What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRUMP TO INFINITY AND BEYOND HQ - The Great and Positive Place (10 Viewers)

Arsenal of Doom said:
It's unambiguous what he meant in the context of the full press conference. 

ETA: Link to the transcript
Fwiw this whole speech and event was nuts. Look at the beginning, it's a jumble of ideas.

Donald Trump: (00:05)
Well, thank you very much. This is a very big day for our country. It’s affirmation of all the work we’ve been doing, really for three and a half years. This isn’t just over the last few months. This is for three and a half years. And it’s a great thing. We were very strong. We had the greatest economy in the history of our country. We had the greatest economy in the history of the world. And that strength let us get through this horrible pandemic, largely through. I think we’re doing really well. Vaccines, by the way, I had a meeting yesterday on vaccines. We’re doing incredibly well with that. I think you’re going to have some very positive surprises. And therapeutics, likewise, we’re doing extremely well. Cures, we’re doing well. I think those two words really blend in with each other, but tremendous progress is being made on vaccines. In fact, we have ready to go in terms of transportation and logistics. We have over two million ready to go, if it checks out for safety. And it’s also, the nice part is we have four companies, I guess you could even say seven or eight companies, that are doing some similar and some very different on the vaccine front. And some similar and somewhat different on the therapeutic front. So tremendous progress is being made on that. And I think even without that, and I have to say, even without that, and I don’t think you’re going to be having to use that in the future, that statement, “Even without,” because I think they’re going to have it. But we’re going to be back and we’re opening our country. And I hope that the lockdown governors, I don’t know why they continue to lock down. Because if you look at Georgia, if you look at Florida, if you look at South Carolina, if you look at so many different places that have opened up, I don’t want to name all of them, but the ones that are most energetic about opening, they are doing tremendous business. And this is what these numbers are all about. And you have to remember one other thing. Very importantly, I think it’s extremely important for you to remember that many of our states are closed or almost closed. Some of the big ones, New York, New Jersey. They’ll start. They’re starting now to get open. I hope. And I hope that you also use our National Guard. Call me. We’ll be ready for them so fast their heads will spin. We did it in Minnesota, in Minneapolis. We were incredible. They were ripping that place apart. I love it. We had such success there. And they were ripping it apart. And I called the governor and the National Guard went in. In one night it was over. You don’t see the problem in Minnesota now at all. Not even a little bit. You take a look at a great city. It just great, great city, Minneapolis. And it was under siege like nobody’s ever seen. Where people are running from a police department, the great police, and they were told to. They didn’t want to run. They were told to. It’s bad, bad governing. And I’m not blaming the governor. I’m blaming the mayor. But we want to get all of this finished. This is a great tribute. What we’re announcing today is a tremendous tribute to equality. We’re bringing our jobs back. When we had our tremendous numbers. And when we had just prior to the China plague that floated in, we had numbers, the best in history for African American, for Hispanic American, and for Asian American and for everybody. Best for women, best for people without a diploma, young people without a diploma. I mean so many different categories. Our numbers were the best in almost every category.

Yeah, but the "great day for George Floyd" was a specific reference to equality of treatment from law enforcement.  This is not ambiguous:

"IN NEW YORK, WHERE THEY ARE BREAKING IN STORES. YOU CANNOT LET IT HAPPEN. EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW MUST MEAN THAT EVERY AMERICAN RECEIVES EQUAL TREATMENT IN EVERY ENCOUNTER WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT, REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, GENDER, CREED. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE FAIR TREATMENT FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE IT. WE SAW WHAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN. HOPEFULLY, GEORGE IS LOOKING DOWN RIGHT NOW AND SAYING, THERE IS A GREAT THING HAPPENING IN OUR COUNTRY. IT IS A GREAT DAY FOR HIM. IT IS A GREAT DAY FOR EVERYBODY. THIS IS A GREAT DAY. THIS IS A GREAT, GREAT DAY IN TERMS OF EQUALITY. IT IS REALLY WHAT OUR CONSTITUTION REQUIRES. IT IS WHAT OUR COUNTRY IS ALL ABOUT."
This whole thing, I mean I agree with both of you & AOD (earlier Trump equated a good economy with equality, later here yes he seems to suggest protecting business owners as equality) but this idea of equality you refer to as he mentions it is all screwed up:

