• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• knowledge dropper

• timschochet

• SaintsInDome2006

• The General

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone who has ever wondered how authoritarians manage to take power in "modern" democracies, here's your first hand evidence that the USA is not immune. Thankfully it appears that the system is h

Following in the footsteps of Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, and Google Plus, the Footballguys Forum hereby suspends President Trump's posting privileges. The suspension takes effect immediat

Are we sure it isn't Alamo Landscaping?

15 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Absolutely. We want the good times back.

when will gas hit $3?

So we're back to tying gas prices to the president?   Come on, Biden has nothing to do with the rise in gas prices just like Trump had nothing to do with them rising when he was president.

7 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

So we're back to tying gas prices to the president?   Come on, Biden has nothing to do with the rise in gas prices just like Trump had nothing to do with them rising when he was president.

Here I thought Biden had everything to do with gas prices just like Trump had everything to do with the stock market when it rose.

6 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Here I thought Biden had everything to do with gas prices just like Trump had everything to do with the stock market when it rose.

Consistency is not required. Whatever makes Trump look good will be used. Whatever makes Biden look bad will be used. Winning, and pissing off the libs, are the only rules. 

• Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Maybe gas prices are going up because demand is going up? Coming off of a year where demand had been low, you can can bet the gas companies are going to raise prices as soon as demand increases. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Consistency is not required. Whatever makes Trump look good will be used. Whatever makes Biden look bad will be used. Winning, and pissing off the libs, are the only rules. 

They’ve already broken both of those rules as well. 

3 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Maybe gas prices are going up because demand is going up? Coming off of a year where demand had been low, you can can bet the gas companies are going to raise prices as soon as demand increases. 

Or maybe our energy independence that Trump was so successful with putting into motion is getting thrown out the window?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Just now, knowledge dropper said:

Or maybe our energy independence that Trump was so successful with putting into motion is getting thrown out the window?

You realize that gas prices rose and fell at times during Trump's 4 years in the White House, right?  The president has very little effect on the price of oil.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

:lmao:  This is ironic.  You're the exact opposite of this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

You realize that gas prices rose and fell at times during Trump's 4 years in the White House, right?  The president has very little effect on the price of oil.

Exactly, anything bad that happens during the Biden era has little to do with POTUS. Everything bad during Trump was completely his fault....we get it. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Exactly, anything bad that happens during the Biden era has little to do with POTUS. Everything bad during Trump was completely his fault....we get it. 

I don't recall Trump getting blamed around here for gas prices when they were rising under his watch.  Most of us realize the White House doesn't have much control over it.  If you think Biden's one month in office is responsible for the rise in gas prices there isn't anything I can say that will change your mind.

Also there was a thread here that gave Trump credit for some of the good that was done while he was in president.  It will be interesting to see if any Republicans here start one for Biden.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Absolutely. We want the good times back.

when will gas hit $3?

gas will be cheap again next time the economy crashes.

ETA: it should be self-evident that when people stop traveling and goods aren't shipped (i.e. because factories are closed), energy costs go down.  When we come out of that slump, energy costs go up.  supply and demand.

gas getting more expensive now is a sign that the economy is heating up again.

Edited by moleculo
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I don't recall Trump getting blamed around here for gas prices when they were rising under his watch.

I do recall Trump taking credit when gas prices dropped. Don't really remember him taking credit when they went back up. 

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

I do recall Trump taking credit when gas prices dropped. Don't really remember him taking credit when they went back up. 

Same as the stock market.  He frequently took credit when the stock market rose but when it was crashing early last year he stopped talking about it. 

He did hold a press conference when it rebounded and went over 30k though.  I believe that press conference took about 90 seconds and when done he walked out without taking questions.   Good times indeed.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Which goes back to his own words that he takes responsibility for nothing.

12 minutes ago, Mile High said:

I believe he touted it as if it were a tax cut he gave people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-claims-credit-cheap-gas-experts-say-it-s-not-n953626

That he did...

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

And right on cue we have a trouncing in the market today 

-0.68% isn’t exactly what I think of as a trouncing. Now if it lost 7% before 10am, then I can see it.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

I believe he touted it as if it were a tax cut he gave people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-claims-credit-cheap-gas-experts-say-it-s-not-n953626

That he did...

I believe at one point he also boasted that he knew someone at OPEC and they were able to increase production as a favor. Yeah, that's utter :bs:too

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Well, to be fair, the NASDAQ is down over 2% and that hurts.  

That’s fair, but it’s still not even close to the biggest losses we had last year.

5 minutes ago, Kal El said:

That’s fair, but it’s still not even close to the biggest losses we had last year.

Oh, this isn't even remotely close to a trouncing, but Trumpers gonna Trumper.

I think we got a selloff coming that will make today look like a zit on a giant's behind.  

54 minutes ago, Kal El said:

-0.68% isn’t exactly what I think of as a trouncing. Now if it lost 7% before 10am, then I can see it.

Weird, one of your regulars was recently bragging about an increase of less than 1% with the “Biden market”......such predictable hypocritical schtick I love it. Move the goalposts again, quick!!!:popcorn:

37 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Weird, one of your regulars was recently bragging about an increase of less than 1% with the “Biden market”......such predictable hypocritical schtick I love it. Move the goalposts again, quick!!!:popcorn:

I have no idea what you’re talking about, so I’m just going to let this sit here.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Anyone else here who wouldn't know what the gas price was if it wasn't talked about here? I fill up so infrequently. I don't even look at the price I just stop at whatever station is convenient.

I feel like it's been between $2 and $3 forever, but I use reward points at the local grocer so I don't really have any idea either.  When the guy tells me I am getting a $1 off because we spend an ungodly amount of money feeding our family, I do a little jig and tell him to use the 89 octane gas....a little treat for the minivan. 

