What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Youth Soccer - Questions, Discussion and Stories (1 Viewer)

SwampDawg

Footballguy
So as we move into the fall soccer season I know we have Righetti who we've enjoyed reading about his growth as a coach, Marshall Plan with experience at a top regional club, and others with kids playing. I thought I would start a thread we could discuss the different goings on in the youth soccer world.

Personally my son switched travel teams and this will be his first year playing middle school soccer as well so interested to see how the season goes. Going to be a lot of soccer during the week with 3 middle school games, practices and two travel practices until the school season ends in early October. Fortunately the one advantage to him having a fall birthday is this is the only year it will be an issue. Next year as an 8th grader most of his travel team will be 9th graders so they will be on the HS travel schedule and get the fall season off from club soccer and just play for the school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so for all the soccer threads we have I always feel bad dragging them off topic to talk about the youth side so I started this thread a few years ago with no traction, going to try again to get it going.

I've learned a ton over the past 11 years from U6 up to U16 now, still have a ton more to learn, hoping to make this a thread a place we can share war stories and ask questions on our kids youth soccer days.

First @Righettiwhat is the latest on your coaching exploits and daughters team?

On my sons front it's been a wild two years. Plan had been to stay with the team he moved to (do to the club he had been at consolidating teams) for a year then explore his options. Well Covid nixed that as very few teams held tryouts in spring 2020. In the end it worked out great, his team he was playing for brought in a trainer for their weekday training sessions from a high level club they are affiliated with. He just happened to be their director of coaching and 06 boys (my sons age group) coach and he took a liking to my son. He invited him to start training with his team in March and they added him to their US Club soccer roster so he could play few games for them. He joined them full time the end of May when his other teams season ended. The team won their US Club Premier league and EDP Premier II league, went to South Carolina for the US Club Eastern Regionals and got to the final game to qualify for Nationals before losing 2-1.

We didn't really expect he would be playing into the last week of June when we booked vacation last fall so had to do some rearranging but the experience was well worth it. For next year they will be moving up to play ECNL and EDP Club vs Club Premier I. It will be a challenge but its a great group of boys and good coaches so they hope to qualify for playoffs for both US Club and USYS.

For now we are on the fall break as he starts his high school career the next few months. It's funny after watching the high level the club team played at watching high school seems like going back to his local travel team days.

I don't think any of the soccer thread regulars coach...but I doubt would mind this being talked about in the main soccer thread. Were always talking about national team youth, and I know some of the guys have kids involved or recently finished. I'd personally love to hear about this stuff, but don't have anything to contribute that isn't 30 years old.

I don't think any of the soccer thread regulars coach...but I doubt would mind this being talked about in the main soccer thread. Were always talking about national team youth, and I know some of the guys have kids involved or recently finished. I'd personally love to hear about this stuff, but don't have anything to contribute that isn't 30 years old.
Yea I've asked questions in there from time to time and gotten great feedback.  Just always feel like it isn't the proper place for some discussion. Like we are looking at video recording systems (Veo and Trace) for my sons team. Both for the coaches to use and for the kids to start putting together film for college recruiting. Would love to hear what systems others are using but that doesn't really seem like the place for it.

My 8 year old boy-girl twins will be playing this fall on a rec team.  Both played last fall on the same team.  This season the league has said that they want to split up the boys from the girls.  We weren't happy about that since it's unlikely game times / locations will coincide.  But it will likely be better for my daughter since she wasn't getting enough play time to really improve.

We didn't do indoor this winter due to COVID.  There were no practices last fall due to COVID.  Not sure if there's any practice time this fall.

l won't coach and I try not to yell on the sidelines...  That's due to my father being an ####### at my youth sports games.   

Ok so for all the soccer threads we have I always feel bad dragging them off topic to talk about the youth side so I started this thread a few years ago with no traction, going to try again to get it going.

I've learned a ton over the past 11 years from U6 up to U16 now, still have a ton more to learn, hoping to make this a thread a place we can share war stories and ask questions on our kids youth soccer days.

First @Righettiwhat is the latest on your coaching exploits and daughters team?

