What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dominican Republic? (1 Viewer)

pantherclub

Footballguy
What in the world is going on in the DR now?  10 tourists have died, possibly poisoned.  Many others have gotten sick.  The most famous resident is shot in broad daylight.   Seems they are having a world class PR problem right now.  Now way in hades would I vacation down there right now.

A lot of people are coming out of the woodworks now saying how they got sick a year ago, etc. This has always happened. Don't drink the water in DR. The recent deaths are a bit strange but I think its more a coincidence and the press jumping on a story then any legitimate problem.

I've been to DR about 10 times (was just at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana year before last), never had or even heard of problems like this.  There are even reports of people getting attacked on the resorts which is unheard of.  These are multi-million dollar companies there that rely on tourism so they'll get this figured out.  Just not sure how long it's going to take.

I think a few of them were just people in poor health. But my guess is the other ones were victims of methanol poisoning from cheap/knockoff booze. Similar things were happening a few years ago in Mexican resorts. This has happened even at higher end resorts. 

I dont think 13 people dead and numerous sick in a specific time frame is a coincidence. 
I dunno

10 people in 13 months?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/23/world/tenth-american-death-dominican-republic/index.html

Maybe a few of them are related to the alcohol dispensers in the Hard Rock but I would guess most of them are isolated incidents of older people having "too good" of a time and I bet these have been happening for years but the press is picking up on it now.

I've been to DR about 10 times (was just at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana year before last), never had or even heard of problems like this.  There are even reports of people getting attacked on the resorts which is unheard of.  These are multi-million dollar companies there that rely on tourism so they'll get this figured out.  Just not sure how long it's going to take.
I thought this would happen too, but this go round seems strange.  Lots of denial of any problems.  They don't seem to have the PR machine revved up this year.  

Ive been on about a dozen different carrib/mexican vacations and DR (Samana peninsula, not Punta Cana) was easily the scariest. We were in a gated/locked community and had an on-site security guard 24x7. Beautiful place, but there was poverty everywhere. No plans of ever going back. I'm sure their tourism industry is tanking right now which is only going to make things worse as they get more desperate.

Yucatan in another place I'll likely never go again. Guys in full fatigues carrying machine guns on the beach, cooked police, gas stations trying to rip you off, murders, seaweed everywhere, etc. Too many better options out there.

Just cancelled our 8 day trip there yesterday. Booked in January for an August trip. Spent an extra $1500 just to go somewhere else. No chance I'm going to an all inclusive in an area where the drinks can poison you.

A lot of people are coming out of the woodworks now saying how they got sick a year ago, etc. This has always happened. Don't drink the water in DR. The recent deaths are a bit strange but I think its more a coincidence and the press jumping on a story then any legitimate problem.
Has nothing to do with the water. These people are getting sick (and dying) from the alcoholic drinks, including from the mini bar.

I've never gotten the appeal of going to any of these places - caribbean or mexican. Those that have gone there before what are the positive differences vs. a trip to a beach in the states?

I've never gotten the appeal of going to any of these places - caribbean or mexican. Those that have gone there before what are the positive differences vs. a trip to a beach in the states?
Yes, the beach is a million times better than most US beaches.

I'll agree to disagree here.  I live in Huntington Beach and visit beaches in Southern California often (from San Diego to Cambria).   I've been to Hawaii and South Beach several times.   I've been to several international beaches that many consider to be the best in the world--and I don't find any of them to be a "million times better" than some of the nice beaches that the US has to offer.  I think most of the people that go to the DR to go to a beach do so because of the cost factor more than anything else.  Generally cheaper rates, cheaper food, cheaper drinks--just generally a cheaper total cost of a vacation versus going to the nicer beaches in the states.  Most people don't choose to go to the DR over places like so cal, Hawaii, or south beach because the beaches are a "million times better".  

Has nothing to do with the water. These people are getting sick (and dying) from the alcoholic drinks, including from the mini bar.
Reports are that the ones that drank from the mini-bar had some kind of mini bar that just had pre-opened bottles suspended in them that dispense drinks. No thanks.

I've been there once for a wedding and never plan on returning.  The resort we stayed at was nice, but the food was terrible - probably some of the worst #### I've ever ate in my life.  

