What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jakobi Meyers, LV (1 Viewer)

Same here.  And I did toss him back.  No room for him in my lineup anyway, but still.  :shrug:
I would have tossed him back but I had kids sports run long last night.  He looks like one of the few offensive weapons NE has left and Cam is locked in on him.  I will hold for now.  

I would have tossed him back but I had kids sports run long last night.  He looks like one of the few offensive weapons NE has left and Cam is locked in on him.  I will hold for now.  
Considering that he's all they have, you've gotta think that defenses (that aren't the Jets) will make a point to take him away going forward, no?

FBG's League Dominator app is recommending to bid 50+% of FAAB on Jakobi Meyers. Their early projection for him this week 19 pts in PPR... against the Ravens. 

Am I crazy or does this seem overblown? I'd like to stash him for some upcoming byes but it's recommending him as my best WR this week. 

Is he the real deal? League winner type guy?

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/jakobi-meyers-2019-film-review

heres some good info on him from earlier in the year.  I remember he was the talk of training camp in 2019, but didn’t get much run in the season.  The article posits that he had difficulty learning the system, and Brady doesn’t throw to receivers he doesn’t trust.

he should be the Pats number one wr for the rest of the season.  Don’t think Julian is coming back and Harry has been dreadful.  Not sure why FBG is so high on him this week as Baltimore is a tough draw.  That said, I can’t see him getting less than 8 targets this week which will at least make him a wr2.

Patriots WR Jakobi Meyers has the sixth most targets in the NFL over the past three weeks. 

After another dominant target share Monday night against the Jets, Meyers is seeing more opportunity than all but the game's top wideouts. He's tied with D.K. Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Robby Anderson, and JuJu Smith-Schuster with 28 targets over that three-weeks stretch, seeing 38 percent of New England's targets. Those who smartly picked up Meyers a few weeks ago can expect plenty of targets coming his way as long as Julian Edelman (knee) is out. N'Keal Harry's (concussion) eventual return to the Patriots lineup probably won't affect Meyers all that much. 

Nov 10, 2020, 9:40 AM ET

FBG's League Dominator app is recommending to bid 50+% of FAAB on Jakobi Meyers. Their early projection for him this week 19 pts in PPR... against the Ravens. 

Am I crazy or does this seem overblown? I'd like to stash him for some upcoming byes but it's recommending him as my best WR this week. 

Is he the real deal? League winner type guy?
You’re not crazy imo

Im not putting any FF hopes on a QB who looks like he’s throwing a bowling ball

Jakobi Meyers caught 5-of-7 targets for 59 yards in Week 10 against the Ravens.

Meyers also threw a 24-yard touchdown to Rex Burkhead on a designed receiver pass. The Patriots got N'Keal Harry back this week, but Meyers continued to lead the Patriots in receiving, though it only amounted to a handful of catches. Meyers has at least five receptions and 60 yards in three straight games. He's a WR3 for a Week 11 against the Texans.

Nov 16, 2020, 12:13 AM ET

I started him in one redraft league to cover Ridley and Crowder's byes.  Definitely didn't see a passing TD on the way, but the targets are hard to ignore.  Chalk up the low receiving production to the weather last night?  Holding for the foreseeable future...

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked the part last year, even with King Thomas VI's known disdain for rookies and WR that aren't perfect.  I was lamenting not being able to stash him anywhere but got lucky in a couple leagues when guys dropped him early.  He's not going to be a WR1 but he's exactly the kind of guy a rebuilder will give you Julio on a 1 year deal for and that's valuable enough for me.

He looked the part last year, even with King Thomas VI's known disdain for rookies and WR that aren't perfect.  I was lamenting not being able to stash him anywhere but got lucky in a couple leagues when guys dropped him early.  He's not going to be a WR1 but he's exactly the kind of guy a rebuilder will give you Julio on a 1 year deal for and that's valuable enough for me.
Can you lay out specifically what sort of deal this would be? I'm not sure I catch your drift...

FBG's again very high on him this week. if edelman is active i can't start meyers though.... not until i see first what type of role meyers retains.

Trying to open a roster spot and the guys on the cusp include Meyers, Pittman, Mixon, Bernard, Newton.

I got AJ Brown and McLaurin as normal starters so does anyone think Meyers is going to be more valuable down the stretch?  Non-ppr. 

