Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***EPL 2019-20 Fantasy League*** Games start on Friday!


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I agree with all of that except I totally won with skill and a demented willingness to set an alarm for 4:30 in the morning just to check team news before continuing my coma.

 

This is why I sucked at this, even with the east coast advantage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Christo @Poke_4_Life @McBokonon @cheese @TLEF316 @JMon348 @Slapdash @Getzlaf15 @drunken slob @Bonzai @Moe.   Just an FYI - there is a Mid-Week Week coming up next week. I will run waiv

We've had co-managers before...  but just so you're aware, the one listed above is more of a multiple personality thing than a co-manager.  Some posters that like soccer just can't stay out of the PSF

@McBokonon @TLEF316 @Slapdash @JMon348 @Christo @drunken slob @cheese @Moe. @Poke_4_Life @Getzlaf15 @Bonzai   Just checking in to see if everyone is still here - I think Christo is off-line

15 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

.but can we put some sort of mechanism in place to fill out the lineups for teams that "give up" late in the year?  That really impacted the results from this past season and we should probably find a way to cover ourselves if it happens again.

This is something I would favor.

 

As commissioner it was a tricky situation for me - I wanted to change line-ups on a couple of teams who were playing out the string, but had injured players in the starting line-ups, and starting players on the bench.  But, I also did not want to be "meddling" in the results - i.e. without some mechanism that we all were aware about I didn't want to fix rosters where they would impact some teams, and not others.

Its the same reason I did not reach out to those owners and ask them to make changes - because it would inevitably lead to an argument that "Team A got to play against a 9-man roster, its not fair that I now have to play against an 11-man roster."

Its been worse in years past, but I would like some ability to - even retroactively - substitute out injured or suspended players for a player on the team's bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, McBokonon said:

I agree with all of that except I totally won with skill and a demented willingness to set an alarm for 4:30 in the morning just to check team news before continuing my coma.

That is dedication...

 

But, I have offered, and will continue to offer to make pre-arranged changes to rosters for the left-coast contingent.  So, if you tell me on Friday night that if Player X is not starting the early game, that you want to take him out of the line-up, or replace him with Player Y - I would do that, even retroactively.  I am almost always up for the early game on Saturday, but if you made that request, I would notify the opposing team that the change could happen even after the game starts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gator said:

This is something I would favor.

 

As commissioner it was a tricky situation for me - I wanted to change line-ups on a couple of teams who were playing out the string, but had injured players in the starting line-ups, and starting players on the bench.  But, I also did not want to be "meddling" in the results - i.e. without some mechanism that we all were aware about I didn't want to fix rosters where they would impact some teams, and not others.

Its the same reason I did not reach out to those owners and ask them to make changes - because it would inevitably lead to an argument that "Team A got to play against a 9-man roster, its not fair that I now have to play against an 11-man roster."

Its been worse in years past, but I would like some ability to - even retroactively - substitute out injured or suspended players for a player on the team's bench.

 

Yeah, i knew it was tough.  I thought about reaching out as well, but since that's technically collusion, I didn't.

 

But I do think we need to add a "give up" mechanism of some kind this season. Ideally nobody would quit, but in this format and relatively low stakes, that's not totally realistic..

Not to name names, but I took not one.....not 2.....but THREE losses early in the season from a team that gave up and fielded an incomplete roster towards the end.   Now, I lost those games fair and square and I'm not #####ing, but if that team filled out their roster in the last week of the season, we'd likely have a different champion. 

I'd also be in 2nd place had I not spaced out and left Mount out of my lineup on Sunday (was planning to sub him in for Noble but I got distracted at 10:30 and just forgot) but that's obviously totally on me.  :wall:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gator said:

That is dedication...

 

But, I have offered, and will continue to offer to make pre-arranged changes to rosters for the left-coast contingent.  So, if you tell me on Friday night that if Player X is not starting the early game, that you want to take him out of the line-up, or replace him with Player Y - I would do that, even retroactively.  I am almost always up for the early game on Saturday, but if you made that request, I would notify the opposing team that the change could happen even after the game starts.

 

Not in favor of retro.    If someone is not starting, they get replaced by highest PPG possible

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

 

Yeah, i knew it was tough.  I thought about reaching out as well, but since that's technically collusion, I didn't.

 

But I do think we need to add a "give up" mechanism of some kind this season. Ideally nobody would quit, but in this format and relatively low stakes, that's not totally realistic..

Not to name names, but I took not one.....not 2.....but THREE losses early in the season from a team that gave up and fielded an incomplete roster towards the end.   Now, I lost those games fair and square and I'm not #####ing, but if that team filled out their roster in the last week of the season, we'd likely have a different champion. 