It’s now time for us to work together as we rebuild, renew and recover the great promise of America, and that’s true, we’re going to work together. It’ll all work out. It’ll all work out. Some governors may need a little help yet, but I think for the most part, they are in good shape. We have a fantastic military. We have fantastic national guard. National guard was barely used and these people have done an unbelievable job. They helped the secret service at Washington. Secret service by the way, are unbelievable. The job they did at the white house is unbelievable. There was never any form of like, “Oh gee, this sounds dangerous.” All I could see is what I was seeing on television. But they were outside. And the secret service was incredible, but we were also helped by the DC police and we were helped by the national guard was unbelievable. They came in and they… This was like a piece of cake. And I really am suggesting because if you look at Minnesota and the great success we had there, and other places, I’m suggesting to some of these governors that are too proud in New York, you see what’s going on there. Don’t be proud, get the job done. You’ll end up looking much better in the end. Call in the national guard, call me. We’ll have so many people, more people than you have to dominate the streets. You can’t let what’s happening happen. It’s called dominate the streets. You can’t let that happen in New York where they’re breaking into stores and all of the things. And by the way, hurting many small businesses, you can’t let it happen. Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement, regardless of race, color, gender or creed, they have to receive fair treatment from law enforcement. They have to receive it. We all saw what happened last week. We can’t let that happen. Hopefully George is looking down right now and saying, “This is a great thing that’s happening for our country.” This is a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality. It’s really what our constitution requires and it’s what our country is all about.
- There's something severely lacking in the guy, like he doesn't understand the concept everyone is talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but the "great day for George Floyd" was a specific reference to equality of treatment from law enforcement.  This is not ambiguous:

"IN NEW YORK, WHERE THEY ARE BREAKING IN STORES. YOU CANNOT LET IT HAPPEN. EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW MUST MEAN THAT EVERY AMERICAN RECEIVES EQUAL TREATMENT IN EVERY ENCOUNTER WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT, REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, GENDER, CREED. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE FAIR TREATMENT FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE IT. WE SAW WHAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN. HOPEFULLY, GEORGE IS LOOKING DOWN RIGHT NOW AND SAYING, THERE IS A GREAT THING HAPPENING IN OUR COUNTRY. IT IS A GREAT DAY FOR HIM. IT IS A GREAT DAY FOR EVERYBODY. THIS IS A GREAT DAY. THIS IS A GREAT, GREAT DAY IN TERMS OF EQUALITY. IT IS REALLY WHAT OUR CONSTITUTION REQUIRES. IT IS WHAT OUR COUNTRY IS ALL ABOUT."
Throughout his comments Trump repeatedly made remarks about it being “a great day” and always in the context of the economy. If you watch, he appears to read the lines about fair and equal treatment off his notes, then goes back to speaking off-script. First referencing the riots/looting, then Floyd looking down, then it being a great day for equality. 

So it goes back to the earlier question, why did he say it was a great day for equality and/or fair and equal treatment? The most plausible answer for what Trump meant is exactly what he explicitly said, that the job numbers made it a great day for equality. Alternatively, maybe he meant that the strong showing of police/military force to put down riots made it a good day in the context of equal treatment? That seems like a less generous interpretation for Trump. Neither seem like things George Floyd would endorse, which is the problem with what Trump said. 

Throughout his comments Trump repeatedly made remarks about it being “a great day” and always in the context of the economy. If you watch, he appears to read the lines about fair and equal treatment off his notes, then goes back to speaking off-script. First referencing the riots/looting, then Floyd looking down, then it being a great day for equality. 