On my sons front it's been a wild two years. Plan had been to stay with the team he moved to (do to the club he had been at consolidating teams) for a year then explore his options. Well Covid nixed that as very few teams held tryouts in spring 2020. In the end it worked out great, his team he was playing for brought in a trainer for their weekday training sessions from a high level club they are affiliated with. He just happened to be their director of coaching and 06 boys (my sons age group) coach and he took a liking to my son. He invited him to start training with his team in March and they added him to their US Club soccer roster so he could play few games for them. He joined them full time the end of May when his other teams season ended. The team won their US Club Premier league and EDP Premier II league, went to South Carolina for the US Club Eastern Regionals and got to the final game to qualify for Nationals before losing 2-1.

We didn't really expect he would be playing into the last week of June when we booked vacation last fall so had to do some rearranging but the experience was well worth it. For next year they will be moving up to play ECNL and EDP Club vs Club Premier I. It will be a challenge but its a great group of boys and good coaches so they hope to qualify for playoffs for both US Club and USYS.

For now we are on the fall break as he starts his high school career the next few months. It's funny after watching the high level the club team played at watching high school seems like going back to his local travel team days.
I'm sitting at a high school Captains practice right now watching my son from the truck. He's going into his junior year now. I coached many of these kids, but yeah, the quality is pretty bad after the top six or so here now.  Almost impossible to play the possession style my juniors are used to.  They have done professional training (in addition to working with me) their whole lives.  Unfortunately the ten seniors mostly never did.  Although my son may start at striker and get personal glory, it's gonna be a long fall looking at the table, lol.  

Club wise, my son will also be in the ECNL.  We are in the northeast.  I don't know much about it yet, but that team is LOADED.  He's been more of a target or false nine with that group, but he's getting much quicker now.  He just stole the ball from the CB and ripped a lefty shot from distance as I'm typing.  🙂 Just missed.

My 8 year old boy-girl twins will be playing this fall on a rec team.  Both played last fall on the same team.  This season the league has said that they want to split up the boys from the girls.  We weren't happy about that since it's unlikely game times / locations will coincide.  But it will likely be better for my daughter since she wasn't getting enough play time to really improve.

We didn't do indoor this winter due to COVID.  There were no practices last fall due to COVID.  Not sure if there's any practice time this fall.

l won't coach and I try not to yell on the sidelines...  That's due to my father being an ####### at my youth sports games.   
Wow that is tough with no practices, at any age but especially when they are young like that they can really soak up the skills. I know a lot of the rec programs around here canceled the entire fall rec season last year. Fortunately travel was able to train and play although the schedule was choppy in the fall, spring was much more normal. Hopefully it works out well for them. I know around here a lot of times they will play girls on Saturday and boys on Sundays say because of field availability, maybe you could suggest that.

And fully agree on the last part. I coached when he played baseball and helped at basketball but I knew nothing about soccer so got to just be a parent on the sideline. Found I need to be busy when I watch and I was always a bit of a shutterbug so have been upgrading my equipment over the years and played photographer which the other parents always seem to enjoy getting pictures of their kids in action.

I can't believe it, but I have been coaching and managing for twenty eight years now.  The number one thing I tell all of my coaches, and even the new parents getting into coaching, is there is no such thing as a right or wrong way to do everything.  What I mean is, what works for one kid, group, or team, isn't always the "right" way for everyone.  The best coaches are ALWAYS learning, and we usually have to be creative and think outside the box.  Sometimes you will get ridiculed and second guessed by parents if it doesn't work, but if you have good reasons and a good plan, many times it will.   

My point to Floppo is, even thirty year old ideas are still great ideas often.  So please bring them in anytime. 

Yea I've asked questions in there from time to time and gotten great feedback.  Just always feel like it isn't the proper place for some discussion. Like we are looking at video recording systems (Veo and Trace) for my sons team. Both for the coaches to use and for the kids to start putting together film for college recruiting. Would love to hear what systems others are using but that doesn't really seem like the place for it.
We used Veo at futsal during covid.  We live streamed to parents, and later we did every game for the league.   It was really great.  I am not sure how it translates to full field soccer though.

