What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should outside light come through a new solid garage door? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
My builder says yes.  I tend to think no but not in my field of expertise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around top, bottom, and sides.
Depends on the color of the weatherstripping they used. If the trim around your door was a white or off-white, the weatherstripping usually matches or is close to it.

And yes, they could let a little light in.

Mine does, wouldn't sweat it unless your garage is full of water the next time you get a good rain.

Garage doors -- the ones used for cars, at least -- are designed to keep out animals, not sunlight and air.

You can get some weather stripping stuff for around the edges, and even bottom of door itself.  That's what I did and made it a bit better. 

Do you have white weather stripping?  Sometimes the light will come through and make it look like a gap.  Can you feel warm air from outside?
It's 100 here, there is hot air in there no matter what.  It's a new home and I know the company handyman says it fine.  The warranty company states there should be no light.  I am only really worried about critters.  As there was light coming through the door from the inside house to the garage.  Big hole much light due to overcutting the bottom of the door for a security sensor.  

No.  There shouldn't be visible seams at the top or the side of your door once weatherstripped and installed correctly.  If they used light weatherstripping, then light might show through that and nothing is ever going to be completely air tight.  

Common way to check... if you can stick your finger through the gap before the weatherstripping is in, it's installed wrong.

No.  There shouldn't be visible seams at the top or the side of your door once weatherstripped and installed correctly.  If they used light weatherstripping, then light might show through that and nothing is ever going to be completely air tight.  

Common way to check... if you can stick your finger through the gap before the weatherstripping is in, it's installed wrong.
I have a smaller house then my daughter.  She is away and we went to let the dogs out.  I checked out their garage.  Their stripping was 1.5 to 2 inches.  Mine is an inch or less.  This is just by eyeballing it.  Theirs were done right, mine wasn't.

Thanks for your reply.

Light at the sides and top of your door could come from a number of things. If the tracks were not adjusted properly the door will sit too far away from the wall and let light through. If the opening for the door is bigger than the door, the weather seal is only hiding the edges of the door and will let light in. Light at the bottom is because your concrete is no level. The door should be leveled at install, which can raise one side off of the ground. If the concrete is wavey, you will see a few small spots under the door. For the most part, all garage doors will have some light coming in from around the sides. You won't notice other people's poor workmanship untill the door is installed, but a little light is nothing to worry about.

All glass windows on my door. But then again, I don’t have the “critter” issue in my neck of the woods. 

Hello, I'm the owner of a garage door company, with 15 years of experience in the field. Light coming through the top and sides is normal if you have light colored vinyl stops (or weather trim in laymens terms). If your concrete is level, and the close travel limit on your opener is set correctly, there should not be light coming through the bottom. If your concrete is not level though, the new garage door must be installed level, by shimming the low side and installing the track level in relation to the level bottom section. This sometimes results in a gap at the bottom on the low side. If this is the case, there are several aftermarket products that can be used to close the gap. Hope this was helpful.

Hello, I'm the owner of a garage door company, with 15 years of experience in the field. Light coming through the top and sides is normal if you have light colored vinyl stops (or weather trim in laymens terms). If your concrete is level, and the close travel limit on your opener is set correctly, there should not be light coming through the bottom. If your concrete is not level though, the new garage door must be installed level, by shimming the low side and installing the track level in relation to the level bottom section. This sometimes results in a gap at the bottom on the low side. If this is the case, there are several aftermarket products that can be used to close the gap. Hope this was helpful.
I think I got it all sort of solved.  The track needs adjust forward a little.  But the concrete in the middle had a 1" gap because how the seem in the concrete was done.  It's the biggest gap by far.  Thanks for the time and info!

Users who are viewing this thread