What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Delta the worst airline for delays? (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
My son was suppose to be home tonight for 10 days of leave. Hasn't been home in a year. Delta flight to Atlanta is delayed 2 hours and he's going to miss his connecting flight to Omaha. Next flight that they can guarantee him on arrives tomorrow at 6pm. (he's on standby for two other flights tomorrow). He had the same thing happen to him last year when he flew home. (also Delta) 

Sucks that he has limited time and has to use vacation time when he does come home since Omaha is outside of the travel zone for 96 hour liberty. Losing a day because of poor service from Delta.

Sorry for the rant. Was looking forward to seeing my kid. 

Sorry to hear.

Unfortunately,  all the US airlines stink. I’ve had more issues than I can count with United.
I've only flown other airlines a handful of times in my life. Flow Southwest dozens of times and can't remember any delays. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Weather SE of Atlanta looks pretty bad right now.
I was wondering if that was the cause. I checked about lunchtime and it was delayed 55 minutes. (still thought he had a chance) The delay is the plane coming from Atlanta to Jacksonville, NC. Which returns to Atlanta. 

I've only flown other airlines a handful of times in my life. Flow Southwest dozens of times and can't remember any delays. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Perhaps. I fly a fair amount for business, and truth be told, more often than not there is only a modest delay at most. Just seems to happen more than it should, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son was suppose to be home tonight for 10 days of leave. Hasn't been home in a year. Delta flight to Atlanta is delayed 2 hours and he's going to miss his connecting flight to Omaha. Next flight that they can guarantee him on arrives tomorrow at 6pm. (he's on standby for two other flights tomorrow). He had the same thing happen to him last year when he flew home. (also Delta) 

Sucks that he has limited time and has to use vacation time when he does come home since Omaha is outside of the travel zone for 96 hour liberty. Losing a day because of poor service from Delta.

Sorry for the rant. Was looking forward to seeing my kid. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. There must be something going on with those routes. 

I flew Omaha to Atlanta on Saturday and the incoming flight was delayed so I missed my connection also. But I'm not in the military going home to see my family. Sorry you are going through that.

I'm really sorry to hear that. There must be something going on with those routes. 

I flew Omaha to Atlanta on Saturday and the incoming flight was delayed so I missed my connection also. But I'm not in the military going home to see my family. Sorry you are going through that.
Was that Delta?

That sucks. Were you stuck in Omaha?

I'm not going to say it's a great place to be stuck. But, you could have caught a College World Series game. Or maybe a steak dinner. I couldn't imagine having to spend more than a few hours in our airport. Compared to some of the others, it's limited. 

Spirit and then probably Jet Blue.  When you're the cheap airlines, you're going get the short end of the stick when there's reduced spots open at an airport b/c of weather.  

That sucks. Were you stuck in Omaha?

I'm not going to say it's a great place to be stuck. But, you could have caught a College World Series game. Or maybe a steak dinner. I couldn't imagine having to spend more than a few hours in our airport. Compared to some of the others, it's limited. 
I was in Omaha for the CWS. Came in the first Saturday. Stayed until Tuesday. Came back on Friday and left on Saturday.

Luckily there was a later flight in Atlanta that I could catch. So I just got home a couple of hours later.

Omaha was a great time. I'm both a Michigan and Vanderbilt grad so its been fantastic.

Also we went to both 801 Chophouse and Spencers. 801 was GREAT. Spencers was solid.

I was in Omaha for the CWS. Came in the first Saturday. Stayed until Tuesday. Came back on Friday and left on Saturday.

Luckily there was a later flight in Atlanta that I could catch. So I just got home a couple of hours later.

Omaha was a great time. I'm both a Michigan and Vanderbilt grad so its been fantastic.

Also we went to both 801 Chophouse and Spencers. 801 was GREAT. Spencers was solid.
Who are you rooting for now?

I fly Delta constantly since I’m in ATL and luckily never been delayed either.  Sucks what happened to you. 

Spirit Airlines has been the worst for me. Flown them 7-8 times and have never been on time. 

Delta probably is (& frankly has been for most of the last 40 years) the best U.S. airline. Unfortunately thats like saying Verizon sucks less than AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile. 

What’s the deal with mature American industries? Airlines, automobiles, petroleum, telecommunications.
Probably like most mature, slow-growing industries. Lack of growth opportunities results in competing on price, which leads to companies cutting their own costs and products/services decline. 