The country overall is ####hole, so not even sure what the appeal is, especially with all the other beach destinations you can visit.  

I went to Playa del Carmen back around 2003ish.  I thought it was awesome mainly because of the crystal blue warm waters with gentle waves.  And you could walk out about 200 yards and it never got deeper than 7 feet.  I liked it a lot.  But even back then (before the cartel violence started seeping into the tourist spots), the place felt sketchy.  I'm glad I went, but I have no desire to go back.  

The Jersey Shore might not have warm, crystal clear blue water, but it's close, safer than a foreign third world country (slightly), and a lot more fun things to do.  If I ever want to go back to a "tropical" spot, I'd go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico.   

More than part of my question is probably driven by my thinking a beach vacation is not #1 on my list.  But everyone else in the family thinks it, so I go along for the ride.  Cause that's what dad's do.  But ultimately - sand, waves, a beach chair, a cooler, and music.  To me it isn't any different between Duck, Emerald Isle, Myrtle, Hilton Head, Cocoa, Lauderdale, Siesta, etc.  I imagine there's something more to the left coast, Hawaii, and places south of Florida.  I don't think it's enough more for me to want to go and I just hope the same stays true with the family.  But also not being informed am interested in details should the topic ever arise.

If you get tired of the winters in the U.S. and want to go somewhere warm in Jan thru March, your odds of getting good beach weather are much better in Caribbean/Mexico than any U.S. location. 

If you pick the right place, its much cheaper for a much better place, the beaches/water are 100x better than any East coast beach, its much less crowded, and if you are active, there are way more cool things (snorkeling, fishing, diving, excursions, etc) to do.

If you just want to sit on the beach, have a beer, listen to music, and don't mind the crowds then going "down the shore" is obviously easier. 

More than part of my question is probably driven by my thinking a beach vacation is not #1 on my list.  But everyone else in the family thinks it, so I go along for the ride.  Cause that's what dad's do.  But ultimately - sand, waves, a beach chair, a cooler, and music.  To me it isn't any different between Duck, Emerald Isle, Myrtle, Hilton Head, Cocoa, Lauderdale, Siesta, etc.  I imagine there's something more to the left coast, Hawaii, and places south of Florida.  I don't think it's enough more for me to want to go and I just hope the same stays true with the family.  But also not being informed am interested in details should the topic ever arise.
I prefer OBX vacation to DR All-Inclusive but the water isn't nearly the same. Ive been to OBX in the middle of the summer when the water was in the low 60's. Frigid.

If you get tired of the winters in the U.S. and want to go somewhere warm in Jan thru March, your odds of getting good beach weather are much better in Caribbean/Mexico than any U.S. location. 
This is a fair point and something I've never really considered given my wife and I's line of work.  We have no interest in doing anything outside of a long weekend anytime between the beginning of August and beginning of June.

I've been to many beaches in the Carribean and Mexico--and pretty much the only appeal to going to one of these beaches versus some of the nicer beaches in the USA is the cost.   If you want a nice beach for a cheaper price for what they cost in the States--you pick places like these.  Choosing to visit places like this come at the expense of possibly sacrificing your health and possibly your safety.  Some of the all inclusive resorts in places like this basically barricade you on their grounds with armed guards because the area they are in is so dangerous.  I assure you the food and drink quality standards are not regulated the same as they are in the US . I also assure you that the vast majority of people that live on the east coast of the US would absolutely choose to go to Southern California, Hawaii, or South Beach if the total cost of the vactions would be comparable versus the places you mentioned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I went to an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana years ago for an anniversary. I love the sun and beach, that part was spectacular. The rest not so much. Food was pretty terrible, hounded incessantly by people selling stuff on the resort. Any time you left your room to walk we got hounded.

Plus, had an episode at this off resort market that was a walk down the beach. We went to buy a few things, rum, etc. Paid the guy with a 20 at one shop and was getting change. Guy returned a few minutes later and insisted we had never paid him. Got quite aggressive. We just left.

