What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jakobi Meyers, LV (1 Viewer)

JoeSteeler

Footballguy
Couldn't find a topic on him...has done nothing but impress so far from what I have read. Long way to go but someone to monitor.

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports Patriots first-round WR N'Keal Harry has been outplayed by UDFA Jakobi Meyers through the early days of camp.

Per Giardi, Meyers has "consistently made plays in competitive situations." There have been reports of Harry dropping passes and running with the second-team offense. Harry still has plenty of time to get into a groove, but this is a reminder that nothing can be taken for granted with Patriots rookies, regardless of draft position.
Boston Sports Journal's Greg Bedard reports WR Jakobi Meyers is "[Tom] Brady's favorite target" among Patriots receivers.

Even as an undrafted free agent, Meyers (6’2/203) has been the talk of the town at each and every Patriots practice thus far, reportedly outperforming first-round rookie N'Keal Harry and hauling in 14-of-18 camp targets in 11-on-11 drills. Meyers might not make the cut on any other team, but he has a direct path to opportunity in New England's offense as Harry as underwhelmed, Josh Gordon remains suspended, and the team will spend a majority of the preseason finding a backup slot receiver while Julian Edelman (thumb) recovers. He's a player to monitor in the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rare practice moment a glimpse into Jakobi Meyers' early success with Patriots

from that link...

"He's a smart kid and he understands, and has versatility, understands the offense," Belichick said. "Like any rookie, any young player, there's a lot of things he needs to work on technique-wise — recognition, route adjustments — just a lot of fine points. He basically knows what to do, but there are a lot of subtleties and nuances that all receivers need to pick up — certainly in our offense — and he's doing that.

"There's more than we've had to get down, but he's making progress there. Whether that comes from his quarterback background, or his experience, or his intelligence, or his learning, I'm not really sure. But that's not really an issue. He's a smart kid, and he learns well."

Evan Lazar‏ @ezlazar

Some notes from #Patriots practice today. Overall, a good session for the Pats: - Still no contact for Isaiah Wynn - Jakobi Meyers was open all day - Chase Winovich is coming - Jake Bailey is my leader in the punter battle right now

8:55 AM - 5 Aug 2019

Patriots training camp awards from Day 9

Excerpt:

STUD: Jakobi Meyers. There was a lot of competition here. Linebacker Jamie Collins had a good day forcing a fumble, and breaking up a Matthew Stafford pass. Both Chase Winovich and Shilique Calhoun were in the backfield a lot, harassing quarterbacks. N’Keal Harry made some nice plays, but Meyers continues to shine, getting open, making spectacular plays no matter who is covering him. His best was a diving grab by the sideline on a Tom Brady pass during 11-on-11s.

5 under-the-radar Patriots making an early roster push

Excerpt:

Maurice Harris

Another position of turnover this season is wide receiver and free agent signee Maurice Harris has been the most consistent new player, developing an early rapport with Tom Brady and catching everything that’s been thrown in his direction.

Harris had just 28 catches in 2018 with the Redskins, including a 10-catch, 124-yard day against the Falcons, but looks like he could build on those numbers in New England. He’s not going to step in and be a dominant X-receiver, but has the size and hands to develop into a reliable third or fourth option, which is still a significant need for the offense.

Jakobi Meyers

Harris has been getting some competition for that role from undrafted rookie Jakobi Meyers, who had his best practice of the day on Thursday. A former high school quarterback, Meyers has good size at 6-2, 203 pounds and has made some of the most notable acrobatic catches of training camp.

Meyers has moved around the formation and brings some inside/outside flexibility. At NC State he had 222 targets in the slot. That kind of versatility could give him an edge over Harris, especially with Braxton Berrios’ lackluster start.

“He's made some really competitive catches,” said veteran safety Devin McCourty after Thursday’s practice. “I think that's a good thing to see about all these young guys, is their ability and their want to come out here and try to outwork everybody. That's what it takes when you're a rookie. You just have to come out here and play hard, and try to outwork everybody.”

