Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Not surprising given their home record.  Pretty bad for baseball.    Astros cheating their way to a ring in 2017.   

 

Mike Fiers and three other unnamed sources have admitted to The Athletic that the Astros stole opposing teams’ signs during home games at Minute Maid Park during that season with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield

Who cares? Everyone does this. It's not even close to cheating. If relaying signs is cheating then so is having secret signs to begin with. :lol:  Just make everything transparent so these purists will stop crying.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This did not age well. 

If you were cheating and Fernando Rodney still got you out in a playoff game, you should get double the punishment.  

its forever tainted no matter what else happens or who else is disciplined basically the houston astros have the leg lamp of championship trophies and when stros fans try to tell you its a major award

5 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Who cares? Everyone does this. It's not even close to cheating. If relaying signs is cheating then so is having secret signs to begin with. :lol:  Just make everything transparent so these purists will stop crying.

Who is relaying signs with no one on second base?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

I didn't see this coming even with a Telephoto lens in CF.

@PavlovicNBCS: The Giants have chosen Gabe Kapler as their next manager. He was the favorite from the beginning, and in the end he is Farhan Zaidi's choice.

Farhan's honeymoon with Giants fans is over

ETA:  Yikes, the comments

Edited by Eephus
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kodycutter said:

Yeah, ok. we'll just have to agree to disagree.   Pllenty of mlb players not happy about the cheating.    

Where are those players on these using PEDs? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 

Honestly I feel the dude is incredible overrated. My friends said the year the Yankees missed the playoffs with all the injuries dude had issues putting a line up together that didn't have Posada/A-Rod/Tex/Jeter at times etc missing all star players. I feel anyone could've won a WS with the teams he had together. I give it a year before the Phillies fans who are singing his praise now turn on him. Just something about this guy doesn't sit with me. He reminds of of a fast talking used car salesman trying to sell you his cheapest used card for dirt cheap acting like its a great buy. Minute you get it you start to ask yourself if this thing is street legal safe and can it get me to the grocery store and back without dying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 

Honestly I feel the dude is incredible overrated. My friends said the year the Yankees missed the playoffs with all the injuries dude had issues putting a line up together that didn't have Posada/A-Rod/Tex/Jeter at times etc missing all star players. I feel anyone could've won a WS with the teams he had together. I give it a year before the Phillies fans who are singing his praise now turn on him. Just something about this guy doesn't sit with me. He reminds of of a fast talking used car salesman trying to sell you his cheapest used card for dirt cheap acting like its a great buy. Minute you get it you start to ask yourself if this thing is street legal safe and can it get me to the grocery store and back without dying. 

At least you don't have Kapler anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I hope happens out of all this is they follow football’s lead and come up with some kind of wireless earpiece for the battery (or heck even all 9 players- let them in on the pitch and play defense accordingly). Let the pitching coach and manager have it too and they could actually call pitches from the dugout if they want. 

You get caught trying to hack into it or something like that and it would be major penalties. 

No more crying about sign stealing. No more catcher cross up BS passed balls. Shorter game times. 

Voilla 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

The Astros cheating is pretty astounding to me - then seeing their home road splits this year and it’s even more blatant. 

You’re gonna need more proof than they had a good record at home for this “blatant” cheating after the rule was changed. 

Whatever they allegedly did in 2017 was legal at the time. 

The Astros have a lot of smart people running them who aren’t necessarily baseball people. They will push the envelope as far as they can to win because that’s what their hired to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JaxBill said:

I didn't see this coming even with a Telephoto lens in CF.

@PavlovicNBCS: The Giants have chosen Gabe Kapler as their next manager. He was the favorite from the beginning, and in the end he is Farhan Zaidi's choice.

Kapler is terrible and I can't believe another major league team hired him.  The Giants must hate winning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this probably won't hold much water coming from an Astros fan, but stealing signs is not a huge deal.  And I wouldn't care who did/does it.  (Keep in mind, the article said multiple teams, but the Astros are being focused on because they won the WS.)