I'm sitting at a high school Captains practice right now watching my son from the truck. He's going into his junior year now. I coached many of these kids, but yeah, the quality is pretty bad after the top six or so here now.  Almost impossible to play the possession style my juniors are used to.  They have done professional training (in addition to working with me) their whole lives.  Unfortunately the ten seniors mostly never did.  Although my son may start at striker and get personal glory, it's gonna be a long fall looking at the table, lol.  

Club wise, my son will also be in the ECNL.  We are in the northeast.  I don't know much about it yet, but that team is LOADED.  He's been more of a target or false nine with that group, but he's getting much quicker now.  He just stole the ball from the CB and ripped a lefty shot from distance as I'm typing.  🙂 Just missed.
Similar story here, we are a small school and only have 6 or 7 kids that play club soccer on the high school team. None of them seniors, the junior class is talented and has 4 or 5, no sophomores and then my sons freshman class that has him and one other and a third kid that is just an amazing athlete that could play on a solid club team but plays AAU basketball.  Talent wise my son in the best LB they could start, it's the position he plays for his club and he knows how to play it. But he's a freshman and as he says outside those 4 or 5 juniors when he overlaps and makes a run no one else on the team knows enough to find or to then help defensively.

We are Northeast for ECNL (but about as far south as you get being in SE PA) since your son is a Junior I'm guessing U17 or U18?  We're U16 so won't be running into you.  

she wasn't getting enough play time to really improve.

Your rec league gives more playing to better players at 8 years old?  That seems completely insane to me and I can't imagine being the case at any age in my town.  In fact, our experience has been that even the travel teams give everyone plenty of playing time up to U14.  Not sure about school teams, since my daughter's middle school soccer 'career' was wiped out by Covid and she hasn't started high school yet.  But generally the philosophy seems to be "if there are players who aren't good enough to get on the field, create a new team", whether that's a 'B team' in the sex/age group for travel or more rec league teams or a freshman team in high school.

Similar story here, we are a small school and only have 6 or 7 kids that play club soccer on the high school team. None of them seniors, the junior class is talented and has 4 or 5, no sophomores and then my sons freshman class that has him and one other and a third kid that is just an amazing athlete that could play on a solid club team but plays AAU basketball.  Talent wise my son in the best LB they could start, it's the position he plays for his club and he knows how to play it. But he's a freshman and as he says outside those 4 or 5 juniors when he overlaps and makes a run no one else on the team knows enough to find or to then help defensively.

We are Northeast for ECNL (but about as far south as you get being in SE PA) since your son is a Junior I'm guessing U17 or U18?  We're U16 so won't be running into you.  

My HS experience was similar. I played everything just short of youth national team while most of the kids on the team didn't even play club. Even though we were a perennial playoff team, the fact that all of my club team teammates were split between two other HSs meant not chance to take the title. Sucked playing with a bunch of stoners who didn't really care that much. Felt like wasted time and almost quit Jr and Sr years.

We used Veo at futsal during covid.  We live streamed to parents, and later we did every game for the league.   It was really great.  I am not sure how it translates to full field soccer though.
Yea I've talked to a handful that use Veo and everyone seems to be happy with it and from the demos they sent us it looks really nice on the full pitch. Trace is newer and has some really cool features, each kid puts a tracer chip in their sock and you can instantly pull up individual highlights as well as all sorts of analytics. The problem is their pricing model, Veo you buy the camera then it is like $1500 a year which split between 18 families is pretty reasonable. Trace is a pure lease and like $3600 a year. Not sure it has enough value and that price difference.

My 9yo daughter missed out on making the local club team last year.  She was about the only one that didn't make it.  Like 3 other girls didn't make it. Kind of relieved, but I hope she enjoys rec again.   If she can improve a little, she should be one of the better ones in rec.  

Taking up head coaching duties for my 6 yo daughter.  She moved to a U8 all girls league now.  She's going to be pretty good.  Hope I don't mess her up!  

Your rec league gives more playing to better players at 8 years old?  That seems completely insane to me and I can't imagine being the case at any age in my town.  In fact, our experience has been that even the travel teams give everyone plenty of playing time up to U14.  Not sure about school teams, since my daughter's middle school soccer 'career' was wiped out by Covid and she hasn't started high school yet.  But generally the philosophy seems to be "if there are players who aren't good enough to get on the field, create a new team", whether that's a 'B team' in the sex/age group for travel or more rec league teams or a freshman team in high school.
I didn't state it properly.  No one was getting enough playing time to improve.  She could have used it more than my son who is more likely to want to kick the ball around the park than she is.

Oh, and despite my son being a decent player in rec ball, I have no desire to put him on a travel team.  Hopefully he doesn't beg me as it'll be tough to turn down.

Yea I missed that on my initial read. Not sure why at U8 rec you wouldn't be dividing playing time fairly evenly. As @zoobird said really even travel up until we moved to his current team everyone played half or close to half the game. Some may have played more if they were better but no one wasn't getting decent playing time. Now on his current team he knows he needs to work hard in training and earn his playing time. The coach told him that when he offered him the spot and he turned down a spot on another team that he likely would have started because he wanted to be at the highest level he could get to.

Oh, and despite my son being a decent player in rec ball, I have no desire to put him on a travel team.  Hopefully he doesn't beg me as it'll be tough to turn down.
Not sure of your area but around here the entry level travel programs aren't bad. They are basically the same local clubs that run rec programs higher level players and all the games for us were in the same county. Basically they same area our school teams play against. If they show an interest it was a great way to see if they really enjoyed the game at a higher level before looking for higher level clubs.  Now once you get into the premier travel teams that goes out the window and you can start racking up the Holiday Inn points lol.

My 9yo daughter missed out on making the local club team last year.  She was about the only one that didn't make it.  Like 3 other girls didn't make it. Kind of relieved, but I hope she enjoys rec again.   If she can improve a little, she should be one of the better ones in rec.  

Taking up head coaching duties for my 6 yo daughter.  She moved to a U8 all girls league now.  She's going to be pretty good.  Hope I don't mess her up!  
I never coached as I didn't know much about soccer when my son started. Only advice I have is get her playing with both the right and left foot. Even at the older kids age on really good teams I see so many kids that can't play with their non dominant foot.

My HS experience was similar. I played everything just short of youth national team while most of the kids on the team didn't even play club. Even though we were a perennial playoff team, the fact that all of my club team teammates were split between two other HSs meant not chance to take the title. Sucked playing with a bunch of stoners who didn't really care that much. Felt like wasted time and almost quit Jr and Sr years.
We have that two school issue in my city also.  It's unfortunate as our best players are split pretty even between the two.  Population wise we should be one school.

I think that will sort itself out independent of your desire. 
Probably... but we live in Baltimore city so there isn't much penetration of travel teams since there isn't a huge population of kids that have the means to pay for that kind of team.

Also, my son is left handed (throws, writes, kicks) but has always played well with both feet.  He prefers defense, but hates goalie. 

Probably... but we live in Baltimore city so there isn't much penetration of travel teams since there isn't a huge population of kids that have the means to pay for that kind of team.

Also, my son is left handed (throws, writes, kicks) but has always played well with both feet.  He prefers defense, but hates goalie. 
There are some very high level travel teams around your area. Nothing wrong with defense, my son has always preferred defense, every coach had always tried to convert him because he is very fast and plays with both feet but he always falls back so they would let him play defense. The one place it hurt him was tryouts early on, because when you have 40 kids coaches tend to notice those that flash skills which is easier to do on offense. It took until he got to the level that coaches were looking to build a team and looking for specific positions that he got noticed.

Our town travel program is like $900 for the year, and we have professional academy coaches from the Revs running the teams.  It's not that bad when you think about it.  Fall, two indoors seasons, and spring.  So like thirty two weeks of soccer at least.

My 8 year old begged me to sign up for travel solely because her friend's dad was the coach.  4 years later we are playing in 2 separate fall leagues, multiple tournaments and practicing 3 nights a week. :loco:

Our town travel program is like $900 for the year, and we have professional academy coaches from the Revs running the teams.  It's not that bad when you think about it.  Fall, two indoors seasons, and spring.  So like thirty two weeks of soccer at least.
That is damn good for a town travel team. I mean the price is a little more then your normal town travel team but you are getting a ton out of it and quality. When we played on the town travel (U9-U12 fulltime and duel rostered at U13) it was like $250 bucks but that was dad coached fall and spring and 1 local tournament. We were lucky we had a dad that knew soccer and committed parents so we usually did a little more and just split the extra costs but most teams didn't.

We're in the Northeast ECNL too.  My youngest is on the 2008's.  Oldest (2006) is on the pre-ECNL squad as a full time GK.  He's stuck behind a pretty phenomenal GK on the ECNL team.

What club in SE PA?  We're at Sporting DE.  I'm the (outgoing) President at Kirkwood.

That is damn good for a town travel team. I mean the price is a little more then your normal town travel team but you are getting a ton out of it and quality. When we played on the town travel (U9-U12 fulltime and duel rostered at U13) it was like $250 bucks but that was dad coached fall and spring and 1 local tournament. We were lucky we had a dad that knew soccer and committed parents so we usually did a little more and just split the extra costs but most teams didn't.
It's my legacy, lol.  I put that all together fwiw   🙂

We're in the Northeast ECNL too.  My youngest is on the 2008's.  Oldest (2006) is on the pre-ECNL squad as a full time GK.  He's stuck behind a pretty phenomenal GK on the ECNL team.

What club in SE PA?  We're at Sporting DE.  I'm the (outgoing) President at Kirkwood.
Well technically we play for PA Dominion but for ECNL we will be playing as FC Bucks. My understanding is on the boys side they (FC Bucks) were a shambles the last few years but have a good girls program. Our club is stronger on the boys side and was looking for a way to get them into ECNL (we were PRCL last year and won or finished second at each age group ) so they formed a partnership. I believe since they hold the charter in their name we will actually be wearing their kits for ECNL games.

Any idea if they are going to split the Northeast into North and South divisions? I saw last year they did but looking at the way the teams are located there doesn't seem to be a logical way to do it evenly, you would have teams in NYC area split between North and South.

Do you guys have a link to your league?  I don't know much about ECNL life yet, and I think we have two 2005 teams in.  B...a...y.. s...i...d..e...fc lol.  Parents are tough, don't want them here on a google search lol.  I forgot how to do the :code:

Well technically we play for PA Dominion but for ECNL we will be playing as FC Bucks. My understanding is on the boys side they (FC Bucks) were a shambles the last few years but have a good girls program. Our club is stronger on the boys side and was looking for a way to get them into ECNL (we were PRCL last year and won or finished second at each age group ) so they formed a partnership. I believe since they hold the charter in their name we will actually be wearing their kits for ECNL games.

Any idea if they are going to split the Northeast into North and South divisions? I saw last year they did but looking at the way the teams are located there doesn't seem to be a logical way to do it evenly, you would have teams in NYC area split between North and South.
It was split last year, but this year it will not be split.

Interesting on the partnership; that's exactly what happened with us Kirkwood -> Sporting DE.  FC Bucks ECNL was pretty rough from the age groups I watched.  :unsure:  

Do you guys have a link to your league?  I don't know much about ECNL life yet, and I think we have two 2005 teams in.  B...a...y.. s...i...d..e...fc lol.  Parents are tough, don't want them here on a google search lol.  I forgot how to do the :code:
Oh baby...  Our 2005 boys are legit; have a few that are on the outskirts of Union Academy.  I smell some smack talk in the near future.  :boxing:

It was split last year, but this year it will not be split.

Interesting on the partnership; that's exactly what happened with us Kirkwood -> Sporting DE.  FC Bucks ECNL was pretty rough from the age groups I watched.  :unsure:  
Guess I'll get some use from those hotel points I've been saving heading to New England.

Yea their ECNL teams were really bad from what I heard, not sure about other age groups but the kids were invited to attend a few of our trainings to see if we would possibly add any of them. No idea what the coaches are thinking but from what I saw watching maybe one kid would have a shot on our team.

Oh baby...  Our 2005 boys are legit; have a few that are on the outskirts of Union Academy.  I smell some smack talk in the near future.  :boxing:
Our 05 boys won the USYS Eastern Regionals and went to Nationals.  Should be a good division.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Our 05 boys won the USYS Eastern Regionals and went to Nationals.  Should be a good division.
I think our 2004's just won nationals. I saw posts about a national championship but honestly didn't follow up.

Our 2005 boys are solid.  We have some very athletic big dudes.  My son was new to this group after Covid   I'm curious to see where he slots in next spring.  He's finally taking fitness very seriously.  He also is like 6'1 all of a sudden, lol. I'm excited for him as a dad.

• Smile
I think our 2004's just won nationals. I saw posts about a national championship but honestly didn't follow up.

Our 2005 boys are solid.  We have some very athletic big dudes.  My son was new to this group after Covid   I'm curious to see where he slots in next spring.  He's finally taking fitness very seriously.  He also is like 6'1 all of a sudden, lol. I'm excited for him as a dad.
he's a little young to be a dad, IMO. but I guess you guys do things differently down there.

Up here, right?   But yeah.  He just turned 16 in June.  Doesn't even want to drive.  I'm like the team bus.
up, down... who keeps track, really.

eta:  :lol:  thought you were in DE/PA area.

So between you, @Ned and I we have the 05, 06 and 08 ECNL boys in the north east covered. Sounds like we could all likely end up in the same spot at sometime for a tournament. Will have to have a cornhole.

So between you, @Ned and I we have the 05, 06 and 08 ECNL boys in the north east covered. Sounds like we could all likely end up in the same spot at sometime for a tournament. Will have to have a cornhole.
I wonder if Randalls boys are still playing.  They were GPS if I remember right, not sure if they are at my spot now.  I'll have to check.  Wonder how he is doing too.  

04 ECNL was won by Eclipse from Chicago this year. My son’s team made it to the quarterfinals but lost to a team from San Diego. 

Our club had 3 teams (04,05 and 06) make it to the Nationals in St Louis.  04’s lost in the quarterfinals, 05 lost in the finals and 06 won it all.

Also, ECNL just released the overall club rankings today.  San Diego Surf is numbe r 1, followed by Dallas FC, Eclipse and Carolina Elite (our Club).

• Smile
04 ECNL was won by Eclipse from Chicago this year. My son’s team made it to the quarterfinals but lost to a team from San Diego. 

Our club had 3 teams (04,05 and 06) make it to the Nationals in St Louis.  04’s lost in the quarterfinals, 05 lost in the finals and 06 won it all.

Also, ECNL just released the overall club rankings today.  San Diego Surf is numbe r 1, followed by Dallas FC, Eclipse and Carolina Elite (our Club).
Huh.  Now I gotta go see what they won, lol.

I guess this is what they won.  "the US Club Soccer national championship in Colorado last month, the top prize for club teams around the country"

I guess this is what they won.  "the US Club Soccer national championship in Colorado last month, the top prize for club teams around the country"
I get confused with all of the letters (ECNL, NPL, etc.) so I had to look this up.  It looks like this is based on teams that won their state cups.  I know our ECNL teams do not play in the state league, only the ECNL league.  It looks like there are some ECNL teams that do play in the state league and that is why they attended this tournament.

I get confused with all of the letters (ECNL, NPL, etc.) so I had to look this up.  It looks like this is based on teams that won their state cups.  I know our ECNL teams do not play in the state league, only the ECNL league.  It looks like there are some ECNL teams that do play in the state league and that is why they attended this tournament.
It's a good example of how watered down things are resulting in a lot of talented kids falling through the cracks on the National team level.  USYS & US Club need to work together and become one, IMO.

Then it's all completely different on the girls side.  :loco:  

My son's story with youth soccer is that he played for a couple different good local clubs for about 10 years, but then had to eventually choose between soccer and volleyball as the seasons conflicted in high school.  He went with volleyball as his main sport for school and club, but still plays soccer for what is essentially a glorified rec league club team.  The good news is that I think he's having more fun playing soccer than he's ever had before.  Once the pressure came off, he's started to enjoy it much more.  My goal for him was always that he would love the game and hopefully play intramurals/bar league teams into his college years and beyond, and I think he's well set up for that now if he chooses. He also refs for a few local leagues and that's a fantastic job for him - very good money, cash in hand, and he's with friends having fun for the most part (he's had a few coach/parent run-ins that have been unpleasant, but for the most part its been a great gig.)

Users who are viewing this thread