With noticeable improvement in just his first week in the NFL, Meyers will be one to watch as we progress into preseason games.

I was watching ESPN at lunch and they had a Tom Brady post-practice interview where he praised him. So I grabbed him in my dynasty leagues.  

Zack Cox @ZackCoxNESN

Jakobi Meyers had another four catches on six targets in 11-on-11s today. He's now tied with Maurice Harris for the camp lead, with N'Keal Harry not far behind.

Grabbed Meyers as my final pick in my rookie draft.  Not expecting anything at all, hell I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut before week one, but I've got unlimited taxi squad spots and we've seen wrs come from nowhere and end up as top tier guys in that offense before.

Put his name down to watch him and didn’t mind his landing spot but never added him. Not sure if I’ll be able to at a cheap price anymore

is he a slot guy or can he play on the outside too? Just wondering for re-draft value, what with Edelman there and all.

Patriots WR Jakobi Meyers caught 6-of-8 targets for 69 yards and two touchdowns in Thursday's preseason opener.

Reportedly Tom Brady's "favorite target" thus far in camp, the undrafted free agent caught scores from both Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham. UDFAs frequently draw camp raves before wilting in actual games, so it's no small thing that Meyers showed up in Detroit. There is still a long way to go between now and cut-down day, but Meyers is inching closer to a 53-man roster spot.

Aug 9, 2019, 11:27 AM ET

is he a slot guy or can he play on the outside too? Just wondering for re-draft value, what with Edelman there and all.
this is the Q i think

given what we've seen historically from BB and the Pats, they have roles, and players that fill roles.  so if they like him in the slot, feels like that's what he's gonna be.

also feels a bit like this young kid julian edelman that made some splashes while sitting behind wes welker.  good stash in dynasty but that's it for now.  if i'm stashing a pats wr in dynasty, it will be the rookie vs 4th yr redskin castoff signed to only a 1 yr deal in NE, so answering my own Q from a few posts ago, i choose jakobi over maurice harris.

Another day, another great practice from Meyers with Brady. Apparently, he's catching everything in sight and he's earning Brady's trust. Getting open against what will be a very good secondary. He very well could be a Week 1 starting WR. He's on my radar as a late-round flier in deep bench redraft leagues. 

He is a free agent in my dynasty league and I opened up bidding on him late last week. He is presently at $16 and I have $218 for the season. What % of your free agent bucks would you spend on him in preseason?

Have three dyno slow drafts in process as we speak...will update as he is picked
has been taken in two of the drafts...rookie only drafts...pick #23 in one and #28 in the other

third league is on pick #46 and he is still out there...trying to trade up as we speak

Former Patriot Matt Chatham on watching Meyers in practices against the Titans this week:

"If Jakobi Meyers was a 6th yr WR & had played w/ Brady his whole career he wouldnt look much different than he does now. Guy has shown up looking like a pro ready to produce in this O—rookie undrafted stuff be damned. Dont know what that means for reg season usage, but he belongs"

Jakobi Meyers caught all six of his targets for 82 yards in the Patriots' second preseason game Saturday.

He also caught a two-point conversion following a Brandon Bolden rushing score. Meyers ran with the "starters" group in this one, though Tom Brady, Sony Michel, and James White all didn't play. Still, Meyers has looked like a legit outside weapon both in exhibition action and on the practice field. He has 12 grabs for 151 yards and two touchdowns on 14 targets this preseason. The return of Josh Gordon severely dinged Meyers' potential upside, but he's putting himself in the mix for third or fourth receiver duties come the regular season.

Aug 18, 2019, 11:52 AM ET

With Gordon back he's no best than 4th in line for targets, and that's not counting Harry.
He has been crushing the preseason, the beat writers say Brady loves him and Harry is not off to a good start and its separate positions.  Slot for #1.  He doesnt have a lot of competition for the slot role.