What’s the deal with mature American industries? Airlines, automobiles, petroleum, telecommunications.
I don’t think they’re as big of a problem as most make it out to be, just occasional inconvenience.  Airlines are f’ing amazing. Two weeks ago, I left my house, hopped in a tube thousands of feet in the air, read a book and had access to all the worlds information on my touch screen device, did a meeting in Dallas, then did it in reverse back to Atlanta all in the same day. 

what is the best way to avoid this do you try to have a longer layover so that if anything is delayed you still make your flight or what i guess the downside would be that your flight is on time and then you just sit around forever reading a usa today and having 43 starbucks which is frankly just not cool take that to the bank brohans 

To answer the OP, no Delta is not the worst airlines for delays. 

Delta Air Lines retains its second-place ranking in North America for a second straight year with an On Time Performance of 83.1 percent. “Delta continues to be a shining example for other airlines when it comes to OTP. Their performance is especially noteworthy considering the size and scale of their operation,” added John Grant.

I don’t think they’re as big of a problem as most make it out to be, just occasional inconvenience.  Airlines are f’ing amazing. Two weeks ago, I left my house, hopped in a tube thousands of feet in the air, read a book and had access to all the worlds information on my touch screen device, did a meeting in Dallas, then did it in reverse back to Atlanta all in the same day. 
You forgot to add that it didn't crash. That is probably the most amazing part. 

You’ve described the miracle of heavier than air flight, and I’m fully on board it’s an amazing achievement for mankind.

I’m gonna presume the excessive dopamine you experience at airports is a natural consequence of being happy.

Airport travel and airlines in the USA are horrible. Virtually every single aspect. At every sequential step. Think about it: parking, baggage handling, cattle corrals, customer service experience. We haven’t even interacted with TSA yet, talked about fees or brought up aircraft seats, delays/cancellations & you’re already agitated thinking about it. No need to catalogue it, every one of us goes through it.

Travel is amazing, enriching, & in particular traveling by air is incredibly convenient over every other method. But the experience is horrific and we could do so much better, if we valued that aspect.

I would compare it to a Walmart Supercenter of 15-20 years ago (pre Amazon). It's an awesome thing to have thousands of items available in one location and at super low prices. Then you step inside and experience horrible customer service, long waits, unorganized and dirty store. 

I told my wife this a couple of days ago as we were leaving. We don't go to Walmart for the experience. We endure the experience for the low price. Airlines seem to give you high price and poor experience. 

You’ve described the miracle of heavier than air flight, and I’m fully on board it’s an amazing achievement for mankind.

I’m gonna presume the excessive dopamine you experience at airports is a natural consequence of being happy.

Airport travel and airlines in the USA are horrible. Virtually every single aspect. At every sequential step. Think about it: parking, baggage handling, cattle corrals, customer service experience. We haven’t even interacted with TSA yet, talked about fees or brought up aircraft seats, delays/cancellations & you’re already agitated thinking about it. No need to catalogue it, every one of us goes through it.

Travel is amazing, enriching, & in particular traveling by air is incredibly convenient over every other method. But the experience is horrific and we could do so much better, if we valued that aspect.
I can understand some frustrations, but they’ve never been an issue for me.

Parking?  I just park and walk in. 

Baggage handling?  I haven’t checked a bag in my life

TSA? Get pre-check. 

...and while I acknowledge delays, I’ve been very fortunate in this regard.

brohans not seeing your kid on leave stinks but jeez louise do we whine about everything now trust me on this if you ever had to sit on a greyhound and go across the country that way which i have you would never and i mean never ever complain about air travel for even a second it is still about as close to magic as there is out there take that to the bank brohans 

I've had delays with multiple different  airlines.  It's all luck.  I dont think one is necessarily  worse than the others

I fly Delta a couple times a year....never had an issue. I realize I may be “lucky”, but it seems some think every inconvenience is a major issue. I don’t even recall a minor issue. 

I fly Delta a couple times a year....never had an issue. I realize I may be “lucky”, but it seems some think every inconvenience is a major issue. I don’t even recall a minor issue. 
Tend to agree. Air travel is super fast but comes with the off chance the plans go completely in the weeds.  Worth the risk. 

My worst travel experiences with delays/cancels has been in Atlanta flying Delta.  Doesn't mean Delta and/or ATL are the worst, but they are to me.

Users who are viewing this thread