Course since I got 3 QBs  now more likely I dump one of them.

Jakobi Meyers caught 5-of-6 targets for 52 yards in the Patriots' Week 12 win over the Cardinals. 

It was a modest PPR rebound for Meyers after last week's 3/38 disappearance. Meyers led the Pats in receiving on an afternoon where Cam Newton could not get anything going either down the field or over the middle. Despite Meyers' 12/169 outburst four weeks ago, he's done little to suggest he will rise above low-end WR3 status in PPR leagues. The Pats do get the Chargers' struggling pass defense for Week 13.  

- Rotoworld

The Boston Herald's Andrew Callahan said "don’t be surprised if Jakobi Meyers looks like" the Patriots' No. 1 receiver during the team's minicamp.

Callahan added that Meyers has "enjoyed a strong spring" in New England practices a year after leading the team in targets, receptions, and receiving yards. With Julian Edelman retired and no other wideout posing a major threat to Meyers' WR1 status, he should be considered a strong favorite to once again lead the Pats' receiver group. How much that matters for fantasy is up for debate. Last season, the Patriots' wideouts had the fifth fewest receptions of any wideout group in the league, and only Ravens receivers managed fewer yards than New England wideouts. The best-case scenario for Meyers would be rookie QB Mac Jones taking over for Cam Newton early in the season and the Pats reverting to a more balanced offense. Meyers is a savvy late-round pick in best ball leagues right now.

SOURCE: BostonHerald.com 

Jun 14, 2021, 8:53 AM ET

Through 5 OTA / minicamp practices, Meyers is said to be a target magnet. He apparently had consistently found seams and pockets in short to intermediate rounds and has caught just about everything. Apparently that’s been true no matter who has been throwing the football. 

I can’t tell what to make of that, as NE will be running the ball a ton and using their dual TEs most of the time. One would think that 2 tight ends and an underneath WR would put too many bodies in the same place. But for now Meyers looks like the most capable and most looked for receiving option so far. That makes sense given that there are a lot of new faces. 

If Jones starts, whole different story with the Patriots' outlook, but you all have been over that before.

Meyers looks to be the odd man out as they'll be playing 12 personnel all the time. He might beat out Bourne, though. I never saw what was special about Bourne. Agholor I can see him losing a starting position to, but he's got a better speed score, forty time, burst score, etc. Meyers is not losing the job to Bourne because of athleticism, that's for sure.

Still don't get the Bourne signing for NE. I get the Agholor, Henry, and Smith signings (though I think they way overpaid for Agholor), but not the Bourne one. They've already got a Bourne in Meyers. Depth, maybe?

Through 5 OTA / minicamp practices, Meyers is said to be a target magnet. He apparently had consistently found seams and pockets in short to intermediate rounds and has caught just about everything. Apparently that’s been true no matter who has been throwing the football. 

I can’t tell what to make of that, as NE will be running the ball a ton and using their dual TEs most of the time. One would think that 2 tight ends and an underneath WR would put too many bodies in the same place. But for now Meyers looks like the most capable and most looked for receiving option so far. That makes sense given that there are a lot of new faces. 
That is a logical. With motion and so on though this can actually put the defense in a bind. There are plenty of ways to make it work. Welker still had 173 targets in 2011 when the Patriots had Gronk and Hernandez both with over 100 targets as well. Likely peak NE TE targets that year right? Their 4th most targeted player that year was Branch, another WR known more as a slot type WR. Just saying this team has done exactly that before.

Myers looked good to me when I saw him last season. He was always finding the right spot in the zone and defenses play more zone vs the Pats because of Cam.

I think he can work well depending on the construction of your team. I do think his ceiling is likely limited but if you've taken some risk earlier with high ceiling/low floor plays (De'Vonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Michael Pittman, et al), he's a nice late option who should have a solid floor.  However, if you've gone the safer route and need upside in the later rounds, I'd likely be looking elsewhere.

I think he can work well depending on the construction of your team. I do think his ceiling is likely limited but if you've taken some risk earlier with high ceiling/low floor plays (De'Vonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Michael Pittman, et al), he's a nice late option who should have a solid floor.  However, if you've gone the safer route and need upside in the later rounds, I'd likely be looking elsewhere.
Dude had a Historic 2020 season. Most targets and most receptions with zero TDs ever. Historic start to his career; most targets & most catches without having scored ever.

