What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Hunter Renfrow (2 Viewers)

Raiders OC Greg Olson is "really excited" about fifth-round WR Hunter Renfrow.

Renfrow is more experienced and older than just about any rookie in the NFL, so it's not overly surprising to see him showing well in camp. But Renfrow's overall ceiling is low, even in dynasty leagues, since he's a below-average athlete on a below-average offense. Most of Renfrow's fantasy value will come in preseason DFS where he should get extended looks in the slot.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Jul 28, 2019, 3:03 PM ET

The Athletic's Vic Tafur reports fifth-rounder Hunter Renfrow has "dusted" Ryan Grant in the slot receiver battle in training camp.

This was the expectation all along. Renfrow has big fans in coach Jon Gruden and OC Greg Olson. Set to turn 24 this year, Renfrow is on the older side for a rookie. He's also neither big nor fast with subpar measurables, but Renfrow wins with strong hands and a willingness to do the dirty work. Tafur expects Antonio Brown to play in the slot quite a bit, with Tyrell Williams and J.J. Nelson on the outside, so there likely won't be enough to make Renfrow fantasy-viable. Meanwhile, Grant is dangerously close to falling out of the league altogether.

RELATED: 

Ryan Grant

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 1, 2019, 12:42 PM ET

The San Jose Mercury-News confirms fifth-round Raiders WR Hunter Renfrow has a "legitimate shot" at No. 3 duties.

Jerry McDonald's report comes the same day The Athletic's Vic Tafur said that Renfrow has "dusted" Ryan Grant thus far in camp. We already knew coach Jon Gruden was going to give the benefit of the doubt to his elderly rookie, and the Clemson product appears to be justifying it. The best Renfrow could hope for behind target hog Antonio Brown and deep threat Tyrell Williams is deeper PPR league value.

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News

Aug 1, 2019, 7:03 PM ET

Great job as always, Faust!

Seen nothing but great things about Renfrew out of camp, and excited to see what he can do.

From a "this-year" perspective hard to think he'll be worth tons of value as it seems there are a lot of nads to feed - AB, Tyrell Williams, pass catching backs Jacobs, Richard, etc. And I think with a solid line, we'll see tons of dynamic offensive looks spreading the ball around to take advantage of Carr's arm and accuracy.

To me, the biggest difference this year for Renfrew is how Darren Waller at TE fares -- lots of hype around Waller too but he's dinged and I've never been a big believer, but can see that Renfrew's targets are shared more across those that go to the TE than those to AB/Williams.

If Waller fails to launch as the team's TE1, could mean even bigger thing for Renfew out of the slot.

Ya STC, I'm guessing that Renfow picks up some of Cook's targets from last year. More than Waller does. At least whatever is left after AB gets his share. I'm sure he'll be a nice chain mover for us though.

Jim Nagy‏Verified account @JimNagy_SB

Smart fantasy owners are adding Hunter Renfrow right now. He could catch 90-100 balls from the slot with AB gone. No joke.

7:12 AM - 7 Sep 2019

Antonio Brown released: Breaking down the Raiders' young receivers and 2019 options at the position

Excerpt:

Hunter Renfrow  

Renfrow came in at No. 231 on my final Big Board for the 2019 NFL Draft. While he had all the makings of being a legendary "trust the tape" prospect, I just felt he was simply too small (5-10 and 184 pounds) with athleticism that wasn't of NFL caliber, as none of his explosiveness drills (40, vertical, and broad) eclipsed the 45th percentile at the receiver position. 

His three-cone time placed in the 75th percentile though and showed up on the field in his illustrious career at Clemson. Renfrow was always open and caught everything. Per Pro Football Focus, Renfrow only had one drop on 50 catchable passes in the Tigers' national-title winning season last year. Despite his limited physical attributes, there was aspect of Renfrow's draft profile that was intriguing: his productive at a young age in college. He spent most of his freshman season with the Tigers as a 19-year-old and contributed immediately with 33 catches for 492 yards (14.9 yards per grab) and five touchdowns. Most successful NFL receivers were able to make an impact early in their collegiate careers, not simply when they had an age advantage over most of their competition as seniors. 

While Renfrow would't average over 12 yards per catch in any of his next three seasons, he was the staple of consistency for the Tigers through the Deshaun Watson, Kelly Bryant, and Trevor Lawrence eras. In those campaigns, he averaged 51 receptions and 547 yards per year.  