So it goes back to the earlier question, why did he say it was a great day for equality and/or fair and equal treatment? The most plausible answer for what Trump meant is exactly what he explicitly said, that the job numbers made it a great day for equality. Alternatively, maybe he meant that the strong showing of police/military force to put down riots made it a good day in the context of equal treatment? That seems like a less generous interpretation for Trump. Neither seem like things George Floyd would endorse, which is the problem with what Trump said. 
Sure seemed like he thought George looking down from heaven would think these job numbers was a great day for everyone. The presser was specifically called to cheer about the new job numbers, not racial equality.

And you are right, we still don't why he said it was a great day for equality and/or fair and equal treatment.

:thumbup:   Nothing wrong with honoring George during a presser about the job numbers.   I have no idea (actually I do) why you guys need to get worked up about talking about more than one thing at a time.  

Your point is noted, but will never be taken.  When people continue to provide false and misleading narratives, I will always correct and provide the proper context.  It would be decent of people coming into this thread with "Orange Mad Bad" bias posting, to simply take a fair and unbiased position.  There are plenty of threads on these boards where they can spout their unbiased crap.  It doesn't fly in this thread.   
People saying he was referring to the economy are being misleading and should be called out for it, but let's not pretend the actual context made Trump look much better. 

EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW MUST MEAN THAT EVERY AMERICAN RECEIVES EQUAL TREATMENT IN EVERY ENCOUNTER WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT, REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, GENDER, CREED. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE FAIR TREATMENT FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Why would Floyd be looking down happily just because the President said this when there was nothing that actually happened in terms of a bill passed or law changed that would help change this?

People saying he was referring to the economy are being misleading and should be called out for it, but let's not pretend the actual context made Trump look much better. 

EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW MUST MEAN THAT EVERY AMERICAN RECEIVES EQUAL TREATMENT IN EVERY ENCOUNTER WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT, REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, GENDER, CREED. THEY HAVE TO RECEIVE FAIR TREATMENT FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Why would Floyd be looking down happily just because the President said this when there was nothing that actually happened in terms of a bill passed or law changed that would help change this?
Why indeed? A point that I and others have repeatedly raised without receiving a reasonable explanation.

I was trying to be a little nicer and subtle about it. I don't get the don't@ me comment. 
Wasn't directed towards you, sorry.  From Urban Dictionary "Don't @ me":  A phrase used when you say a factual statement that you know others who view your feed wont agree with.

I get reported *A LOT* in this forum, so I'm just trying to be proactive with the last one. :thumbup:

You can't give equal treatment through reform on this topic.  It has to come from personal accountability.  

Wasn't directed towards you, sorry.  From Urban Dictionary "Don't @ me":  A phrase used when you say a factual statement that you know others who view your feed wont agree with.

I get reported *A LOT* in this forum, so I'm just trying to be proactive with the last one. :thumbup:
How do you know you get reported a lot ? I have a feeling I do but have no way of actually knowing 

How do you know you get reported a lot ? I have a feeling I do but have no way of actually knowing 
Ohhhh, you guys. :blush:

I'm reminded ALL THE TIME in here that I have a bunch of mod friends.  They race to bat phone to inform me each time I'm reported.  Man, that line is HOT :shrug:

I'm just kidding, fellas.  Peace to all!

Actually sending a cease and desist letter to CNN because he doesn’t like the poll. 

Publicly announcing he won’t remove any Confederate names from army bases. 

Has Larry Kudlow give an interview and say there is no systemic racism in this country; I think this is the third old white man in the Trump Administration to tell us this. 

They’re floundering. I think it might be over. 

Actually sending a cease and desist letter to CNN because he doesn’t like the poll. 

Publicly announcing he won’t remove any Confederate names from army bases. 

Has Larry Kudlow give an interview and say there is no systemic racism in this country; I think this is the third old white man in the Trump Administration to tell us this. 

They’re floundering. I think it might be over. 
Candace Owens to the rescue?

Since I refuse to watch her YouTube videos and despite repeated requests, none of her fans who rave about her in this thread could tell me what she stands for. So, I checked out her Twitter account and one tweet told me everything I need to know about her.