First off, Fiers is an ###hole.  Never been a fan of guys who are OK "cheating" when it's helping them, but then report it once it's no longer helping.  

But more importantly, it's the 21st century.  There are cameras everywhere.  If you are still throwing down a single amount of fingers to indicate a pitch, that's on you.  You should be using an encrypted system like the 3rd base coach giving signals.  And honestly, I'd be OK with the pitcher and catcher being able to communicate with each other using some tech device.  Why do we force them to give signs in the year 2019?!?  It's dumb.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kodycutter said:

Yeah, ok. we'll just have to agree to disagree.   Pllenty of mlb players not happy about the cheating.    

It's not cheating, just like taking batting practice isn't cheating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eephus said:

At least you don't have Kapler anymore

I don't think it was all his fault. Injuries and lack of pitching hurt more than anything. Honestly the only guy I'd want managing is bringing Charlie back to do it. Something with Girardi just doesn't sit well

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I know this probably won't hold much water coming from an Astros fan, but stealing signs is not a huge deal.  And I wouldn't care who did/does it.  (Keep in mind, the article said multiple teams, but the Astros are being focused on because they won the WS.)

First off, Fiers is an ###hole.  Never been a fan of guys who are OK "cheating" when it's helping them, but then report it once it's no longer helping.  

But more importantly, it's the 21st century.  There are cameras everywhere.  If you are still throwing down a single amount of fingers to indicate a pitch, that's on you.  You should be using an encrypted system like the 3rd base coach giving signals.  And honestly, I'd be OK with the pitcher and catcher being able to communicate with each other using some tech device.  Why do we force them to give signs in the year 2019?!?  It's dumb.

 

I agree Phillies did this awhile back but a lot of teams did at the time. We were just focused more do to the success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how ESPN has made the Astros out to be this evil organization.  Was reading something last night where they said this cheating scandal comes on the heels of the issue with the front office being misogynistic. 

What? :confused:

One guy said something dumb.  And he got canned.  And, honestly, it wasn't even that offensive.  Sure, in this #metoo era, it's viewed as offensive.  But is it really?  Dumb?  Yes.  Offensive?  No.  If he would have yelled, "Hey, #####es!  I'm glad we traded for a guy who beats women because I like when men beat women!  It's the greatest thing since Hitler!"  That's offensive.  But yelling "That's why we traded for him!" is not offensive.  Again, very dumb.  And I would have let him go, too.  But not because what he said was offensive.  Because he's a moron.  

The Astros are not evil.  Far from it.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

 

Knowing you from the internet, and having never met Mike Trout, I feel like you probably deserved it.

Fair commentary. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NREC34 said:
27 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Wow, tanking not enough for the Stros.

What rule at the time did they break?

Hitler didn't break any laws either.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to interrupt the talk about banging trashcans, cameras and disgruntled fans, but who’s everyone got for Cy Young tonight?

NL- deGrom (yeah, I’m a Mets fan. But I don’t think this is a race. ) eta: 21 straight innings to end the season with 0 runs allowed- thats making a statement.

AL- i’m going with Cole slightly over Verlander, but you could easily convince me to go Verlander.

Edited by MindCrime
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

DeGrom goes back to back. Did they say who else has done that?

Koufax (back when there was only one award for both leagues)

Denny McLain

Palmer

Maddux (four consecutive)

Clemens

Pedro (three)

Randy Johnson (four)

Lincecum :wub:

Kershaw

Scherzer

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 

I'm surprised the Phillies let Girardi cross-examine Ambassador Taylor at the impeachment hearings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NREC34 said:

You’re gonna need more proof than they had a good record at home for this “blatant” cheating after the rule was changed. 

Whatever they allegedly did in 2017 was legal at the time. 

The Astros have a lot of smart people running them who aren’t necessarily baseball people. They will push the envelope as far as they can to win because that’s what their hired to do. 

Stop defending this.   You're embarrassing yourself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

They have a player literally on the team admitting it. 

A disgruntled player now on a division rival who got left off the postseason roster. Yes. 

You also have another player, Beltran who says they didn’t. 

I see a lot of people on Twitter saying that they think these clips are faked. 

If they did do it some in some regular season games it wasn’t against the written rules at the time. They also should’ve figured out something better than banging on a trash can. Too obvious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised Cole lost to Verlander.  That was a shocker.

Hoping some Giants fans can help me with this.  I tape Intentional Talk on MLB Network and when I went to watch yesterday's episode, it was pre-empted by the Giants press conference of introducing Kapler.  Thing is, it came in not at the beginning.  The owner (Middle Eastern named guy) was apologizing for something.  He kept saying he needed to do a better job at "that" and that they needed to work on "that" at all levels of the organization.  Then Kapler went into the same thing.  But they never mentioned what they were apologizing for.  I ended up watching about 10 minutes of it before I got bored and fast forwarded.  When it was over, they went to the guys in the studio and the one guy asked what he thought of the presser.  And the guy said, "One word: Wow."  Then they went on to talk about how odd that presser was because usually introducing a new manager is a good thing but they kept talking about contentious it was.

What happened? :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Surprised Cole lost to Verlander.  That was a shocker.

Hoping some Giants fans can help me with this.  I tape Intentional Talk on MLB Network and when I went to watch yesterday's episode, it was pre-empted by the Giants press conference of introducing Kapler.  Thing is, it came in not at the beginning.  The owner (Middle Eastern named guy) was apologizing for something.  He kept saying he needed to do a better job at "that" and that they needed to work on "that" at all levels of the organization.  Then Kapler went into the same thing.  But they never mentioned what they were apologizing for.  I ended up watching about 10 minutes of it before I got bored and fast forwarded.  When it was over, they went to the guys in the studio and the one guy asked what he thought of the presser.  And the guy said, "One word: Wow."  Then they went on to talk about how odd that presser was because usually introducing a new manager is a good thing but they kept talking about contentious it was.

What happened? :confused:

Back story from when Zaidi and Kapler were in the Dodgers organization.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Eephus said:

What is so odd about that is Kapler led domestic violence awareness days when he was a member of the Red Sox. His wife had been in a physically abusive relationship before he married her. He should absolutely know better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this over on Reddit: Astros plate discipline numbers in all games (MLB rank in parentheses):

Year Contact Swinging Strike
2014 75.7% (30) 11.2% (28)
2015 75.9% (29) 11.5% (29)
2016 74.7% (29) 11.4% (28)
2017 81.2% (1) 8.5% (1)
2018 79.9% (2) 8.9% (2)
2019 80.7% (1) 8.6% (1)

That is some kind of turnaround starting in 2017.    Amazing 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Saw this over on Reddit: Astros plate discipline numbers in all games (MLB rank in parentheses):

Year Contact Swinging Strike
2014 75.7% (30) 11.2% (28)
2015 75.9% (29) 11.5% (29)
2016 74.7% (29) 11.4% (28)
2017 81.2% (1) 8.5% (1)
2018 79.9% (2) 8.9% (2)
2019 80.7% (1) 8.6% (1)

That is some kind of turnaround starting in 2017.    Amazing 🤣

Well, the 2014 and 2015 teams were terrible and had no name players.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Surprised Cole lost to Verlander.  That was a shocker.

Hoping some Giants fans can help me with this.  I tape Intentional Talk on MLB Network and when I went to watch yesterday's episode, it was pre-empted by the Giants press conference of introducing Kapler.  Thing is, it came in not at the beginning.  The owner (Middle Eastern named guy) was apologizing for something.  He kept saying he needed to do a better job at "that" and that they needed to work on "that" at all levels of the organization.  Then Kapler went into the same thing.  But they never mentioned what they were apologizing for.  I ended up watching about 10 minutes of it before I got bored and fast forwarded.  When it was over, they went to the guys in the studio and the one guy asked what he thought of the presser.  And the guy said, "One word: Wow."  Then they went on to talk about how odd that presser was because usually introducing a new manager is a good thing but they kept talking about contentious it was.

What happened? :confused:

I think Cole had a stronger finish but Verlander was more consistent 

i had bets on both to win though 💰

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...