Return was terrible also; spent the day at the pool drinking before getting bussed to airport. Plane we were supposed to leave on turned around and went back to Canada due to mechanical difficulties. Ended up spending 12 hours stuck at the airport, no water for sale, a few bottles of juice that were immediately scarfed up by others. So dehydrated and hungover, just sat with head in hands for hours. It was miserable torture. So glad to finally get home

Wife and I went to an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana years ago for an anniversary. I love the sun and beach, that part was spectacular. The rest not so much. Food was pretty terrible, hounded incessantly by people selling stuff on the resort. Any time you left your room to walk we got hounded.

Plus, had an episode at this off resort market that was a walk down the beach. We went to buy a few things, rum, etc. Paid the guy with a 20 at one shop and was getting change. Guy returned a few minutes later and insisted we had never paid him. Got quite aggressive. We just left.

Return was terrible also; spent the day at the pool drinking before getting bussed to airport. Plane we were supposed to leave on turned around and went back to Canada due to mechanical difficulties. Ended up spending 12 hours stuck at the airport, no water for sale, a few bottles of juice that were immediately scarfed up by others. So dehydrated and hungover, just sat with head in hands for hours. It was miserable torture. So glad to finally get home
Yes, we went last year to an AI in Punta Cana. The beach was amazing. Everything else was lackluster. Food was mediocre and drinks were watered down. I wouldn't go back. We've also been to Clearwater Beach, FL and Aruba to compare and would definitely go back to those places.

I've been to many beaches in the Carribean and Mexico--and pretty much the only appeal to going to one of these beaches versus some of the nicer beaches in the USA is the cost.   If you want a nice beach for a cheaper price for what they cost in the States--you pick places like these.  Choosing to visit places like this come at the expense of possibly sacrificing your health and possibly your safety.  Some of the all inclusive resorts in places like this basically barricade you on their grounds with armed guards because the area they are in is so dangerous.  I assure you the food and drink quality standards are not regulated the same as they are in the US . I also assure you that the vast majority of people that live on the east coast of the US would absolutely choose to go to Southern California, Hawaii, or South Beach if the total cost of the vactions would be comparable versus the places you mentioned. 
One thing we don't do on vacation is eat out much.  I suppose if we did then the cost savings may be a greater factor.  Taking food out of the equation, is it really that much cheaper?  If we can't identify local merchants ahead of time that provide fresh seafood and fruit/veggies that's the first thing we do when we get wherever we are going.  

Was in Playa a few years ago and will never go back. Loved the town and area but we stayed after dark one night and is was frightening.  Police armed with machine guns on every corner.  Gangs of punks walking through the town.  Just not something I want to worry about while on vacation.

Not really fair to lump all of the carrib in with DR/Cancun/Jamaica/All-Inclusives. The Out Islands of the Bahamas are insanely beautiful, cheap, and MUCH safer than ANY city in the US. The Virgin Islands were wonderful before the hurricanes (not sure how things are now during the rebuild). I traveled a good bit in Belize and Costa Rica and never felt unsafe. Part of the appeal of vacationing outside of the US to us is just experiencing a different culture. You're not really going to get that by going to a cheap AI that just attracts the "ugly Americans".

One thing we don't do on vacation is eat out much.  I suppose if we did then the cost savings may be a greater factor.  Taking food out of the equation, is it really that much cheaper?  If we can't identify local merchants ahead of time that provide fresh seafood and fruit/veggies that's the first thing we do when we get wherever we are going.  
Certainly--and much of this depends on what kind of food one prefers. The fundamental travel costs generally start off much higher--transportation and lodging alone create a vast differential.  If you are a person that wants to order  high end dishes like lobster tail on vacation---it will cost far more at a fancy restaurant in the US versus in restaurants in places like the ones being mentioned in this thread.  Also--if you order alcoholic beverages in nicer hotels/restaurants in the US versus places in the DR---you're looking at an even bigger cost differential.   Being that you are the kind of person that doesn't each out much on vacation--and you are open to purchasing bottles of alcohol at a grocery store and mixing/making your own drinks in your room--the price differential between just the food and beverage portions of the destinations could be non existent--or you might even be able to carve out a savings.  