I'd also be in 2nd place had I not spaced out and left Mount out of my lineup on Sunday (was planning to sub him in for Noble but I got distracted at 10:30 and just forgot) but that's obviously totally on me.  :wall:

 

Thee is a certain irony here - you beat a team on the last weekend, who played 4 players who did not start their respective games...

😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Not in favor of retro.    If someone is not starting, they get replaced by highest PPG possible

When I said retro - I mean you have to tell me before the match, and I will notify the other owner - but I might not physically make the change until after the game has started - depending on my own availability in front of a computer, or my phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Gator said:

When I said retro - I mean you have to tell me before the match, and I will notify the other owner - but I might not physically make the change until after the game has started - depending on my own availability in front of a computer, or my phone.

:thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Thee is a certain irony here - you beat a team on the last weekend, who played 4 players who did not start their respective games...

😉

 

Certainly fair.  (different circumstances,but fair) Again, not complaining.  I lost the games I lost and its not like I was the highest scoring team and got screwed by the schedule.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Certainly fair.  (different circumstances,but fair) Again, not complaining.  I lost the games I lost and its not like I was the highest scoring team and got screwed by the schedule.

I think you and I were both fortunate to be where we ended up.  You had an incredible win streak down the stretch, and after 14 games, I was 4-10, and tied with @Slapdash for dead last.  I was pretty close to tossing in the towel at that stage...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I'll be in favor of this or not...  but is there a way on FanTrax to 'maximize' points for each team?  So instead of setting a rooster each week it just scores the points from what would have been each teams best lineup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I don't know if I'll be in favor of this or not...  but is there a way on FanTrax to 'maximize' points for each team?  So instead of setting a rooster each week it just scores the points from what would have been each teams best lineup?

It does - not sure I would be in favor:

 

Select this option if you are looking to create a more "casual" league, where the system will automatically count or not count fantasy points of player on fantasy teams according to the settings you specify.

This system keeps a running season total to determine the players that will be counted, so the set of "top" players can change at any time throughout the season, and the final counted players will be those that have the most points at the end of the season.

This is a great feature for leagues that do not want to have to change lineups every week, as it reduces the chance of owners losing the season due to long-term injuries.

How it works:
Your league uses each players Primary Position, which is the default position determined right after the end of the previous season, and does not change throughout the whole season. It can also use position slots if using Count Best Per Period - see help on that setting. Using that position, it will first count the best players for each position you have set up. Then, if you have a flex slot set up, it will take the players left over that were not the best of the "pure" positions, and pick the best of those that qualify for the flex slot. Players points are counted for the full season, unless you use the Count Best Per Period setting below.

 

 

Also of interest: Auto Subs

 

If you use this feature, after each gameweek (once all games are finished), the system will attempt to substitute any active players that did not play with players of the same position (unless you choose the "Empty Slots" option below) from the team's reserves (bench). The system will choose the players with the highest points first.

The auto-sub line-up changes get executed at the earlier of your stat correction rule deadline (e.g. one hour after last event of the gameweek finishes) or 6 hours after. So if for example, your league allows stat corrections for 1 week after each game ends, the auto-subs will still get executed within approximately 6 hours of the end of the last game of the gameweek.

* If your league uses Injured Reserves and/or Minors, it will not use players in those slots, even if they qualify by having mroe points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gator said:

It does - not sure I would be in favor:

I'm just looking for options to make the lineups less of a pain and possibly solve the problem of owners giving up.  

I actually like the Auto Subs option.  Primarily because it only replaces someone that did not play.  I may choose to set my lineup with CP in my lineup even tho he's not starting for Chelski because Lamps hates Yanks.  Then when he plays I get either 1pt or 10pts because he's C'MF'P.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am being honest, I do take a certain satisfaction at checking line-ups when the game starts, and seeing my opponent has left a non-starter in the line-up.

 

I am not proud of that fact, but I'll just put it out there.

 

It also opens up the system to being gamed.  Lets say you have a D on the bench, who scores a goal, and gets a clean sheet - 12+ points.  Then, you take one of your other D, and put them on your bench - creating an open slot, (or you put in an injured player who won't play) that will be filled by the highest scoring player on your bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be in favor of any sort of best ball or auto sub format.  The multiple windows obviously add some challenges, but to me, that's just part of the game.  Sometimes you have to make decisions based on later games, who your opponent is starting (starting a defender on the same team as them to lower the impact of a clean sheet) etc.