I aint letting Gordon scaring me a bit.  He will be gone by week 8ish

I have zero interest in him in redraft, his adp is probably too high.
Not sure why

He has been crushing the preseason, the beat writers say Brady loves him and Harry is not off to a good start and its separate positions.  Slot for #1.  He doesnt have a lot of competition for the slot role.

Not sure why
They are running a Pop Warner playbook in the preseason. And every other NFL level receiver on the roster is injured. Sure, he's looked good in the first two preseason games . . . mostly playing with backups and going up against defenders that may be out of the league in two weeks.

I don't see him ahead of Edelman, Gordon, or Dorsett (at least to start the season), they have too much invested in Harry, and White is going to see a ton of targets. Given that those 4 receivers haven't really practices, that explains why Meyers has seen so much work. And the way to tell who is high on the depth chart is by how little a guy plays in the preseason games. If someone plays a lot, they are mostly just a fringe player.

So sure, if Edelman doesn't play at some point than maybe Meyers sees more snaps. I've posted in other threads that BB doesn't use rookie receivers much and generally not until later in the season.

Not sure why
#1 rule in preseason is don’t overvalue preseason too much 

Dynasty buy but he could be the next Kenbrell Thompkins. I would only throw a last round flier as a redraft. Edelman, White, and Gordon will be ahead of him in targets. Once Gordon gets suspended he will be a ww darling, though.

Not sure why
Slot has belonged to Edelman since Welker left.  No idea why that would change now.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Veteran WR Dontrelle Inman has requested his release from the Patriots, and the club has agreed to release him, per a source.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Jakobi Meyers this preseason:

Game 1 - 6 catches, 69 yards, 2 TDs

Game 2 - 6 catches, 82 yards

Game 3 - 7 catches, 74 yards

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

That's 225 receiving yards through 3 preseason games. Preseason yardage leaders over the last 5 years:

2018 - Javon Wims (227)

2017 - Dede Westbrook (288)

2016 - Robby Anderson (264)

2015 - Rashad Ross (266)

2014 - Allen Hurns (232)

As I posted in one of the other threads, I think Meyers is getting over hyped. When he played with Brady last night, he stopped running on a route, he had a drop (although it would have been a difficult catch), and he had a holding call that wiped out a big run by Michel. I wouldn't say that he looked lost with Brady, but I don't think Brady looked at him very often. Brady played 3 possessions, and IIRC Dorsett had 5 catches.

All of Meyers production in the preseason has come playing with backup QBs and mostly non starters. It's one thing to look decent against vanilla defenses and against guys that predominantly will be out of the league in two weeks. Learning the complex NE playbook against opposing starters with complex schemes is a different animal altogether. Brady even mentioned after the game that he needs to trust that his receivers will read and react to the defense and rookies and new guys take time to build a rapport. Based on last night, I don't think Meyers is in Brady's circle of trust.

My other concern for Meyers is that Edelman hasn't played. Gordon hasn't played. Thomas just got activated. Harry has barely played. Meyers should make the roster, but I am not sure how involved he will be once the other guys get up and running.

Also of note, typically in NE, the more secure a player is in his status and role, the less he plays in the preseason. Meyers has played a ton. IMO, Meyers will be an understudy to Edelman. I think Gordon will take one side and Harry or Thomas will play the other (if healthy). Dorsett and Meyers might see time in multi receiver sets or passing downs. Gordon / Harry / Thomas are all bigger receivers that can run some of the routes that Gronk ran.

We'll have to see how things play out and if the Pats receivers can get healthy and acclimated. But I wouldn't put too much stock in the inflated receiving numbers Meyers has put up so far in the preseason.

Slot has belonged to Edelman since Welker left.  No idea why that would change now.
Isn't Edelman 33 years old?  That's pretty long in the tooth and the wheel typically comes off for most receivers much earlier.  Doesn't mean this is the year for Edelman--but it certainly is one idea why he might lose the slot role this year.  

Beyond his preseason performance, one of the reasons I am buying Meyers now is because the guys in front of him are so old (Edelman and Thomas) and unreliable (Gordon) and the rest have proven to be mediocre.

Users who are viewing this thread