And the sureness of his hands is absolutely amazing because he had the smallest hands among receivers in at least the last 20 years at the combine at 7 7/8 inches. Beyond his catching specialty and subtle ability to create separation, Renfrow's best attribute comes immediately after the catch. He's uncanny making the first guy miss. While he won't away from NFL defensive backs, Renfrow will turn three-yard passes into seven-yard gains on a relatively consistent basis.  

He's a perfect fit in Jon Gruden's West Coast offense, which is likely part of the reason Oakland used a fifth-round pick on him. Don't be surprised if he becomes a favorite target of Derek Carr thanks to his sharp, differing-speeds route running skills and sticky hands. 

Not to go OT, but the Raiders official depth chart lists J.J. Nelson as the WR1 playing the X.
Renfrow is a pure slot receiver so this is expected. With Tyrell Williams being more of a vertical threat, I can see why people are giving Renfrow a big bump with AB gone. He was already generating some buzz in camp before AB’s meltdown. 

:blackdot:

Picked him up for a stash at the end of my bench. Plenty of potential targets opened up. Who knows. Loved what I saw from him at Clemson. Looks like a gamer. 

If Diggs is out today I may just have to start Renfrow in PPR....and I'm ok with that this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter Renfrow caught 2-of-3 targets for 13 yards in Week 1 against the Broncos.

Ryan Grant played ahead of Renfrow and had more targets, but Renfrow is the hotter name after Antonio Brown’s release. Renfrow got some slot snaps, though he wasn’t much of a factor. His role should grow as the season moves along. Renfrow doesn’t have standalone value right now but his dynasty arrow is pointing up.

Sep 10, 2019, 1:31 AM ET

Decent game last week.  Thoughts going forward?
I think he has upside. However, he needs a real NFL off-season to work on reshaping himself and also he probably needs a nutritionist. I am being serious. He has great hands and knack for getting open and finding the soft spots in zones etc. But he needs to win the physical battles off the line too and he is simply over matched physically right now. If he dedicates himself to reshaping himself (become rock solid as he is a country bumpkin and honestly has a soft body) he can be an outstanding slot WR long term. 

I think he has upside. However, he needs a real NFL off-season to work on reshaping himself and also he probably needs a nutritionist. I am being serious. He has great hands and knack for getting open and finding the soft spots in zones etc. But he needs to win the physical battles off the line too and he is simply over matched physically right now. If he dedicates himself to reshaping himself (become rock solid as he is a country bumpkin and honestly has a soft body) he can be an outstanding slot WR long term. 
Colleges have solid training problems.   Odd that he is soft and not in great shape already.  

Hunter Renfrow caught 6-of-7 targets for 54 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' Week 9 win over the Chargers.

Renfrow led the Raiders in targets and receptions by three in a game where Darren Waller (2 targets) and Tyrell Williams (4) were quiet. The old rookie receiver was a check-down option for Carr and finished off his best all-around game of the season with a nine-yard touchdown on a scramble play in the corner of the end zone. After back-to-back solid games, Renfrow is on the streaming radar with many teams on bye next week, but he's still a sketchy fantasy start. The Raiders host the Bolts in a rivalry game on Thursday night.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:35 PM ET

Hunter Renfrow caught 4-of-5 targets for 42 yards in the Raiders' Week 10 win over the Chargers.

Renfrow has now caught at least four balls in three straight games, though his yards were a three-week low. The fifth-round rookie simply has zero upside in the Raiders' run-first offense, even if he's begun to provide a PPR floor. That being said, the Bengals are a top one percentile matchup for Week 11.

Nov 8, 2019, 12:25 AM ET

Hunter Renfrow caught 5-of-6 targets for 66 yards in Oakland's Week 11 win over the Bengals.

Initially injected into Oakland's offense as the team's primary slot wideout in Week 8, the fifth-round rookie's led the Raiders in targets (21), catches (18), and receiving yards (245) in that four-game span. His ceiling leaves a lot to be desired, but Renfrow can suddenly be depended on as a high-floor safety valve for fantasy players struggling with bye weeks at his position in Week 12. He'll be ranked as a WR4/5 against the Jets.

Nov 17, 2019, 9:52 PM ET

I really like this kid. 2020 can be a potential huge break out year. Like I said.....I think he will have a ridiculous off-season and come in to camp with a new body. He can take off as a PPR stud in 2020.

I think I’m finally trotting him out at my WR3 over Tate with Sheppard back. This is a great matchup for Renfrow, Jets secondary is bad. 

I think I’m finally trotting him out at my WR3 over Tate with Sheppard back. This is a great matchup for Renfrow, Jets secondary is bad. 
I already played TY over him (ungh) unless I put him in over Washington or Mclaurin.  Since I need ceiling over floor at this point he'll probably stay on the bench.

He's really developing nicely and seems to have surer hands as the season has progressed. 

He already had a good field sense that helps him "sit" in the right pocket of the field on slants.

He can improve with more physicality -- in contesting balls and getting separation off the line, or fighting through traffic or not slowing when rubbing past slot corners to get open in the flat or down the sidelines.

Play calling is helping Renfrow, too -- I've noticed that the Raiders have been running a lot of trips formations with double-slants, which helps open up space for either receiver. Renfrow's big TD against HOU was off of one such play where he got the ball in just the right opening to split a CB and safety, and was off to the races.

He's also getting his number called more on 3rd downs with shorter/middle distances, showing that Carr is gaining confidence in him. This was evident in the Lion's game where Carr checked to him on a drag route in the end zone off a PA fake -- it was a tight window throw with a defender on him that Renfrow had more trouble reeling in earlier this season, but instead made a clutch catch. It was a good adjustment by Renfrow as he could have kept dragging to the sideline to retain space resulting in a shorter yardage catch, but he slightly adjusted his route upfield -- and closer to the defender -- that resulted in more yards and put them inside the 5.

In the same game, looking to break a 4th Q tie, Renfrow showed great chemistry with Carr on a play inside the Lion's 15. All the receivers were bottled up given the short field, but Renfrow fought his way through traffic and tracked with Carr from right to left as he scrambled from the pocket, staying with him, getting separation, and catching the ball with under 2 feet to spare in the end zone, ensuring his feet got down and inside the paint.

He is far from being a Welker/Edelman/Troy Brown. And he's not a dependable fantasy player yet.

But I love the development and improvement I see every game, and it's clear that target and reception distribution is evening out in his favor as the season has worn on.

He's also getting his number called more on 3rd downs with shorter/middle distances, showing that Carr is gaining confidence in him.
As a Renfrow owner, I love this.  As a Waller owner, I hate this.  Renfrow is a slow slot receiver.  He is running the similar routes that a tight end runs.  Over the first 7 weeks of the season, Renfrow averaged 4.25 fantasy points and Waller averaged 17.53 fantasy points.  Over the last 4 weeks, Renfrow averaged 14.00 fantasy points and Waller averaged 9.03 points.

As a Renfrow owner, I love this.  As a Waller owner, I hate this.  Renfrow is a slow slot receiver.  He is running the similar routes that a tight end runs.  Over the first 7 weeks of the season, Renfrow averaged 4.25 fantasy points and Waller averaged 17.53 fantasy points.  Over the last 4 weeks, Renfrow averaged 14.00 fantasy points and Waller averaged 9.03 points.
Yep, both the emergence of Renfrow and Williams to a degree have shifted targets and Waller's fantasy effectiveness.

One of those things that's fantastic for the real team, but cruddy for fake teams.

Upcoming sched

Week 12 - Nov 24 @NYJ Sun 1:00 pm

Week 13 - Dec 1 @KC Sun 4:25 pm

Week 14 - Dec 8 Ten Sun 4:25 pm

Week 15 - Dec 15 Jax Sun 4:05 pm

Week 16 - Dec 22 @LAC Sun 4:05 pm

Even on a run-first offense the Raiders aren't afraid to pass a ton (unlike the Titans). The matchups aren't really scary and Renfrow will probably only see nickel/slot CBs (should avoid Bouye/Hayward/Adoree Jackson). He's one of Carr's favorite targets already , and if you need a Flex WR play his floor seems safe at 5-6 FP in Standard.

He's really developing nicely and seems to have surer hands as the season has progressed. 

He already had a good field sense that helps him "sit" in the right pocket of the field on slants.

He can improve with more physicality -- in contesting balls and getting separation off the line, or fighting through traffic or not slowing when rubbing past slot corners to get open in the flat or down the sidelines.

Play calling is helping Renfrow, too -- I've noticed that the Raiders have been running a lot of trips formations with double-slants, which helps open up space for either receiver. Renfrow's big TD against HOU was off of one such play where he got the ball in just the right opening to split a CB and safety, and was off to the races.

He's also getting his number called more on 3rd downs with shorter/middle distances, showing that Carr is gaining confidence in him. This was evident in the Lion's game where Carr checked to him on a drag route in the end zone off a PA fake -- it was a tight window throw with a defender on him that Renfrow had more trouble reeling in earlier this season, but instead made a clutch catch. It was a good adjustment by Renfrow as he could have kept dragging to the sideline to retain space resulting in a shorter yardage catch, but he slightly adjusted his route upfield -- and closer to the defender -- that resulted in more yards and put them inside the 5.

In the same game, looking to break a 4th Q tie, Renfrow showed great chemistry with Carr on a play inside the Lion's 15. All the receivers were bottled up given the short field, but Renfrow fought his way through traffic and tracked with Carr from right to left as he scrambled from the pocket, staying with him, getting separation, and catching the ball with under 2 feet to spare in the end zone, ensuring his feet got down and inside the paint.

He is far from being a Welker/Edelman/Troy Brown. And he's not a dependable fantasy player yet.

But I love the development and improvement I see every game, and it's clear that target and reception distribution is evening out in his favor as the season has worn on.
And this is exactly what I have observed and why he needs to reshape himself in the off-season. And I think he will. And I expect bigger and better things in 2020 and beyond. He just has a great feel for the soft spots in the defense and has outstanding hands. 

Bright future.

Hunter Renfrow (rib) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

Renfrow is best viewed as week to week. The slot receiver not only broke a rib but also punctured his lung just over a week ago. Tyrell Williams, Darren Waller, and Josh Jacobs will continue handling the load for Oakland.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 6:20 PM ET

Hunter Renfrow (ribs) returned to Raiders practice on Thursday.

It gives Renfrow a shot at suiting up for the first time since Week 12. Renfrow's primary fantasy impact comes in the targets he steals from Darren Waller.

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 2:26 PM ET

Raiders WR Hunter Renfrow (ribs) is expected to suit up for the team's Week 16 matchup against the Chargers.

Renfrow has missed the last three games with a broken rib and punctured lung. His return will likely lead to three-WR sets featuring himself, Tyrell Williams and Zay Jones. Still, Darren Waller is the only consistent fantasy option in this offense at the moment. Treat both Williams and Renfrow as nothing more than boom-or-bust WR3 options at best in this below-average matchup.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Dec 16, 2019, 4:27 PM ET

Raiders WR Hunter Renfrow (ribs) was limited in practice Wednesday.

It confirms the early-week report that Renfrow is expected to play Week 16 against the Chargers. Before his injury, Renfrow was catching 2-6 passes per game as a low-ceiling WR4/5. With a "road" matchup versus an above-average defense, Renfrow is best left out of fantasy starting lineups. Renfrow's return does bring down Darren Waller's projection a little bit.

SOURCE: Raiders.com

Dec 18, 2019, 6:19 PM ET

Hunter Renfrow (ribs) said he is "fully ready" for Week 16 against the Chargers.

Renfrow resumed practicing on a limited basis Wednesday with an eye toward returning Sunday in Los Angeles. He'll immediately take on slot receiving duties for the Raiders, who have followed up a three-game winning streak by dropping four straight. Thousand-yard tight end Darren Waller could see a reduced target share with Renfrow returning from a three-week hiatus.

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 4:58 PM ET

Hunter Renfrow caught 7-of-9 targets for 107 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' Week 16 win over the Chargers.

It was the rookie slot man's first game back after missing three with broken ribs. Renfrow took a short toss from Derek Carr 56 yards to the house in the first quarter and led the team in targets. It was Renfrow's first career 100-yard game. He has all three of his touchdowns over his last six games and will head into Week 17 against the Broncos as a WR3/4 with a boost in PPR formats.

If Carr remains the starter in 2020 for the Raiders, Renfrow will continue to hold value.   He is a really good true slot WR.   The level of value depends on the WR drafted to act as the WR1.   

He will be dropped in my keeper (7) league and he's high on my draft target list. I'll be disappointed if I'm unable to land him.

Users who are viewing this thread