What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jerry Jeudy, CLE (1 Viewer)

For anyone who listens to the Audible podcast, Cecil Lammey’s words have been in my head every draft like an ear worm/commercial jingle (byyyyyy-MEN-nen ..... Cooo-STAN-za .... draaaft-JEU-dy). “However early you’re drafting Jerry Jeudy, it’s not early enough.” I’m heavily invested and counting on you, Cecil! 
I learned a long time ago not to depend on rookie WRs or TEs out of the gate.  How many times does it have to be proven to people?  Yes, there are exceptions, but what percentage?   Having said that, I love Jeudy and expect him to be an all-pro at some point.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned a long time ago not to depend on rookie WRs or TEs out of the gate.  How many times does it have to be proven to people?  Yes, there are exceptions, but what percentage?   Having said that, I love Jeudy and expect him to be an all-pro at some point.  
Yes, hyperbole aside I wouldn’t be taking him high. For every Terry McLaurin It seems like there are a dozen Laquon Treadwells. But I am gladly taking a shot on upside with Jeudy over some of the tired WRs I am often looking at in the same draft range. 

This guy is an Amari Cooper / Calvin Ridley clone. And he may have just ascended to 1a in Denver's offense. For whatever that's worth in 2020.

If Sutton sits, I'm highly tempted to start Jermarvin this weekend as my WR3 (over Edelman)!

:popcorn:

Jerry Jeudy is NFL-ready receiver primed for “phenomenal” career with Broncos

The quick move, equal parts shimmy and juke, allowed Alabama receiver Jerry Jeudy to get past Michigan cornerback Lavert Hill’s futile attempt at press coverage. And just as suddenly, Jeudy looked back toward quarterback Mac Jones and raised his right hand.

Jeudy was open. Again.

He had used his route-running to gain the advantage. Again.

And he was in a position to make a touchdown catch. Again.

Alas, Jones underthrew Jeudy, who improvised to draw a pass interference penalty on Hill and set up a Crimson Tide touchdown in a 35-16 Citrus Bowl win. But the play exhibited one of the many reasons why the Broncos selected Jeudy 15th overall in April’s draft.

They coveted an NFL-ready receiver to play opposite Courtland Sutton, a player who will be able to signal quarterback Drew Lock he is open for an explosive completion.

Jeudy, who will debut Sept. 14 against Tennessee, could buck the trend that sees first-year receivers struggle adjusting to the pro game.

“He’ll make the transition quickly,” ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky said. “What he does best is the hardest thing to teach receivers — run routes to get open.”

The Broncos need Jeudy to make the transition quickly to help end a four-year offensive malaise that coincides with their playoff drought.

Only the New York Jets and Cleveland have averaged fewer points per game than the Broncos (19.3) during that span. Only the Jets, Arizona and Buffalo have averaged fewer yards per play than the Broncos (5.1). On and on we could go, but the point is clear — a B12 shot was required in the form of re-stocking the cupboard over the last two drafts.

In mid-August, Lock was asked about Jeudy and he paused while smiling as if he was plotting his options: Heap praise and make comparisons or be matter-of-fact? Lock chose the latter.

“We’ll say Jerry is pretty good; we’ll put it that way,” he said. “I think the best thing I’ve seen out of Jerry is how hard he comes out and works every day and just how on top of it he is.”

Big things at ‘Bama

When did Jeudy realize he was good at football?

“My freshman year in high school,” he said. “In one game, I had four catches for four touchdowns and once I did that, I was like, ‘Oh, I’m pretty good,’ because I was never ‘The Guy,’ in little league football. But once I got to high school, I started working hard on my game and I got better each year.”

Jeudy said his favorite player as a kid was Reggie Bush, “because I was mostly into following running backs. When I started playing receiver, I liked Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Stefon Diggs — detailed route runners who had route creativity, too.”

Jeudy said he was a defensive back by trade until his junior year, when he started playing receiver. Smart move.

“I was around a great group of players and I felt like that greatness rubbed off on me and that helped me get into the situation I’m in now,” he said.

Jeudy had 117 catches for 1,554 yards and 25 touchdowns in his final two years of high school and continued the South Florida-to-Tuscaloosa receiver pipeline that began with Cooper and Ridley.

“Those guys were doing big things and I felt I could do the same,” Jeudy said.

The big things arrived following an apprentice season. As a true freshman, Jeudy had 14 catches for 264 yards and two touchdowns in 14 games.

Ridley then left for the NFL, which allowed Jeudy to enter the national spotlight. And he shined … all season long. Five 100-yard games. Fourteen touchdowns. A whopping per catch average of 19.3 yards (68 catches-1,315 yards). And winner of the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver.

Midway through that season, Lock and Jeudy were in the same stadium when Missouri played at Alabama.

“I was trying to find a way the SEC would let me play 12 guys on the field so I could put a guy at the line of scrimmage and a guy over the top,” then-Missouri coach Barry Odom joked in a recent telephone interview.

Jeudy caught three passes for 147 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown to start the scoring in a 39-10 rout of the Tigers.

Jeudy caught three passes for 147 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown to start the scoring in a 39-10 rout of the Tigers.

“Tremendous speed,” Odom said. “We wanted to try and eliminate the downfield, explosive plays, but then I was also worried about playing too far off and he catches a pass in space. He was dynamic in every area. I sure look forward to watching him play in the NFL.”

Going to be “phenomenal”

Before Jeudy’s junior year, Alabama coach Nick Saban had a message.

“He told me I needed to improve on my conditioning because I would go five plays and then get tired,” Jeudy said.

His stamina improved, Jeudy caught 77 passes for 1,163 yards and 10 touchdowns last fall. He could have easily skipped his final college game — NFL evaluators already had enough tape to see he was the real deal. But Jeudy’s want-to level meant he was in Orlando facing Michigan.

First play: Lined up in the right slot and given 15 yards of cushion, Jeudy ran a post route and scored an 85-yard touchdown.

Jeudy ended the game with eight catches for 204 yards and showed the versatility that should make him a popular target for Lock and a constant headache for defenses.

Jeudy caught passes after lining up in the right slot, wide right and bunch right against Michigan. He beat press coverage for a 21-yard gain. He turned a bubble screen into nine yards. A shallow cross netted 17 yards. He set up his defender by faking a go route and running an out for 14 yards. And his final college catch went for 58 yards on an over route.

Three-plus months later, the draft’s top three receivers were Jeudy, Alabama teammate Henry Ruggs and Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb. The top half of the opening round featured several teams who needed pass-catching help. No way Jeudy would reach the Broncos at No. 15, or at least that was the prevailing theory.

But in consecutive picks, the Jets selected Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton, Las Vegas drafted Ruggs (the spirit of Al Davis making the pick) and Tampa Bay took Iowa right tackle Tristan Wirfs.

Presto, general manager John Elway made Jeudy his first Alabama draft pick.

Jerry Jeudy caught 4-of-8 targets for 56 yards in the Broncos' Week 1 loss to the Titans.

With Courtland Sutton (shoulder) and KJ Hamler (hamstring) out, Jeudy led the Broncos in targets as the de facto No. 1 receiver. He just wasn't very efficient and had a really bad third-down drop over the middle on a would-be first down on a perfect throw from Drew Lock. The targets were a plus, but Sutton shouldn't be out very long and is Denver's unquestioned No. 1 receiver. Noah Fant caught Lock's lone touchdown on a nine-yarder. Jeudy is more of a WR4/5 headed into a Week 2 date with the Steelers.

Sep 15, 2020, 2:41 AM ET

Jackson: Why Broncos rookie Jerry Jeudy had the dropsies in his NFL debut

Think of your most embarrassing moment and multiply it by three. That’s what Jerry Jeudy is feeling after he dropped two passes in the Broncos’  loss to the Titans.

Your number one draft pick isn’t supposed to drop passes. He’s supposed to catch them and score touchdowns. Mr. Jeudy knows this, which is part of the reason he dropped them in the first place.

Everyone who watches Jeudy understands his talent. He has impressed his coaches and teammates at every level. Some dubbed Jeudy the “best player on the Broncos” without having seen him take a snap. His route running is superb. His quickness, unmatched. And his hands? Lathered in butter — at least last night.

