What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Millennial are you? (1 Viewer)

12 yas almost millenial

Agree that this is about food trends. Seems regional too - more likely to hit these in urban areas.

Most of those things have been around for years; bone broth, quinoa, kombucha, matcha, poke, acai bowls and boba are food trends?
Boba tea is popular around here because of the many Vietnamese folks who’ve set up shop here.

Bone broth ... explain. Something different from the age-old soup and pho starter?

Matcha is old, but unseen outside of Asian groceries until this decade.

Quinoa and açaí had no market share anywhere until maybe 2000. I bet if I time-traveled to NYC in 1990 I’d have had almost an impossible time finding them except maybe in avant-garde health food stores.

Kombucha is pure trend ...unavailable most places before the early 2010s.

Was poke anywhere besides Hawaii and California before 2015 or so?

Where did I say food trends disgusts me? I expect better reading comprehension out of you. Most of those things have been around for years; bone broth, quinoa, kombucha, matcha, poke, acai bowls and boba are food trends? :lmao:  OMG, what backward towns are you people from? Travel a little, there's a whole world out there.
That was your big mistake

Yeah tried [rolled ice cream] at my work party.  It was underwhelming.  Didn’t help that they were only doing double orders for sharing and I had to split fruity pebbles with my 6 year old.  Certainly not something I’d ever willingly pay for
IMHO, rolled ice cream is much better when it sticks to basics. Doesn’t seem to texturally support all the mix ins and stuff people try to add.

I like the Lime & Pamplemousse.  :shrug:
It’s all good. Just for me, the lack of at least a little sweet to balance out the uber-bitterness of the carbonation drowns out any flavoring they add. Not a taste I could ever acquire.

15, but I ain't remotely millennial. No smart phone, minimal social media, and I'm 47.

Avo toast, black ice cream, quinoa, kombucha, a lotta matcha, poke, La Croix, Acai bowl, sushi burrito, oat milk (yogurt), almond butter, green juice, cauliflower rice, boba, rolled ice cream.

Would be interested in trying cloud eggs, impossible burger, cronuts and overnight oats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that this is about food trends. Seems regional too - more likely to hit these in urban areas.
Very much regional. Some of the items (black ice cream, rainbow bagels, mermaid toast) were basically invented and sold at one establishment. Photos of the item on social media went viral, then a few places here and there copied the recipe and sold it temporarily while it was trending.

Is black ice cream, say, as readily found TODAY in New York or Los Angeles as it was back when it was trending in 2017?

Twitter told be something went wrong. I tried to reload the page. Something was still wrong. Closed page.

So -1, I guess. Since the millennial would have closed the page after the FIRST time something went wrong.

Twitter told be something went wrong. I tried to reload the page. Something was still wrong. Closed page.

So -1, I guess. Since the millennial would have closed the page after the FIRST time something went wrong.
This happened to me. I can't find the quiz.

I didn't even get points for filling in my fake name.  :kicksrock:

This happened to me. I can't find the quiz.

I didn't even get points for filling in my fake name.  :kicksrock:
There's a second link to press from that original. Maybe this works?

Eta...nope, sorry. Seems like there's mature content or something requiring the second link. Quinoa is pretty mature.

1:  quinoa, although if that's millennial, so is kale, couscous, and chia seeds.  Therefore, I strike it as invalid and I proudly get a zero. 

Late 40s, Basic at 6:

• Have eaten Quinoa frequently.
  • Had multiple Poke bowls, they are often tasty.
  • Had a sip of kombucha.
  • La Croix -- certainly, it's everywhere, though I prefer black cherry Bubly and we often have strawberry Perrier in my house as my son is addicted to it.
  • Almond butter is a staple at my house as my other son has peanut allergies.
  • Have had cauliflower rice (wife has experimented making pizza dough with it)
Have been dying to try a cronut, and while I've never had avocado toast, happy to eat it, looks delicious. And definitely looking forward to trying my first Impossible/Beyond burger, not sure why I haven't yet they are pretty widespread in both restaurants and supermarkets.

I’ve been eating poke for 45 years. That’s a millennial thing?
Yeah, this was strange to see, would never have associated it with Millennials per se, it's been a visible cuisine option across all generations for the last 10 years. 

Same with kombucha, cauliflower rice, almond butter, quinoa, etc. -- aligns more towards stomach/gluten/allergy sensitive diets in my mind than anything specific to Millennials. 