With best ball, i honestly would probably just keep nothing but defenders from decent teams on my bench in hopes of nabbing a clean sheet without risking a 1.5 point day by "starting" them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Sometimes you have to make decisions based on later games, who your opponent is starting (starting a defender on the same team as them to lower the impact of a clean sheet) etc.

One of my strategies in the last several games weeks was to drop some players from my roster, if they had an early game but I was not going to start them - that gave me roster flexibility to pick up someone for a later game if I needed.  (once the early players game started, they could not be dropped later)

I definitely prefer a more strategic aspect to the game, instead of a draft-and-forget strategy

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Gator said:

One of my strategies in the last several games weeks was to drop some players from my roster, if they had an early game but I was not going to start them - that gave me roster flexibility to pick up someone for a later game if I needed.  (once the early players game started, they could not be dropped later)

I definitely prefer a more strategic aspect to the game, instead of a draft-and-forget strategy

Gonna do one of these on this post, :blackdot:

Will come back and explain soon. Dealing with magic football this week

:banned:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think auto subs is the correct way to go, if it is actually an implementable option. The actual fantasy premier league website does that where if you have a player scoring 0 due to not playing then it takes this first listed legal sub who scored points on your bench when the week is done. I also do not think that it should automatically be your highest scoring legal 11, that would take the weekly management part largely out and make hitting in the draft way more crucial than necessary; it seems mildly unfair and disheartening on both sides to win by virtue of having more games played than your matchweek opponent. With 16 teams limit 1 goalie on a roster, that makes sense.

In response to the leave an empty spot on your roster to auto choose the highest outfield player: force teams to field a full 11 at all times if that is possible. This would also fix the double matchweek problem.

Edited by zazale
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

@shader - after thinking about this more not sure I have the time to invest.  You can have my spot.

I will if you aren’t interested, but I don’t want to take anyone’s spot and I know you’re a big fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Wait... wat?

Sorry, that wasn't explained well.

If managers were forced to have 11 in their starting lineup at all times, it would prevent teams from leaving an empty roster spot and potentially signing multiple players who play 2 games that matchweek to let the automation system choose whoever had the most points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zazale said:

Sorry, that wasn't explained well.

If managers were forced to have 11 in their starting lineup at all times, it would prevent teams from leaving an empty roster spot and potentially signing multiple players who play 2 games that matchweek to let the automation system choose whoever had the most points.

Sorry.  But that is exactly what I do during double match weeks...(without the autosub on).

 

 

If the auto-sub passes - I am just being up front - I will exploit the #### out of that rule, in ways most of you have never thought about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Gator said:

Sorry.  But that is exactly what I do during double match weeks...(without the autosub on).

 

 

If the auto-sub passes - I am just being up front - I will exploit the #### out of that rule, in ways most of you have never thought about.

Yes, but you have to pick one of those players to play, the system doesn't choose for you who had the most. If there was a way to force teams to always have 11 in their starting lineup, this would get around issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zazale said:

Yes, but you have to pick one of those players to play, the system doesn't choose for you who had the most. If there was a way to force teams to always have 11 in their starting lineup, this would get around issue.

Its not an issue - at least as it relates to double game weeks.

I'd have to look it up but I played @JMon348 a couple of years ago and I think we both used 9-10 players with double weeks.

If you have a double-game week player, you are almost always going to play him - otherwise you aren't wasting a roster spot on him.

 

I looked it up - I had 19 starts, and Jmon had 17 (with 18 appearances).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just manual subs for lineups of teams out of the running.  We only had 2-3 of those.

Don't reward teams that have a chance of cashing.

I use to run 40 keeper FB leagues and did this for team out of the playoffs that quit trying.  And made the moves right before or just after the deadline based on my time available

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Some food for thought - changes to the standard scoring at Fantrax:

New Fantrax Fantasy EPL Scoring System

Its a little more complex than our scoring system, but not so much that it would not be feasible.  Apparently based on the Togga scoring system (a fairly popular fanatsy soccer scoring system).

I would love this. It could make Defenders that don’t get a lot of corners or crosses still contribute even if they don’t get a clean sheet, make Defensive Mids mean something, etc. Not a ton but something.

I think 16 teams would be too many but this makes it less bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, justforpdsl said:

We gonna have an official vote on 14/16?

Just like Michel Platini, I can be bought.

technically we are down to 15 teams now - give me until Monday to fire up a new thread, or designate someone to do so

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Gator said:

Some food for thought - changes to the standard scoring at Fantrax:

New Fantrax Fantasy EPL Scoring System

Its a little more complex than our scoring system, but not so much that it would not be feasible.  Apparently based on the Togga scoring system (a fairly popular fanatsy soccer scoring system).