So what makes a world-class pass-catcher drop an easy catch in an important game? Because Jeudy wasn’t having this problem in training camp. Sure, he had a few drops in August, but for the most part, his hands were consistently good during training camp. So what was it? Why the drops?

Young NFL receivers have a tendency to hurry through their routes, to believe they have less time to maneuver than they actually do. If a route calls for running 12 yards upfield, you’ll often find young receivers breaking at eight, nine, or 10 yards. This alters the timing of the play and makes the quarterback look bad. But in reality, the ball wasn’t late, the receiver was early.

So why do receivers hurry the game up in their heads? Because an NFL football play is chaotic, and the kinetic energy burns like a flame-thrower. You can feel how fast everyone else is moving around you, how urgent the moment is and how imminent an explosion awaits the end of every play. You do not want to get caught in those fireworks.

The same reason that makes you speed up routes makes you drop passes across the middle. The imminent explosion. You come across the middle as a receiver, you’re going to get hit. Hard. Both of Jeudy’s drops came on routes across the middle. Simply put, Jeudy heard footsteps. That’s industry talk for “he was scared to get hit.”

But I think it’s not so simple with Jeudy because of the skills he possesses, his ability to stop on a dime and avoid that explosion, just like he did in the first half.

In a sign of things to come for the Broncos rookie, Jeudy caught a pass coming across the middle, put his foot in the ground and came to a complete stop, almost defying physics, losing his defender and heading up the field in the opposite direction for a good chunk of yards after the catch. He felt the smoothness of this move and wanted to repeat it. He now knows he can do it in an NFL game against the best in the world. That one play was all the confidence he needed to go out in the second half, catch a similar pass and take it all the way to the … whoops. He forgot the “catch the ball” part.

And that is what I think happened to Jeudy last night. He saw the ball coming, and, before it hit his hands, starting thinking about his end zone dance.

One thing at a time, young man. Catch the ball first, then work your magic. You have more time than you think.

Assuming this guy is effectively the #3 receiving option in Denver behind a healthy Courtland Sutton and Noah Fant, and given that Denver doesn't figure to be a consistent offense juggernaut, is Jeudy still worth rostering in small leagues?

Not sure why you see Fant as the higher option.  Jeudy out-targeted Fant Monday, and based on his pedigree, I believe he will be Denver’s number one receiver by the end of the season.  Unless you’re in a 10 team league, can’t imagine why you’d consider dropping him.  At least let your league mates know he’s available.  Have a feeling you’ll get a tasty trade offer.

Assuming this guy is effectively the #3 receiving option in Denver behind a healthy Courtland Sutton and Noah Fant, and given that Denver doesn't figure to be a consistent offense juggernaut, is Jeudy still worth rostering in small leagues?
Not sure about that. He might the #1 no matter what soon. 

Totally agree.   Still believe Jeudy is the best WR of this extremely talented group of rookie WRs.  
I dunno. He's talented, but he's also bow-legged, skinny and seems to be a bit scared to go over the middle if game 1 and his dropsees as a senior are an indication.

After week 1, I'm most impressed by CeeDee, Ruggs, Shenault and the kid on the Stillers. Curious to see Ayuik - that dude is smooth and has arms down to his ankles.

I dunno. He's talented, but he's also bow-legged, skinny and seems to be a bit scared to go over the middle if game 1 and his dropsees as a senior are an indication.

After week 1, I'm most impressed by CeeDee, Ruggs, Shenault and the kid on the Stillers. Curious to see Ayuik - that dude is smooth and has arms down to his ankles.
I'd list them in that order too, but it's week 1. I have a feeling, seeing Jeudy run routes at an elite level in the NFL, that this three horse race between CeeDee, Ruggs, and Jeudy will persist. 

I see this kind of thing said about him all the time, but am I the only one who just plain doesn't see it? He's almost the exact same size as Chad Johnson was in the NFL (actually a few lbs heavier), and Calvin Ridley is also the same size. Marvin Harrison would be another example in recent history. I don't think he looks notably "skinny" at all, really. CeeDee Lamb was listed at a nearly identical height/weight to Jeudy in college.

I guess in summary I'm not at all worried about Jeudy's physical measurements, while it seems like a lot of people I see comment online are. Am I crazy?