Just cancelled our 8 day trip there yesterday. Booked in January for an August trip. Spent an extra $1500 just to go somewhere else. No chance I'm going to an all inclusive in an area where the drinks can poison you.
We canceled our trip for August last week. Were able to rebook for Jamaica. American Airlines waived all change fees so the flight was literally like $5 difference, staying at the same branded resort in Oyster Bay Jamaica, could have done it for no change in price but we wanted to keep non-stop flights so we ended up adding an extra day (tough one) for the flights to work and we upgraded to the beach house which wasn't an option in Punta Cana.

15 years ago before kids I would have went to the DR and tried to get some money back, now it was worth some piece of mind. 

Gustavo Fring said:
I've been there once for a wedding and never plan on returning.  The resort we stayed at was nice, but the food was terrible - probably some of the worst #### I've ever ate in my life.  

The country overall is ####hole, so not even sure what the appeal is, especially with all the other beach destinations you can visit.  
Goes to a one star resort.

Man this food was terrible!!

jvdesigns2002 said:
I'll agree to disagree here.  I live in Huntington Beach and visit beaches in Southern California often (from San Diego to Cambria).   I've been to Hawaii and South Beach several times.   I've been to several international beaches that many consider to be the best in the world--and I don't find any of them to be a "million times better" than some of the nice beaches that the US has to offer.  I think most of the people that go to the DR to go to a beach do so because of the cost factor more than anything else.  Generally cheaper rates, cheaper food, cheaper drinks--just generally a cheaper total cost of a vacation versus going to the nicer beaches in the states.  Most people don't choose to go to the DR over places like so cal, Hawaii, or south beach because the beaches are a "million times better".  
True.
I like to snorkel so if "beach" includes reefs and such, then only Hawaii compares to the Caribbean.

It's not all about the beaches for me.  Mexico is legit international travel when it comes to experiencing different culture, foods, etc.  Cancun has Chichen Itza, Tulum, etc. for example.  And Hawaii is not comparable to domestic beaches either IMO.  There is no greater sense of escape than going to Hawaii or somewhere in the Caribbean.    

shadyridr said:
Yes, we went last year to an AI in Punta Cana. The beach was amazing. Everything else was lackluster. Food was mediocre and drinks were watered down. I wouldn't go back. We've also been to Clearwater Beach, FL and Aruba to compare and would definitely go back to those places.
Yep, it’s just a cost thing. If you’re young and poor, go to DR or Mexico. Otherwise, for us it’s the Keys, Naples, California or Hawaii.

E-Z Glider said:
Ive been on about a dozen different carrib/mexican vacations and DR (Samana peninsula, not Punta Cana) was easily the scariest. We were in a gated/locked community and had an on-site security guard 24x7. Beautiful place, but there was poverty everywhere. No plans of ever going back. I'm sure their tourism industry is tanking right now which is only going to make things worse as they get more desperate.

Yucatan in another place I'll likely never go again. Guys in full fatigues carrying machine guns on the beach, cooked police, gas stations trying to rip you off, murders, seaweed everywhere, etc. Too many better options out there.
I went to Punta Cana and the beach was terrible. It was windy so you couldn’t even sit out with the sand blowing and the weather was beautiful off the beach. The resort workers told us it was like that a lot. I’d never go back, so many better places to go. 

jvdesigns2002 said:
If you are talking about DR sure, but the places I stay at AI are more expensive than my trips to say FL or CA beaches. AI trips are just my wife and I and beach trips are my 3 boys as well and the FL trips are still cheaper. Going to Antigua or St. Lucia is a lot different from anywhere in CA or FL and we can go in the winter and know the weather will be 80s and usually perfect.

It's not all about the beaches for me.  Mexico is legit international travel when it comes to experiencing different culture, foods, etc.  Cancun has Chichen Itza, Tulum, etc. for example.  And Hawaii is not comparable to domestic beaches either IMO.  There is no greater sense of escape than going to Hawaii or somewhere in the Caribbean.    
I agree and I enjoy Hilton Head and FL. I’ve also been to some great places in Mexico. The Iberostar in Cancun had some of the best food at any resort. Grilling up lobster tails at the pool for lunch? Sign me up. The beach wasn’t even as good as most Caribbean islands but the resort was amazing and it was a blast with friends.

After reading this thread I have no desire to ever go to DR.....sounds brutal before the deadly booze is factored in. 

Users who are viewing this thread