(Heard that, didn’t research it. Might be wrong. One thing I’ve noticed lately is there are so many analysts, so many podcasts, so many Youtubers - misinformation is super common. Question anything you hear, don’t take anything for granted. Double check anything you hear or read,  experts publish mistakes all the time.)

Anyway...

In redraft PPR, I want no part of this Offense.

NBC Sports Boston's Tom Curran would "put (his) cash" on Jakobi Meyers being "the most reliable and productive Patriots wideout in 2021."

A longtime, keen observer of the Pats, Curran joins with the Boston Herald's Andrew Callahan in predicting Meyers might not fall off as much as people think following the Pats' offseason spending spree at receiver and tight end. Essentially the only game in town for the Pats' disastrously-undermanned 2020 receiver corps, Meyers caught 59 balls for 729 yards. Amazingly, he is still looking for his first career score through 85 catches, but the end zone was not a common occurrence for last year's Cam Newton-led attack. Meyers has more or less been ADP-less so far this spring/summer, typically checking in around the WR80-90 range. He's a zero-risk flier. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports Boston 

Jul 8, 2021, 5:20 PM ET

Meyers has more or less been ADP-less so far this spring/summer, typically checking in around the WR80-90 range. He's a zero-risk flier. 
I'm saying it now, Meyers top twenty in ppr if Mac Jones plays the most games.

I am torn on Meyers this year. In 2020, he essentially had two big games when Edelman was already gone and the Pats TEs had a combined 2 yards receiving. They added 2 premium TEs and 2 middle of the road WR (sadly still way better than the other options they had last year). There’s a big difference being the #1 option and potentially #5 option. Harry does not even merit discussion as he will either be gone or a non-factor again. 

However, the word out of OTAs was Jacobi was the king of check downs and short crossing routes for BOTH Cam and Mac. They tried to emphasize pushing the ball further down the field and then settle for something underneath if nothing was available. Meyers seemed to ALWAYS be the guy for dump offs and found the open spot to beat single coverage. 

I have no idea if that shows much of anything, as that could just be the coverage they kept calling (and opponents will likely use different looks). But in OTAs Meyers was having drives with 4 catches for 30 yards or 5 catches for 40 yards. Again, I don’t know what that tells us or who else was on the field with him, but he was getting a lot of short looks. 

I am torn on Meyers this year. In 2020, he essentially had two big games when Edelman was already gone and the Pats TEs had a combined 2 yards receiving. They added 2 premium TEs and 2 middle of the road WR (sadly still way better than the other options they had last year). There’s a big difference being the #1 option and potentially #5 option. Harry does not even merit discussion as he will either be gone or a non-factor again. 

However, the word out of OTAs was Jacobi was the king of check downs and short crossing routes for BOTH Cam and Mac. They tried to emphasize pushing the ball further down the field and then settle for something underneath if nothing was available. Meyers seemed to ALWAYS be the guy for dump offs and found the open spot to beat single coverage. 

I have no idea if that shows much of anything, as that could just be the coverage they kept calling (and opponents will likely use different looks). But in OTAs Meyers was having drives with 4 catches for 30 yards or 5 catches for 40 yards. Again, I don’t know what that tells us or who else was on the field with him, but he was getting a lot of short looks. 
Have to think his ADP rises but right now he seems absurdly cheap for someone who has a chance to give you 75/950 with a small handful of td's (I'm thinking 3-5). As I said earlier, I think the ceiling is capped but the floor is very solid.

Have to think his ADP rises but right now he seems absurdly cheap for someone who has a chance to give you 75/950 with a small handful of td's (I'm thinking 3-5). As I said earlier, I think the ceiling is capped but the floor is very solid.
You and I have scored as many TD in the NFL as Meyers have. The drought will end eventually, but so far he hasn’t remotely been a scoring threat. 

Meyers sort of gives me the Reche Caldwell vibe from 2006. Caldwell posted eerily similar numbers to Meyers with no other receiving threats to speak of. And we all know what happened in 2007 with a ton of new receiving threats. 

Clearly the Pats haven’t upgraded their receiving options like they did in 2007. But part of me still feels like Meyers was the one bright spot on an abysmal offense. He may have been nothing special last year and a JAG. 

I also wouldn’t totally rule out NE trading for another WR. They still have cap space to make a splash and have been known to make moves with no warning. 