100% agree. Togga is great and the current system relies too heavily on one offs like goals and clean sheets (I am also complaining about being assblasted that our first 3 picks who scored 62 goals combined last year only scored about 40 this year) LET'S DO THIS

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 6:59 PM, The Gator said:

Some food for thought - changes to the standard scoring at Fantrax:

New Fantrax Fantasy EPL Scoring System

Its a little more complex than our scoring system, but not so much that it would not be feasible.  Apparently based on the Togga scoring system (a fairly popular fanatsy soccer scoring system).

I like this.  Will we add in the PK Assist (drawing the foul that results in a PK)?  We've had that one in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I like this.  Will we add in the PK Assist (drawing the foul that results in a PK)?  We've had that one in the past.

We can take a look.

 

Right now, Fantrax is in a bit of a down phase - while they get things ready for next season.

I can't renew the league yet, and I can't edit scoring options for last year.

I'd like to get the new year set-up, and we can take a look at how that scoring system looks - in terms of how players are ranked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gator said:

We can take a look.

 

Right now, Fantrax is in a bit of a down phase - while they get things ready for next season.

I can't renew the league yet, and I can't edit scoring options for last year.

I'd like to get the new year set-up, and we can take a look at how that scoring system looks - in terms of how players are ranked.

I'm assuming they didn't remove any of the old scoring options.  I also like the Clean Sheet while on the pitch, with a min of 60'.  Can't think it would happen too often that a Defender will get subbed off after 60', but they should still get credit for a CS if they do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I'm assuming they didn't remove any of the old scoring options.  I also like the Clean Sheet while on the pitch, with a min of 60'.  Can't think it would happen too often that a Defender will get subbed off after 60', but they should still get credit for a CS if they do.  

This is the scoring system

 

It includes clean sheets (which would incorporate the 60 minutes)

 

The obvious changes:

More points - for everything!
More lost point - for everything!
More points for "contributions" - (Shots on target, accurate crosses, aerial duels won, dribbles, etc)

 

No points for starting, or simply playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Gator said:

This is the scoring system

 

It includes clean sheets (which would incorporate the 60 minutes)

 

The obvious changes:

More points - for everything!
More lost point - for everything!
More points for "contributions" - (Shots on target, accurate crosses, aerial duels won, dribbles, etc)

 

No points for starting, or simply playing.

Oh, so that is all the scoring?  I thought that chart was just the changed items.  Interesting.  

Overall I'm all for it.  It adds a ton more value to players all over the pitch.  In years past it seemed like the only players that got consistent points were forwards (and attacking mids) for Goals and Assists and Defenders on top flight teams for CS.  

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Oh, so that is all the scoring?  I thought that chart was just the changed items.  Interesting.  

Overall I'm all for it.  It adds a ton more value to players all over the pitch.  In years past it seemed like the only players that got consistent points were forwards (and attacking mids) for Goals and Assists and Defenders on top flight teams for CS.  

Yes - we can add things like Assists for PK - to be treated the same as Assist.

 

I am doing some rough calculations now (very rough as I don't have a good data source for all the categories listed) - but it looks like the top players are still who you would expect - those that score/assist - but that players like an Ndidi (or other DMs) score well in this system.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI - saw this on the current league site:

 

You can no longer change the league configuration because this league has ended. If you want to continue this league into the next season, you can use the Copy League function.

Seasons are only available once the official schedules are released.

 

 

So, I think we are waiting for the PL to put out official schedules for 20-21.  That could be another week or so.

One of the rumors I have seen about 20-21 will be at the start - several of the teams that are currently still playing the 19/20 Europa and CL - may not start the season at the same time.  I would not be shocked to see Man City, Man United, Wolves and Chelsea get blanks for the 1st two weeks, and then make up those games later in the season.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little digging:

However, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Wolves are expected to be given extra time off by the Premier League should they go into the latter stages of their respective European competitions.

The Premier League is likely to ring-fence a guaranteed 30 days off for players to recover, from the day after their final European game of this season.

(Its not entirely clear how this would work - not sure if PL would schedule games 30 days after their last European game, or whether players would return to training 30 days later, with games to be about 2 weeks after that.  Spurs players were given 3 weeks off from the end of last season, and will start pre-season training on August 17, for a September 12 start - so a solid 4-week build up to the season.).

 

When will the fixtures be released?

That date has not yet been confirmed - but we'll bring you the full schedule on Sky Sports as soon as it is out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...