I see this kind of thing said about him all the time, but am I the only one who just plain doesn't see it? He's almost the exact same size as Chad Johnson was in the NFL (actually a few lbs heavier), and Calvin Ridley is also the same size. Marvin Harrison would be another example in recent history. I don't think he looks notably "skinny" at all, really. CeeDee Lamb was listed at a nearly identical height/weight to Jeudy in college.

I guess in summary I'm not at all worried about Jeudy's physical measurements, while it seems like a lot of people I see comment online are. Am I crazy?
No. Being "skinny" didn't impact James Lofton. Size didn't matter for Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, etc. Your comparison to Lamb is a good one. We do see players "looking" or "playing" more physical, which may color the perception -- not sure Jeudy is the same kind of physical ball-fighter as Lamb, but I don't see Jeudy not having the attributes to compete for balls and be physical.

He just needs to have the game slow down, and trust in his skill. His route running is top tier in this league right now.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
No. Being "skinny" didn't impact James Lofton. Size didn't matter for Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, etc. Your comparison to Lamb is a good one. We do see players "looking" or "playing" more physical, which may color the perception -- not sure Jeudy is the same kind of physical ball-fighter as Lamb, but I don't see Jeudy not having the attributes to compete for balls and be physical.

He just needs to have the game slow down, and trust in his skill. His route running is top tier in this league right now.
There are many different varieties of skinny. There's skinny fat (most of the world's 33+ yr old skinnies). There's skinny strong (all the WR names you listed, plus Snoop and Stylebender). Not sure exactly what Jeudy is or will be; except that for now at least, he is not skinny strong. Ruggs fits into that category much better.

Plus look at how he walks. Seriously. Duck-legged. Dude just looks, I dunno, a bit floppy physically, for lack of a better description. And yet he has the jukes of a samurai. Good on him for that. Better stop dropping those balls in traffic tho, b/c as of right now at least, he has neither the speed nor strength to be a star on the perimeter. Amari and Calvin Rids seem much physically stronger to me - even when they were rookies.

There are many different varieties of skinny. There's skinny fat (most of the world's 33+ yr old skinnies). There's skinny strong (all the WR names you listed, plus Snoop and Stylebender). Not sure exactly what Jeudy is or will be; except that for now at least, he is not skinny strong. Ruggs fits into that category much better.

Plus look at how he walks. Seriously. Duck-legged. Dude just looks, I dunno, a bit floppy physically, for lack of a better description. And yet he has the jukes of a samurai. Good on him for that. Better stop dropping those balls in traffic tho, b/c as of right now at least, he has neither the speed nor strength to be a star on the perimeter. Amari and Calvin Rids seem much physically stronger to me - even when they were rookies.
I wouldn't know, I've been husky my entire life.

Also wouldn't know about how Jeudy walks, but that sure didn't stop him in college.

I do know he's only played one game. Think of guys like Bradshaw, Aikman, Roddy White, Jimmy Smith, even Walter Payton in their first seasons, let alone first game.

I also know you are right that he may not and never be a physical WR -- but I am not sure that limits his success. To be fair, Cooper isn't that kind of guy either and his problems with drops extended more than a game.

Jeudy does need to adjust quickly --  the NFL is a whole other ball of wax than college. 

It’s been one game.  He had no preseason and a limited offseason.    I know the whole point of this thread is to over analyze Jeudy but it seems silly sometimes.   The kid has serious WR skills.  Pretty sure that he has a really good chance of doing well in the NFL  it may take 6 games or 16 games but those skills are going to show up.   

Jerry Jeudy caught 4-of-7 targets for 62 yards in the Broncos' Week 2 loss to the Steelers.   

Jeudy missed some time in the first half after taking a mammoth hit on an over-the-middle catch. The rookie has drawn 15 targets over two games and should continue to be an every-week option in 12-team PPR leagues. Jeudy could benefit from negative game script next week when the Broncos play the Bucs. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly? I am not overwhelmed.

Jeudy dropped at least two balls that I saw that he should have caught. Ones that hit his hands that should have been reeled in. On both, he headed to the bench right afterwards, and on one of those instances the next play was a four-wide set.