Candace Owens @RealCandaceO 4h

I’m always confused by people who say things like “Don’t you see yourself in George Floyd”

No. Why?

Do all White people see themselves in Ted Bundy?

Do all Chinese people see themselves in Mao Zedong?

If you expect me to relate to people based on skin tone, you’re an idiot...

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1270756015324225536
:(

Since I refuse to watch her YouTube videos and despite repeated requests, none of her fans who rave about her in this thread could tell me what she stands for. So, I checked out her Twitter account and one tweet told me everything I need to know about her.

Pretty much. There’s a lot of right wing commentators I don’t think much of these days, but this one appears to be especially tasteless and disgusting. 

How would you know if you get reported a lot in this forum?

PANDERING

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!
You need to be patient with these sorts of arguments. Your party is about to take a huge beating. When it’s over you’ll have lost the Presidency and the Senate and the current batch of Republicans will have been completely repudiated. Once you’ve recovered from that and hopefully tossed all the Trumpers and nativists out of your party, your criticism will have more power. 

You need to be patient with these sorts of arguments. Your party is about to take a huge beating. When it’s over you’ll have lost the Presidency and the Senate and the current batch of Republicans will have been completely repudiated. Once you’ve recovered from that and hopefully tossed all the Trumpers and nativists out of your party, your criticism will have more power. 
....says the one who won't be bothered to watch the video of the opposing side to have a discussion

You'll understand if I laugh my ### off and mention you once or twice....or a few hundred times in November....right?

So many spikes to be made.....so few balls with which to do it!

....says the one who won't be bothered to watch the video of the opposing side to have a discussion

You'll understand if I laugh my ### off and mention you once or twice....or a few hundred times in November....right?

So many spikes to be made.....so few balls with which to do it!
You’re absolutely welcome to laugh at me and rub it in if I’m wrong. If Trump wins I will come in here, eat my crow and congratulate you. You can watch my head explode in real time. I won’t hide, I won’t run away. I never do that. 
But if it goes as I expect, I won’t laugh at you. I won’t rub it in or tell you I told you so. I’ll simply do the same thing I will do now- try to empathize with the issues that concern you and those like you, offer my hand in friendship and good wishes and hope we can find ways to agree in the future. 

"how we doin' team?"

-usually what i say in golf when i already made double bogey and riding in the cart
Look at Arnold Palmer over here, hitting double bogeys. It's a good round for me if I leave with the same amount of golf balls as I had when I started.

Like your Twitter account?

There's similar messages to Owens' from a lot of black conservatives. She just happens to have a big audience & she's more outspoken. That's one of the things I like about her. 

The more unorthodox she is, the better. You reach more people that way. Owens wouldn't be doing her job if she wasn't triggering people. You win inch by inch. 

Black people have been voting Dem forever. Looks like they aren't too happy. BLM was formed during Obama.

This is a battle we're going to win. When Brees can't stand on his opinion & black conservatives get called Uncle Tom, it's time to throw down. You don't get to be the decider of opinions.

I'm sorry, but that culture sucks. It really does. 

There's similar messages to Owens' from a lot of black conservatives. She just happens to have a big audience & she's more outspoken. That's one of the things I like about her. 

The more unorthodox she is, the better. You reach more people that way. Owens wouldn't be doing her job if she wasn't triggering people. You win inch by inch. 

Black people have been voting Dem forever. Looks like they aren't too happy. BLM was formed during Obama.

This is a battle we're going to win. We have to win. When Brees can't stand on his opinion & black conservatives get called Uncle Tom, it's time to throw down. You don't get to be gthe decider of opinions.

I'm sorry, but that culture sucks. It really does. 
Which was not a reaction against Obama or his presidency.

If you were to take a poll of BLM members today regarding how they feel about Obama and how they feel about Trump...what do think the results would be?

If you were to take a poll of BLM members today regarding how they feel about Obama and how they feel about Trump...what do think the results would be?
Really? Not a reaction to the times during Obama? 

What about Trump?

They'd be required to say Obama (obviously).

