What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Women's World Cup Soccer - Interest Level? (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 0 (don't care at all) to 10 (most important sporting event of the year) how much do yo

• 0 - Don't Care At All

Votes: 20 14.2%

Votes: 11 7.8%

Votes: 7 5.0%

Votes: 12 8.5%

Votes: 7 5.0%

Votes: 13 9.2%

Votes: 18 12.8%

Votes: 26 18.4%

Votes: 9 6.4%

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • 10 - Most Important Sporting Event Of The Year

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
On a scale of 0 (don't care at all) to 10 (most important sporting event of the year) how much do you guys care about this?

I picked 3. I don't really care much for soccer but as long as Canada is alive I'll pay attention and even watch our matches.

I'm ashamed to admit that my interest in women's sports is inversely proportional to the amount of material in their uniforms, so I'm most interested in beach volleyball.  But I do hope our women's soccer team does well to offset our embarrassment of a men's team.

Interest level is similar to the men's world cup - I'll watch it if I can but not making a huge effort to not miss it. I caught the tail end of the first half and then made a point to go down to the rec area/break room at work to watch most of the 2nd half. 

As a huge soccer (football, ya noobs) this is about a 6 to me.  I just don't really enjoy women's soccer, other than the fact that the ladies are usually hot.  
this is exactly me.  I pay attention because its soccer, but if there is another men's game on that I am interested in, I will watch that instead.

And with so many very good young prospects on the US Mens side of things, I just find that more interesting to see how it develops.   There is not much to follow on the women's side since they, at least for the next 10 years, are always going to be ahead of 95% of the rest of the world due to the massive head start in the sport.

A decade from now it might get more interesting as the rest of the world starts to spend some money on developing their women players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the soccer on right now:  Gold Cup > Copa > US WNT > ANC > WWC

I voted "2" overall.

Men's world cup is a 10 for me, as is the European Cup.  The 1999 WWC was much higher for me, call it a 6.  I was paying attention.

Of the soccer on right now:  Gold Cup > Copa > US WNT > ANC > WWC

I voted "2" overall.

Men's world cup is a 10 for me, as is the European Cup.  The 1999 WWC was much higher for me, call it a 6.  I was paying attention.
I'd be more interested in a USMNT Gold Cup match than a USWNT World Cup match but most of the Gold Cup and Copa matches have been meh because of where they are in the men's WC rotation.

Especially now that they're in knockout round I've found the women's matches more interesting (and more is at stake).

I went with 7. Interested if it's on but not changing my daily schedule. 

Solid 5. 

Will watch if it's on, not seeking it out.  Mildly interested in the results, isn't going to ruin my day if they lose but would enjoy a win.

I was watching today and thought, "where's that Hope Solo girl" only to find out she's been long gone a year or so ago.  :shrug:

Voted 3 basically because my daughter is into it and we have something to watch together.

Huge soccer fan, but I find international soccer tedious.  Level of play is far below club level. 

Level will fall to 1 if the U.S. gets eliminated.

6.  I'm interested in the outcome.  If I'm home and it's on, I'll watch it over anything else on TV. But if I have work or some event with family or friends, I won't bother DVR'ing it.  

Gave it a 6. I enjoy watching it when I get the opportunity. Ranks right there with the College World Series since Michigan is in there. 

In general: 5.  Bumps up to 7 when the US team plays.  Even when the US isn't playing, it can be interesting TV (e.g. the Cameroon drama).

Voted 8.  

I love women’s soccer. My daughter is a pretty good player and I’ve gone to hundreds of her club and high school games. 

I’ve watched every US game in this tourney, live when possible. Also watched 4 or 5 neutral games as well. 

But, given the way the poll was worded, I couldn’t give it a 10. I’d have to rank NFL playoffs and college football/basketball IF they involve “my” teams (Seahawks/UW) ahead of the women’s WC. 

Otherwise, I’d choose USWNT in the WC over anything else. 

6.  I'm interested in the outcome.  If I'm home and it's on, I'll watch it over anything else on TV. But if I have work or some event with family or friends, I won't bother DVR'ing it.  
I love the NFL and have never DVR'ed a game.  Didn't know fans do this for live sports.

6/10.  I care about the women's World Cup more than I do about the NBA, MLB, or NHL.  I care significantly less than I do about the men's team even in just the Gold Cup, and significantly less more than I do about Arsenal.  And I care about the Bills way more than any of these.

6/10.  I care about the women's World Cup more than I do about the NBA, MLB, or NHL.  I care significantly less than I do about the men's team even in just the Gold Cup, and significantly less more than I do about Arsenal.  And I care about the Bills way more than any of these.
You are a sick, sick man.

6. Mostly interested in watching USWNT matches. I haven't been able to see one yet because of the times and days they have played.

By contrast, for the last men's WC I subscribed to YouTube TV for the month and watched most of the matches via DVR. Had to avoid score updates during the work day.

I love the NFL and have never DVR'ed a game.  Didn't know fans do this for live sports.
I have buddies that DVR Champions League matches all of the time. (Weekdays at 230 eastern)

I also know multiple STH  of NFL teams that go to the game and then watch the DVRed version to see what the TV feed had.

Seriously? Are you familiar with the concept of time zones and work and the fact that people in the eastern half of the population can't stay up until 1 AM to watch the end of many major sporting events?

Seriously? Are you familiar with the concept of time zones and work and the fact that people in the eastern half of the population can't stay up until 1 AM to watch the end of many major sporting events?
I live in DC, I just wake up the next day and catch the highlights.  :shrug:   It's going to be talked about all day on the radio and at work so why bother?

A solid 7 for me. I’m still shuked at how people can watch NFL games on tv these days. There are way too many commercials to keep my attention.

A solid 7 for me. I’m still shuked at how people can watch NFL games on tv these days. There are way too many commercials to keep my attention.
Good point about the ads. Plus it fills the screen almost perfectly. Even if you are not a big fan, it's some of the best background stuff around.

8 or 9

As I get older I find soccer is one of the few sports I can watch live. Part of the appeal is I know exactly how long it will take. No overtime, no flurry of timeouts to stretch the final seconds into a 15 minute episode, no stoppage of play or fights, no extra innings. (Obvs different in knockout rounds but the point remains.)

Outside of the postseason, I haven’t watched too many NFL games since condensed games came out. I follow my guys on a FF tracker & see key plays via Twitter. Haven’t watched MLB or the NHL since 1994 & 2005, respectively (wiped the WS & then a season out due to labor disputes.) NBA - I only follow one team, so other than the run withRasheed, nah.

I’m a New Yorker who only roots for Detroit teams, e.g., it was an easy and natural progression to replace sports viewing with family time.

My kids love soccer, so I’m a soccer guy now.

Also, the USWNT team is great!!! Has been for years. Plenty of room on the bandwagon, come on along.

:thumbup:

Hot women

Gambling

Soccer

Hits  the rhe trifecta for me. Never cared for women's sports much but have to admit the ladies are fun to watch and athletic. 

I honestly gave it a 4 which is down from 7 last cycle.  There's a never ending deluge of soccer so you have to choose your battles.

I'm more interested in AFCON right now which probably makes me a bad American.

Good choice, that was my number. In baseball. Because I loved Larry Brown (not the NBA coach - well I love him too - but the Redskins RB.) 

Fully cognizant none of that makes sense, but that was my decision making process as a 9 year old. Wore #43 every year I had a choice (9 summers.)

Good choice, that was my number. In baseball. Because I loved Larry Brown (not the NBA coach - well I love him too - but the Redskins RB.) 

Fully cognizant none of that makes sense, but that was my decision making process as a 9 year old. Wore #43 every year I had a choice (9 summers.)
Fwiw, I wore #43 too. Tough to find on a soccer jersey.

42 is Doug Adams and all that, but in HS we figured out that 43 was omnipresent- things tended to cost X.43, 43% of people did yadayada, 43yo found guilty of diddling a pool float...it was endless. We were also really high. But that was the number of take when available.

Hot women

Gambling

Soccer

Hita rhe trifecta for me. Never cared for women's sports much but have to admit the ladies are fun to watch a d athletic. 
yeah, what he said up there  :thumbup:

the wagering run i've been on has been both a grind and an edumication - breaking pretty even atm - but the props and specials are beckoning.  it's a fascinating web to track - fwiw, i cannot/will not watch men's soccer ... maybe the WC if i'm plunking ... but i don't really watch any sports, except for the ponies - even when i bet NFL i don't watch -  zero interest in sitting thru that ####, i just care about the outcome ... my viewing does nothing to tip the scales either way, so - there's that. 

bottom line? if i ain't bettin' i ain't sweatin'

i give my interest level for this here fantastic female footy a solid 9. 

💃 ⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽💃

I live in DC, I just wake up the next day and catch the highlights.  :shrug:   It's going to be talked about all day on the radio and at work so why bother?
US soccer is the only sport where I've 'gone dark' to avoid finding out the results so I can watch it on DVR later.  

Users who are viewing this thread