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, General Malaise said:

I feel like it's been between $2 and $3 forever, but I use reward points at the local grocer so I don't really have any idea either.  When the guy tells me I am getting a $1 off because we spend an ungodly amount of money feeding our family, I do a little jig and tell him to use the 89 octane gas....a little treat for the minivan. 

You sir are a real American. A lot of that missing around here.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
On 2/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, knowledge dropper said:

Will Father Trump’s CPAC speech be streaming anywhere?  It is going to be epic.  

live.conservative.org

AMERICA UNCANCELED 

Edited by tonydead
  • Thanks 2
On 2/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, knowledge dropper said:

Will Father Trump’s CPAC speech be streaming anywhere?  It is going to be epic.  

I agree. If he says what’s being reported that he will, he will be like Samson bringing down the walls of what’s left of the GOP around him. 

21 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I agree. If he says what’s being reported that he will, he will be like Samson bringing down the walls of what’s left of the GOP around him. 

I think you mean Joshua, no?  Walls of Jericho?  Been a while since I Bibled.

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I think you mean Joshua, no?  Walls of Jericho?  Been a while since I Bibled.

Samson brought the Philistine building down on his own head in the book of Judges, as his last act of strength after Delilah betrayed him and the nice he revealed where he supposedly got his strength from, they blinded him.

6 hours ago, Kal El said:

Samson brought the Philistine building down on his own head in the book of Judges, as his last act of strength after Delilah betrayed him and the nice he revealed where he supposedly got his strength from, they blinded him.

Since we are making biblical references:

People are drawing comparisons between a gold statue of Donald Trump, seen at the Conservative Political Action Conference, to the golden calf made by the Israelites in the Bible's book of Exodus:  

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1365109969490567169  (video clip at link). 

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

People are drawing comparisons between a gold statue of Donald Trump, seen at the Conservative Political Action Conference, to the golden calf made by the Israelites in the Bible's book of Exodus:  

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1365109969490567169  (video clip at link). 

That also brings to mind what Nebuchadnezzar did with his golden statue. I’ll follow the example of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, thanks.

14 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Take this religious mumbo jumbo to the religious mumbo jumbo thread.Cripes

What do you expect when people here keep calling him Father Trump?

On 2/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, Godsbrother said:

Just shows you how whacked out the Republicans party is.   

Aside from all of the crap he has pulled (lying about a stolen election, trying to coerce election officials to "find votes", downplaying covid, playing up conspiracy theories, stirring up the attack on the nation's capitol... ) he lost the GOP majorities in the senate and the house and lost the 2020 presidency.

And THIS is the guy they want leading the party?  :loco:      Bizarre.

A few Supreme Court Justices believe he had a point about the election (Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch). 

For example in PA, Justice Thomas wanted to review the fact that the PA Supreme Court changed an election deadline which rests solely in the Legislature's power.  The a majority of the other Justices found it moot since it didn't change the outcome, but the fraud in the manner of the voting regulation change is obvious.  He cites an example of what happens when the Legislature doesn't control the voting rules, "A different petition argues that after election day the Pennsylvania Supreme Court nullified the legislative requirement that voters write the date on mail-in ballots. See Pet. for Cert., O. T. 2020, No. 20–845. According to public reports, one candidate for a state senate seat claimed victory under what she contended was the legislative rule that dates must be included on the ballots. A federal court noted that this candidate would win by 93 votes under that rule.  Ziccarelli v. Allegheny Cty. Bd. of Elections, 2021 WL 101683, *1 (WD Pa., Jan. 12, 2021). A second candidate claimed victory under the contrary rule announced by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He was seated."

Why did Trump's cases fail.  Simple, there wasn't enough time to put forth a complete case.  As Thomas wrote, "Five to six weeks for judicial testing is difficult enough for straightforward cases. For factually complex cases, compressing discovery, testimony, and appeals into this timeline is virtually impossible."  He went on, mail-in votes make judicial review even more complicated because and fraud more prevelant, "[v]oting by mail is now common enough and problematic enough that election experts say there have been multiple elections in which no one can say with confidence which candidate was the deserved winner.”  According to Thomas, PA mail-in votes went from 4% of cast votes in 2018 to 38% in 2020.  So the opportunity for fraud was higher because, “[A]bsentee voting replaces the oversight that exists at polling places with something akin to an honor system.”

He finishes by writing, "In short, the postelection system of judicial review is at most suitable for garden-variety disputes. It generally cannot restore the state of affairs before an election. And it is often incapable of testing allegations of systemic maladministration, voter suppression, or fraud that go to the heart of public confidence in election results. That is obviously problematic for allegations backed by substantial evidence. But the same is true where allegations are incorrect."

You see, the Courts are concerned with voter confidence in elections and changing the outcome by legal process is deleterious to the democratic process.  Trump wasn't lying, he just had no chance of winning because the Courts and parties just didn't have the resources to do a thorough discovery process.  The timeframe is just too short.  Unfortunately the Court didn't want to rule on this because they majority deemed it moot, not that Trump was lying.  They punted on the issue.

1 hour ago, Snotbubbles said:

He went on, mail-in votes make judicial review even more complicated because and fraud more prevelant, "[v]oting by mail is now common enough and problematic enough that election experts say there have been multiple elections in which no one can say with confidence which candidate was the deserved winner.” 

If this gets repeated enough times, does it make it true?  And when he says 'expert', who is he referring to?

15 hours ago, timschochet said:

How can you report on what he is going to say.  Isn’t that speculation?   What are the fear brokers hoping he says?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, squistion said:

No kidding?  Hmm.  Never heard that or saw that video before, thanks.