You and I have scored as many TD in the NFL as Meyers have. The drought will end eventually, but so far he hasn’t remotely been a scoring threat. 

Meyers sort of gives me the Reche Caldwell vibe from 2006. Caldwell posted eerily similar numbers to Meyers with no other receiving threats to speak of. And we all know what happened in 2007 with a ton of new receiving threats. 

Clearly the Pats haven’t upgraded their receiving options like they did in 2007. But part of me still feels like Meyers was the one bright spot on an abysmal offense. He may have been nothing special last year and a JAG. 

I also wouldn’t totally rule out NE trading for another WR. They still have cap space to make a splash and have been known to make moves with no warning. 
Yeah, I was aware of the low (non-existent) TD total.  Interesting comp on Caldwell (RIP).  You've forgotten more about the Patriots than I know so take my speculation with a grain of salt but it seems to me that Agholor will be used as a deep threat.  Bourne is a very good blocker and I think his targets will be limited.  He's yet to see more than 50 targets in a season in 4 seasons.  It feels like Meyers could be the favorite on the short and underneath routes.  I don't think Henry and Smith would interfere too much with that.  Obviously, a trade could reset everything, however.

Something about this thread being bumped repeatedly lets me know how slow the news is in the NFL. Woof. I can't see going out and signing four pass catchers as anything but a reduced role for the young man, who by all accounts is a heck of worker and has displayed talents and game knowledge unusual for a UDFA. I guess if a cerebral player is ever going to make it that way, it's in NE, but I'm not sold on him for fantasy purposes next year.

I think I've gotta hold him in the one dynasty league I have, if you all must know, but he's like WR9 and I don't have that great of a receiving corps. Ugh. Just a roster spot sort of going to waste right now. That's how I view him right now. Rooting for him and not averse to being wrong in the end about this, but it doesn't look like the future includes Meyers in most cases for NE. I hope to heck I'm wrong.

Anarchy99 said:

Isnt that similar to how they have used Edelman and Welker in the past?

Isnt that similar to how they have used Edelman and Welker in the past?
Maybe, maybe not. The way things were described in OTAs and training camp, they were trying to emphasize intermediate to deep routes and trying to   throw the ball further downfield than we are accustomed to. 

Meyers was used in shallow crosses, drag routes, and as a safety valve this spring. IMO, the way they used Welker and Edelman was different in that plays were designed for them that were underneath routes but they were the first option. 

The way reporters described it, Meyers was the last resort when everything downfield was covered or risky. As I mentioned earlier, who knows what that means, as I don’t know who else was on the field with him, if it was the starting defense, if they kept the same coverage over and over again, etc. If the other receiving options on a play were Gunner, Zuber, and Asiasi, that doesn’t really tell us a whole lot. 

Something about this thread being bumped repeatedly lets me know how slow the news is in the NFL. Woof. I can't see going out and signing four pass catchers as anything but a reduced role for the young man, who by all accounts is a heck of worker and has displayed talents and game knowledge unusual for a UDFA. I guess if a cerebral player is ever going to make it that way, it's in NE, but I'm not sold on him for fantasy purposes next year.

I think I've gotta hold him in the one dynasty league I have, if you all must know, but he's like WR9 and I don't have that great of a receiving corps. Ugh. Just a roster spot sort of going to waste right now. That's how I view him right now. Rooting for him and not averse to being wrong in the end about this, but it doesn't look like the future includes Meyers in most cases for NE. I hope to heck I'm wrong.
At his ADP, I think I am buying.  

He scored all of his points last year after week 6, aside from 1 catch for 7 yards.  From week 7 to end of season, he was WR23 in my PPR league--without scoring a TD.  He was, really, a pretty fantastic flex after week 6 last year.  

6'2", 200 lbs, big jump in 2nd year, good good.  

Agholor, Bourne, Henry, Jonnu.  History of free agency tells us that at least 2 of these 4 signings will flop. I'm not not down on any of them individually, but collectively, I am pretty comfortable that 2 of the 4 will be fantasy irrelevant.  

Back to his ADP. Picking up WR70-something, and getting a guy who was a WR2 down the stretch, and has a legit claim to lead the team in targets, seems like a pretty good deal.  Not a league-winner probably, but I like his odds to significantly outperform that ADP.  

At his ADP, I think I am buying.  

