What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gun Guys - Good Starter Rifle for a 16 YO? (1 Viewer)

Ok you guys are talking me into the .22.  My only concern is they're not as fun to shoot.  Doesn't feel all that different from an air rifle.

But for a first gun maybe that's fine.
I would also go .22, but if you wanted something with a little more pop but short of something like a .223, the .17HMR is a fun little caliber.  

Mad Cow said:
Just gotta be careful with those Wolf and the like.  Some AR's do not like to feed them.
Yeah, particularly the steel case rounds. Mine doesn't like them at all. Or at least every 5th one. 

.22 rounds can be bought regularly around $.04 to .05 a round. I believe the next cheapest rounds for rifles you can buy will be around $.20 or more per round. An average day on the range I go through 200-300 rounds. That's the reason I just went and bought a 22 pistol for practicing and yes, it's still a lot of fun.

I agree with the .22 recommendations.  Lots of fun and cheap. As mentioned there are a lot of accessories to trick-out a  Ruger 10/22.

Maybe unrelated anecdote.  My daughter shot competitive .22 rifle from pre Jr high through high school.  No joke when my daughter was going through her college honors program interviews, the interviewers were VERY interested in her shooting team experience. 

My daughter doesn't shoot rifle in college but a few girls she shot against are on rifle team scholarships.

Mad Cow said:
Just gotta be careful with those Wolf and the like.  Some AR's do not like to feed them.
Absolutely something to consider with steel cased pew pills. That said, given some of the value of an AR is in a SHTF scenario... I like mine to be able to feed it without issue. 

Usually easily remedied with a bit of break-in by putting some brass through it. Also can help to give it a good lube, or at worst some tinkering with buffer/spring combo.

Wolf is generally very good steel case plinking ammo though. Some other crap is a bit underpowered which can cause some of the issues. 

Absolutely something to consider with steel cased pew pills. That said, given some of the value of an AR is in a SHTF scenario... I like mine to be able to feed it without issue. 

Usually easily remedied with a bit of break-in by putting some brass through it. Also can help to give it a good lube, or at worst some tinkering with buffer/spring combo.

Wolf is generally very good steel case plinking ammo though. Some other crap is a bit underpowered which can cause some of the issues. 
That is certainly a possibility for the cycling issues, less power.

I agree with the .22 recommendations.  Lots of fun and cheap. As mentioned there are a lot of accessories to trick-out a  Ruger 10/22.

Maybe unrelated anecdote.  My daughter shot competitive .22 rifle from pre Jr high through high school.  No joke when my daughter was going through her college honors program interviews, the interviewers were VERY interested in her shooting team experience. 

My daughter doesn't shoot rifle in college but a few girls she shot against are on rifle team scholarships.
A friend of the fam has a son that was on the rifle team in high school and got a partial scholarship to be on the rifle team in college. I had no idea there were rifle teams in either high school or college until I heard her talk about him. 

A friend of the fam has a son that was on the rifle team in high school and got a partial scholarship to be on the rifle team in college. I had no idea there were rifle teams in either high school or college until I heard her talk about him. 
I think there are quite a few colleges that have women's rifle teams to meet Title IX requirements.  I have a younger cousin that was a multi-year state champ and did well in HS nationals.  She was offered scholarships all over the place, but decided to stay home.  :(  

I think there are quite a few colleges that have women's rifle teams to meet Title IX requirements.  I have a younger cousin that was a multi-year state champ and did well in HS nationals.  She was offered scholarships all over the place, but decided to stay home.  :(  
I never heard of any of this. It blow me away, that in this day and age, kids bring guns to school to use in sanctioned events. Get them shooting, there are scholarships out there. 

Users who are viewing this thread