I am not sounding alarm bells, but I do know that two weeks of dropping balls he should have caught is now a trend.

One he can turn around, but I until he shows some consistency and gets the confidence of whomever is under center, I may be looking for other options to start.

Honestly? I am not overwhelmed.

Jeudy dropped at least two balls that I saw that he should have caught. Ones that hit his hands that should have been reeled in. On both, he headed to the bench right afterwards, and on one of those instances the next play was a four-wide set.

I am not sounding alarm bells, but I do know that two weeks of dropping balls he should have caught is now a trend.

One he can turn around, but I until he shows some consistency and gets the confidence of whomever is under center, I may be looking for other options to start.
He tried to play tougher over the middle early - (admirably) caught a ball into traffic and immediately got his bell rung hard by an LB. Left the field, I thot for sure he was concussed and done for the day. Came back in later and seemed to have the yips the next time I saw him try to make a play in that same area. This guy isn't built to go over the middle, but as I said upthread, from what I've seen during these first two weeks, I don't think he has the speed or strength to play on the outside either. Maybe he needs a couple years to develop, or maybe he's another one of the long list of names who balled out in college, but couldn't translate to the NFL. We'll see; it's only been two games.

Way early still but I never saw a #1 WR. Maybe he works hard and improves as we move forward. I'm certainly not claiming victory on him yet. 
I never felt any way about him but noticed lack of separation against the Steelers. I now agree with your assessment without saying its definitive. 

JohnnyU said:
I'm glad to have Jeudy right now.   You're right about Fant, but watch Jeudy excel as the season progresses.
Jeudy has all the opportunity now to pull his game together.

Agree with you and @cloppbeast that Fant is going to be the biggest benefactor and looks to be the most polished/reliable receiver, but they are going to need more than one guy. Driskel was clearly looking for Sutton before he was injured, so developing chemistry there will help as well.

Mike Mayock said last preseason that he thought Darren Waller looked like Noah Fant. I can see the comp for sure. Mayock's eye is gold to me at this point, and hopefully we all saw what Waller is tonight.

Also, lots of pressure on Jerry's Jeudy now. Kinda feel bad for the guy TBH. Expectation and need for performance as a rookie are way too high. I went back to page 1 of this thread last night. Yikes. (Still rostering him on my redraft squad. Not sure for how much longer tho. He should be a target hog for ROS, which will make him decently startable, but this whole team could fall apart very soon after losing their top O and D players in the last two weeks.)

Mike Mayock said last preseason that he thought Darren Waller looked like Noah Fant. I can see the comp for sure. Mayock's eye is gold to me at this point, and hopefully we all saw what Waller is tonight.

Also, lots of pressure on Jerry's Jeudy now. Kinda feel bad for the guy TBH. Expectation and need for performance as a rookie are way too high. I went back to page 1 of this thread last night. Yikes. (Still rostering him on my redraft squad. Not sure for how much longer tho. He should be a target hog for ROS, which will make him decently startable, but this whole team could fall apart very soon after losing their top O and D players in the last two weeks.)
Jeudy May struggle as he learns the game on the fly as a rookie but he will get targets.   If I owned Jeudy, I would hold.   

Jeudy May struggle as he learns the game on the fly as a rookie but he will get targets.   If I owned Jeudy, I would hold.   
I initially drafted Jeidy as my #4-5 WR.  Behind starters McLaurin and AJ Brown, together with CeeDee Lamb and Preston Williams.

So far I am in a holding pattern.  I grabbed Corey Davis to replace AJ and so far it's all good.  But Jeudy has about 2 more games to show he merits a roster spot before I have to use it for something else.  Hoping he has a break out game soon. 

I initially drafted Jeidy as my #4-5 WR.  Behind starters McLaurin and AJ Brown, together with CeeDee Lamb and Preston Williams.

So far I am in a holding pattern.  I grabbed Corey Davis to replace AJ and so far it's all good.  But Jeudy has about 2 more games to show he merits a roster spot before I have to use it for something else.  Hoping he has a break out game soon. 
Ooof, I'm sorry you invested so heavily in youth (and a player 10 months removed from a torn ACL) in the worst offseason for rookies in the history of the league.  I'm assuming this is redraft, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread