What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
He had a good TC and a pretty flawless first game out in the preseason.

better than his first preseason numbers indicate

Hes practically free

Yes, he has Tom Brady ahead of him, who just signed a contract extension, but the wheels have the fall off at some point. However, he appears to at least have a 2 year wait for now, unless injury or complete disaster. There are worse backups being rostered in some dynasty leagues IMO.

I'm all in on this guy. I recall him this point last year being a 1st rd pick in many early mock drafts. He just has to unlearn his last year, which it sounds like hes already doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have exceptionally large rosters (or play SF or 2QB) I can’t justify carrying a backup QB for multiple seasons and wasting a roster spot. There is no guarantee that even if Brady retires sooner than expected Stidham is the plan.

Saw a good breakdown of a play he made on yesterday’s InstaStory (sorry no linky, it’s expired.)

Recognizing they’re in zone, changes the play (you can see the slot WR relaying the call to the Y), man in motion to confirm, Z receiver runs a cross but Stidham has to wait a second longer for the TE who chipped to clear the safety, DT gets loose and he’s coming hard, rookie delivers a strike just before he gets nailed.

Big league play.

Saw a good breakdown of a play he made on yesterday’s InstaStory (sorry no linky, it’s expired.)

Recognizing they’re in zone, changes the play (you can see the slot WR relaying the call to the Y), man in motion to confirm, Z receiver runs a cross but Stidham has to wait a second longer for the TE who chipped to clear the safety, DT gets loose and he’s coming hard, rookie delivers a strike just before he gets nailed.

Big league play.
Yes I may have been looking at the same thing. He seems above what a typical rookie usually is. I think much of that credit goes toward the NE QB program.

Hes severely underrated. I'd take Stidham over almost every QB except Murray in this class. Not that I'd draft him over them but I'd let other clamor over Haskins while I wait for Stidham. 

Sure, Brady is there but put me in the camp where I think the wheels fall off and the game tells Brady when to retire, vs the opposite. 

Dr. Dan said:
Yes I may have been looking at the same thing. He seems above what a typical rookie usually is. I think much of that credit goes toward the NE QB program.

Hes severely underrated. I'd take Stidham over almost every QB except Murray in this class. Not that I'd draft him over them but I'd let other clamor over Haskins while I wait for Stidham. 

Sure, Brady is there but put me in the camp where I think the wheels fall off and the game tells Brady when to retire, vs the opposite. 
Seems to be no evidence really that would lead someone to conclude the 'wheels will fall off'.  Other Qb's have played into their forties, Testeverde, Favre, Steve Deberg I believe even though not a superstar.

Seems to be no evidence really that would lead someone to conclude the 'wheels will fall off'.  Other Qb's have played into their forties, Testeverde, Favre, Steve Deberg I believe even though not a superstar.
nope, no indication at all. I'm just planting my flag is all

you bring up some great examples of players who out of nowhere the wheels fell off. 

IMO it happened to Brees last year at the end of the season and u woudlnt be surprised if it continues this year. 

Father Time always wins and I just think it's almost bradys time 

nope, no indication at all. I'm just planting my flag is all

you bring up some great examples of players who out of nowhere the wheels fell off. 

IMO it happened to Brees last year at the end of the season and u woudlnt be surprised if it continues this year. 

Father Time always wins and I just think it's almost bradys time 
He’s 42 so not really going out on a limb I guess. Don’t really see wheels coming off this year but we’ll see

He’s 42 so not really going out on a limb I guess. Don’t really see wheels coming off this year but we’ll see
I've been wrong every year so far so you're probably right. 

However, GB drafted Rodgers and sat him for 3 seasons, so it's not like it's never been done before. I dont see Brady starting at 44 or 45. I can wait 1-2 years 

I can definitely see Stidham becoming a longtime starting QB. He's got more raw talent than his college numbers suggested. Usually, it's the other way around. The incorrect vetting of production is one of the main reasons why NFL teams (& FFers) miss on players.

No telling how long Brady will play, but stashing Stidham makes sense depending on your roster, rules, etc.

As someone who watched every game of his for the last two years (we’re an Auburn family)...his downfall was pocket skittishness.  Eyes always dropped.

I’ve always thought that was a tough weakness to overcome.  Not saying that he won’t be able to, but there was a reason a guy with his physical skills dropped.  Because he has the skills in spades.  Not surprised he’s ripping it up in camp either.  It’s hands off.

Antonio Brown’s Helmet Drama Is Exactly What Jon Gruden and the Raiders Bargained For

Excerpt:

I’d pay attention to what Jarrett Stidham is doing in New England. Some scouts saw the Auburn QB as a potential first-rounder going into last fall, and it’s pretty easy to explain away what was a pretty uneven redshirt junior season for him—the option-based system that Gus Malzahn ran was a rough fit for Stidham from the start. In a certain way, New England saw Stidham similarly to how they looked at 2018 seventh-rounder Danny Etling, as a physically gifted player who hadn’t been in the best circumstances as a collegian. The difference is, Stidham’s ceiling is higher. In fact, some evaluators thought he threw the prettiest ball of any of the quarterbacks in the 2019 draft class. That doesn’t count for a ton, but it should illustrate that there’s something to work with.

I’d pay attention to what Jarrett Stidham is doing in New England. Some scouts saw the Auburn QB as a potential first-rounder going into last fall, and it’s pretty easy to explain away what was a pretty uneven redshirt junior season for him—the option-based system that Gus Malzahn ran was a rough fit for Stidham from the start. In a certain way, New England saw Stidham similarly to how they looked at 2018 seventh-rounder Danny Etling, as a physically gifted player who hadn’t been in the best circumstances as a collegian. The difference is, Stidham’s ceiling is higher. In fact, some evaluators thought he threw the prettiest ball of any of the quarterbacks in the 2019 draft class. That doesn’t count for a ton, but it should illustrate that there’s something to work with.
These are the two reasons I grabbed him late in a couple drafts. Worst case I can cut for a better 2020 option, but I remember him being the favorite for 1.1 on "too early" mock drafts this point last year. I find it hard to believe he had the talent then and not now. Also, NE has shown to take mediocre QBs and make them look really good. They took a pretty good qb and made him look fantastic. I think they can make stidham better than he would have been on any other team 

These are the two reasons I grabbed him late in a couple drafts. Worst case I can cut for a better 2020 option, but I remember him being the favorite for 1.1 on "too early" mock drafts this point last year. I find it hard to believe he had the talent then and not now. Also, NE has shown to take mediocre QBs and make them look really good. They took a pretty good qb and made him look fantastic. I think they can make stidham better than he would have been on any other team 
I remember him in the conversation but not as the favorite.

He's a local guy who looked good at times in the SEC, which can be hard to do without a lot of talent around you.  He played well enough in 2017 (especially the iron bowl) that I drafted him 4.03 in a superflex back in early May, while at the same time poorly enough in 18 that the pick was scoffed at. I don't expect much but it's good to see he's doing well so far. 

Stidham could EASILY turn out to be the best QB in this class.

Like by a mile...
Doubtful, like really doubtful. But he certainly has the right team for a later picked QB to get a chance, eventually.

Stidham doesn't have a lot of competition in this class. Murray has FF upside, but I'm referring to straight NFL value.

Nobody will be surprised if Stidham turns out to be the top QB from this class.

Lots of speculation that NE moves on from Brady this next season. Would they do that if they felt that Tom was their best option? 

I feel like Stidham is an enormous discount but, especially with some mocks expecting NE to take a QB early. 

I'd be surprised if NE got into the FA market outside of Marcus Mariota. I'm not concerned about him at all if I own Stidham stock, and am actually hoping NE signs him. 

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of buzz hes getting, the amount of people overlooking him, and expecting NE to sign a guy like Rivers and take a qb round 1. That doesnt seem very Belichick to me. 

Lots of speculation that NE moves on from Brady this next season. Would they do that if they felt that Tom was their best option? 

I feel like Stidham is an enormous discount but, especially with some mocks expecting NE to take a QB early. 

I'd be surprised if NE got into the FA market outside of Marcus Mariota. I'm not concerned about him at all if I own Stidham stock, and am actually hoping NE signs him. 

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of buzz hes getting, the amount of people overlooking him, and expecting NE to sign a guy like Rivers and take a qb round 1. That doesnt seem very Belichick to me. 
Belichick signing Rivers and then drafting a rookie sounds down right stupid, zero chance of that. Him signing Mariota, Dalton or Bridgewater? That I could see. I don't think such a move would preclude the Pats from drafting a QB if one fell. I doubt Stidham has a shot at starting over any of those 3 FAs though and the Pats will have one of them. They aren't great but good coaching and game planning can make them competent (as they have all 3 been at points in their careers). A well run, playoff team doesn't go into week 1 with a round 4 2nd year player and a 1st round rookie. He is a deep league stash only and will probably on get a shot if there is an injury.

I doubt Stidham has a shot at starting over any of those 3 FAs though and the Pats will have one of them. They aren't great but good coaching and game planning can make them competent (as they have all 3 been at points in their careers). A well run, playoff team doesn't go into week 1 with a round 4 2nd year player and a 1st round rookie. He is a deep league stash only and will probably on get a shot if there is an injury.
This is where we disagree. Stidham is much better than his draft pedigree; he was said to be first round talent by many draft evaluators. I think it's far less likely some stranger new to the system comes in and is their best option. Mariota is not a good qb. I say he may sign with NE as Belichick reportedly liked him as a rookie. Maybe he can shine that turd into a diamond, who knows. 

I'll beat the Stidham drum until I'm proven wrong but I think hes a gem that many people are over looking. If he busts, no big deal as he is dirt cheap, but the guy checks every single box for me. 

First, I don’t think TB12 is leaving. Second, I have heard reports that while NE has high hopes for Stidham, internally they don’t feel they could hand him the keys just yet. So they would be looking to add a free agent on a one year prove it deal but probably not someone for big money as a bridge guy. I personally have speculated someone like Alex Smith once WAS moves on from him. I don’t see the Pats making a splash and trying to move up on the draft. That doesn’t seem to be their style. 

No matter who NE suits up at QB, they need more firepower on offense. I would not be shocked if they traded picks for a legit WR1 and somehow added an NFL TE (as opposed to the flotsam and jetsam they rolled out last year). Then they would be right back in business with Edelman, White, a full offseason of Harry, and a chance for Sanu to learn the offense. 

First, I don’t think TB12 is leaving. Second, I have heard reports that while NE has high hopes for Stidham, internally they don’t feel they could hand him the keys just yet. So they would be looking to add a free agent on a one year prove it deal but probably not someone for big money as a bridge guy. I personally have speculated someone like Alex Smith once WAS moves on from him. I don’t see the Pats making a splash and trying to move up on the draft. That doesn’t seem to be their style. 

No matter who NE suits up at QB, they need more firepower on offense. I would not be shocked if they traded picks for a legit WR1 and somehow added an NFL TE (as opposed to the flotsam and jetsam they rolled out last year). Then they would be right back in business with Edelman, White, a full offseason of Harry, and a chance for Sanu to learn the offense. 
I can see them going for Henery or Ebron. Ebron in NE would be pretty solid IMO. 

I agree, no matter what they need more weapons on offense. that's why I dont see them paying Brady 30 mil and getting more weapons. It's one or the other. 

For the record I do agree, Brady will be back with the Pats in 2020. I think he signs a 2 year deal that's basically a 1 year deal. 

I can see them going for Henery or Ebron. Ebron in NE would be pretty solid IMO. 

I agree, no matter what they need more weapons on offense. that's why I dont see them paying Brady 30 mil and getting more weapons. It's one or the other. 
Well, after the 2006 season they added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Gafney. They gave up 2nd and 4th round picks and very low dollars to do so. Crazy things can happen. Unlikely they could pull something like that again, but they aren’t going to sit around and do nothing. 

Well, after the 2006 season they added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Gafney. They gave up 2nd and 4th round picks and very low dollars to do so. Crazy things can happen. Unlikely they could pull something like that again, but they aren’t going to sit around and do nothing. 
Agree. I edited my post above to say I do agree that Brady is back. I'm more interested to see what they do to surround him with better talent. 

For not bank breaking money, they could sign guys like Austin Hooper, AJ Green or draft Jalen Reagor. Add that to Edelman, Sanu and Harry and they would have no excuse for not having an explosive offense. 

For not bank breaking money, they could sign guys like Austin Hooper, AJ Green or draft Jalen Reagor. Add that to Edelman, Sanu and Harry and they would have no excuse for not having an explosive offense. 
I haven't kept up with their OL, how is that going into 2020?

Likely going to need some help there at tackle and guard but I dom't know enough about any of their depth to say if they have guys on the roster who can step up.

The high profile FA tight ends are Hooper and Henry. That alone will make them pretty costly. Green was making $15 million a year. I am guessing he won’t come cheaply. And rookie receivers have historically done very little in Year 1 in NE. They have several in house free agents to sign besides Brady, so they will have to get very creative in order to both keep the guys they have and/or bring in new playmakers. 

G Joe Thuney was 2nd team All Pro last year and will likely move on for top dollar someplace else. LT Isaiah Wynn was fine when played he but was injured each of his first two season. C David Andrews was great in 2018 but missed last year with a blood clot issue. He mentioned being ready to go but has not been cleared to play. G Shaw Mason was a beast in 2018 and his performance dropped some in 2019, perhaps due to injury. RT Marcus Cannon was once really good but is getting along in years and is turning 32. The OL was an issue the first half of the season with multiple injuries and a strength over the second half of the season. Depth became an issue with multiple injuries. Loosing OL Coach Dante Scarnecchia to retirement will be a big loss. He retired once before but still served as a consultant for draft prep and to coach up the younger lineman. Not sure if he is done done or just partly done. 

The high profile FA tight ends are Hooper and Henry. That alone will make them pretty costly. Green was making $15 million a year. I am guessing he won’t come cheaply. And rookie receivers have historically done very little in Year 1 in NE. They have several in house free agents to sign besides Brady, so they will have to get very creative in order to both keep the guys they have and/or bring in new playmakers. 
Green is 31 and has played 9 games the last 2 years. I would be surprised if he gets paid a huge deal and I can imagine him willing to take a fair deal to play in New England for a contender. Hooper and Henry will likely become the top paid NFL TEs but TE contracts are even less than RB contracts. 

Likely going to need some help there at tackle and guard but I dom't know enough about any of their depth to say if they have guys on the roster who can step up.
They drafted and stashed a tackle and a guard last draft, but it remains to be seen if they are viable options. They have a few other guys they snagged as free agents and guys they had on the practice squad, but those are likely hopes and prayers more so than anything they can count on. 

Last I read / saw, CIN wasn’t going to let Green walk and they would tag him if they had to. So he would probably have to be acquired by trade, not through free agency. 

They have the cap space and want weapons to help their rookie QB develop?
Obviously they are more optimistic on his health and what he can do at age 32 following all these lower body injuries. Giving him $20 million or whatever the franchise comes to seems like a poor choice and that’s before even considering AJ might be mad about the tag and the potential he refuses to sign it. 

I might be jumping to conclusions(though I was never a fan of his) but I think Stidham is 50-50 to make the team. I'd be shocked if Brady actually left, that feels like the media wanting to make a mountain of a molehill. 

Stidham has decent physical tools, but got worse every year in college. He also was the only QB I've ever seen, who played so poorly closing out a game, that the Patriots put Brady back in. 

I could absolutely see the Patriots re-signing Brady and drafting a QB, in fact, I think those are the likely outcomes. Who and how high are both reasonable questions, but I'm not sure Stidham has, or should have, any job security. 

I'll keep banging this drum until I'm the last one at the party, and I'm okay with that. I realize the odds are against Stidham, but I am all in regardless... 

I also expect Brady to be back in NE. 60 mil from LV, if legit, is a very "put up or shut up" situation for Brady though

Dr. Dan said:
I'll keep banging this drum until I'm the last one at the party, and I'm okay with that. I realize the odds are against Stidham, but I am all in regardless... 

I also expect Brady to be back in NE. 60 mil from LV, if legit, is a very "put up or shut up" situation for Brady though
With the noise that Detroit is trying to trade Stafford, has anyone considered Brady to Detroit?  He could step right in and possibly compete for a SB immediately with the talent on that team.  

Stafford is better than Brady at this point.
Probably true. Stafford was having a season similar to 2011 last year (only more efficient) before missing the second half of the year. But his last couple of seasons prior to last year weren’t anything to write home about. We can continue to debate who the options were catching the ball last year. It’s pretty clear the receivers in DET were better then those in NE. 

A healthy Stafford playing indoors in DET is better than a banged up Brady playing in NE. Not sure about a healthy Brady compared to a banged up Stafford (and who knows if that is the case right now). Stafford is due $21.3 million this year but moving on from him would carry a $32 million cap charge. Not sure it would make any sense for the Lions to even think about that. 

Users who are viewing this thread