BTW, were you the one who chastised me for saying BLM '"member" & asked if there was a membership card?

If so, got ya. ;)

What a time in our history. Paw Patrol gets canceled cuz of woke.

Woke, you are officially canceled by me. I gave you a chance. Your message is awesome, but another messenger is needed.

What a time in our history. Paw Patrol gets canceled cuz of woke.

Woke, you are officially canceled by me. I gave you a chance. Your message is awesome, but another messenger is needed.
Is that really true? What a sad state we are in. Demonizing all police cause a bad one was caught....awesome. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And the same thing will happen again. Only this time President Trump will go higher than 50% in Gallup. 

Most people are looking on in shock right now at what cancel culture is doing to this country. Watch and see my friend. Biden is the cancel culture candidate.

Who’s ready for all Washington and Jefferson statues to come down? 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/08/18/cnns_angela_rye_washington_jefferson_statues_need_to_come_down.html

So let me offer further reasoning why the current poll numbers are going to hold or get worse, and November is going to be terrible for both Trump and the Republican Party: 

1. The Democrats are passing a bill in Congress that bans federal funding for police forces that use chokeholds, creates a national database for bad cops, and removes the “qualified immunity” that makes it so difficult for police to be prosecuted when they commit bad acts. All of these proposals are heavily supported by the American public. President Trump is opposed and has warned he will veto. But it won’t reach his desk because McConnell won’t let this bill ever see the light of day. Instead the Republicans are pushing their own bill in which chokeholds and qualified immunity are to be studied further with no action taken now. So basically we are seeing a repeat of the gun control story, in which after a mass shooting the vast majority of the public want moderate proposals passed and the GOP won’t allow them. At the same time as this is going on, several members of the Trump administration, all of them old white men, have gone on television in the last few days and advised us that systemic racism does not exist. 

2. In Arizona, the pandemic is spiking again. Hospital beds are filling up at an alarming rate. This is the result not of the protests but of the stage opening up too soon. We have no idea how bad the the protests have made things; we won’t know for a few weeks. Of course if the protests caused things to get worse, as most medical experts fear,  thats hardly the fault of Trump and the Republicans. Yet Trump continues to act as if the pandemic is over; the other day he said that its down to a few “embers that will soon fade away.” He’s planning to hold rallies and after that a “celebration convention” with huge crowds packed together. Amazingly he’s making the exact same mistakes he made in February and it’s going to crash down on him again just as it did in March, and all the while we still don’t have nearly enough tests or contract tracing. 

For these two reasons I don’t believe there is any way for Trump or the Republicans to win back the support of the American people by November. I honestly believe they’re going to get smoked. Trump is going to lose along the lines of Barry Goldwater in 1964: a historic, decisive loss. The Republicans are going to lose the Senate badly- they will lose every race that is currently a contest. Even McConnell may be defeated. In the House we will see a repeat of 2018 or worse. Governorships the same. The Republican Party that emerges after November will be a badly weakened party that will be forced to reassess its terrible decisions over the last several years. 

So there it is, I’ve called my shot. I’m not Nostradamus; this is what I think will happen based on reasoning. If I’m wrong, and I easily could be, you guys can trash me and I’ll be here to take it. 

And the same thing will happen again. Only this time President Trump will go higher than 50% in Gallup. 

Most people are looking on in shock right now at what cancel culture is doing to this country. Watch and see my friend. Biden is the cancel culture candidate.

Who’s ready for all Washington and Jefferson statues to come down? 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/08/18/cnns_angela_rye_washington_jefferson_statues_need_to_come_down.html
I was going to add to my prediction that against this the Republicans best weapon is that certain extremists are pushing stuff that is too radical for the public: defunding the police, and all this “cancel culture” stuff. 
It’s a good argument, and it certainly will scare some people, but the the problem for Republicans is that none of it is being proposed by the Democrats who matter: Biden and the Congressional leadership. Therefore as much as they try, Trump and the Republicans won’t be able to get the Democrats to take ownership of these ideas in time for it to matter in November.

Users who are viewing this thread