What state are you in? Poke only made it down here maybe 3-4 years ago.
My mom made it growing up and I eat it every time i’m visiting family (mom is Japanese and from Hawaii).  I know that over the last five or so years poke restaurants have become more prominent outside of Asian/Hawaiian communities, but I didn’t think it was a millennial thing. Don’t people of all ages eat there?

how millenial are you:

watch movies?

watch tv shows?

watch sports?

text with your phone?

go to restaurants?

eat food?

YOU'RE A MILLENNIAL!

WTF is mermaid toast
I had the same question when I first read through the list:

While it certainly looks like a piece of toast covered in candy and sweet spreads, mermaid toast is, in fact, the complete opposite. (I know—we were shocked too.) This magical food sensation is actually a very beautiful superfood snack that swaps your typical peanut butter or jam with almond milk cream cheese, spirulina, and chlorophyll. Say what now? Yes, green plant power on toast is a thing. It's definitely not what you think it's made of at first glance, and we're not the only ones surprised at the online hype surrounding it.

"I really have no idea (why it took off)," said Adeline Waugh, founder of Vibrant & Pure and creator of mermaid toast. "Maybe mermaid and unicorn foods are a form of escapism. I think sometimes people just want to look at something colorful and fantastical." Turns out pairing superfoods with aesthetics is a great way to make adults eat their greens. "My goal has always been to show that 'health food' doesn't have to be boring; in fact, in can be quite the opposite," she explained. "If nothing else, this trend could simply help open someone's eyes to healthy ingredients they would have never used otherwise."
The quote also mentions "unicorn foods". So far as I can tell, all unicorn foods really are is regular food items artificially colored non-traditional colors, chiefly pastels like pale blue, lavender, and pink.

There's also a wider class of "mermaid food" of which mermaid toast apparently belongs. Again, it's also just a color thing -- artificially coloring food to have aquatic colors and/or to shimmer. Not that it can't be done without artificial food coloring agents -- mermaid toast, for example, is colored with health food specialty items.

My mom made it growing up and I eat it every time i’m visiting family (mom is Japanese and from Hawaii).  I know that over the last five or so years poke restaurants have become more prominent outside of Asian/Hawaiian communities, but I didn’t think it was a millennial thing. Don’t people of all ages eat there?
Locally -- especially being a place with a deeply-entrenched and world-famous food scene? I would expect the poke places (they exist, but are still few in number) still have a typically under-40 clientele. Around here, the poke joints popped up near downtown hipster enclaves and not yet out into the 'burbs.

Think of it this way: say it's 1978, and you're eating at the very first sushi restaurant to open in Waterloo, Iowa or Hot Springs, Arkansas. Someplace like that. What age cohort would likely be the most food-adventurous, as a generality? The old coots that have eaten at the local diner and church potlucks for 40+ years? Or the younger professionals with disposable income and the kids home from college?

It was similar here with Vietnamese food. By the mid-1990s, Vietnamese cuisine was readily available** but still mostly the purview of Asian folks, yuppies, and college kids. These days, it has filtered more throughout the various population groups.

** Behind Los Angeles, the New Orleans area received the second-largest portion of the mid-1970s Vietnamese diaspora to the U.S.

Locally -- especially being a place with a deeply-entrenched and world-famous food scene? I would expect the poke places (they exist, but are still few in number) still have a typically under-40 clientele. Around here, the poke joints popped up near downtown hipster enclaves and not yet out into the 'burbs.

Think of it this way: say it's 1978, and you're eating at the very first sushi restaurant to open in Waterloo, Iowa or Hot Springs, Arkansas. Someplace like that. What age cohort would likely be the most food-adventurous, as a generality? The old coots that have eaten at the local diner and church potlucks for 40+ years? Or the younger professionals with disposable income and the kids home from college?

It was similar here with Vietnamese food. By the mid-1990s, Vietnamese cuisine was readily available** but still mostly the purview of Asian folks, yuppies, and college kids. These days, it has filtered more throughout the various population groups.

** Behind Los Angeles, the New Orleans area received the second-largest portion of the mid-1970s Vietnamese diaspora to the U.S.
Yeah, I guess all of that makes a lot of sense. It’s just odd since ahi poke is as much of a staple in Hawaii as spam. 

Yeah, I guess all of that makes a lot of sense. It’s just odd since ahi poke is as much of a staple in Hawaii as spam. 
Two of the wife's nieces grew up on the North shore and talked about rice plates...maybe bowls...same as poke, or different thing?

Poke is in the DC burbs as of last weekend at least. And omnipresent- more than burrito spots I think- in NYC. But it's only been the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread