What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 3-Down LBs (1 Viewer)

Onwuasor's run as 3-down LB might be over.

Tony Jefferson wore the green dot last sunday, the Ravens signed LJ Ford and they hosted Mason Foster, Vincent Rey and Bynes today.

This could become a mega platoon like the Chargers.
honestly, i'm trying to get a handle on what they're doing. Kenny Young vs Chris Board was talked up all offseason. Board was supposed to take ILB but Young has mostly kept him at bay. Even then Young hasn't done much.

honestly, i'm trying to get a handle on what they're doing. Kenny Young vs Chris Board was talked up all offseason. Board was supposed to take ILB but Young has mostly kept him at bay. Even then Young hasn't done much.
Agreed.  I liked what I saw from Kenny Young lasts season, but there's something else going on with that Baltimore LB situation/defense.  Plus the Ravens offense always has the chance of keeping the ball on the ground a lot, lowering possessions, and defensive scoring opportunities.

Weddle wore the dot recently for the Rams, so Jefferson's not the only safety to do it. It's an interesting development tho, in league-wide context. I do agree that Onwuasor doesn't have a high ceiling and that Jefferson calling plays is a sign of it. It looks like Board and Young are in a similar rotation as Young and Onwuasor last year. And the Ravens are playing a fair bit of dime. Eight defensive backs see the field in any given week there. Jene Bramel and Justin Varnes have been predicting scarcity of 3-down LBs for a couple of years, and these might be signs of it.

Josh Bynes back in purple. 
Good call.  Onwuasor, Young, and Board have been bad, if PFF grades are to be believed.  Nick Chubb humiliated them.  I put big FAAB $$ on Bynes in a 20-team league, reckoning he'll start once he's up to speed in the defense.  No one else in my leagues is on him tho, so I might be an idiot!

Cole Holcomb is putting up big numbers but still only playing 55% of snaps for week 4? WTF does this kid have to do? 

Even vs. the Pats... I wasn't watching much of the game. Anyone have insight into what he's doing and how he's posting 8T 2A with these low snap counts?

Is it time to be officially concerned about Myles Jack?  His tackle numbers just aren't there.

Is it time to be officially concerned about Myles Jack?  His tackle numbers just aren't there.
I wasn't worried before yesterday. He was kicked out of game 1 and concussed game 3. But he was lost yesterday. Saving grace, there isn't anyone there to take his spot right now. Rookie Quincy Williams was worse and benched. So this may not be a total disaster for this year. Snaps alone will lead to passable box scores. I'm wary what lies beyond this year though. So I'm looking for a sell opportunity.

I mean I feel like he's always been like that though, though you could always argue Telvin was the one getting a lot of the #'s. A bit concerning that he's now the dude there this year and he just can't produce like the top guys. He's obviously athletic and all that, but you watch him play and he looks clueless. Bad angles, no ability to read and react, gets swallowed up by blocks often. He's not a MLB in the NFL in my opinion, but he's there for this season so it could work out.

Is anybody watching LAC games? Old-man Davis was the 100% count LB for the first 3 weeks but is banged up (shocker at his age, right? :D). Nwosu had a great line to show for his 93% this weekend and Drue Tranquill posted 6T 2A with a paltry 33% of snaps. Still a hot mess that should be avoided? 

Is anybody watching LAC games? Old-man Davis was the 100% count LB for the first 3 weeks but is banged up (shocker at his age, right? :D). Nwosu had a great line to show for his 93% this weekend and Drue Tranquill posted 6T 2A with a paltry 33% of snaps. Still a hot mess that should be avoided? 
I think I read that Nwosu was filling in for Ingram so that is why he had such a high snap count.  Might be good in big play leagues if he can get after the QB. 

Whether intentional or not they have accumulated talent that no reasonable person would expect to be able to sustain a full time workload. Perhaps it's the new market inefficiency? Granted, they expected this group to be deployed in front of Derwin James. Not being able to do so and then losing Adrian Phillips too only complicate matters.

But I wonder if there was a method behind this madness and it not just being a product of an unusual amount of variance.

Whether intentional or not they have accumulated talent that no reasonable person would expect to be able to sustain a full time workload. Perhaps it's the new market inefficiency? Granted, they expected this group to be deployed in front of Derwin James. Not being able to do so and then losing Adrian Phillips too only complicate matters.

But I wonder if there was a method behind this madness and it not just being a product of an unusual amount of variance.
The defensive equivalent of RBBC. We are seeing the specialized roles in offensive schemes, so it only makes sense to see it in D, as well. Ultimately, if teams don't have that blue chip talent that can do it all, they lean towards multiple players doing specialized pieces of it. 

Anybody at all interested in AJ Johnson? I know he replaced Josey Jewell for a game, but by a lot of accounts he had himself a pretty nice game. Maybe he cemented himself a spot? They've got a pretty underwhelming LB crew as is, so could be promising, or nothing.

Anybody at all interested in AJ Johnson? I know he replaced Josey Jewell for a game, but by a lot of accounts he had himself a pretty nice game. Maybe he cemented himself a spot? They've got a pretty underwhelming LB crew as is, so could be promising, or nothing.
I have Jewell in 2 leagues and only held on b/c that LB core was so weak. AJ Johnson seems like a smart add if there's room for the exact same reason. The 2 places I have Jewell are 12 teams with 55 man rosters, though, so there's plenty of room for guys like that. I'll try to aquire AJ to wait out the mess.

Going to make a nice bid on AJ Johnson and then Bynes.

I know Bynes is starting and locked in, but Johnsons upside has me incredibly intrigued. Would be okay with losing money and him not panning out based on that upside.

Johnson's multiple rape charges sucks absolute donkey balls though.

I just picked him up in a 16 team 45 man roster league where I’ve been struggling to get LB production ( Edmunds/Littleton, and junk).

Was also looking at David Mayo for Giants. He started a few games for Carolina I think last year. Ben Niemann filled in for Anthony Hitchens who had a groin or hamstring injury (I’ve read both) and had a decent game. All injury plays so likely only playable for a week or 2. But you never know.

I went with Johnson only because I read he’s much more athletic than Davis or Jewell.

Cole Holcomb is putting up big numbers but still only playing 55% of snaps for week 4? WTF does this kid have to do? 

Even vs. the Pats... I wasn't watching much of the game. Anyone have insight into what he's doing and how he's posting 8T 2A with these low snap counts?
Derp. I must not have recognized that the week 5 snaps weren't up yet when I posted this. Holcomb was 55% in week 4 then up to 78% in week 5. All aboard! :D

I don't even know if Jerome Baker is out there 100% today, but I think I'm officially done with this guy. Absolutely useless for a 3 down LB.

I have Jewell in 2 leagues and only held on b/c that LB core was so weak. AJ Johnson seems like a smart add if there's room for the exact same reason. The 2 places I have Jewell are 12 teams with 55 man rosters, though, so there's plenty of room for guys like that. I'll try to aquire AJ to wait out the mess.
Second good game from AJ. I don't know if Jewell was out again or what, but he had himself 9 total and 1.5 sacks today. I went on a Broncos forum and they're raving about how good he looks FWIW. Might have gotten ourselves a nice little midseason boost by grabbing him.

Yeah, this doesn’t necessarily bode well for Jewell owners. I’ve been trying to move him past few weeks with no luck. I think after today that feat might be impossible for the time being. 

Jewell was limited Wed then full practice Thursday and Friday. Nothing in news about him aggravating it in warm ups so I'd say it looks like AJ won the spot. Still holding Jewell knowing Todd Davis has never been amazing and is only under contract through 2020, with spotrac showing an "out" next year. Denver has a few contracts to deal with and Davis could be a big cap savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jewell was limited Wed then full practice Thursday and Friday. Nothing in news about him aggravating it in warm ups so I'd say it looks like AJ won the spot. Still holding Jewell knowing Todd Davis has never been amazing and is only under contract through 2020, with spotrac showing an "out" next year. Denver has a few contracts to deal with and Davis could be a big cap savings.
Being part of the defense that pitched a shutout will help his case.

matttyl said:
Right there with you.  What's up with him?  The Redskins ran the ball all day.
Yeah man, I was hoping for a kind of Paul Worrilow situation with him. Just a crap guy on a crap defense and he can't take advantage of it(at least for IDP). This week it looks like they had a 4 LB thing going on with Biegel. I don't know if anyone got injured or anything, but yeah I'm done with this.

Yeah man, I was hoping for a kind of Paul Worrilow situation with him. Just a crap guy on a crap defense and he can't take advantage of it(at least for IDP). This week it looks like they had a 4 LB thing going on with Biegel. I don't know if anyone got injured or anything, but yeah I'm done with this.
Baker still played 81% of the snaps but his value was getting 100% of snaps and being the only guy....but I guess he has been terrible this year and wasn't done anything anyway. 

Snap counts and news blurbs sure look like Goode, Mayo, and Gerry are target worthy LBs on this week's wire.

Edit: Drue Tranquil seeing his snaps climb over the last 3 games, too. 19% 33% 52%

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been adding Grugier-Hill where I can...looks to be in line to start

also intrigued with Kenny Young...traded to Rams
Re Gruiger-Hill, based on what? Week 6 was the first time he out snapped Bradham all season, it wasn't by all that much, and they also got Edwards involved.

I'm wary the Kenny Young move just puts a cap on Reeder, not that Young actually takes his snaps.

With Mosely possibly coming back how big of a hit does Hewitt take?  He has been a stud this year and had a nice game vs NE last time.  Is he still an auto start (assuming he is healthy)?

Re Gruiger-Hill, based on what? Week 6 was the first time he out snapped Bradham all season, it wasn't by all that much, and they also got Edwards involved.

I'm wary the Kenny Young move just puts a cap on Reeder, not that Young actually takes his snaps.
with Zach Brown getting cut have been reading Gruiger-Hill should be in line to get ↑ snaps

With Mosely possibly coming back how big of a hit does Hewitt take?  He has been a stud this year and had a nice game vs NE last time.  Is he still an auto start (assuming he is healthy)?
Hurts a bit, I think. Keep in mind some of Hewitt's fantasy points came from sacks.  But New England has been playing a lot of snaps on offense, so still ok as a LB3 for me if you're thin at the position.

Looks like Grugier-Hill got enough snaps (around 85%), but didn't do much with them. Maybe a hold in deep leagues where you need depth, but he doesn't seem like a guy who puts up good per snap stats when he's out there. Limited upside IMO. If Bradham practices this week, KGH looks like an easy drop. 

He's never been a good football player. This year was just born from situation. He should be useless by 2020 and possibly sooner. 
Jerome Baker had another solid game last night and was not properly credited with a strip sack fumble, not bad for LB3-4

Jerome Baker had another solid game last night and was not properly credited with a strip sack fumble, not bad for LB3-4
He had been invisible all year until last night.  I was wondering what changed as he was all over the place.  Was there a change in scheme or usage?  He looked really good last night for IDP purposes. 

I was about to cut him and now I am not so sure.  Last night was what I expected out of him all year.  Can he keep it going?

I wasn't worried before yesterday. He was kicked out of game 1 and concussed game 3. But he was lost yesterday. Saving grace, there isn't anyone there to take his spot right now. Rookie Quincy Williams was worse and benched. So this may not be a total disaster for this year. Snaps alone will lead to passable box scores. I'm wary what lies beyond this year though. So I'm looking for a sell opportunity.
Fwiw, sold Jack and a 4 for what will be a top 3 pick in round 2. I should have the depth to get through this year and whoever is there in this loaded class should be an improvement over whatever his role next year. Thought this would be the year...

He had been invisible all year until last night.  I was wondering what changed as he was all over the place.  Was there a change in scheme or usage?  He looked really good last night for IDP purposes. 

I was about to cut him and now I am not so sure.  Last night was what I expected out of him all year.  Can he keep it going?
Equavoen was talked about early in the season. Me, personally, I'm adding Beigel and starting him for 2 weeks now. Active tackler and occasional big play made. Plus he's still mostly free.

NY Jets LB's are in trouble.  Mosely already out and Cashman was just put on IR with a torn labrum.  Hewitt has been really good when on the field but he is also dinged up.  There are some opportunities but I am not sure of the next man up.....The rotoworld depth chart just goes to Cashman for ILB.  Anybody have a good guess who might be in line?

Cashman :deadbanana: who's the pick for NYJ while everyone is injured? This Burgess dude worth watching? 

Users who are viewing this thread