen Robinson last year.

At an ADP of WR37/89.5 overall...I like the risk reward.

Sometimes talent can overcome a bad QB situation...see Allen Robinson last year.

At an ADP of WR37/89.5 overall...I like the risk reward.
The problem with the Arob comp is that Robinson was the only game in town. The problem here is that Lock is bad but he might also spread the ball around to Jeudy, Sutton, Fant, even Hamler, making them all useless for fantasy

Call me crazy, but I'm all in on this breakout. I seem to have him on just about all of my teams because at a certain point I feel his upside is too good to pass up. I recognize the problems that could arise, but the upside is undeniable in my eyes.

To use the Sigmund phrase... drumbeat.  There is a drumbeat building around Jeudy, and taking all the good news with his known talent and pedigree, this just feels like an obvious value at his current ADP.  It's not just beat writers raving about him, players are as well.  Even looking at clips from last year, he displayed plenty of ability to get open, but he was obviously trying to do too much, and was pretty openly frustrated.  It sounds like there is some more maturity this year, I'm buying the hype.  

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
While I agree with you, I'm so excited for the games to start so I can stop seeing/hearing people (especially in trade negotiations) saying things about camp performances. Let's see it on the field!

It sounds like you're a buyer? Aren't the camp performances (along with college performance/draft pedigree) a big part of the reason people want to buy? 😉

I have him in one dynasty league, and people are definitely asking about him. If the trade gets into back and forth discussions, I'll definitely cite "I like what I'm reading. Sounds like a clear hold to me. However, I'd consider..." 

The time to turn two or three lesser players into Jeudy has probably passed. Now it's "Jeudy + ?? for a better player". 

It sounds like you're a buyer? Aren't the camp performances (along with college performance/draft pedigree) a big part of the reason people want to buy? 😉

I have him in one dynasty league, and people are definitely asking about him. If the trade gets into back and forth discussions, I'll definitely cite "I like what I'm reading. Sounds like a clear hold to me. However, I'd consider..." 

The time to turn two or three lesser players into Jeudy has probably passed. Now it's "Jeudy + ?? for a better player". 
Yes I'm a buyer so it's great to hear but I also take that stuff with a grain of salt in most cases. This was more of a general comment rather than why I would or would not buy. I just want to see (not just Jeudy) who can and cannot perform. I'm getting anxious!

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 1 against the Giants.

This is good news after Jeudy was carted off with what looked like a serious injury. High ankle sprains typically come with 4-6 week timetables. The Broncos are likely to place Jeudy on IR, but he'll have a chance at an October return if he avoids setbacks. Tim Patrick and KJ Hamler will see an increase in targets with Jeudy sidelined.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 12, 2021, 6:45 PM ET

Based on the video I saw -- as well as my extensive medical training at the Twitter School of Medicine -- I was sure it was broken. Certainly happy for his sake.

For fantasy purposes, though, it may be better, but will probably just be more annoying. I'm hearing 6-8 weeks, but of course with a HAS there's a good chance he won't be usable even when he does initially come back. So then the question is whether it's worth holding onto him (no IR spots in my league).

Other question is whether to try to pick up his replacement on Denver, and if so, whether to target Patrick or Hamler. Feels like Patrick was getting more run yesterday (and of course got the TD), but Hamler has more upside. Not sure either of them will become usable starters, although if Sutton struggles getting back up to speed, there could be an opportunity there.

Based on the video I saw -- as well as my extensive medical training at the Twitter School of Medicine -- I was sure it was broken. Certainly happy for his sake.

For fantasy purposes, though, it may be better, but will probably just be more annoying. I'm hearing 6-8 weeks, but of course with a HAS there's a good chance he won't be usable even when he does initially come back. So then the question is whether it's worth holding onto him (no IR spots in my league).

Other question is whether to try to pick up his replacement on Denver, and if so, whether to target Patrick or Hamler. Feels like Patrick was getting more run yesterday (and of course got the TD), but Hamler has more upside. Not sure either of them will become usable starters, although if Sutton struggles getting back up to speed, there could be an opportunity there.
I am in the same boat with losing Jeudy.  I can IR him though.  But the other options in Denver intrigue me.  Last year I owned Patrick part of the year and he did reasonably well.  The main difference I see between him and Hamler is that Hamler is more of a go deep guy.  I think with Teddy at QB the WR who runs the more intermediate/shorter routes are going to get targeted more as Teddy is not an air it out kind of QB.  For that reason, I am prioritizing Patrick over Hamler.  

I am in the same boat with losing Jeudy.  I can IR him though.  But the other options in Denver intrigue me.  Last year I owned Patrick part of the year and he did reasonably well.  The main difference I see between him and Hamler is that Hamler is more of a go deep guy.  I think with Teddy at QB the WR who runs the more intermediate/shorter routes are going to get targeted more as Teddy is not an air it out kind of QB.  For that reason, I am prioritizing Patrick over Hamler.  
I'm also looking for replacements for Jeudy, but not sure I want any of the other Broncos WRs. Even without Jeudy, it's a crowded crew with Sutton, Patrick, Hamler, Fant and even Albert O. That and I don't see a very heavy pass volume in general with the commitment to the run and what looks to be a pretty solid defense that should keep the games close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it live - I was sure it was broken. 

Because the fumble was under review, I watched it 3 more times, twice in slow motion. 

I am in absolute disbelief that his ankle wasn't broken. His foot literally folded sideways with a defender's knee on it, while his body/momentum carried him in the wrong direction. I didn't know human bones could take that & not snap. 

Even after the play, the way his foot was pointing awkwardly away from center & the way Jeudy reacted - I was positive it was a break. 

Crazy. I, too, am happy for the kid. This will be a muti-week absence (possibly multi-month) but that's better than a break. 

I never want to see that play again. Just one of those fluky tackles that goes wrong in a hurry. :(  

I'm also looking for replacements for Jeudy, but not sure I want any of the other Broncos WRs. Even without Jeudy, it's a crowded crew with Sutton, Patrick, Hamler, Fant and even Albert O. That and I don't see a very heavy pass volume in general with the commitment to the run and what looks to be a pretty solid defense that should keep the games close.
I kind of agree with both of you. However, assuming I end up dropping Jeudy, I'm not sure there are many other WRs worth targeting based on yesterday's production. Most of the big numbers came from guys who hit on one big play (VJefferson, DHarris) or the been-there-done-that crowd (Amendola, Kirk). I suppose there's Juwan Johnson, who has WR/TE eligibility in Yahoo and seems to be the red-zone threat we were promised, but his line (3/21/2) seems as unsustainable as, well, Jameis throwing for 150/5.

Not saying there is definite value in Denver. But it might be worth giving it a couple weeks to monitor (at least until the next hot WW prospect emerges). As it is I'm probably going to have to start Agholor or Callaway in my flex, so definitely looking for some good options.

Users who are viewing this thread