He scored all of his points last year after week 6, aside from 1 catch for 7 yards.  From week 7 to end of season, he was WR23 in my PPR league--without scoring a TD.  He was, really, a pretty fantastic flex after week 6 last year.  

6'2", 200 lbs, big jump in 2nd year, good good.  

Agholor, Bourne, Henry, Jonnu.  History of free agency tells us that at least 2 of these 4 signings will flop. I'm not not down on any of them individually, but collectively, I am pretty comfortable that 2 of the 4 will be fantasy irrelevant.  

Back to his ADP. Picking up WR70-something, and getting a guy who was a WR2 down the stretch, and has a legit claim to lead the team in targets, seems like a pretty good deal.  Not a league-winner probably, but I like his odds to significantly outperform that ADP.  
Yes, Meyers did rank as WR22 or 23 from Weeks 7-17. But he had already had a bye when other receivers had not. He ranked WR32 in PPG in PPR scoring leagues over that stretch.

However, when you see how everyone else did over that same 10 game stretch (Weeks 7-17), you can see why Meyers did so well. Here all the receiving totals for every player that caught at least 1 pass during the season:

Meyers 58 722 0
Byrd 29 371 1
White 30 239 1
Harry 14 137 1
Izzo 6 109 0
Michel 5 91 1
Burkhead 10 56 2
Olszewski 4 51 1
Asiasi 2 39 1
Johnson 5 27 0
Harris 3 26 0
Newton 1 19 1
Zuber 1 13 0
Keene 2 8 0
Moncrief 1 4 0
Edelman 0 0 0
Taylor 0 0 0
171 1912 9

There was practically no one else capable of catching the football. At a minimum, they added Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith (and they could still bring in someone else between now and the start of the season or even in-season). Those 4 players combined for 198-2624-22 last season. I get it, that doesn't necessarily translate to how they will perform in NE. But on the list I just referenced above, the NE TEs combined over those 10 games only produced 10-156-1. And all the WRs other than Meyers in those 10 games generated only 49-576-3. Put another way, all the other WR and TE combined had 732 receiving yards to 722 for Meyers. I don't see any way Meyers keeps almost a 50% share of the yardage allocated to WR and TE.

I like Meyers but he has classic roster clog written all over him. Too good to drop, too unreliable to start, and not valuable enough to trade. 

That being said, I'll inevitably ignore my own logic and snag him in the last two rounds/for a dollar if he's available... and then inevitably drop him week 3... and pick him up again week 5... etc etc

Yes, Meyers did rank as WR22 or 23 from Weeks 7-17. But he had already had a bye when other receivers had not. He ranked WR32 in PPG in PPR scoring leagues over that stretch.

However, when you see how everyone else did over that same 10 game stretch (Weeks 7-17), you can see why Meyers did so well. Here all the receiving totals for every player that caught at least 1 pass during the season:

Meyers 58 722 0
Byrd 29 371 1
White 30 239 1
Harry 14 137 1
Izzo 6 109 0
Michel 5 91 1
Burkhead 10 56 2
Olszewski 4 51 1
Asiasi 2 39 1
Johnson 5 27 0
Harris 3 26 0
Newton 1 19 1
Zuber 1 13 0
Keene 2 8 0
Moncrief 1 4 0
Edelman 0 0 0
Taylor 0 0 0
171 1912 9

There was practically no one else capable of catching the football. At a minimum, they added Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith (and they could still bring in someone else between now and the start of the season or even in-season). Those 4 players combined for 198-2624-22 last season. I get it, that doesn't necessarily translate to how they will perform in NE. But on the list I just referenced above, the NE TEs combined over those 10 games only produced 10-156-1. And all the WRs other than Meyers in those 10 games generated only 49-576-3. Put another way, all the other WR and TE combined had 732 receiving yards to 722 for Meyers. I don't see any way Meyers keeps almost a 50% share of the yardage allocated to WR and TE.
I think he might score some TDs, thus relaxing the importance of maintaining a 50% target share. 

I think the team may also throw for more yards. 

I think when I look at the WR they had last year, and they only brought in Bourne and Agholor; that seems like good news for Meyers. They brought in two good TE, but it's a decent bet that Meyers leads the WRs, and maybe the team, in targets. Not a lock, but a decent bet. 

At WR75, that's a buy. 

Users who are viewing this thread